Which is higher quality?? DVD-A or SACD??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chinets
    • Jun 2005

Which is higher quality?? DVD-A or SACD??

Hi Everyone,
    In your opinion what is a better quality of sound DVA-A or SACD???
    Which sounds better?? And what are the subtle differences in your opinion ?And what are the characteristics and signature of both sounds of DVD-A and SACD??? Could you please deatil your experience to me??
    Such as smoothness, crispier, quality etc...
    Thanks,
    Chinets
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

Hi,

I have moved this to the Audio Forum as it is not Rotel Specfic (indeed Rotel don't even support SACD)

Geoff

Comment

• chinets
      • Jun 2005

Thanks Geoff,
      I had no idea that would not fall under the Rotel specifications!!!!!!!! Sorry!!!!!!

Comment

• DifferentLee
        • Apr 2005

I do some pro recording so I have some insights...

1. 24/96 and 24/88.2 which are hirez PCM sound terrific. The newer 24/192 is also good but you have to be careful with filters to get the most out of it.

2. DSD, especially analog to DSD and pure DSD recordings sound terrific as well.

In my listening tests I give a slight edge to DSD over 24/192 which is slightly better than 24/96 and a lot better than 16/44. I view LP, another hirez medium, as being around 24/96 and far better than redbook in most ways but that's a different discussion.

Now as a music buyer I would suggest you buy the titles you want in any of these formats. It may not, however, be smart to invest in a DVD-Audio player given the really low number of titles.

Comment

• bigburner
          Super Senior Member
          • May 2005

Originally posted by DifferentLee
          I view LP, another hirez medium, as being around 24/96 and far better than redbook in most ways but that's a different discussion.
          Are you referring to the compression on CDs?

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2006

I view LP, another hirez medium, as being around 24/96 and far better than redbook in most ways but that's a different discussion.
            Mebbe but, unlike SACD which is fading in some areas or CD which still thrives, there have been so few new LP releases in the past decade that it is a niche for re-releases.

Kal
            Kal Rubinson

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
              • Apr 2005

In my listening tests I give a slight edge to DSD over 24/192 which is slightly better than 24/96 and a lot better than 16/44. I view LP, another hirez medium, as being around 24/96 and far better than redbook in most ways but that's a different discussion.

I could never get LP to measure lower than 60hz
              and never higher than 11K

So I ask:
              Can a medium thats 60 to 11K be Hi-rez?

But there's more; clearly LP sounds awesome, sometimes magical... So maybe that's enough to call it Hi-Rez?

You say LP is "far better" than 16/44.1 Red Book... Far better? Like flat out way better??? Like hands down no contest? Hhhhmmmmmm

So you take your average CD player
              an average preamp/power amp combo

then

You take your average turntable
              with same amp preamp

and what do you get.... Way better? :Z

Comment

• RebelMan
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Andrew M Ward
                So you take your average CD player
                an average preamp/power amp combo

then

You take your average turntable
                with same amp preamp

and what do you get.... Way better? :Z
                :lol: LOL, I hope not. CD's are just toooooo convienient. Besides, I have already been there and done that with vinyl. Next stop high-end "digital media servers"... baby! :B
                "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• Nov 2005

HI Andrew,
                  But we are not talking about average, are we? Instead, let's talk about the best each medium has to offer. Under those rules, the good 'ol high quality LP is simply the best I have heard. Due to improvements in digital technology the shiny disks have become acceptable to me. I never thought I would say that. But they never have defined the state of the art sound in my system. I do have a fine digital playback system. True, I have a great record playing system (not to mention cassette tape which I use quite a bit to save wear and tear on my records). That's what hi fi is all about. What's this average stuff about which you are speaking? Bose is average. Who cares?

I am not forgetting that when I want the most magical home musical experience, I fire up my turntable.

Multichannel? Well, LP's offers no competition. MC is of no interest to me. I think the digital formats in the future will finally put this discussion to rest. How Long? Who knows.

Sparky

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
                    • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Karma
                    HI Andrew,
                    But we are not talking about average, are we? Instead, let's talk about the best each medium has to offer. Under those rules, the good 'ol high quality LP is simply the best I have heard. Due to improvements in digital technology the shiny disks have become acceptable to me. I never thought I would say that. But they never have defined the state of the art sound in my system. I do have a fine digital playback system. True, I have a great record playing system (not to mention cassette tape which I use quite a bit to save wear and tear on my records). That's what hi fi is all about. What's this average stuff about which you are speaking? Bose is average. Who cares?

I am not forgetting that when I want the most magical home musical experience, I fire up my turntable.

Multichannel? Well, LP's offers no competition. MC is of no interest to me. I think the digital formats in the future will finally put this discussion to rest. How Long? Who knows.

Sparky

In that case, then the original 2 inch master tape is really all that matters, everything else is marginal (at best) after that. From now on I'm only listening to original master tapes, that’s it.... Forget it; you can't change my mind... :W

And who said anything about Bose? :roll:

I would never argue that LP ain't fantastic, when set-up properly with very clean vinyl (very clean) it's wonderful.

But, Man I sure like that DCS CD playback system, its breath taking, jaw dropping (even) but I'm sure you've heard it too.

And this is a tired old argument; CD has been the brunt of every pseudo-audiophile argument since 1983... Some relevant observations some simply ridiculous...

But I think we all know, every medium has its strength and its weakness, and all are basically valid, even MP3 (I can't believe I just said that)

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
                      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by RebelMan
                      :lol: LOL, I hope not. CD's are just toooooo convienient. Besides, I have already been there and done that with vinyl. Next stop high-end "digital media servers"... baby! :B

Yes,
                      A true 24/192 audio playback format that stores the tracks as files, has a kick-ass master clock and a fantastic board topology suitable for James Deans discerning ear (that won't be easy)

Has a searchable directory ~ album art ~ liner notes ~ etc.

Am I missing anything?

Oh yeah, and under $500.oo :rofl:

(The above device from a reasonable manufacturer would be about $8000.oo)

Comment

• chinets
                        • Jun 2005

I can't understand what Differentlee is saying. Please!!!! anyone expalin what he said in lay man's terms. All this technical stuff is complicated ,so please may it simple and explain what you said that was very interesting in easy terms. I am very interested in what your insight but couldn't comprehend it!!
                        Thanks,
                        Chinets

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"