• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Briz vegas
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

What does Santa do if you have been bad - he fries your amp on xmas eve

I'm not a happy camper Santa.

Christmas eve and Massive Attack is playing at about 70-75 db in the other room. I notice I slight burny smell as I pass the stereo on the way down the hall, then buzz fart and a channel drops out.

A quick check under the hood reveals that what I think is an output transistor (NEC 2sb600) is having itself a little BBQ at its own expense...and mine.

I am not a happy camper as the output stage got hot and failed in August when stupid me shorted out the amp by incorrectly wiring the sub to the high level connections on the power amp. This time the amp had been running about 6 hours and was warm rather than hot (it was really hot last time).

Maybe I just got unlucky with my 30 year old amp - last time the service guru said it was in good condition and looking inside (below) there is no sign of bulging or discoloured components,apart from the fried transistor.

Last August the service guy said he did not believe in hooking up subs to the high level connections as it impacted on the performance of the main speaker. He also told me I was shorting the amp, and Rel confirmed that I was doing this when I reversed the connections (+) to (-) in my attempt to compensate for a phase reversing pre-amp. I corrected this by connecting (+) to (+) as per the Rel manual, then reversing the phase switch on the sub.

I am wondering if the sub is somehow still shorting the output section, although the symptoms are different to last time so probably not. Anyway I hope all can be resolved as I am saving for a CD player to improve the sound, not for a power amp that may do little for my ears.

Fingers crossed that this is just an unfortunate event that can be fixed for $100 bucks. Either way it is a shame my system is stuffed just when I have a bit of time to enjoy it. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
    Attached Files
    Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
    Siamese :evil: :twisted:
  • chinets
    • Jun 2005

Sorry Briz vegas,
    Santa will compensate you well with a New Amp I am sure.
    Don't let this pull down your Christmas spirit. Enjoy this moment with your family and Thank God for your health and all the love that surrounds you. Think about that and you will be fine.
    Materialistic things can be fixed ,and I hope it will be ,so you can enjoy the Holidays too.
    Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and your family with Love, Health, peace and prosperity to all.
    cheers and it is the season to be jolly!!

Comment

• joetama
      • May 2006

Call Santa at home and have him bring you a new one!

That is bad luck man, good luck with getting it fixed.
      -Joe

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"