X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fauzigarib
    • Aug 2006

What's objectively good out there?

Hello all,

If you've read my earlier post "Bose & Wilkins," you'll know that I ran into a thread over at AVS that was bad mouthing (kind of) both McIntosh and B&W.

In my mind, both of these companies make products that unarguably very good. But, I guess this hobby is such that, for every unarguable truth, there are many watingin in line to argue it out.

So I ask you... Are there ANY components (speakers, amps, pres, whatever) out there that are UNIVERSALLY accepted as being "good." Whatever the criteria, whatever the standards.. Everyone knows them as being, well... "good."

Here are my votes:

Power amps (SS): Pass Labs X1000.5
    Power amps (Tube): Audio Research D250 MK II (Sparky, stop gloating!)
    Integrated Amp: ML No. 383 Integrated Amp
    Pre: Can't think of any that stand a chance being universally accepted
    Speakers: B&W Nautilus Snail, Focal JM Labs Grand Utopia.

Any others come to mind?

Fauzi
    • Nov 2005

HI fauzi,
    No gloating here. Just smiles

It seems to me that Levinson power amps have no detractors. But I would be amazed if any product can win this contest.

Sparky

Comment

• jim777
      • Mar 2005

I think that Linn speakers and electronics would be on that list.

Comment

• kurtholz
        • Feb 2005

Halcro amps
        Esoteric
        Chord
        magic marbles in a jar

:-)

Kurt

Comment

• Jesse111
          • Jul 2005

McIntosh

Comment

• Joey_V
            • Jul 2005

I honestly think that you should be less concerned about what everyone finds to be good but be more concerned on what you find to be good. You need not try to impress anyone but yourself.
            Last edited by Joey_V; 02 October 2006, 03:05 Monday.
            Analog: VPI Scoutmaster w/ Steel Delrin clamp + Dynavector 20XH cart
            Digital: SB3 + PS Audio Digital Link III DAC
            System: Cary Audio SLP-98P Tube Preamplifier w/ Sylvanias -> Plinius SA102 Class A amplifier -> Martin Logan SUMMITS/Strata Minis -> 8O (me)

Comment

• chinets
              • Jun 2005

Joey has got the right idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with Joey!! Impress yourself with your own ears ,instead of asking the world what they think is nice for you!!! It's like a wife that keeps on asking her husband if her butt looks too big in those jeans etc.. or that she looks too fat!!! :E

Fauzi, Be secure with yourself and trust your own ears and read reviews with a grain of salt. You keep asking the forum every day whether this is better than that, and what the forum thinks of what is best etc.. That is what the forum is for, but from all what I have read from you in the past several weeks are threads of you being totally Insecure and In despair. ops:

Man, Chill out Fauzi and go audition your heart out in Dubai or wherever!!
              You need to get out of Pakistan and smell the real world out there, and go to Audio exhibitions. Once satisfied with what equipment or speakers that sound right to you, then go for the frenzy and ship them to your home, and finally enjoy the system YOU CHOSE WITH YOUR OWN EARS ,and Relax and Enjoy ,after all we the forum are NOT going to be In your house In Pakistan listening to your system. :rofl:

Let your ears make your choice and final choice, NOT the Forum.
              We would love to give you advice, but ultimately you will have to step up to the plate buddy!!!! :roll:

Insecurity brings addiction to anything Hi-Fi, Then upgraditis, which along brings stress ,then sleepless nights ,then the Insane asylum, and buddy you are getting close to the Insane Asylum part of this sickness ,and I am VERY worried about you!!!! :cry:

Get LINN products and you will be fine, if that is what you want to know and hear, and that probably will cure you!!! 8O

Poor Fauzi!!! I feel sorry for you!!!!! :W

Cheers!! :T

P.S. Remember Kurtholtz's Magic marbles would never hurt!!! ;x(

Comment

• fauzigarib
                • Aug 2006

Originally posted by chinets
                I\
                Fauzi, Be secure with yourself and trust your own ears and read reviews with a grain of salt. You keep asking the forum every day whether this is better than that, and what the forum thinks of what is best etc.. That is what the forum is for, but from all what I have read from you in the past several weeks are threads of you being totally Insecure and In despair. ops:
                (
                Chinets!

LOL!!! When I read my post, I realize why it comes across as insecure...

... Dude, rest assured... In this hobby, I've (thankfully) come to the realization that the utopia that we are all clamoring for is just never ever going to be achieved... There will always be more expensive, more intricate, better sounding, more critical, separate, integrated, whole-wheat-on-rye things out there, and as humans we will always want them.

Even the most secure of systems will always be prone to the sporadic binge of upgraditis... that's just what this is all about.

But my real reason for posting this is that I tend to view myself as a student of human nature. People's reasoning and motives really interest me.. especially where luxuries and comforts are concerned. More specifically, what drives people to do things that are non-essential to their existence.

As a person running my own company and catering to different cultures and markets, I find that being able to understand these motivations in people really goes a long way in being able to "connect" with my potential customers.

But thanks for your concern!!!

Fauzi

Comment

• Jesse111
                  • Jul 2005

Utopia? I suppose it's how one defines it in their own mind. But I can tell you this much, B&W 800D, McIntosh MCD1000/MDA1000 and a pair of McIntosh 501's has nailed it for me. I don't even care what else is out there. Being able to say that might just be Utopia for me.

Comment

• chinets
                    • Jun 2005

Fauzi the Philosophical Audiophile on the NET!!!!

Wow!!! Fauzi too philosophical for me!!!! :E

I think you should be studying or working in Sociology or maybe even Anthropology dude!!!! Wrong forum here!! Try the Phiosophy, Sociology or Anthroplogical forums On the Internet, they should make you feel quite at home pal!!! :rofl:

Wow!! Fauzi you are too rich for our blood on this forum ,you made me cry with your Philosophical ideas and feelings!!! You have touched us all here!!!! :Z

Now we are all Guinea pigs of Fauzi, for his study on Audiophile behaviour at it's lowest roots, and our animalistic intincts to Music and HT...The New Charles darwin of B&W evolution In Audiophile behaviour In the RAW!!! Ouch!! :

Watch out guys the Fauzi is studying our most primitive behaviours In Music and HT..The Big Brother on the HT/ NET forum!!!!!!! Scary but realistic!!!
                    Just Kidding buddy!!! I just thought you lost your magic marbles for a while. :rofl:

Really Fauzi I enjoy all your beefy comments and rich analytical philosophical ideas you present to us In your large threads that mount to riots and disagreements/and or agreements all over the issues that you put forth on these threads!! We shall call you the INSTIGATOR!!!! 8O

Fauzi The INSTIGATOR Garib!!!!!!!! The Pak with the Wak!!!!!!!! Hoah!!!!!!
                    " MA FEE MUSHKILLAH " we all appreciate you on this forum, as you shake and stir the cage up on this forum. :W

I am not shaken or stirred one bit, because I enjoy the war fare and all the Buzz on your threads, as they do wake up the sleeper cells on this forum with a a bang ,mind you.!! :Z :B

Keep us on our toes Fauzi ,and thanks for the Info. and your Deep Philosophical ideas on this forum, as you make this forum more interesting and a better place to be on. :T

Keep up the good work Fauzi ,and please make up your mind on what system you will end up with..We are all curious here!!! :roll:

Keep us posted and have a wonderful day to you and your family,
                    Warm Regards and cheers,
                    Chinets ;x(

Comment

• Mitchell
                      • Sep 2004

I actually agree with Fauzi.
                      I think is main point is how agressively and vehemently people attack some of the finest consumer electronics on the planet.
                      I think reasonable people can disagree on the merits of different equipment. The market is so competitive that if there really were no merits the competition, press and afficionados would be all over it in a minute. There is usually a good argument to be made - I think, for most top brands at a price point.
                      Mitchell

Comment

• Briz vegas
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Mar 2005

Yeah, leave Bose alone guys! When I was 11 my sisters Rotel/Bose 301 system sounded awesome........................................... ...........................its just a shame about everything Bose that I have heard since, but even the best manufactures get the philosophy a bit wrong occasionally. :-)
                        Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
                        Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• PavelL
                          • Sep 2005

Yeah! Leave Bose alone!!! I say if you are not going to treat your room acoustically - no point in going beyond Bose!!!

Comment

• Aldo
                            • Sep 2005

No Highs No Lows It Most Be Bose! :lol:
                            Last edited by Aldo; 17 October 2006, 14:54 Tuesday.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Oct 2003

Hi,

I've moved this thread away from Club B&W into here as it has nothing to do with B&W specifically (other than that of course they ARE objectively good )

Geoff

Comment

• PavelL
                                • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Briz vegas
                                Yeah, leave Bose alone guys! ....even the best manufactures get the philosophy a bit wrong occasionally. :-)
                                and that leads us to the "You shall have no other gods before/besides/ me"... Something for "students of human nature" to consider :W

Comment

• Armand
                                  • Nov 2005

Bose? GMAB. They look up with binoculars and can't see highend designs.

B&W? Popular, but too bright to me. They fatigue the hell out of me in a very short time.

Comment

• chinets
                                    • Jun 2005

Happy NOW Fauzi that they have moved your thread to the dungeons!!!!!
                                    Now pick threads that apply to the forum and No tantrums please!!!!

Comment

• Chris D
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Dec 2000

Wow... I can't see this thread, there's some many "eye-poking sticks" covering it up.

Hi, Pavel! I didn't know we had anybody from Moscow here in the Guide. :later:
                                      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                                      - Pleasantville

Comment

• PavelL
                                        • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Chris D
                                        Hi, Pavel! I didn't know we had anybody from Moscow here in the Guide. :later:
                                        And I'm here to stay :W Greetings from Moscow to you Chris! BTW is durka some kind of a dance? 'Cause in Russian a "durka" is a mental hospital... could not stop laughing :lol:
                                        Last edited by Chris D; 14 November 2016, 04:31 Monday.

Comment

• Alaric
                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                          • Jan 2006

Hey , Pavel!,
                                          Hello. I think Durka was the nemesis of Rygel in the Farscape series.....
                                          Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                                          Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                                          Schiit Modi 3
                                          Marantz CD5005
                                          Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• PavelL
                                            • Sep 2005

oh, the sci-fi series... A cultural thing then "durka returns"

Comment

• Boombox
                                              • Oct 2005

Originally posted by chinets
                                              Wow!!! Fauzi too philosophical for me!!!! :E

I think you should be studying or working in Sociology or maybe even Anthropology dude!!!! Wrong forum here!! Try the Phiosophy, Sociology or Anthroplogical forums On the Internet, they should make you feel quite at home pal!!! :rofl:

Wow!! Fauzi you are too rich for our blood on this forum ,you made me cry with your Philosophical ideas and feelings!!! You have touched us all here!!!! :Z

Now we are all Guinea pigs of Fauzi, for his study on Audiophile behaviour at it's lowest roots, and our animalistic intincts to Music and HT...The New Charles darwin of B&W evolution In Audiophile behaviour In the RAW!!! Ouch!! :

Watch out guys the Fauzi is studying our most primitive behaviours In Music and HT..The Big Brother on the HT/ NET forum!!!!!!! Scary but realistic!!!
                                              Just Kidding buddy!!! I just thought you lost your magic marbles for a while. :rofl:

Really Fauzi I enjoy all your beefy comments and rich analytical philosophical ideas you present to us In your large threads that mount to riots and disagreements/and or agreements all over the issues that you put forth on these threads!! We shall call you the INSTIGATOR!!!! 8O

Fauzi The INSTIGATOR Garib!!!!!!!! The Pak with the Wak!!!!!!!! Hoah!!!!!!
                                              " MA FEE MUSHKILLAH " we all appreciate you on this forum, as you shake and stir the cage up on this forum. :W

I am not shaken or stirred one bit, because I enjoy the war fare and all the Buzz on your threads, as they do wake up the sleeper cells on this forum with a a bang ,mind you.!! :Z :B

Keep us on our toes Fauzi ,and thanks for the Info. and your Deep Philosophical ideas on this forum, as you make this forum more interesting and a better place to be on. :T

Keep up the good work Fauzi ,and please make up your mind on what system you will end up with..We are all curious here!!! :roll:

Keep us posted and have a wonderful day to you and your family,
                                              Warm Regards and cheers,
                                              Chinets ;x(
                                              What's this all about....????? I would have thought a moderator will step in here and call chinets to order....

I'm sorry, but I find this pretty disrespectful, insultive and degrading....

the WORST is that chinets FOLLOWS THIS UP with a worse post..... :x

I've read quite a few posts of fauzigarib and I do not come to the same conclusions......

Back to his ORIGINAL post.....I will add Dynaudio to the list and if I may Transparent!!!! :T
                                              Regards :T,

Boom....a.k.a...."The Box"

Comment

• Chris D
                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                • Dec 2000

(off-topic post) The Durka Durka comes from lines spoken in the "Team America" movie...
                                                CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• David Meek
                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                  • Aug 2000

Oh, don't worry. There's an admin watching closely - a trigger-happy one according to some.

HTG Administrator

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• chinets
                                                    • Jun 2005

Boombox,
                                                    Fauzi has a great sense of humor. I understand him, and he understands me. No hard feelings whatsover.

Post edited by HT Admin
                                                    Cheers!!!

Comment

• kurtholz
                                                      • Feb 2005

I am not disrespectful at all, have you seen what other members write on this forum ,such as Kurtholz etc..

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh, Chinet's, you are just sour grape's, you only wish you were the poster boy of "disrespect " like me

you know what they call a sinking ship with 1000 lawyers on it and 1 survivor'

a shame

hahahahhaha

i think we all get so passionate about what we truly believe, like power cords etc, i think we should all try and keep things enjoyable for all, disregarding negative posts completely

well, except me, i get to keep touting Krell & B & W

:-)

Kurt

Comment

• David Meek
                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                        • Aug 2000

Chinets, drop it. NOW. No more.

Also, if you don't like the administration of this forum you are free to post elsewhere.

HTG Admin

Comment

• fauzigarib
                                                          • Aug 2006

Boombox!

I'm so sorry all, I kind of disappeared from this forum for the past few days... work and all! So I have not been checking up... least of all this topic. I now realize that I should have!

Unfortunately, without the aid of facial expression, voice tonality and the occasional nudge / wink present in face to face conversation, internet exchanges have a large chance of being misinterpreted. Therefore, as a rule, I've always given the writer / poster the benefit of the doubt; that they really don't mean anything bad by what they're saying.

Chinets has not only been extremely helpful in the past, but more recently, after reading this post from you, realized that his post may have been misunderstood, and was nice enough to send me an apologetic pm. In response to his message, I told him that it takes a LOT more to offend me than just making fun of certain posts!

Now if you were to bad mouth my Klipschorns, THEEEN we'd have a REAL problem!!!

Just kidding. But on a more serious note, Boombox, thanks for sticking up for me. But no worries... If there ever was a harmless lawyer (yeah, right!!!) Chinets is it!

And yes, I do agree about Dynaudio!

Thanks once again!

Fauzi

Comment

• alebonau
                                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                                            • Oct 2005

fauzi 'whats objectively good out there' ?. velodynes DD subs would have to be on the list I think.

theyre powerfull and go low and yet not ridiculously sized and are home friendly. They have their room eq on board to get a nice clean flat response and to integrate smoothly with your speakers.

really not sure what else you could ask for in a sub.

I'm sure there are other good subs but objectively I do think these are good.
                                                            "Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Comment

• chinets
                                                              • Jun 2005

Edited by HTG

Edited by HTG

Comment

• PavelL
                                                                • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Chris D
                                                                (off-topic post) The Durka Durka comes from lines spoken in the "Team America" movie...
                                                                Kim's off-topic reply "roved your f***ing movie"

Regards, Pavel
                                                                Last edited by Chris D; 14 November 2016, 04:32 Monday.

Comment

• David Meek
                                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                                  • Aug 2000

What? Pavel, please clarify.

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                                    • Dec 2000

Eh??
                                                                    CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• PavelL
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Sep 2005

Originally posted by David Meek
                                                                      What? Pavel, please clarify.
                                                                      That was just my way of saying that I watched the movie. And found it funny. Well sort of... Stupidity in this particular movie did make me laugh. :W The villain is Mr. Kim - Kim Jong Il of North Korea. Portpayed as having difficulties in pronunciation - esp of R and Ls. So instead of "loved" he says "rubbed", "weapons of mass destluction".... And he was shown using F words all the time

P.S. Yet another Kim Jong Il's trademark line in this "Team America" movie is "D'ya know how f*****g busy I am?!?!?!"

Comment

• PavelL
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Sep 2005

Again off-topic. Soooorry forgot to ask. Are there any forum members that require an accompanying parent or an adult guardian here? Or is this an "all ages admitted" thread? Judging by the avatars we do have some infants here...

Comment

• twitch54
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Apr 2006

Fauzi, back to your original question, I have a dead lock, cinch answer................ REGA, nobody bridges the gap better between analog and digital at an affordable price (ie. your "good' status) than they do. In the sub 2k range their TT and CD players are top notch. I doubt if anybody would argue that one !!!!
                                                                          Dave

Comment

• aud19
                                                                            Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                                            • Aug 2003
                                                                            • 16706

Best I can do is list my dream system for you. As others have mentioned while it's good to get varrying opinions of what other people consider to be great gear, it's really your ears that matter.

Genesis 6 Series Speakers

Bryston Processing & Amplification

SVS Subs (x2....or more :P )

100% Cat Cable Wiring

Sources and displays are a bit tougher as they change so quickly but in general I like things like the Benchmark DAC1, Denon DVD players for some common sources. Displays... Sony's SXRD FP would be on my short list along with Sim2 and Yamaha's FP's. Pioneer plasmas (or space permitting Hitachi CRT's) would likely get the nod for smaller displays until SED comes around anyway.
                                                                            Jason

Comment

• fauzigarib
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Aug 2006
                                                                              • 216

#39
                                                                              Originally posted by twitch54
                                                                              Fauzi, back to your original question, I have a dead lock, cinch answer................ REGA, nobody bridges the gap better between analog and digital at an affordable price (ie. your "good' status) than they do. In the sub 2k range their TT and CD players are top notch. I doubt if anybody would argue that one !!!!
                                                                              Twitch!

GREAT answer!!! Completely slipped my mind there... If anyone did argue the merits of this particular company, they would have ME to answer to!

I have lusted after their Saturn CD player and their Planar TT for a long long time!

Good one! This is I think one answer that NO ONE can argue with!

Fauzi

Comment

Working...
                                                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                              Search Result for "|||"