Should extra consideration be given to DAC's which can act as a pre amp?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jeff
    • Dec 2004

Should extra consideration be given to DAC's which can act as a pre amp?

There has been much discussion about DAC lately, which I like. As a result I'm narrowing my DAC considerations.

Should extra consideration be given to those DAC's which can be connected directly to the amp? Would connecting it to a separate (additional) pre amp be less desirable?
    The main benefit for me would be controling the volume from my listening position.

Jeff
  • Spearmint
    • Sep 2004

I’m not sure about some of the ones available; I know the Benchmark DAC1 is a rather average Pre, although a great DAC and Headphone amp.

There is also the Stello DP200 which I hope to get a listen to in the next few weeks.
    Richard

"Sometimes it is easier to ask forgiveness than to get permission... "

Comment

• bigburner
      Super Senior Member
      • May 2005

Jeff, I plan to buy the Benchmark DAC1 but I wont be using it as a preamp because it doesn't have a remote control or a phono stage.

Richard, I'm surprised to hear that you found the DAC1 to be an average preamp as quite a few people on other forums have spoken highly of it. Just as well it's not part of my plans.

Nigel.

Comment

• Spearmint
        • Sep 2004

We’ve had a couple of 2ch pre shootouts and all the dedicated pre’s faired way ahead of the Benchmark IMO, although in saying the Benchmark was the DAC for all testing.

Of all the pre’s we have auditioned to-date the Aksa Swift from Hugh Dean is the one that has me hooked sonically. It is so engaging and separates the instruments and vocals into a majestic 3D sound stage.
        Richard

"Sometimes it is easier to ask forgiveness than to get permission... "

Comment

• JDH
          • Sep 2004

The DAC 1 sounds better to me direct to the power amp than through your average AVR then to a power amp, this being said I own the DAC 1 but am also in the process of taking delivery of a 2ch dedicated Pre-amp (NuForce P8 ).

The DAC 1 is a great DAC for the money with the added bonus that allows it to be used as a modest 2ch pre-amp and headphone amp.

Originally posted by Spearmint
          We’ve had a couple of 2ch pre shootouts and all the dedicated pre’s faired way ahead of the Benchmark IMO, although in saying the Benchmark was the DAC for all testing.

Of all the pre’s we have auditioned to-date the Aksa Swift from Hugh Dean is the one that has me hooked sonically. It is so engaging and separates the instruments and vocals into a majestic 3D sound stage.
          Bits of HT & 2ch Stuff: Rotel, Pro-ject, Oppo, Bel Canto, Elektra Audio, Benchmark, Panasonic, DSPeaker, Epson, Slim Devices, Belkin, Philips Pronto, Harmony, URC, Sennheisser, AKG, HTPC under development, KEF, Whatmough, Definitive Technology & Pardigm Signiture speakers

Comment

• alebonau
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by bigburner
            Jeff, I plan to buy the Benchmark DAC1 but I wont be using it as a preamp because it doesn't have a remote control or a phono stage.

Richard, I'm surprised to hear that you found the DAC1 to be an average preamp as quite a few people on other forums have spoken highly of it. Just as well it's not part of my plans.

Nigel.
            had a play with a dac1 for a couple of weeks courtesy of a friend a little while back now. Also been part of comparisons with other pres. As with spearmint. I'd say dac 1 is an excellent dac. and a competant headphone amp. but no for a 2ch pre I'd be looking elsewhere.

a 2ch pre really does play quite a part in the overall sound quality and charecter I do think it deserves some cosideration.

Certainly plenty of choices to consider standalone dacs & cd players and 2ch pres, or combined dacs and pre's, 2ch integrateds. and come to think of it there are even some quite high quality all in one units out there if that is your thing.
            "Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Comment

• Jeff
              • Dec 2004

Thanks for the replies,

It sound like the concensus is to not become to content with connecting it directly to the amp. I've only tried one two channel pre amp in my system which is the Proceed Pre. The improvement over my HT pre/pro was very small. The only way to describe it, was that it was slightly more musical. Nothing really jumped out as being being better, just a little happier. Ok, so much for scientific terminology.

I've been looking for a better HT pre/pro. Something along the lines of Classe or Proceed AVP2. What ever it is, I feel it should have balanced inputs. If I do decide on the Benchmark DAC1, I've read that using the balanced outputs is more desirable than the rca's. It also likes higher quality digital cables on the input side.

Jeff

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"