X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • comeup
    • Jul 2005

Pro Logic II Or Stereo

Happy new years everyone

I'm sitting here listening to classic jazz on sirus radio on dish network switching stereo and pro logic 2 back and forth trying to figure out which one I like better. I normally listen to music in two channel, but i'm starting to like pro logic II it's so much better than the old pro logic. You can't even tell that the centre speaker is being used. These engineers are good how do you take something already in two channel and by the click of a button turn it into surround music and sound right without the sound being thrown all over the place?

Which do you like and why?
    Blake
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

I'm a bit of a purist so I prefer 2-channel, but DPLII is about the best matrixed sound I've heard.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

I too have always been a purist, listening to things only in their native formats. HOWEVER, once Parasound added DPLIIx (more than DPLII) to my processor, I found that I enjoyed it so much, now I use it for ALL my sources, whether it be music, movies, television, or even the Playstation 3.

Dolby Labs really did DPLIIx right--I enjoy the soundfield it adds to every source, without screwing up the sound. (anybody remember the old DSP's like "Concert Hall" or "Stadium?) **shudder**
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

Always remember to set up PLII as well. Most receivers default it to no rears and a ton of center.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Burke Strickland
          • Sep 2001

(anybody remember the old DSP's like "Concert Hall" or "Stadium?) **shudder**
          Those old reverb-heavy DSP choices should have been labled "Shudder" -- or "Cringe", "Recoil in disgust", "Put fingers in ears", etcetera.... :>)

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• comeup
            • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Chris D
            HOWEVER, once Parasound added DPLIIx (more than DPLII) to my processor, I found that I enjoyed it so much, ALL my sources, whether it be music, movies, television, or even the Playstation 3.
            Chris,

whats the difference between II/x I have an B&K REF 50 with only II
            Last edited by Chris D; 27 May 2016, 00:02 Friday.
            Blake

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

Well, the primary thing is DPL IIx extracts everything to 7.1, instead of 5.1 with DPL/DPLII, so I get a more enveloping sound field that goes all the way around me, not stopping at my sides. As far as more technical stuff, I'd have to refer you to Dolby info, but since IIx was created after II, I would assume that it also uses improved processing for more natural sound.
              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Chris D
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Dec 2000

Originally posted by Burke Strickland
                Those old reverb-heavy DSP choices should have been labled "Shudder" -- or "Cringe", "Recoil in disgust", "Put fingers in ears", etcetera.... :>)
                Literally. I would go to people's houses that would play things on their stereos with various DSP's, and have to leave the room. For a bit after I got my first true theater receiver, (Yamaha RX-V2095) my wife would play music with the "Party" DSP. It was painful.
                CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• comeup
                  • Jul 2005

I wonder if the B&K REF S2 has it I can upgrade the S1 to S2 I'll have to check it out.
                  Blake

Comment

• Kevin D
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Oct 2002

Well, the primary thing is DPL IIx extracts everything to 7.1, instead of 5.1 with DPL/DPLII, so I get a more enveloping sound field that goes all the way around me, not stopping at my sides. As far as more technical stuff, I'd have to refer you to Dolby info, but since IIx was created after II, I would assume that it also uses improved processing for more natural sound.

Plus IIx can be applied to 5.1 digital sources to get 7.1 as well. I find DD+PLIIx a lot better then a true DD-EX track.

Kevin D.
                    Last edited by Chris D; 27 May 2016, 00:03 Friday.

Comment

• John Holmes
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by comeup
                      I wonder if the B&K REF S2 has it I can upgrade the S1 to S2 I'll have to check it out.
                      Yes the S2 has PLIIx. Though I'm not sure if it would be a real benefit. Your Ref 50 will run PLII out of 1 or 7 speakers. But Chris maybe right about PLIIx having better steering.
                      "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• comeup
                        • Jul 2005

John, you know how it is, always thinking of upgrading, maybe i'll get some other features out of the upgrade.
                        Blake

Comment

• Jeff
                          • Dec 2004

Everyones comments about IIx seems to be directed towards a 7 speaker set up. Will IIx perform better than PLII with only a 5.1 set up?

Comment

• Kevin D
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Oct 2002

Originally posted by Jeff
                            Everyones comments about IIx seems to be directed towards a 7 speaker set up. Will IIx perform better than PLII with only a 5.1 set up?
                            On most systems I've seen, you won't even have an option for IIx with only 5.1 speakers setup.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Ovation
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Sep 2004

The system will default to PLII (no "x") if the set up is 5.1. I use DPLII Movie for all my TV watching (except sports--my receiver's "Enhanced" DSP setting is quite good for hockey games). I use DPLII Music for casual listening of the music channels on my cable box (they are broadcast in Dolby 2.0) but I don't usually listen to DPLII Music with my 2 channel sources. I prefer discrete to matrixed MCH with music for critical listening.

Comment

• audioqueso
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Nov 2004

My tv audio is always set to DPLII. My setup is not 5.1 or 7.1, but it still sounds better for an audio from my Directv.
                                B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• aud19
                                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2003

I tend to use use DPLII for non critical listening (up and about doing chores etc) but stereo when I'm doing serious listening. I've found some discs sound better/worse with DPLII so it requires some experimenting too.
                                  Jason

Comment

• John Holmes
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by comeup
                                    John, you know how it is, always thinking of upgrading, maybe i'll get some other features out of the upgrade.
                                    Yes you will! :B Including PLIIx. But since this is a thread about DPL II/IIx vs. stereo , I'll just leave it at that.
                                    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• clearwaterms
                                      • Nov 2006

I used to listen to my music through the cable box on the PII music setting alot, however now I just listen in stereo. I found that the music setting is great only if you are sitting in the (forgive my incorrect terms) 'sound pocket' that exists when you are between the left and right channels. and often times I listen to music while doing something else which puts me in and out of that 'pocket' and the vocals seem disconnected.

Comment

• chinets
                                        • Jun 2005

I personally prefer the Pro Logic II over stereo ,especially when watching satellite T.V., or when you play a CD and are listening to the music while talking to friends etc.... but for serious Music audition sessions ,Stereo No doubt!!
                                        Cheers!

Comment

• David Meek
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Aug 2000

No doubt! :T

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• mitch57
                                            • Nov 2004

I too have always been a purist, listening to things only in their native formats. HOWEVER, once Parasound added DPLIIx (more than DPLII) to my processor, I found that I enjoyed it so much, now I use it for ALL my sources, whether it be music, movies, television, or even the Playstation 3.

Dolby Labs really did DPLIIx right--I enjoy the soundfield it adds to every source, without screwing up the sound. (anybody remember the old DSP's like "Concert Hall" or "Stadium?) **shudder**
                                            You use DPLIIx even when you play a DVD decoded in Dolby Digital? I don't see how/why DPLIIx would be better then the original sound track. I always assumed DPLIIx was primarily used to take two channels and discretely separate them into 5.1 or 7.1. If the recording is already discretely recorded with 5.1 why would you use DPLII or DPLIIx over the original? I would think it would sound worse. But then I don't know that much about the two formats to make any informed judgments on either one.

Anyone care to educate me or point me in the right direction?
                                            Last edited by Chris D; 27 May 2016, 00:03 Friday.
                                            Mitch
                                            :stupidpc:

Comment

• Chris D
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Dec 2000

Originally posted by mitch57
                                              You use DPLIIx even when you play a DVD decoded in Dolby Digital? I don't see how/why DPLIIx would be better then the original sound track. I always assumed DPLIIx was primarily used to take two channels and discretely separate them into 5.1 or 7.1. If the recording is already discretely recorded with 5.1 why would you use DPLII or DPLIIx over the original? I would think it would sound worse. But then I don't know that much about the two formats to make any informed judgments on either one.

Anyone care to educate me or point me in the right direction?
                                              Sure, Mitch. Yes, I do use DPLIIx for all audio formats, and yes, that does include Dolby Digital. Taking something encoded in 5.1, I have not noticed any degradation (or for that matter noticeable modification) of those 5.1 channels when using IIx. However, DPLIIx takes ***ANY*** sound format you throw at it, and extracts it to my 7.1 theater system. So by using it with DD (or DTS) I get it additionally matrixed to my rear two channels to get 7.1. The sound field becomes just a little more immersive, so instead of wrapping from the sides of my head forward, giving me 180 degrees of sound from my head like I'm sitting on the edge of the soundfield, I now get ***360 degrees*** of sound around me, placing me right INSIDE the soundfield.

I become more immersed and engrossed in the media, whether it be movie or music.
                                              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• mitch57
                                                • Nov 2004

I see. But there wouldn't be any advantage in a 5.1 setup to use DPLIIx since I don't have the extra two speakers correct? On the other hand, if I did have the extra two speakers it might be another story.
                                                Mitch
                                                :stupidpc:

Comment

• Club1820
                                                  • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Kevin D
                                                  Always remember to set up PLII as well. Most receivers default it to no rears and a ton of center.

Kevin D.
                                                  Kevin, how would you go about setting this up on the Rotel Pre/Pro 1068? I set my speaker levels with the test tone and RS SPL meter. Is this not sufficient? Or do I have to do something else for the PLIIx mode to be correctly set up?

Thanks.
                                                  Rotel 1068, Rotel 1060, Rotel 1055, Rotel 1095, Rotel 956, Rotel RLC-1040, M&K VX-860 Sub, Whatmough M30s, Squeezebox 3

Comment

• Chris D
                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                    • Dec 2000

Right, Mitch. If I only had a 5.1 theater, I wouldn't bother using DPLIIx with DD or DTS material. For that matter, I wouldn't use ANY processing with something 5.1 if I had a 5.1 theater, other than maybe THX equalizing. Once I get equipment that can use true 7.1 audio from the new HD audio formats, I won't be using any processing on the 7.1 audio.

The only reason I use DPLIIx right now is to get 7.1 audio out of any audio that I play.
                                                    CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Kevin D
                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                      • Oct 2002

Originally posted by Club1820
                                                      Kevin, how would you go about setting this up on the Rotel Pre/Pro 1068? I set my speaker levels with the test tone and RS SPL meter. Is this not sufficient? Or do I have to do something else for the PLIIx mode to be correctly set up?

Thanks.

You need to go into the setup menu, under input. Set the default sound mode to PLII Music, then you should have a new item called 'options'. This lets you turn on the rears, set the depth, and the center width.

Kevin D.

Comment

Working...
                                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                      Search Result for "|||"