X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sasha99
    • Dec 2010

Sigma SSP vs CP-800

I am a 2 channel guy that wants to get into HT. (Current owner of CP-800) which I am very happy with. Unfortunately it does not decode anything but 2 channels. I wanted to add a processor for HT, from used market that is lagging in some decoding standards, but has a good sound quality and combine it with my CP-800. Enter Sigma - This is the product that covers both sides and it really keeps it simple. (less of cables, less of RC's etc). It was released just in time for my application and needs.
    I had a chance to audition new Sigma SSP last Saturday, at my dealer with new Sigma amp and B&W 804D. The source was apple airplay (wired).
    Both components were brand new, with maybe 20 hours on them (so probably not fully broken in..).

What was noticeable right from a get go is the veil and granular sound – not very good at all, I thought it was the source ( we played high rez files), and after we changed the source to JRiver and sound did not improve, we switched the amp to Cambridge audio amp (do not know the model – regular high current design) and things improved significantly.
    Sigma has a lots of air in mid’s and high’s and it is very transparent. Unfortunately we could not demo it with surround sound, high rez blue ray or so...due to time limitation. Dealer did not have a CP-800 on display, so no direct comparison either..
    Overall, Sigma SSP sounds very good in my opinion.

In order to go for Sigma, I would have to sell my CP-800, which I am reluctant about ....Alternatively I could add an older processor to my existing setup..suggestions are welcome.
    What did you successfully mixed with CP-800? (beside SSP-800 which is to expensive)

Did anybody have a chance to listen Sigma SSP and CP-800 side by side? How did 2 channel playback compare? What are the impressions?

Thanks for everyone’s help.

Sasha
  • TomScrut
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Nov 2013

I think that there will be no doubt that for USB playback etc and for stereo analogue sources the CP will be better. It wouldn't make sense for them to make the Sigma better than the CP.

If you use the bypass function on your CP800 you can basically integrate any processor with it. I used a Marantz AV8801 with mine for a short while and then an Onkyo 818 which is what I have now.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk
    Music: Intel NUC -> Antelope Zodiac Platinum -> Classe CA-2300 -> B&W 802 Diamonds & 2x SVS SB13U

Comment

• Sasha99
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by TomScrut
      I think that there will be no doubt that for USB playback etc and for stereo analogue sources the CP will be better. It wouldn't make sense for them to make the Sigma better than the CP.

If you use the bypass function on your CP800 you can basically integrate any processor with it. I used a Marantz AV8801 with mine for a short while and then an Onkyo 818 which is what I have now.

Thanks Tom, I tried my Marantz receiver (SR5008 ) integrated with CP800 in bypass mode. The sound quality was not that good. Also I had very audible ground loop hum problem, as soon as I insert Marantz into the equation.

Comment

• TomScrut
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Nov 2013

I do too with the Onkyo. The Marantz was fine as it has balanced outputs so if the ground loop is an issue go for a processor with balanced outs. The top Onkyo AVRs this year have stereo balanced outs too.

I presume you have tried overcoming the loop by other methods?

Music: Intel NUC -> Antelope Zodiac Platinum -> Classe CA-2300 -> B&W 802 Diamonds & 2x SVS SB13U

Comment

• Sasha99
          • Dec 2010

I do too with the Onkyo. The Marantz was fine as it has balanced outputs so if the ground loop is an issue go for a processor with balanced outs. The top Onkyo AVRs this year have stereo balanced outs too.

I presume you have tried overcoming the loop by other methods?

I did not try to fix the hum....was not happy with the sound quality, was not worth it..
          I though too, that balanced inputs could solve that issue.

Comment

• TomScrut
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Nov 2013

They will. I tried a quite a few things but it's cheap nasty SMPSs that cause the issue a lot of the time IMO. Things like satellite boxes which end up creating the ground for the AVR which is then different to the ground on the CP. At least thats how I understand it

Comment

• mkbruce
              • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Sasha99
              I am a 2 channel guy that wants to get into HT. (Current owner of CP-800) which I am very happy with. Unfortunately it does not decode anything but 2 channels. I wanted to add a processor for HT, from used market that is lagging in some decoding standards, but has a good sound quality and combine it with my CP-800. Enter Sigma - This is the product that covers both sides and it really keeps it simple. (less of cables, less of RC's etc). It was released just in time for my application and needs.
              I had a chance to audition new Sigma SSP last Saturday, at my dealer with new Sigma amp and B&W 804D. The source was apple airplay (wired).
              Both components were brand new, with maybe 20 hours on them (so probably not fully broken in..).

What was noticeable right from a get go is the veil and granular sound – not very good at all, I thought it was the source ( we played high rez files), and after we changed the source to JRiver and sound did not improve, we switched the amp to Cambridge audio amp (do not know the model – regular high current design) and things improved significantly.
              Sigma has a lots of air in mid’s and high’s and it is very transparent. Unfortunately we could not demo it with surround sound, high rez blue ray or so...due to time limitation. Dealer did not have a CP-800 on display, so no direct comparison either..
              Overall, Sigma SSP sounds very good in my opinion.

In order to go for Sigma, I would have to sell my CP-800, which I am reluctant about ....Alternatively I could add an older processor to my existing setup..suggestions are welcome.
              What did you successfully mixed with CP-800? (beside SSP-800 which is to expensive)

Did anybody have a chance to listen Sigma SSP and CP-800 side by side? How did 2 channel playback compare? What are the impressions?

Thanks for everyone’s help.

Sasha
              I demoed the Sigma SSP against a SSP-800 in my home looking to replace our existing SSP-75.

I found that with 2-channel analog audio the Sigma sounded better than the SSP-800 - more transparent, more detail and just cleaner. The SSP-800 wasn't any different than the SSP-75. The source was a Slim Devices Transporter connected via balanced XLR. All DSP functions in the Sigma were disabled for a true analog bypass. As much as we wanted to like the SSP-800 more, the Sigma beat it hands down - so we bought one. We didn't do any real head-to-head comparison of multi-channel audio.

After about a month of solid use, we couldn't be happier with the Sigma. The first firmware update fixed a few initial annoyances and bugs. The Sigma is an impressive piece of equipment at a quite reasonable price.

Associated equipment
              Classe CA-201 amp (front)
              Classe CAV-75 amp (center/surround)
              Slim Devices Transporter
              Oppo BDP-83 BluRay
              Mirage OM-6 fronts
              Mirage OM-C2 center
              Mirage OM-R2 rear
              Nordost SPM/Red Dawn interconnects
              Nordost Blue Heaven speaker cables

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2006

The Sigma is a much newer design and I would not presume they intended to make it inferior.
                Kal Rubinson

Comment

• TomScrut
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Nov 2013

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
                  The Sigma is a much newer design and I would not presume they intended to make it inferior.
                  I do recall reading somewhere that its internally single ended (the CP is fully balanced throughout) and the same applies to the DAC outputs. That is one reason why it may sound inferior.

I just think that it wouldn't make sense to make it sound better than the CP800. For starters the CP is better than the SSP800 sonically, so that would also by default make the Sigma SSP better sounding than its big brother that costs twice as much money. EDIT: the post above may disprove this theory, does this mean they will be replacing the SSP800 soon?

I kind of hope it is better so I can sell both my AVR and CP800 and go to Sigma SSP but I don't think it will happen.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Mar 2006

I do recall reading somewhere that its internally single ended (the CP is fully balanced throughout) and the same applies to the DAC outputs. That is one reason why it may sound inferior.
                    While that might be a factor, it is not a determining one. The Sigma is a very nice-sounding unit.

I just think that it wouldn't make sense to make it sound better than the CP800. For starters the CP is better than the SSP800 sonically, so that would also by default make the Sigma SSP better sounding than its big brother that costs twice as much money. EDIT: the post above may disprove this theory, does this mean they will be replacing the SSP800 soon?
                    Note that the less expensive (and reduced channel-count) CP came out well after the SSP but based on that experience. Dunno how soon the new SSP is coming but it is planned.
                    Kal Rubinson

Comment

• TomScrut
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Nov 2013

I aren't suggesting it won't sound as good as the CP, I am merely stating I would be surprised if it did! I need to demo one really to see what I think. If it sounds nearly as good as the CP it will still be very good value considering what else it brings to the table

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

• Sasha99
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
                        While that might be a factor, it is not a determining one. The Sigma is a very nice-sounding unit.

Note that the less expensive (and reduced channel-count) CP came out well after the SSP but based on that experience. Dunno how soon the new SSP is coming but it is planned.
                        Kal
                        Is Sigma SSP review in your plans anytime soon?
                        Thanks
                        Sasha

Comment

• TomScrut
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Nov 2013

Kal
                          Thanks
                          Sasha
                          Good question, despite being in the UK I do subscribe to Stereophile

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Mar 2006

Working on it now.
                            Kal Rubinson

Comment

• aarsoe
                              • May 2004

First and foremost I think that you need to compare apples to apples - ie you need to check if analogue pass through is enabled or not on the units you compare. The SSP-800 sounds terrible in my opinion if you convert to digital from a good analogue source.
                              That could be what you experienced on the Sigma. Check that your SSP-800 is in pure analogue mode.
                              The new digital power amps are only quoted for 20hz-20Khz and not wide bandwith like more regular amps - hence the Sigma sounding better on a new power amp.
                              If I where you, I would keep my CP-800 and get a Marantz processor. They are relatively cheap and offer all the new stuff and can be upgraded 5 times before you reach the cost of an SSP-800...

Comment

• TomScrut
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Nov 2013

I agree aarsoe, the 7702 looks a bit of a bargain, and if this isn't good enough then get the 8802 instead. I had the 8801 and only sold it to help fund my CP800. Although if 4K etc is important to you maybe best waiting until everything stabilizes with HDCP 2.2.

Comment

• aarsoe
                                  • May 2004

Honestly believe the SSP "way" by keeping hands off the video signal is the right one to go. Much cheaper to run audio and video on separate channels and then get the next version of the future HDMI switcher for USD 50 instead of paying XXXX for that functionality. This way you don't need to care about 4K or 8K compatibility..

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"