X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joey_V
    • Jul 2005

What is next for my system?

What's next for my system since my parents want to get me something for my system?

I have the following:

SqueezeBox 3 (FLAC) -> Cary Audio SLP-98L tube pre -> Plinius SA-102 Class A amp -> Martin Logan Summits (with no special audiophile cables/wire.... only some generic 12ga speaker wire and RS Gold Series interconnects)

Now, I want you guys to know that I am mostly FLAC-based at this moment as I do not have a lot of CDs, nor do I own a single vinyl record. So, with that in mind, a CDP or a TT is not for another year or two once I have a job.

I'm still in college, so I'm sorta strapped.

So, the question remains: What is next?

Looking at the system, I see 2 things severely lacking:
    1. Outboard DAC
    2. Power Condition ala AC regenerator and Voltage stabilizer (i.e. PowerPlant Premier by PS Audio)
    3. Wire/interconnects

Aside from those two, I'm tube rolling the SLP-98 with some Sylvanias (in the mail on the way to me)...

So, help me out guys...

Thanks!

Joey
    Analog: VPI Scoutmaster w/ Steel Delrin clamp + Dynavector 20XH cart
    Digital: SB3 + PS Audio Digital Link III DAC
    System: Cary Audio SLP-98P Tube Preamplifier w/ Sylvanias -> Plinius SA102 Class A amplifier -> Martin Logan SUMMITS/Strata Minis -> 8O (me)
  • DL86
    • Sep 2005

Don't worry about about the cables. Cable's will make the least if any improvements to your sound. Power conditioning not so sure it will do anything, from another member on these forums said he spent a lot of money on power conditioning and power cables and this made absolutly ZERO difference to his sound. I would go with the outboard DAC can't beat improvements in technical specifications.

I refuse to be bull****ed by sales men trying to flog $600 for a set of speaker cables or interconnects!! If a speaker cable has the correct technical specification i.e. low inductance, and low resistance aswell as some shielding along the way then that is all that matters.
    Last edited by DL86; 22 December 2006, 23:03 Friday.

Comment

• PewterTA
      • Nov 2004

I disagree, I think one of the biggest improvements in my system was changing the wires... I went from a good copper wire to CATcables silvercats and could not imagine the change that happened on my system. For one, I was never a big believer that cables made a difference until I really took the jump...

So I would say if you are using copper interconnects, try out some silver ones (quick plug here) from Catcables, Doug will hook you up with some of the best prices and will make sure you are completely satisfied.

The power conditioning, will make little difference, it will be only slightly noticeable...the outboard DAC, will definitely make a difference and might even be more of a difference than the cables, it just depends on the quality of your current DAC...

You might be surprised to find out that changing out the cables will give you exactly what sound you are looking for...it did for me and many others I've had try a silver cable over copper.
      Digital Audio makes me Happy.
      -Dan

Comment

• Ovation
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

I don't want to get into a "wire" debate (I'll just say I'm in the sceptic camp and leave it at that) but I think of your list of three things, even if I believed wires could make a notable difference, I'd go with an outboard DAC ahead of the wires.

Just my 2 cents.

Comment

• Martyn
          • Feb 2006

I don't know which DACs the Squeezebox uses, but they are reputed to be quite good so I don't know how much difference an outboard DAC might make. You could have your SB "modified", but I'm generally sceptical about how much difference this kind of thing really makes. Perhaps the biggest increase in performance that you could get would be by bi-amping your speakers...

Comment

• twitch54
            • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Martyn
            Perhaps the biggest increase in performance that you could get would be by bi-amping your speakers...

Not much to gain there since the Summitt's are internally amplified for their bass drivers.
            Dave

Comment

• See-Fu
              • Oct 2006

How about spent a portion of your money on some nicer wires adn the rest on something else?

Comment

• dknightd
                • Mar 2006

More Music. A bigger hard disk to store more music. A second hard disk to back up the music you have. An external DAC.

Comment

• Joey_V
                  • Jul 2005

A DAC it is!

Thanks all!

Joey

PS
                  Nice to see you too, Dave! :T
                  System: Cary Audio SLP-98P Tube Preamplifier w/ Sylvanias -> Plinius SA102 Class A amplifier -> Martin Logan SUMMITS/Strata Minis -> 8O (me)

Comment

• twitch54
                    • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Joey_V
                    PS
                    Nice to see you too, Dave! :T
                    Us "Logan" boys have to keep the world a "Safer place to listen" !!!

Merry Christmas to all !!!!
                    Dave

Comment

• Joey_V
                      • Jul 2005

Originally posted by twitch54
                      Us "Logan" boys have to keep the world a "Safer place to listen" !!!

Merry Christmas to all !!!!
                      Yes indeed....

Onward my friend!

Merry Christmas to all as well!!

Joey

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"