X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alpina
    • Nov 2005

Pictures of your racking setup

hi guys,

have noticed how popular the rotel and b&w picture threads have been and was wondering if there was any interest in a racking picture thread.

as we see our system coming together we are quickly realising that we have no idea how do display them. all we know is that it will very heavy and will require lots of ventilation (either natural or force fed in enclosed). we have no idea in respect to shelving individual components or just sitting them one on top of the other, etc. in most likelihood, we will have to have something custom made.

would love to see pictures of what you guys have done.

cheers,

julie
    My setup so far: Pioneer PDP-506HD, Sony DST-HD500, Bryston SP2, Bryston 6B SST, Bryston 4B SST, Pioneer DV-989AViS, CD Player TBC, Belkin PF60, B&W 804s, HTM3S, B&W 705s, B&W ASW750, Logitech Harmony 880
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Ummmm, yeah, okay. Great idea, pulling out picture threads from the equipment-specific areas and making a generalized one here. You can see my equipment racks in the picture thread in the Parasound area for now, and when I have a minute, I'll repost my pics here, too.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• alpina
      • Nov 2005

thanks chris,

been looking at the pictures in the rotel and b&w forums - time to look at the others too

would love to see them altogether though.

julie
      My setup so far: Pioneer PDP-506HD, Sony DST-HD500, Bryston SP2, Bryston 6B SST, Bryston 4B SST, Pioneer DV-989AViS, CD Player TBC, Belkin PF60, B&W 804s, HTM3S, B&W 705s, B&W ASW750, Logitech Harmony 880

Comment

• Glen B
        Super Senior Member
        • Jul 2004

Salamander Synergy system furniture all the way. 2-Channel rack shown with/without lockable door.

Comment

• alpina
          • Nov 2005

UPDATE:

Hi guys,

Still working on the design.

Please see attached 2 options which pretty much show where I'm at atm. Cabinet will butt up against against existing cupboard on right. Plasma has already been mounted in front of where red vase currently sits.

The big cabinet is for crystals with drawers on the bottom shelf. All power etc is behind the drawer so all will be well hidden. Audio gear is to right. Decided to now go with an open design (to ensure ventilation is not an issue). Both units will have a solid top on them. Besides that they will be predominantly glass with with a polyurenthane/hardwood/stone base. Unit will be designed to give the impression that it floats off the floor and will have no door handles.

Option 1 differs from option 2 in the sense that it misses the bottom drawer and av gear starts lower - which do you think looks better?

Bottom drawer beneath crystals can used to hold dvds or perhaps modified to hold some av gear - dvd, stb, surge protector, etc thereby leaving av rack for amps and prepro only - visually could look very good - again, what do you think?

Shelves for av gear will be adjustable and where there are drawers/doors they will have no handles.

Like the gear from www.soundations.com , especially Ritz2 and Limelight2 and hoping to get some ideas to incorporate into my design

Still trying to follow on with a super contemporary unit.

Feedback please?

Cheers,

Julie
          Attached Files

Comment

• RebelMan
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by alpina
            Like the gear from www.soundations.com , especially Ritz2 and Limelight2 and hoping to get some ideas to incorporate into my design

Still trying to follow on with a super contemporary unit.
            I recently bought Soundations La Casa 2 equipment rack. They are VERY heavy and built like a tank. The other preferred brand on my list of AV furniture is from Salamander Designs. Unfortunately, none of their racks would fit into my cubby. But I plan to get the Matteo seats and Synergy media racks.
            "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• grit
              • Jan 2005

I can also vouch for Salamander. Very good stuff. Shelves do NOT sag under weight over time, and it has a clean look to it.

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2005

Yes, the only thing I dont like about mine, are the wood side panels that slide in place rattle under loud bass.
                B&W

Comment

• JKalman
                  • Nov 2005

Originally posted by alpina
                  hi guys,

have noticed how popular the rotel and b&w picture threads have been and was wondering if there was any interest in a racking picture thread.

as we see our system coming together we are quickly realising that we have no idea how do display them. all we know is that it will very heavy and will require lots of ventilation (either natural or force fed in enclosed). we have no idea in respect to shelving individual components or just sitting them one on top of the other, etc. in most likelihood, we will have to have something custom made.

would love to see pictures of what you guys have done.

cheers,

julie
                  I'm using a Salamander Synergy Triple with the 21" base. I don't have the included back on it so I can place it near the front wall and not have to worry about echos. I don't have any of the other options included since they could cause more interference with the sound. I will post a pic when I get a chance to take one.

Comment

• Chris D
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Dec 2000

Okay, I found my Club Parasound thread with a whole bunch of pictures here:

The exciting Halo line by Parasound. But we aren't forgetting Parasound either, with a long list of great amps and other fine products.

Here's my rack. Not a current pic, but I'm going to have some changes anyway in the next month or so, so I'll take more then. These are a few preliminary pictures I've posted before of my rack with my Halo C1, A51 amp, A21 Amp, and matching Parasound Halo rack mount vents.

This is not a current pic of my theater, but shows well both the Salamander Synergy rack and the Salamander Matteo seats that we've been talking about here. Big fan of Salamander.

A backside picture of my C1 pre/pro. All cables are CAT Cables (links available here on HT Guide)

Image not available

A picture of my Halo stack in the dark before rack mounting with the TFT screen off and the MX-700 remote control illuminated in the bottom right corner:

Last edited by theSven; 09 March 2023, 21:30 Thursday. Reason: Update image location
                    CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Chris D
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Dec 2000

More of my pictures from these discussion threads:

Some sample pictures to whet your appetite of my current equipment rack. Theater project is nearing the end. The actual rack, current as of today. Not fully complete, but pretty much so. I chose to go with a horizontal rack to allow the large window above it to remain unobstructed to allow light and airiness into the room when

Show us your Theaters, dedicated or dual purpose! Discuss all phases of construction, custom theater layouts, dimensionality concepts, acoustics, sound spaces, automation, furniture, ambient lighting, and of course refreshments! Also Major system integration issues.

I chose to go with a horizontal rack to allow the large window above it to remain unobstructed to allow light and airiness into the room when I open up the alcove. The rack itself is by Salamander Designs. On the top left of the rack is a Dell laptop. The little item on the top right is actually an RF baby monitor. Hooking it up to the theater, you can check on the baby in the theater as well as distribute the audio and video from the monitor to my all-home A/V system so you can check on her anywhere in the house.

The left bay of the rack. From top to bottom:

Behringer Feedback Destroyer
                      JVC S-VHS VCR (keep it mostly for a clock)
                      Two rows of AudioSource 5.3 mono amplifiers driving Clark Synthesis Tactile Transducers
                      Atlantic Technologies Power Strip
                      Old Kenwood receiver, used as an amplifier for my all-home audio distrubution system

The center bay of the rack. From top to bottom:

Parasound Halo C1 pre-amp/processor
                      Parasound Halo A51 5-channel amplifier
                      Parasound Halo A21 2-channel amplifier
                      inbetween components are Parasound 1u rack mount vents matching the Halo pieces

The right bay of the rack. From top to bottom:

Zenith HS-520 HDTV satellite receiver
                      Denon DVD-3910 universal DVD player
                      Old Kenwood tuner
                      Old Kenwood 5-disc CD changer
                      Old Kenwood twin cassette deck

A larger view of my equipment alcove. It's on the left side of my theater. When finished, it will be enclosed with black curtains. I've wired a Xantech IR distribution system in the walls with the IR receiver on the front screen wall to control the equipment with the curtains closed. The lights and surround speakers you see are about to be enclosed in columns, and then the walls will be covered with acoustical fabric. The seats are Salamander Design Matteo seating.

And now a finished pic of the theater, taken of the right rear theater corner with entrance door.

Last edited by theSven; 09 March 2023, 21:31 Thursday. Reason: Update image location
                      CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• scottielee
                        • Apr 2005

Grand Prix Audio Monaco Base Module

Comment

• alpina
                          • Nov 2005

hi scottie,

that is one awesome, mega $$$ rack

julie

Comment

• scottielee
                            • Apr 2005

thanks julie it was US$1,800 8O

Comment

• alpina
                              • Nov 2005

guys,

getting really close now

what does everyone think of version 3? would love some advice on finer pts.

thanks

julie
                              Attached Files

Comment

• David Meek
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2000

Julie, things are looking good!

To get the proper thickness for the bulkhead go to the farthest point in the room and sit down in a chair or couch. With one of the light fixtures in place, look at the rack and have someone hold a board up. Move it up or down until it completely hides the fixture and place a mark at that point on the rack. That's the minimum thickness you need, as the bulkhead should mask the lighting completely.

At least, in my opinion.

What were you wanting to discuss about the drawers along the bottom?

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• alpina
                                  • Nov 2005

hi david,

thanks for the tip - looking like i'll need about 100mm if i go with low voltage downlights or a little more if i go with a big halogen. do you think the top of the audio rack should be the same as the bulkhead to give symetry? i'm thinking that i might have a flush mounted glass insert cut into the top of the audio rack (ie, polyurenthane top with glass center).

as for drawers .... at the back of the drawer sections are my powerpoints, antennae plug, etc. on right hand side this is going to be my dvd drawer and for obvious reasons it will fall short of the rear wall - i imagine it will pull out like a drawer. on the left, because of the additional components (ie, dvd, stb and media box) i think i need a cupboard door instead but i want it to pull down and recess into unit allowing me the option of either hiding or showing the components - this could be tricky

julie

Comment

• David Meek
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Julie
                                    i want it to pull down and recess into unit allowing me the option of either hiding or showing the components - this could be tricky
                                    What about something like a roll-top desk - but oriented to roll downwards? Also, what are your plans for ventilation for the equipment?

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• alpina
                                      • Nov 2005

hi david,

thats what im thinking also but it has to look real good.

haven't given much thought to ventilation in there as all the hot stuff is outside.

with door open, ventilation should be more than adequate (fingers crossed). currently the dvd, stb and media box are letting off very little heat so not expecting that to change

really appreciate the advice

julie

Comment

• nyny
                                        • Jul 2004

Originally posted by scottielee
                                        Hey Scott,

Nice rack... :T I am so envious.....my freaking system is still at Dave's place. I can't wait to have my gears setup at my new apartment. I will post some pix once I am done with renovation (however, I am not going to use an AV rack this time....I asked my interior designer to find me a large piece of black marble to serve as base for my components).

BTW, I will need your help getting that new Velodyne sub soon, thanks in advance!
                                        Tony

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"