X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jim777
    • Mar 2005

Rega Saturn CD player

Did anyone give a serious listen to the Rega Saturn? Compare it to another player? Looks like another winner!
  • Arneson
    • Jan 2006

Saturn is OK but Pluto got a bad review and they pulled it.
    Jim

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Arneson, can you please amplify on your statement?

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Gene Simmons
        • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Arneson
        Saturn is OK but Pluto got a bad review and they pulled it.
        Groan... that was bad!

Planet 2000 is still my dream player at the moment, but that Saturn is gorgeous!!

Comment

• Arneson
          • Jan 2006

I suppose anyone seeing my post should be forwarned to not take me seriously.

My reference was the fact that the ninth rock from the Sun may now be just one of a hundred.
          A lot of controversy around the decision to eliminate Pluto from our solar system list of planets. Many wanted to add three other large masses or dwarfs.
          I think Copurnicus is rolling over in his grave and the heavenly bodies should be left designated as they were.
          Jim

Comment

• jim777
            • Mar 2005

Back to square 1. Did someone hear this player at all??

Comment

• Briz vegas
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2005

Thought I might bring this tread back to life now that a few months have past. Has anyone heard this puppy. Apollos are easy to find locally but they all say no to the Saturn as it competes with other products they sell at that price - so much for choice in a free market economy.

Best I can do is borrow an Apollo and if it blows me away I can assume the Saturn is that much better and order one in unheard. Could be a risky approach in my opinion even if they have a family sound.
              Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
              Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• Briz vegas
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2005

OK Just finished auditioning the Apollo. Its better than my NAD T562 DVD which is as I had expected. It is not forward like the Shanling T80 but it lacks the amazing detail of that players sound. Sound stage is wide but the shanlings was wider (almost crazy wide) but Shanling was a bit 2 dimensional. The Apollo does seem to have more rythmic drive, the lack of which counted against the Shanling.

In summary I would have to say that Apollo is very different in character but overall on par with the Shanling. Any thoughts that it would match the Naim cd5x could not be further from the truth. With a bare 5x (or with flatcap) you listen to the music with the Apollo I found myself still listening to the player.

5x 1 - Well built - not perfect though - some connections not so tight
                T80 0 - built like a tank - almost trying too hard to be heavy
                Apollo 0 - Tupperware construction (but it would keep your leftovers fresh)

I think it may be possible to get a Saturn for audition, maybe against a Shanling T200. Could take a little while to organise but it will be interesting to see if the Naim stays on top (still love that swing out door).
                Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)

Comment

• Music4Life
                  • May 2006

Originally posted by Briz vegas
                  OK Just finished auditioning the Apollo. Its better than my NAD T562 DVD which is as I had expected. It is not forward like the Shanling T80 but it lacks the amazing detail of that players sound. Sound stage is wide but the shanlings was wider (almost crazy wide) but Shanling was a bit 2 dimensional. The Apollo does seem to have more rythmic drive, the lack of which counted against the Shanling.

In summary I would have to say that Apollo is very different in character but overall on par with the Shanling. Any thoughts that it would match the Naim cd5x could not be further from the truth. With a bare 5x (or with flatcap) you listen to the music with the Apollo I found myself still listening to the player.

5x 1 - Well built - not perfect though - some connections not so tight
                  T80 0 - built like a tank - almost trying too hard to be heavy
                  Apollo 0 - Tupperware construction (but it would keep your leftovers fresh)

I think it may be possible to get a Saturn for audition, maybe against a Shanling T200. Could take a little while to organise but it will be interesting to see if the Naim stays on top (still love that swing out door).

Shanling T-80 needs two important upgrade right after you open the box. The tubes should be replaced and the Opamps. I'm sure an upgraded Shanling should be there side by side with this far more expensive CDP.

Comment

• Briz vegas
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Mar 2005

Music4life
                    Yes I have heard that the Shanling needs various mods to be at its very best. I understand that they are sent interstate to have the mod done. I would have thought it better to sell the modified player locally so you can hear the thing. Also I am in Australia so I am not sure if our mod is the same as the one available where you are

Does the modification change the forward character? Its a real killer for me as my system is set up across the room and therefore I prefer a neutral (not forward) character with a bit of depth. Listening to the Mozart Requiem (Dorian recording) on the Shanling the singers are standing in front of your speakers and you almost imagine them fighting for the limited space at your feet. With the other cd players they are back on the stage where they belong and you feel that you are watching the performance from good seats instead of being on stage with them.

Of course Naim offer a mod - the flatcap power supply, and it makes 5x a nicer player if the rest of your gear is up to revealing the difference. Definitely not cheap however. 5x is good bare but the 804s really needs the benefit of the outboard power supply otherwise you are missing out on too much of the available performance from these speakers.

Comment

• Music4Life
                      • May 2006

Music4life
                      Does the modification change the forward character? Its a real killer for me as my system is set up across the room and therefore I prefer a neutral (not forward) character with a bit of depth. Listening to the Mozart Requiem (Dorian recording) on the Shanling the singers are standing in front of your speakers and you almost imagine them fighting for the limited space at your feet. With the other cd players they are back on the stage where they belong and you feel that you are watching the performance from good seats instead of being on stage with them.

When you change the cheap tubes (2 pcs.) and opamps (3 pcs.) on the Shanling with more higher quality and expensive ones, the first and obvious change will be the detail, clarity and the sonic character. BTW, I installed WE396A (2 tubes) and opa2227 (3 IC). They are very easy DIY mods and it only cost me US$71.

I listened to mostly solo performers (Nora Jones, Diana Krall, Ella Fitzgerald, Nat King Cole, Susan Wong, etc.) and the forward character that you've mentioned is what I love most. What I don't understand, is it the CDP's character or the CD's that I am listening were mixed and arranged that way. This is what I believe, CD recording varies depend on how the sound tech wants it. I also listened to some operas, (Pavarotti, Domingo, Contreras and some women sopranos) but what I noticed is, the singers were liked few feet away from my center position (sweet spot).

Comment

• DL86
                        • Sep 2005

If you want a real improvement in sound stage of the shanling then the you will need to upgrade the internal clock to the LClock XO3. http://www.soundlabsgroup.com.au/pc/LC-1210x//Sound

I am planning to put one in mine soon.

Comment

• BTB
                          • Jan 2006

Briz

Have you tried any of the Consonance players... I have a CD 120 Linear (current Hi Fi + product of the year) and had a chance to compare it with a (unmodified) Shanling T80 in my own system.

While I would not describe the Shanling (a very enjoyable listen) as forward sounding (at least not in my room), the Consonance did sound a tad more laid back in comparison. Opera Audio, Consonance is distributed in Australia, by a company called Osbourne loudspeakers I think (BTW their website has links to a few comprehensive reviews on the player); surely they should be able to give you one on loan?

My room is rectangular with my system on one of the "long walls" so I listen across the shorter span, I have also found that gear with a really forward balance doesn't work for me, as you decribed... it can quickly get very oppressive having music forced on you.

Comment

• Music4Life
                            • May 2006

Originally posted by DL86
                            If you want a real improvement in sound stage of the shanling then the you will need to upgrade the internal clock to the LClock XO3. http://www.soundlabsgroup.com.au/pc/LC-1210x//Sound

I am planning to put one in mine soon.

That is one expensive upgrade. I'll pass for now. Maybe after 5-10 years if my Shanling is still working, I might.

Comment

• Briz vegas
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Mar 2005

Interesting suggestions thanks guys

Regarding detail, clarity and the sonic character, these were all fine in the basic Shanling however it is a bit laid back (not driven by the rhythm to the same degree)compared to other players that I have tried. The detail really reached out and grabbed me after listening to the NAD.

I have had theT80, Rega Apollo, my old NAD T562 and the Naim 5x (with and without the catflap :W ) in my system in the past week and the Shanling was the only player that seemed to put everything in the plain in front of my speakers. It did not do this in the store but the demo system was not particularly revealing and I was sitting further back in a room twice as deep as my own. All these factors will have had an effect. There is also my personal preferences/hearing to consider, although the owner of the T80 did not seem to strongly disagree with my comments.

I have read good things about Consonance gear and love the Forbidden City and Droplet style but there is no evidence of a Brisbane dealer on the web or elsewhere.

Comment

• BTB
                                • Jan 2006

I have read good things about Consonance gear and love the Forbidden City and Droplet style but there is no evidence of a Brisbane dealer on the web or elsewhere.
                                That's too bad. BTW I am currently using the "Calaf" integrated from the Forbidden City range... what a great product that is! Good luck anyway.

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"