Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• dknightd
      • Mar 2006

Originally posted by bigburner
      Lou Reed - "Rock N Roll Animal"

This album brings back so many memories...
      That might be the best live rock'n'roll album ever made.

I have not been able to find a good copy on CD, so,
      I usually play the LP when I want to hear it.

How do you think your CD sounds? If it is any
      good can you post the label and catalog number?
      (I already have two of them, but am wiling to try
      one more before I resort to reipping the LP)

Comment

• bigburner
        Super Senior Member
        • May 2005

Originally posted by dknightd
        That might be the best live rock'n'roll album ever made.

I have not been able to find a good copy on CD, so,
        I usually play the LP when I want to hear it.

How do you think your CD sounds? If it is any
        good can you post the label and catalog number?
        (I already have two of them, but am wiling to try
        one more before I resort to reipping the LP)
        I agree that it's one of the best live rock'n'roll albums ever made. There was a thread a while ago that discussed this topic.

The CD sounds just fine to me, but then again I don't have the vinyl with which to compare it.

RCA Record Corp, made in Germany, ND83664. Is that different to yours?

Comment

• dknightd
          • Mar 2006

I've got the German RCA PD83664 - which I assume is the same as yours (maybe your N was a typo?)
          I've also got an Italian one RCA/BMG 74321 858682 (which might be a little better than the German one)
          Neither one is as good as the original RCA LP. The DtoA conversion on the German one is not very good (I think this was my first CD - purchased even before I had a CD player). The Italian one seems to have digital clipping in the last song, but otherwise is pretty good. Maybe I'll try to rip my LP - but it has clicks and pops. . .

Comment

• Gene Simmons
            • Sep 2004

The LP I just finished spinning is The Sisters of Mercy - First and Last and Always.
            "Marian (Version)" is a great song if anyone wants to give them a listen.

Next up is Portishead - Dummy

Comment

• bigburner
              Super Senior Member
              • May 2005

Eric Burdon - "Soul of a Man"
              Attached Files

Comment

• bigburner
                Super Senior Member
                • May 2005

"Come on Feel the Illinoise" by Sufjan Stevens
                Attached Files

Comment

• Gene Simmons
                  • Sep 2004

Glass Tiger - Best of the Best. "Animal Heart" is a killer!

Comment

• Thelonious Funk
                    • Dec 2006

"Come on Feel the Illinoise" by Sufjan Stevens
                    How'd you like the Sufjan?

I can't say enough about him myself, as my posts reflect, but I'm a sucker.

Right now I am listening to the Virgin island Suite by Duke Ellington and his big ass, perfect, and totally awesome band.
                    Hello, my name is Eric and I am a music addict.

Comment

• bigburner
                      Super Senior Member
                      • May 2005

Originally posted by Thelonious Funk
                      How'd you like the Sufjan?

I can't say enough about him myself, as my posts reflect, but I'm a sucker.
                      Last night was the third time I've listened to this album. I really enjoyed it. I want more Sufjan.

Comment

• Thelonious Funk
                        • Dec 2006

Last night was the third time I've listened to this album. I really enjoyed it. I want more Sufjan.
                        My favorite of the moment is Seven Swans. It isn't as orchestral as Michigan or Illinoise but it has it's own strong points all the same. I'm really happy to hear you enjoyed him though.

Know anything similar you would like to recommend?

Comment

• JonMarsh
                          Mad Max Moderator
                          • Aug 2000

Something for Stanley Clarke Fans

I've always been disappointed with the CD releases of School days or the sound quality of collections from SC that had School Days on it, in comparison to the original vinyl from the mid to late 70's.

Enter Stanley Clarke "the Bass-Ic Collection"

well, that's finally been solved with the release of this collection overseen by Clarke himself; this is the closest by far I've heard to the dynamics, frequency response, and general transparency and aliveness compared with original vinyl. Many cuts from different stages in his career. And my comments about the audio quality hold true on playback equipment as diverse as a Marantz SA-11S to the direct audio outputs of an Apple iMac G5. OTOH, more budget CD players (say in the sub $500 range) may well be a bit strained and coarse sounding- this was the case with a Marantz CD5400 I also tried with this disk.

Recommended if you're a Stanley Clarke fan, particularly of his more over the top fusion work. :T
                          the AudioWorx
                          Natalie P
                          M8ta
                          Modula Neo DCC
                          Modula MT XE
                          Modula Xtreme
                          Isiris
                          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                          Minerva Monitor
                          Calliope
                          Ardent D

In Development...
                          Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                          Obi-Wan
                          Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                          Modula PWB
                          Calliope CC Supreme
                          Natalie P Ultra
                          Natalie P Supreme
                          Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                          Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• 8thDwarf
                            • Feb 2005

'Shout out' to Allroc'...

...the "Avalanche" is my fav so far...inc all 3 versions of "Chicago".
                            While diggin' the Sufjan "Illinoise" Allroc turned me onto "Avalanche" billed as outtakes and extras from "Illinoise" I ordered up a copy of that and "Michigan" and must say they make a great addition.
                            "It has groove therefore it is music" Deeply enjoying Earlies/Enemy Chorus and These Where The Earlies...out on a limb to say if you like Zero 7 which I do big time.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Thelonious Funk
                              • Dec 2006

Sonny Rollins
                              Saxophone Colossus

If you haven't introduced yourself to Mr. Rollins, allow me. Mr. Rollins, meet this person, this person, meet one of the greatest jazz musicians ever to pick up an instument and blow.

Now mingle. Max Roach is over there with Doug Watkins. You'll like them.

Comment

• David Meek
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2000

Nazareth - Hair Of The Dog

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Thelonious Funk
                                  • Dec 2006

Savoy Brown - Raw Sienna

Having never done heroin all I can say about it comes from this album (and a Happiness is a Warm Gun)

When you're married to H, you're married for life.

That's what the man says, in his bluesy rock kinda way.

Comment

• bigburner
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • May 2005

Sonny Rollins
                                    Saxophone Colossus

If you haven't introduced yourself to Mr. Rollins, allow me. Mr. Rollins, meet this person, this person, meet one of the greatest jazz musicians ever to pick up an instument and blow.

Now mingle. Max Roach is over there with Doug Watkins. You'll like them.
                                    It's been 20 years since I played my Sonny Rollins "The Cutting Edge" album (on vinyl) so it's time I gave it a spin! Thanks Eric.

This album was recorded at the Montreux Jazz Festival in 1974.

Comment

• bigburner
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • May 2005

My favorite of the moment is Seven Swans. It isn't as orchestral as Michigan or Illinoise but it has it's own strong points all the same. I'm really happy to hear you enjoyed him though.

Know anything similar you would like to recommend?
                                      "Frozen Orange" by David Kilgour perhaps (music is so subjective). David is a local boy here in Godzone.
                                      Attached Files

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                                        • Sep 2001

Vivaldi Trio Sonatas op. 1 played by Sonnerie (an instrumental quartet specializing in baroque music) on the CPO/WDR label.

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• bigburner
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • May 2005

"Continuum" by John Mayer
                                          Attached Files

Comment

• Thelonious Funk
                                            • Dec 2006

A Ghost is Born
                                            Wilco

They have a new cd coming out in May. I'm very happy.

Comment

• Thelonious Funk
                                              • Dec 2006

So I'm sitting here, listening to Frank Black's Black Letter Days and reading some reviews on a few sites.

Critics... even though each and everyone of us is one, are idiots.

Frank Black was Black Francis, leader of the Pixies. He broke up the band and went solo to moderate success, but the critics tear him apart. He isn't writing Pixies songs anymore.

So what? He isn't in the Pixies! (Well he is and he isn't, as they have recently done a reunion tour.)

He's changed. He writes more alt country sounding songs than he used to. He evolved, for better or for worse but the critics, for all I can see, focus soley on the fact that this doesn't sound like the Pixies.

Rage. Like flames licking the sides of my face.

I don't like a few FB cd's. But this one I love. It's a good mix of songs with highlights like the mostly acoustic Farewell Bend, the steel guitar intro on End of Miles is great, Cold Heart of Stone is a perfect lovers lament (if a little bitter.)

There are GREAT songs on this cd. There are some not so great songs as well. He may be the perfect mixed tape artist, as I could put together a CD of 15 beautiful tunes.

If you haven't had the chance to check out Frank Black, I suggest you start with this record, or Dog In The Sand. He's never perfect all they way through, but when he gets it right, you'll never grow tired of it.

Comment

• jmb
                                                • Feb 2006

TRIUMVIRAT-SPARTACUS

Still a good listen, always prefered them to ELP. (most of thier material anyways)
                                                "I'd rather attempt to do something great and fail......than attempt to do nothing and succeed."

Comment

• bigburner
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • May 2005

So I'm sitting here, listening to Frank Black's Black Letter Days and reading some reviews on a few sites.

Critics... even though each and everyone of us is one, are idiots.

Frank Black was Black Francis, leader of the Pixies. He broke up the band and went solo to moderate success, but the critics tear him apart. He isn't writing Pixies songs anymore.

So what? He isn't in the Pixies! (Well he is and he isn't, as they have recently done a reunion tour.)

He's changed. He writes more alt country sounding songs than he used to. He evolved, for better or for worse but the critics, for all I can see, focus soley on the fact that this doesn't sound like the Pixies.

Rage. Like flames licking the sides of my face.

I don't like a few FB cd's. But this one I love. It's a good mix of songs with highlights like the mostly acoustic Farewell Bend, the steel guitar intro on End of Miles is great, Cold Heart of Stone is a perfect lovers lament (if a little bitter.)

There are GREAT songs on this cd. There are some not so great songs as well. He may be the perfect mixed tape artist, as I could put together a CD of 15 beautiful tunes.

If you haven't had the chance to check out Frank Black, I suggest you start with this record, or Dog In The Sand. He's never perfect all they way through, but when he gets it right, you'll never grow tired of it.
                                                  Eric, have you watched the DVD "The Pixies - Sell Out (2004)"? I saw it at a friend's place a few months ago and I couldn't get into it at all. Is it my imagination or is the woman who plays bass a worse bass player than me (I don't play guitar)? It just seemed like amateur hour to me. Should I give them another go?
                                                  Attached Files

Comment

• Thelonious Funk
                                                    • Dec 2006

Eric, have you watched the DVD "The Pixies - Sell Out (2004)"? I saw it at a friend's place a few months ago and I couldn't get into it at all. Is it my imagination or is the woman who plays bass a worse bass player than me (I don't play guitar)? It just seemed like amateur hour to me. Should I give them another go?

Kim Deal is not a great bass player. Functional at best. The Pixies aren't for everyone. They were for me when I was 14 and angry, so I will always have a palce in my heart for them.

You should check out Frank Black though, as it's a different kind of band altogether. Like I said in the previous post, Black Letter Days or Dog In The Sand are good places to start... Honeycomb would be another, as it was recorded in Nashville with some pretty famous session players and so therefore the musicianship is top notch. You won't have to worry about that bassist.

Comment

• bigburner
                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                      • May 2005

Buddy Guy & Junior Wells Play The Blues
                                                      Attached Files

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                        Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                                                        • Jan 2006

Currently: The Dave Brubeck Quartet - Take Five
                                                        Columbia label, digitally remastered

Eugene Wright on bass - one of the greatest standup bass players IMHO.

The most famous track, ‘Take Five’ was actually made as showcase solo piece for drummer Joe Morello. The cut version made for radio play which does not include the solo, is what most know as ‘Take Five’. If you have never heard the uncut version, I recommend you search it out and ‘Take a Listen’.

It was Dave's compositions in 5/4, 9/8 and other unusual and difficult time signatures that gives his music its unique sound and rhythm.

Next up: Marian McPartland & Friends - 5 Candles, Live in New York
                                                        Last edited by wkhanna; 05 February 2007, 09:57 Monday.
                                                        _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                                                        ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• jmb
                                                          • Feb 2006

TRAPEZE-MEDUSA

Fantastic classic rock album
                                                          "I'd rather attempt to do something great and fail......than attempt to do nothing and succeed."

Comment

• deke
                                                            • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Gene Simmons
                                                            The LP I just finished spinning is The Sisters of Mercy - First and Last and Always.
                                                            "Marian (Version)" is a great song if anyone wants to give them a listen.

Next up is Portishead - Dummy
                                                            Haven't listed to "First and Last and Always" since about 1984... I second the recommendation.

Comment

• bigburner
                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                              • May 2005

Shuggie Otis - "Inspiration Information"

Quite different to Shuggie's Boogie which Thelonious Funk put me onto.
                                                              Attached Files

Comment

• peterS
                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                • Dec 2005

was recommended as a hdcd in rotel forum

found it in sacd and think its one of the best sacd recordings ive ever heard from a sq standpoint

Comment

• Thelonious Funk
                                                                  • Dec 2006

Friday Night In San Fransico is a great record. Should be a standard issue for anyone who loves listening to music or playing it

Comment

• Alloroc
                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                    • Dec 2005

Originally posted by 8thDwarf
                                                                    ...the "Avalanche" is my fav so far...inc all 3 versions of "Chicago".
                                                                    While diggin' the Sufjan "Illinoise" Allroc turned me onto "Avalanche" billed as outtakes and extras from "Illinoise" I ordered up a copy of that and "Michigan" and must say they make a great addition.
                                                                    "It has groove therefore it is music" Deeply enjoying Earlies/Enemy Chorus and These Where The Earlies...out on a limb to say if you like Zero 7 which I do big time.
                                                                    Yeah, Avalanche is a great album. I still can't keep Illinoise off tho'. Particularly the last 6 tracks or so. Seven Swans is interesting also. I love 'Holland' on Michigan. In another post I make reference to his Christmas releae - a five CD box set. It was really nice to have some 'different' christmas music but is was still very much in the spirit of the season.

Zero 7 are damn funky, albeit like Air but no harm there.
                                                                    Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• Alloroc
                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                      • Dec 2005

A Ghost is Born
                                                                      Wilco

They have a new cd coming out in May. I'm very happy.
                                                                      Mr Funk,

Like the tee shirt! My fav. drink. (well it would be)

Anyhow, Wilco - Yep looking forward to the summer - Sky Blue Sky and due May. A.M is another permenant disc in my car's multichanger....
                                                                      Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• bigburner
                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                        • May 2005

Martin Scorsese Presents The Blues: Allman Brothers

This is a collection of the Allman Brothers Band's best blues material.

1. Trouble No More
                                                                        2. Done Somebody Wrong (Live)
                                                                        3. Stormy Monday (Live)
                                                                        4. Can't Lose What You Never Had
                                                                        5. Statesboro Blues (Live)
                                                                        6. One Way Out (Live)
                                                                        7. Hoochie Coochie Man
                                                                        8. I'm Gonna Move To The Outskirts Of Town (Live)
                                                                        9. Dimples (Live)
                                                                        10. Need Your Love So Bad
                                                                        11. You Don't Love Me (Live)
                                                                        Attached Files

Comment

• bigburner
                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                          • May 2005
                                                                          • 2649

Al Kooper - "Black Coffee"
                                                                          Attached Files

Comment

• Thelonious Funk
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Dec 2006
                                                                            • 357

Al Kooper - "Black Coffee"
                                                                            And????

Comment

• r100gs
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • May 2005
                                                                              • 321

Hey Guys, Thanks for the heads up on Robin Trower "another days blues." Excellent I must say!
                                                                              Jay

Comment

• Thelonious Funk
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Dec 2006
                                                                                • 357

Originally posted by r100gs
                                                                                Hey Guys, Thanks for the heads up on Robin Trower "another days blues." Excellent I must say!
                                                                                I second that emotion.

Just got Bridge of Sighs a few days ago and I've ordered more. Awesome.

Comment

• Thelonious Funk
                                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                                  • Dec 2006
                                                                                  • 357

Root Down... Jimmy Smith... More like a rock concert than a jazz show... and I love it. It's a dirty, secret love, and I shouldn't elucidate any further.
                                                                                  :nuke:

And I just found that emoticon and I have to say... No, I don't have to say it.

Comment

• Thelonious Funk
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Dec 2006
                                                                                    • 357

Medeski Martin and Wood.... Combustication

If you like Jimmy Smith, this is a progressive next step. By this album they've already proved their chops, so it's a little more experimental. DJ Logic is featured on the album.

If you want a CD of straight ahead trio jazz... go with Tonic. Great CD. Best cover of Hey Joe I've heard.

Comment

• David Meek
                                                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                      • Aug 2000
                                                                                      • 8938

I second that emotion.

That is the seminal Robin Trower disc. His genius with a guitar, James Dewar's unforgettable voice, some fine writing and quite a talented group behind them made for some magic on this album.
                                                                                      .

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• bigburner
                                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                                        • May 2005
                                                                                        • 2649

And????
                                                                                        And... if you thought that Booker T did "Green Onions" well you ain't heard nothin' yet. I bought this album because I heard that version of Green Onions at a party and was blown away. I've had the album for over a year and yesterday was the third time that I've listened to it. All this talk about Super Session made me get it out again. The album is a mix of new and old, mellow and up-tempo. Will I pull it out again? Yup.

Comment

• Thelonious Funk
                                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                                          • Dec 2006
                                                                                          • 357

And... if you thought that Booker T did "Green Onions" well you ain't heard nothin' yet. I bought this album because I heard that version of Green Onions at a party and was blown away. I've had the album for over a year and yesterday was the third time that I've listened to it. All this talk about Super Session made me get it out again. The album is a mix of new and old, mellow and up-tempo. Will I pull it out again? Yup.

Hooray! I ordered that one too.

Now... have you heard the Root Down record I keep hounding Bluespower to listen to?

Comment

• bigburner
                                                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                                                            • May 2005
                                                                                            • 2649

I hope 'more' includes the "Living Out Of Time" CD and/or DVD. It starts well with "Too Rolling Stoned" and just gets better and better. I bought the DVD and was given the CD. I'd buy the DVD and just turn the screen off if you want audio only.

I don't know too many gals who like Robin. He's quite full on.
                                                                                            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"