X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • joetama
    • May 2006

Good CD Player

Hey all,

I'm looking for a good CD player to add to my setup. I really don't specifically need one that does SACD or DVD-Audio but that would be nice.

Right now my system is made up of Rotel RSP-1098, RB-1080, Pioneer Elite DVD Player, and B&W 703's...

Thanks for the input.

Looking to spend about $500-$1000. The less the better
    -Joe
  • soundhound
    • Mar 2004

Jolida JD100 can be had for around the $800+ mark. If you like a nice analog sound this does it with all ss gear (pre and power).

Comment

• GregLett
      • May 2005

joetama,

I would try the Rotel RCD 1072. I've learned that Rotel CD player matches very well Rotel pre-amps.
      Last edited by GregLett; 08 August 2006, 21:35 Tuesday.
      Greg

Comment

• jim777
        • Mar 2005

I would go for the 1072 too.

Comment

• wkhanna
          Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

A 'gently' used Shanling or Cary? Valves can do wonders for digital source material, IMHO.
          _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
          ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• miner
            • Mar 2005

RCD-1072 has my vote. My RCC-1055 is one of the best sounding changers for the $$ I have auditioned/bought. I previously used Yamaha, Sony, Harmon-Kardon & Denon changers.

Comment

• whoaru99
              • Jul 2004

I'd give the Music Hall MMF-25 a try if you can. I have not heard the newer .2 version, bu the original sounded pretty good to me.

It's at the bottom end of your price spectrum.

The only caveat is that I believe it's Redbook only; no MP3, WMA, etc.
              There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• r100gs
                • May 2005

Check out the Chinese market of CD players. Many can be had at 110/120v. They are a gamble when it comes to service and warranty, but there are some very nice units to be had for the price.
                Jay

Comment

• pearsall001
                  • Dec 2005

Consonance line by Opera Audio. Excellent company with superb products. I have their CD120 upsampling CD player. Highly recommend!!!

Comment

• revelman
                    • Jul 2006

Music Hall cd25.2

Sounds great for the price and looks real good. If you are the upgrading type, the cd player can be easily modded to compete with $1500 plus cd players. Check out audiogon for brand new, modded, for 800.00

Comment

• Alloroc
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Dec 2005

Originally posted by revelman
                      Music Hall cd25.2

Sounds great for the price and looks real good. If you are the upgrading type, the cd player can be easily modded to compete with $1500 plus cd players. Check out audiogon for brand new, modded, for 800.00

Hi,

From what I've heard....

For less the - Cambridge Audio Azur 640c.

For more - As already suggested - Consonance or a Shanling.

V.
                      Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• twitch54
                        • Apr 2006

For under a grand the Rotel 1072 gets my vote as well. If your willing to spend more, Modwright does a superb job on Sony players so I'm told.
                        Dave

Comment

• Ovation
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Sep 2004

For less, I'd second the Cambridge Audio 640C (v. 2 is now available--nice player). For more, perhaps something from Arcam.

Comment

• joetama
                            • May 2006

Originally posted by Alloroc
                            Hi,

From what I've heard....

For less the - Cambridge Audio Azur 640c.

For more - As already suggested - Consonance or a Shanling.

V.
                            I've actually been looking at the player. I got the August edition of Hi-Fi Choice and was reading it and they ranked that CD player pretty high for the money, 250 pounds sterling, which would means i can most likely get it fro around $400 here in the states. I don't know if any of my local dealers carry this brand however.

Do you guys think that I would have an audible difference in my sound by switching from playing CD's in my Pioneer DVD player to a CD player? I am thinking yes/maybe. What do you guys think?
                            -Joe

Comment

• Ovation
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Sep 2004

Originally posted by joetama
                              I've actually been looking at the player. I got the August edition of Hi-Fi Choice and was reading it and they ranked that CD player pretty high for the money, 250 pounds sterling, which would means i can most likely get it fro around $400 here in the states. I don't know if any of my local dealers carry this brand however.

Do you guys think that I would have an audible difference in my sound by switching from playing CD's in my Pioneer DVD player to a CD player? I am thinking yes/maybe. What do you guys think?
                              Only if you plan to use the analogue outputs. If you are using the digital output of the CD player to your receiver you will not notice any difference (some may argue that different transports CAN sound different from one another, though I'm sceptical. Even so, at the price range you laid out, I don't think the transport will have an audible effect if you use the digital output).

And do check out the Cambridge Audio 640C if you have a chance. It would be on my short list of players under 1000-1200$ (I think you'd have spend beyond that to notice an improvement over the 640C, but let your ears decide).

Comment

• theMaximus
                                • Jul 2004

Cambridge Audio Azur 640C V2.0 goes for $549 online in the U.S. I had a 540C V1.0 before I upgraded to Marantz SA15-S1, and it sounded pretty good while I had it. From what I hear, new 640C V2 has dual DACs and sound very impressive for a CD player under $1K.
                                Victory Shall Be Mine!!! :heh:

Comment

• whoaru99
                                  • Jul 2004

Last research I've done indicated the Cambridge players had some reliability concerns. Perhaps could be corrected in the V2.

The (list) price difference between that and the stock Music Hall 25.2 is only $50 and the Music Hall is a pretty solid player.

If you want something even less, but still pretty good, IMO, the ONIX XCD-99 is essentially the original Music Hall 25 for only $399. It's a nice sounding player, IMO, through the analog outputs.

If you are going to go with a digital connection, then IMO, a $49 player sounds the same as something more expensive - just as long as you don't mind the possibility of a noisy and slow transport and something that does not have much for looks.
                                  There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• peterS
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Dec 2005

Originally posted by theMaximus
                                    Cambridge Audio Azur 640C V2.0 goes for $549 online in the U.S. I had a 540C V1.0 before I upgraded to Marantz SA15-S1, and it sounded pretty good while I had it. From what I hear, new 640C V2 has dual DACs and sound very impressive for a CD player under $1K.
                                    i went with the 540 since i may use an external dac down the road... very solid

Comment

• peterS
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Dec 2005

Originally posted by whoaru99
                                      Last research I've done indicated the Cambridge players had some reliability concerns. Perhaps could be corrected in the V2.

The (list) price difference between that and the stock Music Hall 25.2 is only $50 and the Music Hall is a pretty solid player.

If you want something even less, but still pretty good, IMO, the ONIX XCD-99 is essentially the original Music Hall 25 for only $399. It's a nice sounding player, IMO, through the analog outputs.

If you are going to go with a digital connection, then IMO, a $49 player sounds the same as something more expensive - just as long as you don't mind the possibility of a noisy and slow transport and something that does not have much for looks.
                                      is not jitter still a concern?

Comment

• soundhound
                                        • Mar 2004

peters, a little sidetracking, but if you are in the market for a good dac, check with Steve Huntley @ greatnorthernsound.com. He is just south of White Bear Lake, and is truely someone to get to know.

Comment

• whoaru99
                                          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by peterS
                                          is not jitter still a concern?
                                          Dunno, I'm not too up on that technical detail. Although I have seen quite a bit of discussion on just how big (or not) of a deal it is. As I recall, opinions vary pretty widely on the subject but I've not bothered to dig into it much.

All I can relate is my experience. My brother and I listened to 5 or 6 different redbook and universal players through their analog sections and via digital. They all seemed to sound the same to both he and I when connected via digital.

Here again, is a very good case to try a blind, level-matched test. :T

I'm not saying buy all gear based on blind, level-matched tests, but for those who have never tried and have strong opinions, it can be a humbling experience as Andrew said in the poll thread about blind testing.

I understand someone not wanting a $49 player in their rack, it's not very nice looking. But, from a purely audio scenario, I am not convinced of any readily distinguishable differences in players via a digital connection. YMMV.

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• jim777
                                            • Mar 2005

I'm not sure about this one but I'll say it anyway. If you have a DVD player like mine that insists on resampling to 48k, 96k or 192k, and the resampling algo isn't great, doesn't that modify the sound a lot, at least for CD's..? I will have to try a better DAC for my DVD player, but even then I'm not sure I will get something as good as my top-quality CD player.

Of course, in the case of a dedicated CD player, I assume that the SPDIF must be 44.1k so nothing can go wrong.

Comment

• DL86
                                              • Sep 2005

Well, I would recommend a Shanling CD-T80 after an extensive listening session with the CD-T100 and a Musical fidelity A3.5 I put my money down on a CD-T80. I found the CD-T80 to sound better than the MF A3.5 which costs almost twice the price here in AUS. I just loved the sound i got from the CD-T80 although I didn't find much difference between the CD-T100 and CD-T80 possibly because it wasn't warmed up properly. The MF just didn't cut it for me, couldn't resist the valve sound of the shanling's.

Comment

• whoaru99
                                                • Jul 2004

I've not heard the Shanling players, but the sound of the analog outputs is why I recommended the Music Hall CD 25.

To me it seemed "warmer" and with a wider/deeper soundstage than others in our little test. A couple of Denons were included and, while I thought they were a very pure/clean sound, they seemed just a bit too clean/analytical for my tastes when compared to the Music Hall.

All just depends on the "sound" one is looking for.

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• Ovation
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • Sep 2004

Originally posted by jim777
                                                  I'm not sure about this one but I'll say it anyway. If you have a DVD player like mine that insists on resampling to 48k, 96k or 192k, and the resampling algo isn't great, doesn't that modify the sound a lot, at least for CD's..? I will have to try a better DAC for my DVD player, but even then I'm not sure I will get something as good as my top-quality CD player.

Of course, in the case of a dedicated CD player, I assume that the SPDIF must be 44.1k so nothing can go wrong.
                                                  Some CD ONLY players also do upsampling (can't remember the brands offhand, but I know I've read about more than one) but, IIRC, that can be switched off on at least one of them.

Comment

• jim777
                                                    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Ovation
                                                    Some CD ONLY players also do upsampling (can't remember the brands offhand, but I know I've read about more than one) but, IIRC, that can be switched off on at least one of them.
                                                    Upsampling CD to a factor of 44.1 (88.2, etc.) is a lot easier (and should sound better) than upsampling to a factor of 48 (48, 96, 192) like my DVD player would do. Maybe it can output 44.1 in RAW mode, anyway my DAC doesn't tell what frequency it is locked to.

Comment

• DL86
                                                      • Sep 2005

whoaru99, Musical Hall cd players are made in the same factory as the shanling cd players are. If you heard a Music hall then you have also heard a shanling at the same time lol. Same players different badge.

Ovation, shanling does upsampling on all their players.

Comment

• revelman
                                                        • Jul 2006

Check out this months issue of The Absolute Sound. The music hall cd25.2 got very good reviews. I was gonna go with the cambridge but i heard the reliability issue was not very good. So why chance it when there are other very good cd players out there.

So far im loving the music hall through the analogue. It definitely was an improvement over my panasonic dvd player. Plus if i get bored or feel like upgrading, the music hall responds easily to mods.

Comment

• Ovation
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Sep 2004

My Cambridge Audio player has given me 2 years of problem-free use, but reliability concerns are certainly legit (I "settled" for my second best choice in receivers because with my first choice--a highly reputable brand, particularly for reliability--I had two defective units, so it could happen to any brand). However, I've not heard of any reliability problems outside this thread for Cambridge Audio. Does anyone have a reference?

Comment

• Amfibius
                                                            • Jul 2006

Well, I would recommend a Shanling CD-T80 after an extensive listening session with the CD-T100 and a Musical fidelity A3.5 I put my money down on a CD-T80. I found the CD-T80 to sound better than the MF A3.5 which costs almost twice the price here in AUS. I just loved the sound i got from the CD-T80 although I didn't find much difference between the CD-T100 and CD-T80 possibly because it wasn't warmed up properly. The MF just didn't cut it for me, couldn't resist the valve sound of the shanling's.
                                                            Wow DL86, the Shanling's must be very good then. I was very impressed with the sound of the Musical Fidelity A5, which I heard in a direct A:B with my CDP (Cary CD-306). And from memory the A3.5 sounded pretty close to the A5, just a little less depth and a little less bass. Pity you're in Sydney, I would have pestered you for a listen otherwise

Comment

• PewterTA
                                                              • Nov 2004

Cambridge Azur 640c with the Benchmark Dac1!!!

---------------
                                                              Woo Hoo for my 1000 post! ha ha
                                                              Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                                                              -Dan

Comment

• whoaru99
                                                                • Jul 2004

Originally posted by DL86
                                                                whoaru99, Musical Hall cd players are made in the same factory as the shanling cd players are. If you heard a Music hall then you have also heard a shanling at the same time lol. Same players different badge.

Ovation, shanling does upsampling on all their players.
                                                                Maybe. Just because they are made in the same factory, does not mean they are the same as the Shanling players. Besides, I thought the Shanlings in reference here were the tube models.

Anyway, good information none the less...

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• whoaru99
                                                                  • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Ovation
                                                                  However, I've not heard of any reliability problems outside this thread for Cambridge Audio. Does anyone have a reference?
                                                                  Just a few things I read in reviews on AudioReview.com.

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• whoaru99
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Jul 2004

Originally posted by PewterTA
                                                                    Cambridge Azur 640c with the Benchmark Dac1!!!

---------------
                                                                    Woo Hoo for my 1000 post! ha ha
                                                                    Why would you want to spend that much on a player that touts new and improved internal DACs, etc., and then connect it to an external DAC?

Certainly one could find a decent looking and capable (but less expensive) player to use for a transport, IMO.

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• r100gs
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • May 2005

Originally posted by whoaru99
                                                                      Why would you want to spend that much on a player that touts new and improved internal DACs, etc., and then connect it to an external DAC?

Certainly one could find a decent looking and capable (but less expensive) player to use for a transport, IMO.

It can be fun listening to the different sources. I have a cd player in which I can switch the source on my pre-amp and listen to it three different ways, internal dac, internal tube buffered dac and external dac.
                                                                      Jay

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                                        • Dec 2000

Wow, now THAT's hardcore.
                                                                        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                                                                        - Pleasantville

Comment

• joetama
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • May 2006

What do you guys think of the Arcam CD73? I went into my local store day and it's what my dealer said could be one of my options...
                                                                          -Joe

Comment

• Ovation
                                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                                            • Sep 2004
                                                                            • 2202

Arcam make excellent CD players--it's one brand I would consider "trading up" for from my Cambridge Audio.

Comment

• PewterTA
                                                                              Moderator
                                                                              • Nov 2004
                                                                              • 2901

#39
                                                                              I have the CA 640c v1, had it for about a year, loved it, I decided to try the DAC1 and I'm loving the sound of music a whole lot more. I tried playing CDs through my PC, Xbox360, and DVD player (Pioneer player) and it doesn't sound as good as through the 640c....

I know people that have the Denon 2900 with the DAC1.....
                                                                              -Dan

Comment

• joetama
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • May 2006
                                                                                • 786

#40
                                                                                I was looking at some NAD player, but just didn't like them... Didn't seem as bright or dynamic as the Arcam or Cambridge. I'm really leaning towards the Arcam just because of the price.

I've been to 2 stores, but it's really hard to find places ingeneral that you aren't waisting your time by going to....
                                                                                -Joe

Comment

• PewterTA
                                                                                  Moderator
                                                                                  • Nov 2004
                                                                                  • 2901

#41
                                                                                  Hey, buy what sounds good to you, not what "we" suggest. Your ears will tell you what sounds the best (everyone's ears are different).

We can just give suggestions on set ups that sound good.
                                                                                  -Dan

Comment

• BTB
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Jan 2006
                                                                                    • 198

#42
                                                                                    Hi Joetama

I have a Arcam CD 73 T. It's a good player, but I might be changing it soon.

After many months I am now willing to admit (to myself) that my system is simply too bright. Thing is, my previous system was a little too soft for my liking, so I guess in a way I was attracted to the "sharp focus" of my current set-up (and the Arcam in particular) as a reaction to the things that frustrated me about the system before.

Just for the record...I'm not saying that the Arcam is solely to blame for the brightness... I might well be changing my CD player or amps (Rotel 10 series at present) or speakers (B&W 704's), whatever sounds best based on home audition, to get the balance better.

Just something you said in a previous post got me thinking... I too fell for the Arcam because of it's "dynamics" and "detail resolution": both aspects do sound really exciting when doing a relatively short A/B against another player, but unless you match carefully, I fear that you might end up with something that isn't such a great long term listen.

That said, (with careful matching) as a relatively inexpensive single disc player it'll run rings around a Rotel 1072 in terms of soundstage width and (the aforementioned) detail resolution (and general involvement factor), and I'd still rather own the Arcam than either the Rotel or a NAD (I tried a 521BEE & 542) you mentioned you had tried, for this kind of money.

I guess I'm simply saying that you should realise that some of the qualities that you like about the Arcam at present, could, in effect, become the very things you hate about it months from now. So do consider it's impact as it relates to the rest of your system.

Comment

• joetama
                                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                                      • May 2006
                                                                                      • 786

#43
                                                                                      Originally posted by BTB
                                                                                      Hi Joetama

I have a Arcam CD 73 T. It's a good player, but I might be changing it soon.

After many months I am now willing to admit (to myself) that my system is simply too bright. Thing is, my previous system was a little too soft for my liking, so I guess in a way I was attracted to the "sharp focus" of my current set-up (and the Arcam in particular) as a reaction to the things that frustrated me about the system before.

Just for the record...I'm not saying that the Arcam is solely to blame for the brightness... I might well be changing my CD player or amps (Rotel 10 series at present) or speakers (B&W 704's), whatever sounds best based on home audition, to get the balance better.

Just something you said in a previous post got me thinking... I too fell for the Arcam because of it's "dynamics" and "detail resolution": both aspects do sound really exciting when doing a relatively short A/B against another player, but unless you match carefully, I fear that you might end up with something that isn't such a great long term listen.

That said, (with careful matching) as a relatively inexpensive single disc player it'll run rings around a Rotel 1072 in terms of soundstage width and (the aforementioned) detail resolution (and general involvement factor), and I'd still rather own the Arcam than either the Rotel or a NAD (I tried a 521BEE & 542) you mentioned you had tried, for this kind of money.

I guess I'm simply saying that you should realise that some of the qualities that you like about the Arcam at present, could, in effect, become the very things you hate about it months from now. So do consider it's impact as it relates to the rest of your system.
                                                                                      Thank you very much for this info. I appreciate it. I will defiantly take that into consideration when I go back to my dealer. I am going to try to do a home demo with it for a few days this week, so I will defiantly be careful not to over look what you have said. Also, what type of cables are you running with this CD player? (I know I know they don’t make any difference *hints at sarcasm*….. Don’t flame me for asking this)
                                                                                      -Joe

Comment

• sonicbaer
                                                                                        Member
                                                                                        • Jul 2006
                                                                                        • 72

#44
                                                                                        Originally posted by joetama
                                                                                        Thank you very much for this info. I appreciate it. I will defiantly take that into consideration when I go back to my dealer. I am going to try to do a home demo with it for a few days this week, so I will defiantly be careful not to over look what you have said. Also, what type of cables are you running with this CD player? (I know I know they don’t make any difference *hints at sarcasm*….. Don’t flame me for asking this)

I'd use the Transparent Opus MM 1m interconnect...it's a bargin at $9500.00
                                                                                        don't panic that's for a pair...

Don't forget the power cord..the Transparent MM PowerLink..1695.00

MBaer'sen

Am I going to get into trouble over this ?

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                          • Dec 2000
                                                                                          • 16877

#45
                                                                                          You mean from your wife for spending $11,200 on two cables?
                                                                                          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                                                                                          - Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"