• joetama
    • May 2006

I know I shouldn't of asked lol....
    -Joe

Comment

• BTB
      • Jan 2006

Originally posted by joetama
      what type of cables are you running with this CD player?
      South African made "UltraSilver" (Conductor is silver, hence the name) 1m pair between CDP & Pre amp. Probably isn't available outside of our local (S.A)market. Only info that might help is that it cost about 30% the cost of the player, not sure what that's worth to you.

Van den Hul - "D102 III Hybrid" 1m pair between the pre & power amps.

Straight Wire - "Encore II" bi wire speaker cables.

BTW,... the analogue output level of the Arcam is slightly higher than that of most comparitively priced players, just thought you should be aware of that. Not a bad thing in itself... just explains away alot of the "magic" that makes it sound (subjectively) so much more "dynamic", clearer etc... when directly compared in a A/B scenario at matched amp levels.

A "cunning trick" clearly intended by the manufacturers to produce the WOW! effect in just such a A/B situation. As I said, it's important with this player to get past the first impression and take a bit of time to let it settle on you... it's a superb player (easily one of the best available for this price), so I'm not trying to put you off buying one at all... just saying (like the first post) consider the impact on your system carefully, just to double check that you still like it as much after continued exposure.

I'm sure that having a demo at home for a few days (if you can) will really give you a balanced picture.

Comment

• whoaru99
        • Jul 2004

If one is matching levels to evaluate components, one should match voltage at the speakers, I'd think.

It would seem to do no good to level match amps (e.g. calibrate multiple amps so 1V in = 10V out) if you are going to drive them with components having different signal output levels.

The cunning trick should be nullifed in a proper level matching scenario. :T
        There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• joetama
          • May 2006

So I purchased the Arcam CD73 today. Listened to it for about and hour then to the Rotel 1072 for about an hour then the Classe (just for fun) then back over the other two quickly. (Good thing my buddy works at the shop lol) The Arcam is definatly a better sounding player to my ears. I enjoyed it a lot. Looking forward to getting it home ....
          -Joe

Comment

• Indytown
            • Apr 2005

So I purchased the Arcam CD73 today. Listened to it for about and hour then to the Rotel 1072 for about an hour then the Classe (just for fun) then back over the other two quickly. (Good thing my buddy works at the shop lol) The Arcam is definatly a better sounding player to my ears. I enjoyed it a lot. Looking forward to getting it home ....
            I have had the Arcam CD 33 for several years and love it. I have just upgraded to the MCD 201 from MAC; much better in detail retrival, bass reproduction and has a Class "A'' amp sound to it if you know what I mean.

Comment

• joetama
              • May 2006

Oh yes.... I know what you mean... LOL....
              -Joe

Comment

• jim777
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Indytown
                I have had the Arcam CD 33 for several years and love it. I have just upgraded to the MCD 201 from MAC; much better in detail retrival, bass reproduction and has a Class "A'' amp sound to it if you know what I mean.
                Oh yeah, I love mine. Upgraded from the 1072 to the 201. However we are not in the proposed 500-1k budget anymore!! In that range I recommend the 1072, the Rega Apollo or a DAC1.

But the MCD201 is sure sweet

Comment

• Indytown
                  • Apr 2005

Originally posted by jim777
                  Oh yeah, I love mine. Upgraded from the 1072 to the 201. However we are not in the proposed 500-1k budget anymore!! In that range I recommend the 1072, the Rega Apollo or a DAC1.

But the MCD201 is sure sweet
                  Sorry, didn't read the whole post.

Comment

• Indytown
                    • Apr 2005

Originally posted by BTB
                    Hi Joetama

I have a Arcam CD 73 T. It's a good player, but I might be changing it soon.

After many months I am now willing to admit (to myself) that my system is simply too bright. Thing is, my previous system was a little too soft for my liking, so I guess in a way I was attracted to the "sharp focus" of my current set-up (and the Arcam in particular) as a reaction to the things that frustrated me about the system before.

Just for the record...I'm not saying that the Arcam is solely to blame for the brightness... I might well be changing my CD player or amps (Rotel 10 series at present) or speakers (B&W 704's), whatever sounds best based on home audition, to get the balance better.

Just something you said in a previous post got me thinking... I too fell for the Arcam because of it's "dynamics" and "detail resolution": both aspects do sound really exciting when doing a relatively short A/B against another player, but unless you match carefully, I fear that you might end up with something that isn't such a great long term listen.

That said, (with careful matching) as a relatively inexpensive single disc player it'll run rings around a Rotel 1072 in terms of soundstage width and (the aforementioned) detail resolution (and general involvement factor), and I'd still rather own the Arcam than either the Rotel or a NAD (I tried a 521BEE & 542) you mentioned you had tried, for this kind of money.

I guess I'm simply saying that you should realise that some of the qualities that you like about the Arcam at present, could, in effect, become the very things you hate about it months from now. So do consider it's impact as it relates to the rest of your system.
                    I would think that amp, speaker and pre amp synergy should be addressed first.

Comment

• BTB
                      • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Indytown
                      I would think that amp, speaker and pre amp synergy should be addressed first.
                      I agree. I've now pretty much decided that the amps will be the first to change. As I said, I doubt the CD player is to blame, but I'm probably going to change it at the same time anyway, cause I've recently been offered a good deal on a better one.

Comment

• joetama
                        • May 2006

Wow I am going to get flamed for this one.....But I thought it made a serious difference.

I demoed the CD player with and without the Nordost Blue Heaven Cables. With out, I definatly heard that brightness that was a bit over powering, but with it was much warmer and fuller. The high was not as harsh and the bass responce filled in much better around it.

I am getting out the burn cream now for when I get totally flamed for saying that.....
                        -Joe

Comment

• BTB
                          • Jan 2006

I am getting out the burn cream now for when I get totally flamed for saying that.....
                          Why? I couldn't care less when people say cables make no difference, I've heard the difference for myself too many times to be unclear about this.

Personally I think this player is very responsive to cable changes.

Anyway, I'm not spoiling for a "let's have another useless, subjective debate" scenario here, just as an owner of the same CDP I can share your experience.

Comment

• joetama
                            • May 2006

Time for a new question... Instead of making a new thread I'll just bump this one...

I've had the Arcam for a year now and LOVE IT! It is a wonderful player.

However, I have read/heard that Arcam CD73 CD Players are upgradeable... You guys know anything about that?
                            -Joe

Comment

• Alloroc
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Dec 2005

Time for a new question... Instead of making a new thread I'll just bump this one...

I've had the Arcam for a year now and LOVE IT! It is a wonderful player.

However, I have read/heard that Arcam CD73 CD Players are upgradeable... You guys know anything about that?

Yep, you can upgrade the CD73 to the CD192 spec. my buddy did it. It has to be done via your dealer - not DIY. It cost about €700 or STG£500.
                              Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• joetama
                                • May 2006

What is that in USD?

Did he see a big improvement?
                                -Joe

Comment

• Alloroc
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Dec 2005

What is that in USD?

Did he see a big improvement?
                                  I suppose with the weak dollar, about a grand. But it could be cheaper, in fairness. Everything in North America always is.

He did. Quite a bit too. We demod in the shop before we left for home and on a side by side with an original CD192, it produced an identical sound. It was hooked up to a pait on 802ds and a Classe amp and was stunning. The CD73 he had in the shop when hooked up after, while fast and exciting, like you'd expect, was now not as crisp, clear and smooth as the CD192. I did not get to listen a/b at his place - given the CD73 was no more. He since upgrade his speakers as he said the upgraded player was now a bit harsh with HFs. He had B&W 705s and now got a pair of 805s and apparently all is well with the world - they work well with the player.
                                  Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"