X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Anyone know about this sub ?

Energy S10.3 subwoofer. Anyone here had any experience with this baby ?
    My Homepage!
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Not directly Sir George, sorry. I do know that any time I heard/auditioned Energy speakers I was definitely impressed with their sound - especially in the "bang for the buck" category. The only sub of theirs I've heard was an 8" IIRC and it sounded tight and clean. Not the last degree in deeeeep bass extension, but that would be way too much to ask from an 8" driver.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

Thanks for the reply, Tex. I auditioned one of these and was quite impressed with how it sounded in both music and movie soundtracks . They are rated to go down to 20hz and it sure sounded that way. I fried one of the subs in my two sub setup . They were a mismatched pair and now I am thinking about buying two matching models. I have a pretty good price offer for two S10.3s and am giving them some serious consideration. Was just hoping someone here may have owned one and could give me some perspective from an owner's point of view.
      My Homepage!

Comment

• John Holmes
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Like David, I've only heard their 8 incher as well. And like David said, it was really solid for what it is. A friend of mine has had one since they were new. It still sounds good 7-8 yrs later. So hopefully the 10" would sound/go deeper even better.
        "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Ovation
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2004

My friend has one and he is very satisfied with it. I've listened to it in his system (the audio portion of which I set up for him) and it is the strong link in his system. If was in the market for a sub in that price range, it would definitely be a strong contender for me.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2001

Thanks, fellas.
            My Homepage!

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2001

Well I hooked up my two new babies on New Year's Day. They blend wonderfully with my Boston Acoustics. In fact, because I now can defeat the subs crossover, I am getting to hear things from the sats that I never heard before. There's a scene in The Black Dahlia where there is a minor earthquake and it scared the livin' daylights out of me. And I had the volume way down so as not to overdrive them for the break-in period. Another interesting thing: due to a minor standing wave problem near the seating area I had to run the older subs at a higher volume. This irritaed my wife when she was trying to watch something else on the tv upstairs. Well that standing wave problem has disappeared since I connected and tuned up the Energys. Now, no matter where I walk in the room, bass respone is the same. I couldn't be happier. Can't wait to really test them after the break-in period. I already ran them ( cd on replay ) for 26 hours and the recommended break-in period is 50 hours so I am almost there.
              My Homepage!

Comment

• John Holmes
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Very cool George! Congrats on the new subs.

It's nice when a new purchase can really make a difference. Enjoy my friend!
                Last edited by John Holmes; 03 January 2007, 18:44 Wednesday.
                "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2001

So true, John. Thanks.
                  My Homepage!

Comment

• Ovation
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Sep 2004

Congrats on the new sub. And it's always nice to see a fellow Boston Acoustics fan. What do you have for speakers? I've got a VRC centre, VR-M60s front L/R and VR-M50s for rear L/R, along with a PV900 sub.

Anyway, enjoy the tunes and movies.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Ovation
                      Congrats on the new sub. And it's always nice to see a fellow Boston Acoustics fan. What do you have for speakers? I've got a VRC centre, VR-M60s front L/R and VR-M50s for rear L/R, along with a PV900 sub.

Anyway, enjoy the tunes and movies.
                      I have the Micro Reference Series. A Micro 90c center and a Micro90x L,R and Back L & R. I use a VRS Micro Reference Diffuse-Field for the left and right sidewalls. I did have a BA VR500 sub but that has been taken out of the system and replaced by Energy. The BA sub didn't have a crossover bypass unfortunately. There was another sub in my syetem as well but it got fried.
                      My Homepage!

Comment

• taoyeah
                        • Dec 2006

how is it compare to Velodyne DD-12?

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Jan 2001

Originally posted by taoyeah
                          how is it compare to Velodyne DD-12?
                          I have never owned a Velodyne sub so I can't compare.
                          My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"