Is paying more than $200 for a CD player a watse of money?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GregLett
    • May 2005

Is paying more than $200 for a CD player a watse of money?

This is a spin off from the
    "Are expensive wires and interconnects necessary" thread started by comeup.

OK. Let's her your toughts
    Greg
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Threads where someone is basically 'trolling', will be be monitored VERY closely.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Alaric
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Jan 2006

No , but you expected that from me , right? I have heard some low priced CD players that sounded pretty good , but I haven't heard one (with obvious caveat for not hearing them all ) that I like for less than I paid-and several for more than I paid .I readily admit I don't know everything , but I know what I like-and I like beer....waitaminnit , were we talking about beer? No? What? Oh , CD players.....For $200 I'm open to suggestions , and at that price may even buy one to do an A/B. I'll even listen before the beer.
      Given my track record I'm not sure the moderators will (or should) let this post stay up.
      Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
      Marantz PM-KI Pearl
      Schiit Modi 3
      Marantz CD5005
      Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• GregLett
        • May 2005

If someone out there can suggest a $200 CD player that would sound as good or better than my $700 player, I would love to know what it is. I'm all for saving $$$.
        Greg

Comment

• DrJRapp
          Super Senior Member
          • Apr 2003

Originally posted by GregLett
          This is a spin off from the
          "Are expensive wires and interconnects necessary" thread started by comeup.

OK. Let's her your toughts
          If you listen with a $200 receiver thru a pair of overpriced Bose speakers you probably will never hear the difference.

On the other hand, my ML Summits thru high end amps are very revealing of the deficiencies of equipment in the chain. I recently purchased and rapidly disposed of a $1K Jolida CD player that sounded just awful next to my $2K Shanling CDT100 C.
          Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• Alaric
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Jan 2006

I'm gonna hate myself...

DrJ , could it be a compatability issue , or just superior speakers allowing flawed reproduction to be more audible? I ask because this is as close to a pair of MLs as I'm likely to get for a while!
            Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
            Marantz PM-KI Pearl
            Schiit Modi 3
            Marantz CD5005
            Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• GregLett
              • May 2005

Originally posted by DrJRapp
              If you listen with a $200 receiver thru a pair of overpriced Bose speakers you probably will never hear the difference.

On the other hand, my ML Summits thru high end amps are very revealing of the deficiencies of equipment in the chain. I recently purchased and rapidly disposed of a $1K Jolida CD player that sounded just awful next to my $2K Shanling CDT100 C.
              Good point Jerry. I have the Jolida, and it is far better then the Rotel that I had. One thing I did notice though.. when I had all rotel preamp and A Rega player, putting the Rega against the 1072, the Rega lost. When I switch my pre the Rotel sounded very thin, that's when I purchased the Jolida, and that was much better. Looks like component matching is at work here.

I'm very interested in hearing the Shanling, and also the MF A5. I think my
              speakers (B&W XT4's) would allow me to hear the difference. But first I'm getting new amps
              Greg

Comment

• Alloroc
                Super Senior Member
                • Dec 2005

Ok, here we go. A new home for this discussion. Makes sense to me.

I own an Esoteric X-03. I bought it in Japan 9 months ago (half the price there than over here). It is simply stunning and in my setup there is, as you might expect, a phenomenal different in sound quality with between it and my last CD player.

Here's my upgrade path over the last 15 years or so.

Pioneer PD-4700(my very first separate purchase), Marantz CD63, Marantz CD-17, Marantz CD-17KI Signature, Copland CDA822 and finally my new Esoteric X-03. I still possess them all. I'm a hifi hoarder (drives my wife nuts).

Each and every player presented significant improvement; well the CD17 to the CD-17KI was subtle, but still, noticeable nonetheless.

Obviously, the rest of my equipment has changed over the years but, today given the debate over at the other thread Greg referenced, I wanted to experiment. And, using my wife as a critic (and, boy is she! :roll: ) she was able to confirm, that yes each player sounded very different and as each player was changed, in the order outlined above, the quality improved, dramatically. Now I do appreciate that I was not comparing a current model €200 player with my more expensive players but I do think my little experiment was worthwhile, nostalgic and a lot of fun, for me anyhow.

You'd be amazed at how the technology has progressed over the years. Even between the Copland and the X-03, or to put a cost indicator on it, a €3000 player and an €8000(western price) player.

I know some out there think I'm plain nuts/stupid/gullible or filthy rich and nuts/stupid/gullible. I'm not. I'm a hard worker, a good saver and I l

I usually make one significant upgrade purchase every two years or so. It's always well researched and I will not part with my money unless I'm completely satisfied. I will admit however, that the X-03 was kind of an impulse buy, but given I was in Japan, in a HiFi store with a sale on and purchased the X-03 for €3800 (list there is €4500! here it's, as already mentioned, about €8000). Incidentally, I also bought a Koetsu Rosewood Signature cartridge for a song on that trip, but that's for as different thread.

Right, there you have it. My CD player history. Is there a difference. Sure. Is it worth it? For me, absolutely!

V.
                Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• DrJRapp
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Apr 2003

Originally posted by GregLett
                  I'm very interested in hearing the Shanling, and also the MF A5. I think my
                  speakers (B&W XT4's) would allow me to hear the difference. But first I'm getting new amps
                  There wasn't a compatibilty issue. By itself or in comparison to a low end CD player like the Rotel 1072 the Jody may seem like an improvement ....that is until you hear a true audiophile grade player like the Shanling. The Jolida has a somewhat heavy bottom end that the XTs just don't need. THe midrange clarity and top end extension of the Shanling makes the Jolida seem like it came from Wallmart. There are others that seem to agree.

You will DEFINITY hear a REMARKABLE difference with the XTs. I've run both with the XTs. Currently I run the Shanling directly into the Ref9s then to the XTs without a pre, as the Shanling has built in volume control. The Shanling and XT match in fit and finish an make an incredibly sexy looking couple...besides sounding great.

The one to watch for value is the Cambridge Audio line. Their Azur 640CD v2 ($599 MSRP)chews up the Jody and spits her out, and there are rumors of a true audiophile grade player on the way.
                  Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• comeup
                    • Jul 2005

I have a HK FL 8380 199$ in my bedroom and it sounds pretty good but definitely not as good as my Rotel RCD 1070 699$ cd player that replaced it in my two channel setup. In my HT setup I have a Denon 3910 dvd player 1299$ and it sounds better than the Rotel when its in a two channel setup I was surprised that a dvd player could sound as good as good cd player, but it does. I had a Marantz cd 2000 a couple years ago and it was pretty darn good for 250$ but not quite as good as the Rotel but better than the HK. I don't know what the dollar amount cut off point would be for a cd player, but they do have different sounds. The HK had a muffled sound kinda like the way the dolby button does a cassette.
                    Blake

Comment

• GregLett
                      • May 2005

There wasn't a compatibilty issue. By itself or in comparison to a low end CD player like the Rotel 1072 the Jody may seem like an improvement ....that is until you hear a true audiophile grade player like the Shanling. The Jolida has a somewhat heavy bottom end that the XTs just don't need. THe midrange clarity and top end extension of the Shanling makes the Jolida seem like it came from Wallmart. There are others that seem to agree.

You will DEFINITY hear a REMARKABLE difference with the XTs. I've run both with the XTs. Currently I run the Shanling directly into the Ref9s then to the XTs without a pre, as the Shanling has built in volume control. The Shanling and XT match in fit and finish an make an incredibly sexy looking couple...besides sounding great.

The one to watch for value is the Cambridge Audio line. Their Azur 640CD v2 ($599 MSRP)chews up the Jody and spits her out, and there are rumors of a true audiophile grade player on the way.

Now my mouth is watering Once I get the amps, that Canbridge may be the next thing to try. The Shanling was always a CD player I admired, but never picked up.
                      Greg

Comment

• PewterTA
                        • Nov 2004

The Azur 640c definitely gets my vote, best CD player I've heard under 1,500. Plus you can easily get it for around $400, so that's a great deal (IMHO).
                        Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                        -Dan

Comment

• Chris D
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Dec 2000

Now you guys REALLY have my attention... possible CD players for me to add to my equipment stack... any of these have balanced outputs? How about a brushed metal finish? Standard-equipment size, or mini?
                          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                          - Pleasantville

Comment

• Alloroc
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Chris Dotur
                            Now you guys REALLY have my attention... possible CD players for me to add to my equipment stack... any of these have balanced outputs? How about a brushed metal finish? Standard-equipment size, or mini?
                            What's your price point, Chris? My old Copland has balanced outputs and work really well. A buddy has a Primare CD31 and it also has balanced outputs, and is a really nice player to boot. Both have brushed metal finishes in black or silver....

Vincent.

Comment

• Chris D
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Dec 2000

I suppose I might be able to go up to $500. Would really be looking to add CD capability to a nice office system I'm thinking about getting. Either a Parasound P3 preamp with A23 amp and T3 tuner, or Parasound Z-Custom series components (Zpre2, Zamp v.3, Ztuner, etc) www.parasound.com That's why I ask about brushed aluminum and half-rack size.
                              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Alloroc
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Dec 2005

I suppose I might be able to go up to $500. Would really be looking to add CD capability to a nice office system I'm thinking about getting. Either a Parasound P3 preamp with A23 amp and T3 tuner, or Parasound Z-Custom series components (Zpre2, Zamp v.3, Ztuner, etc) www.parasound.com That's why I ask about brushed aluminum and half-rack size.

I've no experience with Parasound as it's not available in my market.

I'd have to concur with PewterTA tho', the Azur 640c is probably the best CD player in your price bracket, but it's not balanced, half rack size or brushed alu!. As a matter of fact, does anyone know what is the cheapest CDp with balanced outputs?
                                Vincent.

Comment

• H.T.C
                                  • Nov 2003

The cambridge audio player for $600.00 or (about) does have the meridian lossless data processing chip that might enhance the sound quality.
                                  Robert

Comment

• Chris D
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Dec 2000

Vincent, tell you what, if you buy the plane ticket and the Parasound equipment, I would be MORE than happy to hand-deliver it straight to your house. Man, I love Ireland, and have had a good time there. Can't wait until the next time I get to go back.

I'll check out the Cambridge Audio player and others. Wouldn't have to be balanced; just thought that might be nice.

Following the link for Copland, it looks like they don't have any distributors in the USA. ???
                                    CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Alloroc
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Dec 2005

Vincent, tell you what, if you buy the plane ticket and the Parasound equipment, I would be MORE than happy to hand-deliver it straight to your house. Man, I love Ireland, and have had a good time there. Can't wait until the next time I get to go back.

I'll check out the Cambridge Audio player and others. Wouldn't have to be balanced; just thought that might be nice.

Following the link for Copland, it looks like they don't have any distributors in the USA. ???
                                      Was thinking of other players in and around that price bracket that are popular over here.....

Cyrus CD6 - half size, brushed alu, upgradeable, bit pricey.

Rega Apollo - hearing great things about that deck

NADCD542 - It's a NAD. It sounds good. a Buddy has one.

Arcam DiVA CD73 - Great pedegree

Finally, the Inca Design Katana - my pick of the bunch. Again a bit pricey, but build and looks are great and sound is top notch. I only remembered that I heard it at my local dealer a while back and was floored when I heard the price.... roughly $750. Don't think they're available in the US yet, but what the heck! The bonus? Compact, brushed alu and balanced outputs!
                                      Vincent.

Comment

• dyazdani
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Oct 2005

You could pick up an older CAL CL-15 for around $5-600 I think. They do have a balanced version, but you have to be specific as the standard model is not.

I would steer towards some of the other suggestions though (Cambridge, Rega, Arcam) IMHO.
                                        Danish

Comment

• GregLett
                                          • May 2005

This is what I get for starting this, my head is spinning. You guys have pointed out so many choices, in 500 to 1K price range, I've got to have listen. The Azur 640CD v2 looks like a good place to start. I think I can get one on AGON. for a song
                                          Greg

Comment

• DrJRapp
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Apr 2003

Greg

If you are going used, there is nothing wrong with the v1 either...just the v2 is better.
                                            Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• peterS
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Dec 2005

Originally posted by comeup
                                              my Rotel RCD 1070 699$ cd player that replaced it in my two channel setup. In my HT setup I have a Denon 3910 dvd player 1299$ and it sounds better than the Rotel when its in a two channel setup I was surprised that a dvd player could sound as good as good cd player, but it does.
                                              a big times 2 on that :T

Comment

• GregLett
                                                • May 2005

Greg

If you are going used, there is nothing wrong with the v1 either...just the v2 is better.
                                                So far.. I've agree with your thoughts on the equipment that we both have. So i'm really tempted to buy this on your recommendation alone
                                                Greg

Comment

• Chris D
                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                  • Dec 2000

Ditto... I've started to search. Hey, there's actually an older Parasound CD player with a "belt design" and balanced outputs for sale. The CDP 2000 model---wonder if it's any good.
                                                  CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
                                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                  Search Result for "|||"