X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Birdy
    • Mar 2006

Does your B&W smell good???

A lighter subject perhaps. :T

Bought my 802 a small year ago, when they were just out of the box, there was this very light perfume like the one you can smell in some high end hifi shops.

The smell lasted for a few weeks, was very noticeable when coming from outside.
    Then it blend off... :cry: :cry: :cry:

Now since a few weeks, with the come back of the nice days and the air warming up the smell is back, really nice.... :P :P :P

Another pleasure added to the one of listening. :T

Am I becoming completely nuts or what? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Birdy
  • ShadowZA
    Super Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Birdy
    ... Am I becoming completely nuts or what? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Birdy
    Of course you are nuts ... we all are. :T

I love the smell of B&W in the morning.

Comment

• chinets
      • Jun 2005

Christina MUST have been in your box dude!!!

I think Christina Aquilers was in that box when you bought it!!! She just must have stopped by the other day for a quickie Amigo!! :boobies: :leghumper: :banana: :demon: :dancenana:

With ALL the luck that some guys have!!( Not the Rod Stewart song), Not Fair buddy, but invite me over to get a whiff of that Puntang Amigo!! I can just smell the >>>>!!! :E :W

Just kidding and have a nice SMELLY day!! :rofl: :T

Use your birdy... Ahm Birdy!!! :jawdrop: :scratchhead:

Comment

• WI Rotel
        • Jul 2006

It's the wood smell, unfortunately it wears off. The XT's never had any aroma, the downside of aluminium. Maybe they should inject the box with some rosewood aroma to mimic the expirience. Thats what they do with cars anyway, if you didn't know, new car smell is fake, its actually an added scent!

Comment

• beden1
          Super Senior Member
          • Oct 2006

Originally posted by WI Rotel
          It's the wood smell, unfortunately it wears off. The XT's never had any aroma, the downside of aluminium. Maybe they should inject the box with some rosewood aroma to mimic the expirience. Thats what they do with cars anyway, if you didn't know, new car smell is fake, its actually an added scent!
          Unfortunately, the new car smell is a bi-product of the chemicals leaching out of the plastics, glues, and leather tanning process . . . and has been directly linked to cancer. The smell produced by new speakers/electronics is no doubt the same cause and affect as the circuitry burns off whatever chemicals are used in their products and/or manufacturing process.

Comment

• Birdy
            • Mar 2006

Originally posted by beden1
            Unfortunately, the new car smell is a bi-product of the chemicals leaching out of the plastics, glues, and leather tanning process . . . and has been directly linked to cancer. The smell produced by new speakers/electronics is no doubt the same cause and affect as the circuitry burns off whatever chemicals are used in their products and/or manufacturing process.
            I thought it was more wood smell; that would explain the come back of the smell with temperature increase.

Birdy

Comment

• WI Rotel
              • Jul 2006

Originally posted by Birdy
              I thought it was more wood smell; that would explain the come back of the smell with temperature increase.

Birdy
              Rosewood and many other wood are distinctly aromatic. As to causing cancer, as a pathologist I can assure you that EVERYTHING causes cancer, simply some things cause it more than others! Formaldehyde benzene and so on are present in minute quantities in natural processes, thus stop worrying about cancer in everything and enjoy life as it is! Of course avoid things that have lots of carcinogens like smoking but simply avoiding or complainig of every minute exposure to a cancer causing agent (its impossible) its like compulsively washing your hands after contact with anything to avoid "infections". Just to point out the idiocy of the cancer mania are hiroshima and nagasaki, yes among the people exposed directly to the nuclear fallout of the blast there was a significant increase in malignancies, specifically leukemia, their offspring which were born and raised in the most radioactively contaminated place on earth, have normal rates of malignancies......So chill with the cancer causing mania!

Comment

• beden1
                Super Senior Member
                • Oct 2006

I had recently read an article on the source of new car interior smells and toxicities, and was merely listing what has been the known culprits for sometime. Boat interiors produce higher levels of toxins due to the use of fiberglass resins and more glue substances.

I too love the smell of new electronics, but, the odors do seem to come from electronics more so than from the wood composition of speakers. The smell is ever so more noticeable when you turn the equipment on, than it is when in a powered off state. (Plus, the wood odors in B&W speakers would be minimal as they only use veneers)

My favorite thing I notice in electronics stores/departments, is when my hair starts to get a static charge when entering the TV displays. Don't you just love all of those electrons streaming through your body!

And, this coming from someone who does smoke.

Comment

• Briz vegas
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2005

WI Rotel. I have this bump. What do you think it is? Oh, its just my nose, panic over. I thought it might be from smelling my speakers.

804s 38-22khz +-2db frequency response
                  3 ouE/m3 Rosenut ( European Odor Units)

If you polish your speakers they will smell of funiture polish. That might be a good thing, or not.

I think a rosewood 800D would look amazing if you were a heavy metal freak with the right sort of room - imagine all those thorns on the curved woodwork.

ok, enough bad jokes from me............next !
                  Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
                  Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by WI Rotel
                    As to causing cancer, as a pathologist I can assure you that EVERYTHING causes cancer

I was just going to say, doesnt everything cause cancer these days.
                    B&W

Comment

• jim777
                      • Mar 2005

Maybe B&W should change their "Listen and you'll see" for "Listen and it'll smell"...

Comment

• WI Rotel
                        • Jul 2006

Originally posted by jim777
                        Maybe B&W should change their "Listen and you'll see" for "Listen and it'll smell"...
                        Maybe they'll include a scratch and sniff pad :E

Comment

• chinets
                          • Jun 2005

Eau De B&W !! The Fragrance!!

Eau de B&W !! 8)

" If you don't smelll good, We don't look good !!" :rofl:

" Bowers and Wilkins" : maybe should change their name to: " Buff and Whiff " :W :rofl: They would Still maintain the B&W Initials!!! :lol:

Comment

• Briz vegas
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Mar 2005

or Bouquet and Wiff :B
                            Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
                            Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• Lex
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Apr 2001

I thought maybe the builder had beans the day he built these... lol Then you smell that smell again, because maybe you had beans the day before.
                              Doug
                              "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"