• peterS
    Super Senior Member
    • Dec 2005

how do i tell if a stylus is MM or MC

need a MM for my rotel rc-1070
    very confused as to how i can tell what is what
  • whoaru99
    • Jul 2004

Not sure there is any way to tell just by appearance. I think you would need to know the cartridge make/model and then the mfgr. info would tell you what type of cartridge it is.

The good news is that the MM type is much more common than the MC type, so even in a blind pick, you are much more likely to come up with a MM cartridge. MC cartridges are generally, but not necessarily always, TOTL versions at considerably more $$ than MM style.
    There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• peterS
      Super Senior Member
      • Dec 2005

needledoctor.com

doesnt mention- atleast for the ones ive looked at
      wondering if i was missing something

Comment

• whoaru99
        • Jul 2004

It may be just terminology where the uncertainty lies.

The stylus itself is not really MC or MM, it is what it is to fit a particular cartridge. It is the design/construction of the phono cartridge itself that determines MC or MM.

Generally speaking, the low output ones (although not really clearly defined) are MC, the higher output are MM...
        There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• peterS
          Super Senior Member
          • Dec 2005

i ment cartridge sorry
          regardless i think im leaning towards the Shure M97XE

Comment

• whoaru99
            • Jul 2004

I would wager that the M97 is a MM cartridge.

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• peterS
              Super Senior Member
              • Dec 2005

yup shures website confirms (i dont even know what mc stands for -lol)

ive decided to repurchase the technic 1200 vs a belt drive in the same price range
              i just dont hear the suposed degridation on a dirrectdrive
              after doing some searches ive found enough reviews that surprisingly found the technics quite nice from an audiofile standpoint- or at least good enough for my needs

anyone have any other suggestions for a <$100 MM cartridge

Comment

• whoaru99
                • Jul 2004

MM = Moving Magnet
                MC = Moving Coil

My understanding is that the MC type tend to have lower mass of components from stylus through the motor assembly. Since the mass to accelerate/decelerate is less, changing direction as in following a wiggly groove should, at least in theory, result in quicker response, etc.

EDIT: The trade-off is typically higher cost in two areas. The cartridge itself tends to be more expensive and generally a MC-capable phono stage is necessary. MC-capable phono stages are typically only on high-end stuff these days, or perhaps standalone phono pre pre-amps, for lack of better terms.

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• twitch54
                  • Apr 2006

Originally posted by peterS

ive decided to repurchase the technic 1200 vs a belt drive in the same price range
                  after doing some searches ive found enough reviews that surprisingly found the technics quite nice from an audiofile standpoint- or at least good enough for my needs

Peter, not sure what your $$ budget is but you would being doing yourself somewhat of an injustice in not saving a few extra $$ and going with a Rega P-3, arguably one if not the best budget TT on the market.
                  Dave

Comment

• miner
                    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by peterS

Ortofon makes some nice affordable cartridges,

Comment

• twitch54
                      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by whoaru99
                      MM = Moving Magnet
                      MC = Moving Coil

My understanding is that the MC type tend to have lower mass of components from stylus through the motor assembly. Since the mass to accelerate/decelerate is less, changing direction as in following a wiggly groove should, at least in theory, result in quicker response, etc.

EDIT: The trade-off is typically higher cost in two areas. The cartridge itself tends to be more expensive and generally a MC-capable phono stage is necessary. MC-capable phono stages are typically only on high-end stuff these days, or perhaps standalone phono pre pre-amps, for lack of better terms.

good points, but one thing to keep in mind is that their are an ever increasing number of good High Output MC that work just fine with the gain stages of many MM phono pre's.

as far as trade-off's, possibly the biggest one is the fact that on a MC the Cantilever / stylus is not user replaceable one must return to factory for replacement. proper setup and usage should afford 1000 plus hrs of listening bliss though !!!
                      Dave

Comment

• whoaru99
                        • Jul 2004

Originally posted by twitch54
                        as far as trade-off's, possibly the biggest one is the fact that on a MC the Cantilever / stylus is not user replaceable one must return to factory for replacement.
                        Huh? I didn't know that.

Doesn't affect me at present, but good to know anyway. Thanks.

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"