X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sirbogey
    • Mar 2006

Classe CD Transport and Classe DAC

With my Rotel HT system complete, I decided to move deeper into 2 Channel audio. The choices are limitless, so this will be a lengthy process and will eventually exclude Rotel equipment.

Classe is something I've listened to like a year ago and the sound was just amazing. But those were the state of the art Classe Cd player and amp, and I simply can't afford it..

The first question I have is whether buying into a 10y old Classe CD Transport and Classe DAC, around $2K, are a wise option. Or should I stick with the latest technology CD players (ie Shanling TC100 or 200). Can somebody comment on the differences between transports, DACs and players.
  • Victor
    • Apr 2002

sirbogey,

The Dac-transport combination is always theoretically inferior to the stand alone CD player due to the possibility of jitter induced distortion. On the other hand if jitter suppression is well implemented as it is done in Benchmark Dac then you may end up with a superior system.

In my view these days the only reason to go with a DAC-transport pair is if you have a reason to think that the CD player output electronics is somehow poorly implemented. While there are fundamental problems with many CD players that I know, still the outboard DACs are not all that much better, but the price you pay for the DAC-transport is significantly steeper.

I would not even look at the 10 year old DAC today, simply because modern D/A chips are more advanced. One exception to this might be the unit based on Analog Devices AD1862N or preferably K version or Burr-Brown PCM63. Those old ladder-type D/A chips will still perform with excellent results even today. Denon CD players from 1990s era used them.

In any event, today I would not spend more then $500 on a CD player, because the output electronics that determines the sound is pretty much identical no matter how much you spend. My favorite olden days CD player is Denon DCD 2560 or 3650 or even higher end Denon products from 1990-2000s. They were all built like tanks and the circuit topology along with components used was truly high end. Not much has changed over the years; - the D/A chips became somewhat better with AKM chips leading the pack.

If you are set on the DAC-transport approach, then I would recommend a $200 CD or DVD player of your choice and the Benchmark DAC. This will cost you about $1200 and you will never look back.

regards,

Victor

Comment

• sirbogey
      • Mar 2006

Victor, thanks! That's a lot of help.
      After I posted my question, I noticed the 4 page long "External DAC recommendations please" thread! Haven't completely finished reading it yet, but your answers and thoughts are very helpful.

Comment

• sirbogey
        • Mar 2006

any other opinions from Classe lovers?

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"