X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bigburner
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2005

Patti Smith - "Banga" (2012)

I don't warm to Patti Smith as a human being but my goodness she has produced a good album this time.

It's not often that I forego my evening music DVD but for two nights in a row I have listened to this CD sitting in the sweet spot, with the volume turned up, in a darkened room, with my eyes closed, and soaked it all up.

Nigel.
    Attached Files

Comment

• madmac
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2010

Originally posted by bigburner
      Patti Smith - "Banga" (2012)

I don't warm to Patti Smith as a human being but my goodness she has produced a good album this time.

It's not often that I forego my evening music DVD but for two nights in a row I have listened to this CD sitting in the sweet spot, with the volume turned up, in a darkened room, with my eyes closed, and soaked it all up.

Nigel.
      I'm curious why you "don't warm to" her as a human being ??. Why ??. Is there something I don't know about her?. Also, how would you rate the recording sound wise?.
      Dan Madden :T

Comment

• peterr77
        • Jul 2012

Love In The Time of Cholera
        centplay.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, centplay.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!
        Last edited by peterr77; 19 September 2012, 21:00 Wednesday.

Comment

• bigburner
          Super Senior Member
          • May 2005

Originally posted by madmac
          I'm curious why you "don't warm to" her as a human being ??. Why ??. Is there something I don't know about her?. Also, how would you rate the recording sound wise?.
          When I watch her she gives me the impression that she is caught up in her own wonderfulness. I don't know her so I could be completely wrong. What I do know is that I don't like the way she swigs from a water bottle on stage and spits it out. I'm an old fashioned bloke who doesn't like women to behave that way. Well actually I don't like anyone behaving that way.

Trivial and a bit pathetic I know.

The recording sounds great to me, so good you'd go and buy the CD to play loud if you'd been silly enough to buy the MP3 download version first. What do you think of it madmac?

Nigel.

Comment

• wkhanna
            Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

PATRICIA BARBER - Nightclub

PATRICIA BARBER - Nightclub

I am playing a 24/96k rip from vinyl.

Michael Fremer recently mentioned this LP in Stereophile as being a tired & worn 'audiophile' standard that is so overplayed as to be repulsive. He also went on to say this recent reissue brings it new life and freshness.

Wth its amazing clarity, dynamic range and black background, no arguments from me.
            _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
            ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• JonMarsh
              Mad Max Moderator
              • Aug 2000

The Mothership Returns

Return to Forever, new Album, Live...

Vintage and new tunes with new maturity and chops and production values...

From the first bars, you can tell you're in for something very special if you're an RTF fan.

Chick Corea, Stanley Clarke, Lenny White, but with Jean Luc Ponty on violin instead of Jerry Goodman, and with Frank Gambale on Guitar, and though he has some deep shoes to fill, he does just fine...

Recorded Live in Austin, very nice live sound. Two CD's, one DVD. And a nice full color glossy booklet on the group/album- very good production values.

Highly recommended if you're an RTF fan, or interested at all in becoming one!
              the AudioWorx
              Natalie P
              M8ta
              Modula Neo DCC
              Modula MT XE
              Modula Xtreme
              Isiris
              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
              Minerva Monitor
              Calliope
              Ardent D

In Development...
              Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
              Obi-Wan
              Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
              Modula PWB
              Calliope CC Supreme
              Natalie P Ultra
              Natalie P Supreme
              Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
              Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• bigburner
                Super Senior Member
                • May 2005

Originally posted by JonMarsh
                Return to Forever, new Album, Live...

Hi Jon,

Have you had a chance to watch the DVD yet?

Nigel.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                  Mad Max Moderator
                  • Aug 2000

Hi Jon,

Have you had a chance to watch the DVD yet?

Nigel.
                  Not yet- too busy working on stuff here- but possibly this evening. I'm pretty curious...
                  the AudioWorx
                  Natalie P
                  M8ta
                  Modula Neo DCC
                  Modula MT XE
                  Modula Xtreme
                  Isiris
                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                  Minerva Monitor
                  Calliope
                  Ardent D

In Development...
                  Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                  Obi-Wan
                  Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                  Modula PWB
                  Calliope CC Supreme
                  Natalie P Ultra
                  Natalie P Supreme
                  Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                  Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• gimpy
                    • Sep 2004

Tedeschi Trucks Band, "Live, Everybody's Talkin'" :dudes:

Comment

• Glen B
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Jul 2004

Jeff Healey Band - Full Circle: The Live Anthology

This album consists of three CDs and a DVD from 3 different live concerts in a DVD case (which did not fit in my CD cabinet ). I separated the CDs into a 3-CD jewel box, and scanned and printed inserts for it. So, CDs are filed in the CD cabinet, and DVD is filed with other music/concert DVDs.

Comment

• Johnloudb
                        Super Senior Member
                        • May 2007

I read reports that this was the best ZZ Top sound on CD, so I bought it. Just listened to the La Grange cut and it is indeed very good sound, and HDCD encoded to top it off. You have to pick it up used, or you may have to pay a hefty price.

Attached Files
                        John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• bigburner
                          Super Senior Member
                          • May 2005

Originally posted by Glen B
                          Jeff Healey Band - Full Circle: The Live Anthology

This album consists of three CDs and a DVD from 3 different live concerts in a DVD case
                          Hi Glen,

Have you watched the DVD yet?

Nigel.

Comment

• bigburner
                            Super Senior Member
                            • May 2005

Originally posted by Johnloudb
                            I read reports that this was the best ZZ Top sound on CD, so I bought it. Just listened to the La Grange cut and it is indeed very good sound, and HDCD encoded to top it off. You have to pick it up used, or you may have to pay a hefty price.

Hi John,

4 CDs and 315 minutes of music. You are a real enthusiast!

Nigel.

Comment

• Johnloudb
                              Super Senior Member
                              • May 2007

Hi John,

4 CDs and 315 minutes of music. You are a real enthusiast!

Nigel.
                              I just bought it for the La Grange cut. :W

I really like some of their music and I"m interested in hearing more. Given the sorry state of the modern remasters it's a good way to go. It was in very nice condition and only $25, a very good deal.
                              John unk:

Comment

• wkhanna
                                • Jan 2006

Roy Haynes - "ROY-ALTY"

At the crisp, whippersnapper age of 87, Roy brings it all to this, his latest release. Joined by his fellow musicians he affectionately refers to as the ‘Fountain of Youth’ (Jaleel Shaw, alto sax; Martin Berejano, piano; and David Wong on bass), sir Roy displays just why he is considered a National Treasure & is a 2-time Grammy nominee & Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award winner having worked with Bird, Pres, Getz, Coltrane, Pat Metheny and Andrew Hill just to drop but a few names.

Roy-Alty is not to be mistaken as some producer’s lame attempt to reap financial benefit from exploiting a battle-worn great from a time past whose abilities are diminished and adding a few cameo appearances from the likes of Chick Corea & Roy Hargrove simply to generate extended sales-appeal. Far from it, Haynes holds court and displays with true natural talent everything the ages have taught him. This album brings to mind the famous (paraphrased) quote, ‘it’s the notes you don’t play that make the music’. His performance is not overdone. Don’t get me wrong, the power, impact & speed are in full form, but only when they should be. There is smoothness, a deliberate touch & classical truth to the rhythm that feels so natural as to be almost nonchalant regardless of genre which includes bebop standards from Miles and Sonny Rollins to the Latin influence of Chano Pozo's "Tin Tin Deo" and the more ethereal duet piece "All the Bars are Open" performed with Corea.

Even if you are not a Jazz fan you may V much enjoy this wonderful new work by a true musician.

Performance :45:

Sonics :35:
                                Last edited by wkhanna; 18 August 2012, 20:30 Saturday. Reason: edit sonics rating
                                _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Glen B
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Jul 2004

Hi Glen,

Have you watched the DVD yet?

Nigel.
                                  Yes, its pretty good, has tracks like While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Angel Eyes, and Blue Jean Blues.

Comment

• wkhanna
                                    • Jan 2006

Oscar

TheTelarc production is almost as good as OP, too.
                                    A V nice sounding redbook. Goes to show how much decent recording tecnique & engineering effects the SQ.
                                    _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• PewterTA
                                      • Nov 2004

Both of Bill's two discs he's got up are really good!!!!
                                      Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                                      -Dan

Comment

• wkhanna
                                        • Jan 2006

Tingvall Trio - Noor

So what would happen if you took Emerson and Lake & Palmer , allow them to age like a fine wine? Their hard edge psychedelic, synthesized riffs mellowing toward the classical and jazz genre that so influenced their sophisticated style and then mixed in the somewhat moody, flowing and ethereal sound of Keith Jarrett.

They are called Tingvall Trio, and are taking the continent by storm. Martin Tingvall at piano, Omar Rodriguez Calvo on bass & Jürgen Spiegel seated at drums have received accolades like ECHO JAZZ 2010 "Best Ensemble Of The Year , domestic", ECHO JAZZ 2012 "Best Ensemble Of The Year, domestic" ECHO JAZZ 2012 "Best Live Act Of The Year", & HANS AWARD 2011 "Best Music Production Of The Year".

All fine & good, but what matters is the music. These guys breathe a breath of new life into a modern sound that melds New Age, World & Jazz into a fresh, if somewhat contemplative ambiance that while might at first seem more like standard elevator music, soon hits you with dynamic, progressive interludes that get your attention like the sudden sighting of blue & red flashing lights in your rear view mirror. It is grown-up, but with the soul and energy of the rock I remember from a time that while longer ago than I care to admit, is still V familiar.

Ripped from Vinyl at 96k/24 and run thru my NAS, I rate the sound quality at :45:
                                        _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• bigburner
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • May 2005

Originally posted by wkhanna

So what would happen if you took Emerson and Lake & Palmer , allow them to age like a fine wine? Their hard edge psychedelic, synthesized riffs mellowing toward the classical and jazz genre that so influenced their sophisticated style and then mixed in the somewhat moody, flowing and ethereal sound of Keith Jarrett.

They are called Tingvall Trio, and are taking the continent by storm.
                                          I'm intrigued Bill. No reviews on Amazon and no write-up in allmusic.com. I might have to take a chance.

Nigel.

Comment

• wkhanna
                                            • Jan 2006

Yes, I did not find much (in English) when I did a Google on them.
                                            They are taking the continent by storm, however are still on the ‘fringe’ in the USA.

Keep in mind this is not rock, as in ELP or any other sense of the genre. Nor is it ‘smooth’ jazz (eek!).

This stuff will not get you jumping out of your seat, and for some it may be a downright prescription strength sedative. It aint Mahler, but it aint Handel Water Music either. I find it can slip into the background quite easily, but then transitions to the forefront with energizing beat, driving percussion and 88 key banging of revival & honky tonk energy. There are some serious dynamic swings.

Hold out for while, I will see about getting some samples for you to hear before you splurge on something you not feel worthwhile.
                                            _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• bigburner
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • May 2005

Hi Bill,

The order has been placed. I have faith. If I'm wrong it will go onto the heap of 'discs to be enjoyed at a future date', which is a rather large heap I must admit, but there's lots of time. Well I hope there is.

Nigel.

Originally posted by wkhanna
                                              Yes, I did not find much (in English) when I did a Google on them.
                                              They are taking the continent by storm, however are still on the ‘fringe’ in the USA.

Keep in mind this is not rock, as in ELP or any other sense of the genre. Nor is it ‘smooth’ jazz (eek!).

This stuff will not get you jumping out of your seat, and for some it may be a downright prescription strength sedative. It aint Mahler, but it aint Handel Water Music either. I find it can slip into the background quite easily, but then transitions to the forefront with energizing beat, driving percussion and 88 key banging of revival & honky tonk energy. There are some serious dynamic swings.

Hold out for while, I will see about getting some samples for you to hear before you splurge on something you not feel worthwhile.

Comment

• JeremyG
                                                • Sep 2008

Philm, Harmonic. Dave Lombardo, the drummer for Slayer, Fantomas, and others, has gathered a power trio. The music is solid rock, and very cool. Production is lean, but the mix is good. Give it a listen if you ever wanted to know what a four piece drum kit could do.

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                  • Jan 2006

TALKING HEADS - Little Creatures

It is just a FUN album.

Na Na Nah Nah Nahhh Na
                                                  _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Johnloudb
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • May 2007

This is a lovely little album that I've fallen in love with. Also, it was recorded in a solar powered studio in woods of England, recorded live, is acoustic only, has no compression that I can hear and sounds really natural. It's available in CD and LP. I'm getting the LP too and I'm guessing it will sound even better.

It didn't grab me at once and took a few listens to really get into it, as often happens with me.

It's only available on her website: www.kttunstall.com

Attached Files
                                                    Last edited by Johnloudb; 11 November 2012, 00:26 Sunday.
                                                    John unk:

Comment

• philw101
                                                      • Jul 2012

Pink Floyd - Pulse Live

Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms

Samsung D7000 55" LED TV, B&W 800 Series - 804s,HTM3s, 805s (Rears), B&W ASW825 Sub, Onkyo PR-SC5508, Classe CA-5200, Classe CP-500, Classe CDP-102, Oppo BDP-EU95, SKY+ HD, Sony PS3 , B&W P5 Headphones. Pro-ject Debut III Turntable

Comment

• Manning
                                                        • Oct 2012

John Hiatt Mudslide Hymns. This guy just gets better with time. for me it all started with his Perfectly Good Guitar album, and I've been hooked ever since.

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                          • Jan 2006

I first saw John in 1991 at Merriweather Post Pavillion in DC.
                                                          He was the warm-up for Robert Cray.
                                                          My only complaint is he has been working with too many other producers.
                                                          His latest stuff is true to John, & I like it.
                                                          _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• oldloder
                                                            • Dec 2008

Agreed. Saw John this summer in a very small venue with Steve Earle. Earle was good, but John lit the place up. It's obvious he's still living in Stolen Moments and making the most of them ... he had a great time and so did we.

I've been listening a lot to Jason Moran's Modernistic. It didn't grab me at first but now it's under my skin.

Comment

• Glen B
                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                              • Jul 2004

Alexander Zonjic - Doin' The D (Telarc, 2009)

Track No. 3: Little Sunflower

Jeremy Menuhin/English Symphony Orchestra - Mozart Piano Concertos Vol. 1 (Nimbus Records, 2005)

Comment

• peterr77
                                                                • Jul 2012

Herbie Hancock--The Imagine Project

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                                  • Dec 2000

The latest from Altar Bridge. (what became of Creed) It's pretty good.
                                                                  CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                                                                  - Pleasantville

Comment

• Ovation
                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                    • Sep 2004

Originally posted by peterr77
                                                                    Herbie Hancock--The Imagine Project
                                                                    I quite enjoy that one.

Earlier, I was listening to The Birth of the Cool by Miles Davis. Was way overdue for adding that to my collection.

Comment

• madmac
                                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                                      • Aug 2010

I rented a Chet Baker CD called simply 'Chet' and it's really good mellow yellow!!. Perfect romantic dinner music!!. Rechorded in 1959. Bill Evans on the piano. NICE!!
                                                                      Dan Madden :T

Comment

• Ovation
                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                        • Sep 2004

Thelonious Monk Plays Duke Ellington

very nice trio (Oscar Pettiford on bass and Kenny Clarke on drums).

:T

Comment

• floid
                                                                          Junior Member
                                                                          • Sep 2012

Comment

• Ovation
                                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                                            • Sep 2004
                                                                            • 2202

Gotye--Making Mirrors

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                                              • Jan 2006
                                                                              • 5673

Christmas morning traditional spins at the Hanna home.

Dave Brubeck - Fiesta De La Posada

Pink Martini - Joy to the World

_

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                                                • Jan 2006
                                                                                • 5673

I heard this evening that Joshua Bell has taken on the role of cunductor & has released his effort with The Academy of St. Martin in the Fields.

After more than three decades as a soloist, violinist Joshua Bell has taken over the venerable Academy of St. Martin in the Fields, leading the orchestra in a new recording of Beethoven symphonies.

Well wish to him.

For my effort of lesser demand, I pass the mouse over the icon of Maestro Karajan & am treated to a classic, composed by a classic, performed by a classic of some V nice classical.

No. 4

Click image for larger version

Name:	Front.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	858080
                                                                                _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Ovation
                                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                                  • Sep 2004
                                                                                  • 2202

Keith Jarrett--The Köln Concert

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                                                    • Jan 2006
                                                                                    • 5673

Originally posted by Ovation
                                                                                    Keith Jarrett--The Köln Concert
                                                                                    Every time I listen to this work it reveals something new.

The mark of a clasic.
                                                                                    _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                                                                                      Moderator
                                                                                      • Sep 2001
                                                                                      • 3161

Every time I listen to this work it reveals something new.

The mark of a clasic.
                                                                                      That's exactly how I feel about the latest CD I've been spinning repeatedly: Holly Cole's "Night".

An insightful reviewer at Amazon (I'll try not to break my arm patting myself on the back) noted the following:

"A triumph of subtle phrasing and vocal coloration that sneaks up on you rather than beating you over the head with bravura effect. Her selection of songs for this album is eclectic, yet upon listening, makes perfect sense. The set is cohesive, yet with enough variety song-to-song to avoid any trace of monotony. Sly and sophisticated vocal delivery with effective instrumental backup superbly recorded make for a truly enjoyable listening experience.

I've been a fan of Holly Cole since the 1990's and have over a dozen of her albums. Her style has always been appealing to me, and even her infrequent "misses" have a certain charm. However, there are no "misses" in this album; each song is just "right", even if (or perhaps especially because) the interpretation is unlike the artist's who introduced the song or made it popular. I especially liked the way she transformed "You Only Live Twice" into a languorous reflection rather than the slick pop introduction to a spy adventure. "Good Time Charlie's Got The Blues" provides profound insights delivered with soulful reflection, and she makes "If You Go Away" sound like new material (although of course we'll continue to enjoy Dusty Springfield's classic and timeless rendition), while "If You Could Read My Mind" no longer belongs exclusively to her fellow Canadian, Gordon Lightfoot.

Holly's style has matured over the years, adding depth and resonance to what was already remarkably insightful and individual interpretation. It would be interesting to hear her re-visit some of her early material, yet I'm glad she continues to give us her take on interesting songs she has not sung for us before. It is easy to listen right through these songs and want to repeat the whole sequence again. (I've done that several times already.) I'm looking forward to hearing her perform this set at a live performance later this year."

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                                                                                        Moderator
                                                                                        • Sep 2001
                                                                                        • 3161

Herbie Hancock "Possibilities" is also in rotation. Great material, great talent, great sound, great test record when demo'ing new equipment.

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                          • Dec 2000
                                                                                          • 16877

Hey Tex, great to see ya!
                                                                                          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                                                                                          - Pleasantville

Comment

• Ovation
                                                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                                                            • Sep 2004
                                                                                            • 2202

Tony Banks--SIX Pieces for Orchestra (second of his classical albums on Naxos)

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"