X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gump
    • Sep 2005

CAL Audio Lab Amps

I was reading some reviews on the California Audio Labs MCA-2500 amp. Sounds like a nice amp. I tried to get to their web site with no luck. Are they still in business? If not, what happened? All the reviews were stellar...

I'm a bit skittish about buying an amp (used) when the company is out of business. Might make servicing difficult.
    • Nov 2005

HI Gump,
    OUT OF BUSINESS. Gone, expired, dead. I have a Cal Audio Sigma II tube DAC. Nice piece. No company.

The Sigma tubed converter is probably the best buy on the used market. I don't know anything about their amps. Based upon their CD designs they are probably reasonably good. However, just because they made great DAC's is no reason to assume they also made great amps. These are two very different technologies.

The company was definitely in the high end and had great respect for good sound. As you probably know, Cal Audio pioneered the tube DAC and stayed with the idea throughout their history. It was their calling card and all others who make tube DAC's copied them.

Sparky

Comment

• Gump
      • Sep 2005

Thanks for the reply, Sparky.

Well, that's a bit disappointing. My hopes were raised and dashed in the blink of an eye.

Due to space restrictions, I'm searching for a multi-channel amp that is competent at HT but is also outstanding for 2-channel music which is primarily where I seek my auditory pleasure.

The CAL MCA-2500 seemed to fit the bill perfectly. 500wpc x 5ch. With the ability to shut off 3 of the channels for 2-ch stereo listening. Many other excellent characteristics too.

I could always try to find a pre-owned one for sale, but I'm not sure I want to buy equipment that doesn't have an up and running business to stand behind it.

Too bad. I wonder what happened to those guys that worked there. They seemed like talented hi-fi electronics designers.

Thanks again for the info...

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"