X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bob
    • Jul 2000

"Rumble, The Best of Link Wray"

If you don't know who Link Wray is, here is part of the bio from the All Music Guide website:

Link Wray may never get into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, but his contribution to the language of rockin' guitar would still be a major one, even if he had never walked into another studio after cutting "Rumble." Quite simply, Link Wray invented the power chord, the major modus operandi of modern rock guitarists. Listen to any of the tracks he recorded between that landmark instrumental in 1958 through his Swan recordings in the early 1960s and you'll hear the blueprints for heavy metal, thrash, you name it. Though rock historians always like to draw a nice, clean line between the distorted electric guitar work that fuels early blues records to the late-'60s Hendrix-Clapton-Beck-Page-Townshend mob, with no stops in between, a quick spin of any of the sides Link recorded during his golden decade punches holes in that theory right quick. If a direct line from a black blues musician crankin' up his amp and playing with a ton of violence and aggression can be traced to a young, white guy doing a mutated form of same, the line points straight to Link Wray, no contest. Pete Townshend summed it up for more guitarists than he probably realized when he said, "He is the king; if it hadn't been for Link Wray and 'Rumble,' I would have never picked up a guitar." Everything that was handed down to today's current crop of headbangers from the likes of Led Zeppelin and the Who can be traced back to the guy from Dunn, North Carolina, who started out in 1955 recording for Starday as a member of Lucky Wray and the Palomino Ranch Hands. You see, back in the early '50s, it was a different ballgame altogether. Rock & roll hadn't become a national event yet, and if you were young and white and wanted to be in the music business, you had two avenues for possible career moves. You could be a pop-mush crooner like Perry Como or a hillbilly singer like the late Hank Williams, and that was about it. With country music all around him as a youth in North Carolina, the choice was obvious; Wray joined forces with his brothers Vernon and Doug, forming Lucky Wray and the Lazy Pine Wranglers, later changing it to the spiffier-sounding Palomino Ranch Hands. By the end of 1955, they had relocated outside of Washington, D.C. and added Shorty Horton on bass. With Link, Horton, and brothers Doug and Vernon ("Lucky," named after his gambling fortunes) handling drums and lead vocals respectively, they fell in with some local songwriters, and the results made it to vinyl as an EP on the local Kay label, with the rest of the sides being leased to Starday Records down in Texas.
  • Danbry39
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2002

Good head's up Bob. I have a Link Wray vinyl album, but no working turntable right now. Not in the Hall of Fame. Should be. He was a groundbreaker. He played guitar with bravado.
    Keith

Comment

• John Holmes
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Yes, interesting stuff Bob. Good read.
      "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Yep, got me curious. Link Wray huh? Interesting name.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Bob
          • Jul 2000

If you have a TT. Forget looking for "Rumble". I just bought Sundazed latest 180 gram vinyl offering, "Link Wray and the Ray Men The Swan Singles Collection 1963-1969".
          I have not been this excited about a collection in a long time. This it great rock and roll history. When you look at the dates of the singles and then realize what was on the radio at that time Link Wray really stands out as a maverick. It must have been lonely being that far ahead of the pack.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"