X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Angioguy
    • Nov 2005

Audiophile Texts

Just wondering if anyone would be able to recommend a solid, current textbook on high end audio gear: Principles of sound, room acoustics, how the various components are wired and work, including the physics behind the technology-- hopefully in layman's terms....

The October issue of Absolute Sound has a section recommending first and foremost, Robert Harley's, Complete Guide to High End Audio , but then I realized that the author of this text is also the editor-in-chief of the periodical. Some Amazon reviewers felt that Mr. Harley's knowledge of the physics of audio is not what it should be when writing a text such as this. They cite blatant errors in his text. So I ask, is this a valuable resource that no audiophile library should be without or would you recommend another?

I've just ordered a pair of rosenut 802D's, and I really want to understand all I can about my system.

BTW, I read Mr. Doggy's wiring schematic, and I think it is a step in the right direction.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
    B&W 802D, HTMS-4; Velodyne DD-12, Arcam AVR-300, McIntosh MC-402, Musical Fidelity KW-SACD, Pioneer Elite

"... these go to eleven."
  • AptosJeff
    • Jul 2006

As far as acoustics, here are some books I like. The first two are fine for laymen. The last one is technical, but if you want the physics, it is there. For books on the equipment itself, I'm not up on this, maybe some others can suggest something. Don't forget on-line resources. For technical info, I would also look through back issues of the AES (audio eng society).

1. Music, Physics & Engineering by H. Olson - easy reading, but dated on audio subjects.
    2. Acoustical Designing in Architecture by Knudsen & Harris - Harris has designed some of the best concert halls in the country, imo.
    3. Fundamentals of Acoustics by Kinsler & Frey - the classic introductory engineering text.

Comment

• AptosJeff
      • Jul 2006

I almost forgot - you might want to check the Audio Hideout threads.

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Robert Harley is an English major....... :roll:

I like the "Master Handbook of Acoustics" by F. Alton Everest.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Angioguy
          • Nov 2005

Thanks to both of you for your thoughts... I will try the references you recommend, and I hope to follow-up soon!
          B&W 802D, HTMS-4; Velodyne DD-12, Arcam AVR-300, McIntosh MC-402, Musical Fidelity KW-SACD, Pioneer Elite

"... these go to eleven."

Comment

• twitch54
            • Apr 2006

First off congrats on the 802D's - great speakers ! Considering one can purchase Rober Harley's book ( third edition) for less than $25 on Borders / Amazon I think it is still a good source to have in the "library".
            Dave

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"