X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stevo238
    • Apr 2006

Two channel integrated needed

Looking for a budget/mid priced integrated to match with my Monitor Audio bookshelfs. These speakers have metal drivers that are quick, accurate and sometimes unforgiving, some might say "bright sounding". The bass is more than adequate though. I'm looking for an integrated that will tame the treble but not cover up it's other fine attributes. Thanks.

S.
  • Victor
    • Apr 2002

Originally posted by stevo238
    Looking for a budget/mid priced integrated to match with my Monitor Audio bookshelfs.
    S.
    it is hard to go wrong with Rotel RA-1062

Comment

• jim777
      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Victor
      it is hard to go wrong with Rotel RA-1062
      :agree:
      I agree 100%. That amp is a steal. Sounded great with some bright speakers and it can give bass. The tone control is actually usable (with badly mastered CD's).

Of course, you will also need a quality source if it isn't already the case.

BTW welcome to the club :later:

Comment

• gd
        • Jan 2003

Agree with the Rotel, but a possibly even better match might be made with Marantz.

I've auditioned and setup a few Marantz / MA systems for friends... they really sing together.
        greg (gd to you)
        Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
        production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• Audiophiliac
          • Apr 2006

I would also consider a used Musical Fidelity...maybe a 3.2 int. They are awesome!

I went back and forth between Paradigm Studio 60 v.2 and Monitor Audio Silver 5i a few years ago...you say quick and accurate...no doubt. I listened to Metallica - One on them and 2 salesmen and myself couldnt believe the kick of the kick drum those things threw at you. This was in a HUGE room too. Wow...eventually I wound up with the Studio 60...but I still think I might get a used set of Silver 5i just for that one song.

Comment

• alebonau
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Audiophiliac
            I would also consider a used Musical Fidelity...maybe a 3.2 int. They are awesome!

I went back and forth between Paradigm Studio 60 v.2 and Monitor Audio Silver 5i a few years ago...you say quick and accurate...no doubt. I listened to Metallica - One on them and 2 salesmen and myself couldnt believe the kick of the kick drum those things threw at you. This was in a HUGE room too. Wow...eventually I wound up with the Studio 60...but I still think I might get a used set of Silver 5i just for that one song.
            or a new A3.5 integrated ?

really you need to take your monitor audio bookshelves into a store with you and run it with the amps they have instore. That way you'll soon know which ones sound you like with your speakers.
            "Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Comment

• BTB
              • Jan 2006

My two choices would be as follows

Budget option: Marantz PM 7200 (not KI version) cost around 300 GBP new (recently discontinued in European market) but may still be available in other markets, depending where you are. The replacement PM 7001 model is specced as a dual mono, 120w (8 ohms) design (i.e, slightly more powerful than the 105wpc PM 7200, but without the 7200's class a mode) and if it sounds anything like the 7200 it will be worth checking out... my two cents... lovely mids and highs, great detail resolution, but a bit lax in low frequencies... maybe not too noticable with booksheves and definitely a safe bet for brighter sounding speakers. Also a bit weak in terms of dynamic reserve, but at this price what you "get" (as in what it does well, it does great) is something special.

Mid price option: Naim Nait 5i costs around 700 GBP. Rated at 50wpc (8 ohms) but sounds alot more powerful than that, iron grip on price compatible speakers, tight, musical delivery with incredible dynamic reserves. Tough to beat for the money IMO.

The Rotel is a very good amp, and is priced between these two, I would definitely check it out but do consider these others and listen if you can, they are superb options considering their relative costs.

Cheers, good luck making your choice.

Comment

• stevo238
                • Apr 2006

Thanks guys for the welcome. I demo'd the Rotel Ra-1062 and fell in love with it. I was thinking more along the lines of the RA-02, though. Rotel is sometimes called "bright sounding" and so too the Monitor Audios because of their metal drivers. Would this be a mismatch or am I overreacting. Regards.

Comment

• jim777
                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by stevo238
                  Thanks guys for the welcome. I demo'd the Rotel Ra-1062 and fell in love with it. I was thinking more along the lines of the RA-02, though. Rotel is sometimes called "bright sounding" and so too the Monitor Audios because of their metal drivers. Would this be a mismatch or am I overreacting. Regards.
                  If it sounds good to you, forget the technical details. The 1062 even sounds good driving big B&W 703's that have a reputation for being harsh. Ok, it was pushing the 1062 to it's limit, but it should be great with your bookshelfs.

Comment

• Nov 2005

HI stevo,
                    Trust your ears. We can't say anything better.

Sparky

Comment

• Ovation
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Sep 2004

If you haven't taken the plunge yet (Rotel make a very good series of integrated amps, so if you have, you've got a nice piece), I recommend auditioning Cambridge Audio. From the 340A to the 840A, they have a range of excellent integrated amps at a number of price points (I don't know your upper limit, but I believe the 840A lists around 1500$). I'm a big fan of their gear (they make some great affordable CD players as well). NAD and Arcam are also among my favourites and would be worth giving a listen.

Comment

• twitch54
                        • Apr 2006

If you are thinking of taming the brightness may I suggest a tube integrated, for the $$$ I like the Jolida 302-B. I'm using one to drive a pair of Totem Arro's and it does so quite well.
                        Dave

Comment

• Alaric
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Jan 2006

My $ .02

My experience with the Marantz PM7200 has been all good-and for $500 or less it is very good. My Paradigm speakers lend themselves to "brightness" by all accounts , but I've not experienced that with the above amp. Very smooth , " analog-sounding amp. I haven't had any shortage of bass , but most of my music doesn't delve into hip-hop frequencies. Positively loves female vocals and horns. It's kind of chunky for it's class , but not bad to look at so I don't mind it taking up a little more room on the shelf. Mine is paired with a Marantz SA8260 SACD player and I'm pretty happy. If you're looking for cables too , Doug can help you find something that compliments your system. Good luck!
                          Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                          Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                          Schiit Modi 3
                          Marantz CD5005
                          Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"