What CD are you listening to right now?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kpodolski
    • Jun 2006

The second place winner is the first place loser.

An argument with reality is one you'll never win.

If you are offended, you are complicit in the outrage.

It's better to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

"Americans love a winner. Americans will not tolerate a loser." Gen. Patton

Comment

• bigburner
      Super Senior Member
      • May 2005

Allman Brothers Band - "At Fillmore East"

I last listened to this 1971 album on vinyl in London in 1974. I have better speakers now but reduced hearing I suspect. I spotted the CD the other day and just had to buy it. It's still one of the all-time great live albums.

Nigel.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Johnloudb
        Super Senior Member
        • May 2007

Heather Nova - South

I've just been thoroughly enjoying this. Didn't really hit me at how good it is on first listen, but I kept coming back to it. A huge Heather Nova fan here. For those who haven't heard her music, she kind of reminds me of KT Tunstall, but she's very much a unique artist.
        Attached Files
        John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• madmac
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Johnloudb
          Heather Nova - South

I've just been thoroughly enjoying this. Didn't really hit me at how good it is on first listen, but I kept coming back to it. A huge Heather Nova fan here. For those who haven't heard her music, she kind of reminds me of KT Tunstall, but she's very much a unique artist.

She looks like fun!!!.
          Dan Madden :T

Comment

• wkhanna
            Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

Dead Can Dance

Dead Can Dance - Toward the Within

24/96k HiRes rip from Original UK White Lable LP Test Pressing

(I think I just introduced two new catetgories) :W

_

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
            ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• kpodolski
              • Jun 2006

In my opinion, one of Jerry's most beautiful scores.

Comment

• madmac
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2010

Originally posted by kpodolski
                In my opinion, one of Jerry's most beautiful scores.

I remember going to see that one in once was a big old movie theater with a killer sound system and just being in awe watching it. You are right....the score was amazing.

Sadly, those theaters don't exist anymore in Montreal. Now, they are all small, the sound is crap and the picture is out of focus 50% of the time!! Sad.

That's why I have a kick ass home theater now!!! :T

Comment

• Ovation
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Sep 2004

I do miss the old Imperial on Bleury.

Just finished with Rush--Retrospective 1981-1987 (my favourite period of Rush music). Having dialed in my DPLII Music mode (my AVR lets me tweak its setting), I'm finding some of my 2 channel music in that mode rivals discrete MCH discs in my collection. I could tweak the settings in my old AVR but it did not sound as good as with my new one (probably the added benefit of my new AVR's EQ--or maybe the DPLII algorithms have improved in the past 8 years).

Comment

• kpodolski
                    • Jun 2006

Originally posted by madmac
                    I remember going to see that one in once was a big old movie theater with a killer sound system and just being in awe watching it.
                    That's amazing; I was just talking to a friend about the exact same thing! Back when TMP came out, my aunt took me to the local (one screen) cinema and I can still remember the event in my mind. The lights dim and the overture begins with the star field on the screen. Dang, it was almost religious for me...

Damn, that's when going to the movies was special. Now, you couldn't pay me to go to a theatre. They're filled with a bunch of mouth-breathing neanderthals who sit there and play with their f@#king cel phones. One of these days I'm going to shove a cel phone up someones arse! (If you can't tell, I hate cel phones...)

Comment

• Chris D
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Dec 2000

hear, hear. :clap:
                      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                      - Pleasantville

Comment

• madmac
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2010

Originally posted by kpodolski
                        That's amazing; I was just talking to a friend about the exact same thing! Back when TMP came out, my aunt took me to the local (one screen) cinema and I can still remember the event in my mind. The lights dim and the overture begins with the star field on the screen. Dang, it was almost religious for me...

Damn, that's when going to the movies was special. Now, you couldn't pay me to go to a theatre. They're filled with a bunch of mouth-breathing neanderthals who sit there and play with their f@#king cel phones. One of these days I'm going to shove a cel phone up someones arse! (If you can't tell, I hate cel phones...)
                        It was what was once called "Loews 1", which was the biggest theater in Montreal at the time. It was full and there was easily 1000-1500 people in there. The screen was huge and like you said above,,,,,when the lights went down and the music started.....then......"Space....the final frontier".........It was a religious experience because I was and still am a huge Star Trek fan !!.Those days are sadly over!! :cry:

Comment

• madmac
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2010

On a final note, the last movie I went to see in a theater was with my daughter. It was a crappy little one like they all are nowadays....The screen was dirty, the picture was slightly out of focus.....VERY annoying (No cameraman of course!). One of the surround speakers which was sadly right beside me was blown and was making this annoying buzzing sound anytime the movie got loud. It was just lovely!!. NOT!!

Comment

• kpodolski
                            • Jun 2006

Originally posted by madmac
                            On a final note, the last movie I went to see in a theater was with my daughter. It was a crappy little one like they all are nowadays....The screen was dirty, the picture was slightly out of focus.....VERY annoying (No cameraman of course!). One of the surround speakers which was sadly right beside me was blown and was making this annoying buzzing sound anytime the movie got loud. It was just lovely!!. NOT!!
                            And the studios expect us to go to these dens of iniquity and spend our hard earnd dolllars? I think not....

Comment

• kpodolski
                              • Jun 2006

Comment

• Ovation
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Sep 2004

Herbie Hancock--The Imagine Project

Comment

• kpodolski
                                  • Jun 2006

Toru Takemitsu...

Comment

• bigburner
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • May 2005

Jim White - "Where It Hits You" (2012)

This is a lovely album. I have been following Jim White closely since I saw him in concert here in New Zealand a few years ago. He played in a bar with no more than 50 people present. It was a real treat.

The following review from Amazon, written by JG "wordmule", describes his new album far better than I ever could.

For those who have followed the career of Jim White, to describe it as a long strange trip would be a gross understatement.

"Where it hits you" is just the latest chapter in one man's journey from growing up in Pensacola, Florida, the unofficial capital of the Pentecostal, Jesus and drug infested "Redneck Riviera", to broken relationships, fleeting happiness, and heartache.

Mr. White is a huge fan of all things Southern Gothic, including Flannery O'Connor and Cormac McCarthy. Coincidentally or not, his own life has turned out just as strange, or stranger, than the fictional tales of the Southern Gothic artists who inspire him.

"Where it hits you" came about while Mr. White was going through a separation, then divorce from his wife. He's played many of the songs on "Where it hits you" live for several years, long before he went through his separation and divorce.

For those of us have heard many of the songs for years, the word which immediately comes to mind in listening to "Where it Hits you" is "prescience".

It reminds me of an interview I read after David Bowie's record "Heathen" was released in 2002. The interviewer asked him whether at least a couple of songs were written as a response to 9/11, and he said that the songs in question had been chosen or written long before 9/11. Jung disciple that Mr. Bowie is, he suggested that sometimes people, and artists especially, can be true vessels of things to come, whether in his/her personal life or on a broader scale. David Byrne has also commented many times that his lyrics sometimes don't make any sense to him after he's first written them, yet then take on meaning in hindsight.

In Mr. White's case, "prescience" as an influencing life and creative force is nothing new, at least from reading his short stories and strange tales he likes to tell on stage, but I'm not sure previous songs have been quite as blatantly prescient as the songs on this record.

Musically, the arrangements are lush and detailed and carefully thought out, courtesy of Mr. White's own producing talents as well as fellow Athens producer John Keane, who has produced records for R.E.M. and a long list of other great bands and musicians.

The setting and overall feel of the record has that same Jesus inflected Southern Gothic Appalachian country stomp which have become White's signature. It reflects an evolving and maturing ambience that White has cultivated throughout his career.

With each new Jim White record, I think "This is the one which will give him the wide acclaim he so greatly deserves".

Don't take my word for it. Listen for yourself. I'm confident you'll agree.

Nigel.
                                    Attached Files

Comment

• kpodolski
                                      • Jun 2006

"Vinyl is final and Todd is god"...

Comment

• kpodolski
                                        • Jun 2006

Beautiful music for a rainy Sunday afternoon....

Comment

• Chris D
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Dec 2000

Huh... not familiar with that. But I know the name of Brian Eno, particularly of his work with U2.
                                          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• bigburner
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • May 2005

Originally posted by Chris D
                                            Huh... not familiar with that. But I know the name of Brian Eno, particularly of his work with U2.
                                            If you happen to be passing a shop that sells old vinyl make sure you check out the cover of his album "Here Come The Warm Jets".

Nigel.
                                            Attached Files

Comment

• wkhanna
                                              • Jan 2006

Buy it
                                              Steal it
                                              Do what ever it takes to hear it

_

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                • Jan 2006

Ahmad's Blues: Live At The Spotlight

Ahmad's Blues: Live At The Spotlight

Oh, this grove is so sublime!

BTW, another Pittsburgh native with a 'little' talent for Jazz we are happy to share with yunz. :W
                                                _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Glen B
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • Jul 2004

Originally posted by wkhanna
                                                  Buy it
                                                  Steal it
                                                  Do what ever it takes to hear it

I've got that one. I'm a Fela fan with a substantial collection fo his music going back to the 1970s. I once thought I would get to see him perform live when he was booked to appear at SOB's club here in NY City in the mid-'90s, but when I called them for information, they said he had visa problems and would not be coming to the US.

This album, Live with Ginger Baker is my favorite:

Sound track links:
                                                  Track 1
                                                  Track 2
                                                  Track 3
                                                  Track 4

Last edited by Glen B; 29 March 2012, 23:38 Thursday. Reason: Added sound track links

Comment

• kpodolski
                                                    • Jun 2006

Comment

• Chris D
                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                      • Dec 2000

Just got this--a blind purchase from Amazon, looking for good guitar music. Really enjoying it.
                                                      CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• wettou
                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                        • May 2006

A complete list of all SA-CD titles worldwide with reviews, news and more.
                                                        Attached Files
                                                        Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Johnloudb
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • May 2007

Jack White - Blunderbuss

This album has been getting a lot of attention since it was recently released, and for good reason. Really enjoying it ...

Attached Files
                                                          John unk:

Comment

• bigburner
                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                            • May 2005

Originally posted by Johnloudb
                                                            Jack White - Blunderbuss

This album has been getting a lot of attention since it was recently released, and for good reason. Really enjoying it ...
                                                            Agreed John. A really impressive album. I listened to it for the first time last night. It held my attention throughout. He's a very clever man.

Nigel.

Comment

• ejr1953
                                                              • Apr 2012

My audio dealer turned me on to "The Astounding Eyes of Rita" by Anouar Brahem, an artist from Tunisia, very nice, quiet yet full sounds from an oud player.

I also recently got all the SACD versions of Diana Krall's music, very nicely recorded.

Comment

• bigburner
                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                • May 2005

Originally posted by bigburner
                                                                Agreed John. A really impressive album. I listened to it for the first time last night. It held my attention throughout. He's a very clever man.

Nigel.
                                                                I watched an HD video of Jack White the other night when he was playing with The Raconteurs in 2008 (the "Eden Sessions" broadcast on MTV). Now I'm not so sure how clever he really is. I came way thinking that he's a Jimmy Page wannabe with about 10% of Page's ability on the guitar. His singing was very average too. At least on Blunderbuss he sings within his limits.

I'm looking forward to listening to Blunderbuss again now that I have a pair of turd coloured glasses to wear.

Nigel.

Comment

• Johnloudb
                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                  • May 2007

Hi Nigel,

I agree that much of his older stuff, like with the White Stripes, is not so hot, although I haven't listened to a lot of it. His singing was pretty dismal, and while my dad agrees about his singing he has liked the rawness of his music, and liked what he's seen of Jack White in interviews and magazines ... he's a fan.

Jack White is part of the band The Dead Weather. I really like some of that music. Hang You From The Heavens is one of my favorite songs. Jack White produces their albums and plays drums and sings in parts. I love Alison Mosshart's vocals!!! I wish she was more involved in many of the songs. No one else on that album can really sing.

Jack is not a great singer, though I think he uses his voice to great affect on Blunderbuss. It's become one of my favorite albums, and I never get tired of it. I agree with your first take on Blunderbuss. He recently got divorced from his super model wife. If you pay attention to the lyrics, you can guess that he finally found something to write/sing about. I think he's come along quite a ways and matured a lot since he and his sister were doing the White Stripes albums.

Just my take on Jack White and his music.

John
                                                                  John unk:

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                                    • Dec 2000

Jack's ex-wife has a nice rack.

Just gotta get that out there.
                                                                    CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                                      • Jan 2006

So Chris........

.....feel better now that you have that off your chest? :W
                                                                      Last edited by wkhanna; 07 June 2012, 21:29 Thursday. Reason: spelling
                                                                      _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                                        • Dec 2000

Sure...
                                                                        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                                          • Jan 2006
                                                                          • 5673

RUSTED ROOT - "Curel Sun"

_

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Ovation
                                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                                            • Sep 2004
                                                                            • 2202

About to listen to my father's day gift of the new Rush album--Clockwork Angel.

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                                              • Jan 2006
                                                                              • 5673

Kenny Dorham - Quiet Kenny

Sophisticated, laidback bebop.
                                                                              Goes well while unwinding on a Friday eve with a cold Leffe after a long hot week.

_

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                                                • Jan 2006
                                                                                • 5673

CALEXJCO - The Black Light

If Quinton Tarantino made an album, this would be it.

Imagine yourself in the arid South West, top down in a 1968 Impalla convertable, on a long straight two-lane. It is 4:30 in the afternoon. The sun is blazing. Any hint of moisture or coolness is a universe away. You are in between waypoints on a journey of life or death consequence. Yet, here, in the middle of the dessert, there is a slight respite of anxiety as you approach the next chapter of your personal odyssey.

It is dark, but with shallow glimpses of light. It is moody, but with hints of ecstasy. It is minimalistic, but hits you with epic weight. It is creepy, but at the same time almost comforting.

It must be heard.
                                                                                Last edited by wkhanna; 05 July 2012, 07:07 Thursday.
                                                                                _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• kpodolski
                                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                                  • Jun 2006
                                                                                  • 316

It must be heard.

Sounds interesting.

I just requested it from my library system. Will you guarantee my satisfaction?

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                                                    • Jan 2006
                                                                                    • 5673

Life is full of guarantees.
                                                                                    _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Glen B
                                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                                      • Jul 2004
                                                                                      • 1106

If Quinton Tarantino made an album, this would be it.

Imagine yourself in the arid South West, top down in a 1968 Impalla convertable, on a long straight two-lane. It is 4:30 in the afternoon. The sun is blazing. Any hint of moisture or coolness is a universe away. You are in between waypoints on a journey of life or death consequence. Yet, here, in the middle of the dessert, there is a slight respite of anxiety as you approach the next chapter of your personal odyssey.

It is dark, but with shallow glimpses of light. It is moody, but with hints of ecstasy. It is minimalistic, but hits you with epic weight. It is creepy, but at the same time almost comforting.

It must be heard.
                                                                                      I have that one in my collection. The Cartoon Network uses track #6, Minas De Cobre (For Better Metal) as the theme music for El Kabong Rides Again.

go to http://www.cngroovies.has.it to download all these groovies, plus their songs!song by calexico

Comment

• Glen B
                                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                                        • Jul 2004
                                                                                        • 1106

Diana Krall - The Girl In The Other Room, Hybrid SACD

Sample track Narrow Daylight, written by Krall and husband Elvis Costello: Track No 9: "Narrow Daylight"

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                                                          • Jan 2006
                                                                                          • 5673

Originally posted by Glen B
                                                                                          I have that one in my collection. The Cartoon Network uses track #6, Minas De Cobre (For Better Metal) as the theme music for El Kabong Rides Again.
                                                                                          I did not know Quinton was making cartoons now!
                                                                                          _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Ovation
                                                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                                                            • Sep 2004
                                                                                            • 2202

Originally posted by Glen B
                                                                                            Diana Krall - The Girl In The Other Room, Hybrid SACD

Sample track Narrow Daylight, written by Krall and husband Elvis Costello: Track No 9: "Narrow Daylight"
                                                                                            Great underrated album that sounds fantastic in MCH. A favourite of mine that gets regular play. :T

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"