X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NMyTree
    • May 2004

Oh Man, I Screwed Up BIG TIME!!!

I just commited the most ridiculous blunder. I can't believe I didn't blow my speakers up and destroy them completely.

On Monday, the frame of my eye glasses broke, so I had to go pick out new frames and get a new prescription. They won't be ready till later today.

This morning I couldn't find my spares. It seems my two and half year old son sneaked into my bedroom, while I was still sleeping and took them to play with. When I woke up I searched around the house, but couldn't find them.

Anyway, about 11:30 AM I wanted to put my Vincent SA-T1 Pre Amp back in my system, as I had been testing my BAT VK-3i Pre Amp to make sure it still works fine. The SA-T1 is the Pre Amp I normally use.

Well, while I was changing my Pre Amps out, is when I screwed up. I accidently hooked the Pre Amp Output [Record], instead of utilizing the standard Outputs. Without my glasses I didn't see things correctly:roll: :roll:

A friend of mine lent me his Ayre System Enhancement Disc ( Irrational, But Efficacious), so I could see if I notice any difference in my system.

I pressed my remote for the "Full Glide Tone" (Track seven) and went out side for a minute or two to do something. Well, roughly a minute later the wife comes running outside to tell me my system is making an incredibely loud, strange sound. I came back in and my woofers on my Wharfedale Opus 2 were pumping in and out like crazy. I couldn't find the remote for the CD Player and I didn't want to get any closer to the speakers, for fear of hurting my ears. After roughly another 30 seconds or two, I found the remote. I tried to turn the volume down but that didn't work. The volume does not work at all when outputting from the "Output Record". So I hit stop.

All together my speakers (my amp and pre amp ) was pumping this Glide Tone out at extremely high volumes, for roughly 2 to 2 and a half minutes.

God, I feel like a major idiot

Afterwards I realized what I had done with the outputs and corrected them.

There doesn't appear to be any audible damage as the speakers and system in general are playing fine now. The speakers sound fine

Is it possible I may have done some serious damage that is not apparent right now, but will manifest itself, later? Is it possible I damaged my speakers?

Nonetheless, lesson learned. I'll never do anything like that without my glasses!!!!
    Tony
  • NMyTree
    • May 2004

Well, it appears that ( at least from what the tech at Wharfedale said) thanks to the high quality of my Butler Audio TDB2250 amplifier, my speakers were saved from destruction.

He felt if my amp had clipped, the drivers on my Opus 2 would have been destroyed.

Thank god for Butler Audio!!!

What a scarey audio experience.
    Tony

Comment

• wkhanna
      Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

Whoooa!!!!
      Maybe give some credit to those Wharfdale’s too????

I feel your pain as far as the eyesight is concerned. I can’t do anything around my system without my reading glasses; and I now keep a flashlight on my system stand for reading CD titles and re-routing interconnects.
      _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
      ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

yikes, that's a scary one. I think a few of us have done major stupid crap before, add me to the list. I blew out my Mark Levinson 2 weeks after getting it due to stoopid crap. Burned up an HDTV unit due to stoopid crap, and about had a fire from that one. Here I am a cable expert, and part idiot and I don't even wear glasses, lol.

Doug
        Doug
        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• dyazdani
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Oct 2005

You just accelerated the break in process
          Danish

Comment

• Danbry39
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Sep 2002

Oh, man, talk about disaster diverted.

Well, if it's any comfort, I have the feeling we've all been there before, whether with plugging our audio system together, relationships, or driving our cars, close calls happen.

I agree with the others that it says something about the quality of your equipment.
            Keith

Comment

• NMyTree
              • May 2004

Originally posted by wkhanna
              Whoooa!!!!
              Maybe give some credit to those Wharfdale’s too????
              Yeah, I don't think I can discount the quality and durability of my Opus 2 speakers, in this blunder.

I have no problem admitting I'm no expert on all the technical, design and parts stuff. But I know what sounds good to me ears and to my preferences and tastes. Obviously, in this blunder the Opus 2 proved themselves to be a quality design which is rugged and capable of handling an extreme amount of abuse. Considering how much I love their sound, this only further reinforces my admiration for these speakers, their quality and their design.

I am very fortunate to have escaped this blunder without any damage.

Originally posted by wkhanna
              I feel your pain as far as the eyesight is concerned. I can’t do anything around my system without my reading glasses; and I now keep a flashlight on my system stand for reading CD titles and re-routing interconnects.

I have learned a hard lesson (I'm fortunate because the lesson could have been much harder and costly), and it won't ever happen again. Someone suggested I buy one of those flashlights that can be worn on my head. I think that would work best for me, considering I am a spazz :B and I have a difficult time holding a flashlight and working with my hands, at the same time. If I'm chewing gum, too; forget about it....I'm a trainwreck :B
              Tony

Comment

• NMyTree
                • May 2004

Originally posted by dyazdani
                You just accelerated the break in process
                :lol:

I've had the Opus 2 for over a year and a half, now. Soon to be two years. If they're not broken-in yet, they never will be :B :T

And for the record, I do not notice one single difference in the sound after using that Ayre System Enhancement CD.

The Opus 2 (and my system ) sounds as clear, sweet and richly textured....as it ever has.

I'm listening to Peter White's Caravan Of Dreams CD, right now, and it never ceases to amaze me how wonderful this CD sounds on my system. The texture of the guitar and other instruments is simply heaven to my ears.
                Tony

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"