X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • brac
    • Aug 2005

8.1 channel inputs and outputs

OK, I now own real seperates, and couldn't be happier, aside from SQ one of the things that really impresses me, is that 7 channel amp I got is rated at 100 wpc, the receiver I got rid of was also rated at 100wpc. However with the dedicated amp I have more power than I could have imagined... I guess its all about honest specs.

Anyway my question is I am using a dvd player that has "7.1 channel outputs, and my preamp will accept 7.1 channel inputs. Aside from the fact that I would need a pile of interconnects to do this, is there any reason to set it up that way? I would do it and take a listen but I don't have extra interconnects (except junk). Anybody have any thoughts on this?
    Brac
  • Vinny
    • Mar 2006

Besides SACD and DVDA that do 5.1(not 7.1) analog output only, you don't really need them for analog interconnect. Just use one optical or coaxial will do the job and let the preamp decode dolby or DTS
    Pioneer KRP-500M
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Parasound 5125
    Oppo BDP-83
    Klipsch RF-3II, RC-3II, RB-5II
    SVS PB-10NSD

Comment

• Paul H
      • Feb 2004

Originally posted by brac
      OK, I now own real seperates, and couldn't be happier, aside from SQ one of the things that really impresses me, is that 7 channel amp I got is rated at 100 wpc, the receiver I got rid of was also rated at 100wpc. However with the dedicated amp I have more power than I could have imagined... I guess its all about honest specs.

Anyway my question is I am using a dvd player that has "7.1 channel outputs, and my preamp will accept 7.1 channel inputs. Aside from the fact that I would need a pile of interconnects to do this, is there any reason to set it up that way? I would do it and take a listen but I don't have extra interconnects (except junk). Anybody have any thoughts on this?
      Brac
      Somewhere in the chain from DVD player-preamp-amplifier-speakers the digital signals from the DVD disc are converted to analog signals using "DAC's" (digital-to-analog converters). If you use a single cable from the DVD player, like most people do, the DAC's in the preamp or receiver convert the signal to analog. Most DVD players have DAC's built in, and can feed the analog signal to the preamp or receiver, via 5, 6, 7 or 8 cables including subwoofer.

The reason you might want to set your system up with the DVD player feeding 7.1 channels to the amplifier is if the DVD is better (cleaner/clearer, etc) at converting the digital signal to analog than your preamp/receiver.

I'd suggest cobbling together some (cheap or borrowed) cables, and let your ears decide if it's worth buying some better cables or using the DVD player's DAC's at all.

Paul

Comment

• Alloroc
        Super Senior Member
        • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Paul H
        Somewhere in the chain from DVD player-preamp-amplifier-speakers the digital signals from the DVD disc are converted to analog signals using "DAC's" (digital-to-analog converters). If you use a single cable from the DVD player, like most people do, the DAC's in the preamp or receiver convert the signal to analog. Most DVD players have DAC's built in, and can feed the analog signal to the preamp or receiver, via 5, 6, 7 or 8 cables including subwoofer.

The reason you might want to set your system up with the DVD player feeding 7.1 channels to the amplifier is if the DVD is better (cleaner/clearer, etc) at converting the digital signal to analog than your preamp/receiver.

I'd suggest cobbling together some (cheap or borrowed) cables, and let your ears decide if it's worth buying some better cables or using the DVD player's DAC's at all.

Paul
        I use the the DAC on my DVD (Marants DV8400) player instead of my reciever (A Rotel RSX1055). I find the the sound to be, as Paul says cleaner and clearer. The downside being of course the bunch of intercoonects at the back of it all. I think it depends on the over quality of your equipment. It's worth giving it a go. You can always return the interconnects if you're not happy.
        Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

First, I'd ask if your DVD player can play any audio formats that your receiver or pre/pro can NOT decode. If not, then just keep all connects digital, and don't worry about the analog!

Next, I'd ask if you have a 6.1 or 7.1 setup. If not, then at MOST make a 5.1 analog connection.

You'll only need a 7.1 analog connection if you have a 7.1 setup and play formats that are beyond the decoding capability of your receiver or pre/pro.
          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
          - Pleasantville

Comment

• comeup
            • Jul 2005

I would use the decoders on the receiver for movie playback and the Dacs on the dvd player I would use for SACD/DVD AUDIO. I find that most dvd players encluding expensive ones put cheap DD/DTS decoders on the dvd players they know that most of us will use the digital connections. I'm pretty sure that you have a nice preamp that has high end quality decoders and dacs. You could have high end dacs, but cheap decoders on the dvd player. I have a 1500$ dvd player from Denon and a 2500$ preamp from B&K its no way in the world I would use the decoders from the denon for movies. I tryed it and the sound was muffled with expensive cables. The dvd audio and the sacd sound awsome which is the main purpose for the RCA connections. I heard one system that I liked using RCA connections with movies and it was the Macormack MAP-1 that has only analog connections with a high end Arcam dvd player with great DD/DTS decoders that blew me away. Thats what made me try mines at home and it just wasn't the same. Try yours with the cables you have I bet you won't like it. Let your ears be the judge.

P.S.
            If anything else buy some better cables for your dvd audio/sacd.
            Blake

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"