X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BlazeMaster
    • May 2004

Help me with my dilema

Hey guys, I'm at the point of upgrading where I'm not sure where my money would benefit me the most, so here to seek advice again.
    My older setup:
    Display: 53in. CRT RPTV
    DVD player: Denon DVD2200
    Receiver: AVR2805
    Speakers: B&W603s, LCR600, 601s
    Subwoofer: SVS PBplus/2.

After selling most of the big and bulky things that I don't want to take with me when I move, here's what I ended up with.

Currenty setup:
    Display: Infocus SP5000
    DVD Player: I have a DVD2910 on order...
    Receiver: same AVR2805
    Speakers: B&W603s, HTM7, 601s
    Subwoofer: sold the SVS, not sure what to get now, but definitly something smaller in size.

I have a few options, by either picking up more used stuff on the net or going with my dealer's trade in program, but here's the options:
    1. Trade in the 603s for 704s, because I now have the HTM7 center channel.
    2. Trade in my LCR600 center for either a B&W sub, or a Rotel 1075 and use my Denon as a Pre amp.
    3. Pick up a used sub online, or get another smaller SVS brand new from SVS.

Now, if you're to only pick 2 of the 3 options, which would you pick for a setup that's about 70%HT and 30%Music. Thanks.
  • georgev
    • Jul 2004

I would pick the first two.
    Get the 704's which will match your HTM7 perfectly and will sound significantly better that the 603's.
    Get the power amp.(perhaps look for a more powerful one used) and use the Denon as a pre. with a view to perhaps changing your 2805 to a 3805 later.
    My .02cents.

Comment

• weijst
      • Jun 2004

If I had to choose I'd say option 2b.

But may I add option 2c: get a RB-1080

I doubt comming from a AVR-2805 a RMB-1075 will give you the performance leap you're (assumably) after. The RB-1080 will really open up those 603's, sothat your urge to upgrade them will be gone (for now ). Futhermore the RB-1080 is more futureproof than the 1075...

I also doubt the jump from a DM603 (S3?) to a 704 will be worth it. Get a pair of 703's or 804S (considerably upgrading both your high AND medium frequencies). If price is an issue, get a used pair of N804's...

A sub is nice for HT and it does indeed add an extra dimension. However I think you'll be able to settle with the LFE comming out of your floorstanders for a while. In order to improve the experience in both 2ch and HT, I'd say spend your money on speakers and amps first.
      Marantz SR7005, UD5007; B&W SCMS, Nautilus SCM1; Velodyne SPL-1200R

Comment

• rick c
        • Aug 2004

Have you thoght of maybe getting rid of the denon and get the rotel rsx1056 and maybe add the rb1080?

Comment

• georgev
          • Jul 2004

Correct me if I am wrong but won't the highs and midrange of the 704 and 703 be virtually the same? Will there be a huge difference b/w the two? Yes from there to the 804s will be a change.
          I would go with getting a 1080 though.

Comment

• weijst
            • Jun 2004

Correct me if I am wrong but won't the highs and midrange of the 704 and 703 be virtually the same? Will there be a huge difference b/w the two?...
            The highs may be virtually the same (704 <=> 703). The 703 however features the FST MIDrange, which the 704 does not... The 703's mids are considerably different (may I say superior?).

I had the oppertunity to hear both the 705 (no FST) and the 804 (FST) on my system in my room. Believe me, there is a difference...

Comment

• csuzor
              • Nov 2004

I would go with option 1, get the 704. I compared the 704 to 603, and it was a major improvement, there is no comparison possible. Higher up, the 703 is not really matched to the HTM7, only the 705 is perfectly matched, but the 704 keeps the same spirit and adds good bass which the 705 doesn't have. The 703 or 80x would just make you want to upgrade the HTM7. I have the 704 and HTM7 today, and it's a pleasure (though of course I want to upgrade to 80x later, like everyone?)
              After option 1, you will want to upgrade the Denon to a Rotel receiver or prepro/power, so save some money for this later.
              Christophe

Comment

• BlazeMaster
                • May 2004

yea I figured that going with the 704s would be the popular choice here, since there's quite a bit of 2 channel lovers here and I'd end up with better 2 ch. performance with the 704s. So that option is sealed and done with.

The main reason why I'm thinking about getting the 1075 amp over any other amp options is that I want to go into separates sooner or later, so getting a 2 ch. amp will only make the upgrades to separates more costly. I'd have to get more than one amp. I'll see if I can find any deals online in the next couple of months, maybe I can find a good value sub for cheap as 2nd hand.
                One more question for you guys, in which order of upgrading would get me the most noticeble improvements? I'm thinking the 704s and the sub will be the most noticeble....no?

Comment

• rick c
                  • Aug 2004

I have a question.Is jumping from the 603s3 to the 704's really a significant upgrade?I always heard that a better upgrade would be to go to the 703's or even better to the 804's.I may be wrong but i understood that going from the 603's to the 704's is not much of an upgrade.But who am i to judge.All kidding aside tho this was my understanding maybe i was misinformed.

Comment

• csuzor
                    • Nov 2004

Since you say the 704 option is sealed and done, I will assume that you are comparing the relative advantage of the sub Vs the 1075... personally I got the 1068+1075 before the sub, but I was using a lower grade Denon AVR than you are. I heard someone say on this forum some time ago, the 2805 + 1075 sounded very close to the 2805 on it's own (it may have been the 3805...), but when they changed to 1068+1075 then the advantage was clear. Now, I feel I could use a sub with my 704.

Conclusion: get the split 1068+1075 when you can afford both, in the meantime get the sub if you can't wait to spend your money.

Comment

• BlazeMaster
                      • May 2004

great minds think alike huh csuzor...hehe
                      Yes, I'm thinking about selling my LCR600 and use that money to help me pay for trading in the 603s for 704s.

To rick c, regarding your question or comment on 600s vs. 700s: I liked the 600s series the first time I've heard it and have had it for about a year now. After having them at home for quite some time, I think I'm ready for the next level. Not sure if you remember one of my posts awhile back stating that I find the cabinet resonaces on most of the bigger 600s speakers very noticeble. I see the upgrade to the 700s as more of long term investment and won't really be upgrading the speakers for a while, unless I find a pair of black 705s at a great deal.
                      Thanks everyone for helping me make up my mind.

Comment

• weijst
                        • Jun 2004

...Is jumping from the 603s3 to the 704's really a significant upgrade?I always heard that a better upgrade would be to go to the 703's or even better to the 804's.I may be wrong but i understood that going from the 603's to the 704's is not much of an upgrade...
                        See earlier post in this thread, where I mentioned exactly the same.

Going from 603's to 704's is indeed an upgrade, but the performance-leap/dollar might turn out to be a bit disappointing. Now if you were comming from a bookshelf 60x it would be a different story.

Blazemaster, you mentioned you see the upgrade to the 704's as more of a long term investment. Well if I read csuzor's post again, he mentions he will be getting the 80x later, just like me (somehow the 70x makes you wanna do that ). Comming from the 603's, why not skip the 70x, jump to the 80x right away and eventually save some money? (money issue? => get used N804's). Unless you're planning on using the 704's as surrounds eventually.

One more question for you guys, in which order of upgrading would get me the most noticeble improvements? I'm thinking the 704s and the sub will be the most noticeble....no?
                        FYI:
                        My initial system: Marantz SR5200 reciever ("6 x 85watt"), B&W 602's, Yamaha sub (YST-SW320), surrounds not worth mentioning...
                        Step 1: Added a RMB-1075 => big performance leap, my 602's really opened up!
                        Step 2: Replaced SR5400 with RSP-1068 => disappointing performance leap (+ started to miss a tuner )
                        Step 3: Replaced 602's with 705's => medium performance leap, larger soundstage, less but tighter bass (+ my interest in 2ch arose)

Temporarily had N804's => WOW, even on a RMB-1075 a huge performance leap!

(Step 4: Added the RT-1080 tuner )
                        Step 5: will add N804's or 804S's. Probably even sell my sub to help me finance this step as my Yamaha sub didn't really add anything anymore once the 804's were fired up (in my room that is).

Remember this is how I'd do it / how I did it, you might consider other things to be more important. I'm just sharing my experiences here and on the long run, isn't that what this forum is all about?
                        Last edited by weijst; 13 May 2005, 05:21 Friday.

Comment

• BlazeMaster
                          • May 2004

yea I'd love to be able to bring a pair of 804s and swap the HTM7
                          for a HTM1, but I have things coming up where I'll be needing all the extra cash. I'm going to be in school full time and won't be working much so need that extra cash just in case something comes up. For me, the 700s is enough of a upgrade to hold me back for the time being. I personally think the 700s are a good upgrade from the 600s sonically and aesthetically. And plus, looking at the caliber that my electronics are at right now, I won't be able to get the best out of 800s anyways, and it'll require another major upgrades on amps and preamps. Just too much money involved in the route of 800s.

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"