Clear All
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Just ordered it.

Comment

• PewterTA
      • Nov 2004

I concur!!! I have multiple copies of Carmina, both CD & Vinyl rips and none sound as good as this version.

I told Bill that I might have only heard one version that was slightly better, I don't know if people remember, but one of the "newer" StarWars movies, the commerical they released for it used Carmina and the sound that would come through my HT was unbelieveable...I'm wondering if they took this release and used it in a Hi-Res format...because this CD is VERY VERY good!

I definitely had one of my most favorite nights at my house in the last couple years having Bill over. Because my system is finally getting a musicality to it that is on par with the BEST we've heard so.... that defintiely put a BIG smile on my face. All this with my weakest link, the B&W 604s3s!!! So now I know my weak link needs to get replaced now!
      Digital Audio makes me Happy.
      -Dan

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

Really? Better than the Tilson Thomas version that is posted above?
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• wkhanna
          Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Chris D
          Really? Better than the Tilson Thomas version that is posted above?
          I have not heard it other than over the radio.
          I will be ordering it soon, however.
          The Cleveland SO is one of the best in the USA.
          Sony, in general does not do too bad a job of engineering, but it depends on who exactly is at the control board.
          The recording is from 1974.
          It has a 'Recommended' rating at ArkivMusic.

link to ArkivMusic MTT recording

The Jochum performance is more traditional in its presentation and contrary to what I said previously, may be considered the more ‘definitive’, or at least ‘traditional’ of recordings.
          Recorded in 1967.
          Also, receiving the 'Recomended' Rating at ArckivMusic.

link to ArkivMusic Jochum recording
          _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
          ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• JeremyG
            • Sep 2008

TesseracT: One.

Very cool, but hard to put in a genre. It's got kind of a progressive, post-metal type sound. Good production, and doesn't seem too compressed both in sound and using LEQ.

Jeremy

Comment

• JeremyG
              • Sep 2008

Animals as Leaders: Weightless

Sounds like what you would get if you threw fusion, jazz, and metal into a blender. With no vocals. The musicianship is very good. Another decently produced record.

Jeremy

Comment

• gimpy
                • Sep 2004

Just finished listening to "Patricia Barber Modern Cool". Am now listening to "Cowboy Junkies, The Trinity Session". Both albums over my headphones as the wife is watching a movie on tv

Comment

• wkhanna
                  • Jan 2006

Originally posted by gimpy
                  Just finished listening to "Patricia Barber Modern Cool
                  All Patricia's work is brilliant, IMO and the sound quality quite extraordinary. :T
                  _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• wkhanna
                    • Jan 2006

For True - Trombone Shorty

A recent purchase, ‘For True’, is the first music I have heard in ages that actually has me excited. Troy Andrews, aka Trombone Shorty, a 26 year old native of the 6th Ward (New Orleans) is garnering well deserved attention. He had secured a position in Lenny Kravitz’s tour band in 2005, and Lenny new a good thing when he heard it. Acting as mentor, Lenny has helped tack TS on good course. Earning the respect of, and working with venerated musicians such as Jeff Beck, Kid Rock, Ledisi, Warren Haynes, Ivan and Cyril Neville, he impresses all with his natural born talent that lead him to begin playing horn at age three.

His fresh style refutes trite categorization, blending elements of Latin, New Orleans street jazz, funk, Rap, Motown, et al.

I was fortunate to catch his emotional performance of the National Anthem at the New York Giants' NFC Wild Card Playoff Game vs. the Atlanta Falcons on January 8. It is the only fully instrumental rendition of the work I can ever remember being played at a NFL game. Part of the thrill was how the fans responded by filling the stadium with their voices.

The sound quality of his albums is above average by today’s standards. Despite mild compression, alterations in mixing technique from song to song adds to the interest and variation. This helps greatly to fend off monotony and fatigue, even at elevated sound levels. And when you have TB spinning, it is difficult to resist bumping up the ‘loud’ knob.

I recommend you get this album, and also his previous release, ‘Backatown’.

_

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Ovation
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Sep 2004

Just wrapping up Mendelssohn's Piano Trios 1 and 2 on MCH SACD. Julia Fischer on violin, Jonathan Gilad on piano and Daniel Muller-Schott on cello. Pentatone SACD.

Comment

• Travis
                        • Jan 2012

Rush

Hemispheres

Comment

• Travis
                          • Jan 2012

Rush

A long trime Rush Fan.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Ovation
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Sep 2004

Elgar's Symphony No. 3 (as finished by Anthony Payne)--NAXOS DVD-A MCH

One of my earliest classical DVD-As and one I play fairly often.

Comment

• Ovation
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Sep 2004

Popular Classics for Spanish Guitar--Julian Bream (RCA Living Stereo SACD).

Quite nice in the background as I do my marking. My students are probably benefiting a little bit from my better mood.

Comment

• Ovation
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Sep 2004

Pletnev Plays Schumann (MCH SACD). Still marking.

Comment

• Ovation
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Sep 2004

Originally posted by wkhanna

I think the first time this work left an impression on me was 1982 when it was used in Arnie Schwarzenegger’s movie “Conan the Barbarian”. This was actually a decent flick for its genre, and consider the fact that James Earl Jones lent his great Shakespearean skills to its production along with one of my other favorites, the Japanese actor Mako (his supporting role with Steve McQueen in the ‘the Sand Pebbles’ is one the most overlooked performances in motion picture history, IMHO). Back on topic, this work, specifically the first and closing pieces, ‘Fortune’, are now so over sampled as to be cliché’. Possibly more so than even Beethoven’s famous lick from the Fifth Symphony. Surprisingly maybe to some, there exists rather interesting and worthwhile work between the overworked end caps here.

Part opera, part choral work, part bombastic orchestral arrangement, the origin for Carl Orff’s most famous labor is taken from poetry transcripts of a rather obscure sect of 11th, 12th & 13th century monks who took great pleasure in the satirical mocking of the RCC’s clergy for their flagrant pursuit of pleasures of the flesh, embezzlement of tithe, and overall epicurean life style.

I have this work on a Deutsche Grammophon LP I bought used years ago when I first returned to vinyl. It unfortunately is in very poor condition. Thus, while recently completing an order from Amazon for a few SeeDee’s I have been longing after, I added a copy of Leonard Slatkin’s interpretation while guiding the St. Louis Symphony Orchestra. I dropped this in the CA 640 v2 for the 1st time last night.

You may not be aware of the work Dan (aka PewterTA) has been performing on my system, but some significant changes were brought to my RB-1090 power amp recently. Since that time, I have only had a few hours to do some uninterrupted listening.

This is the first orchestral music I have played since the upgrade. Now since this was a new SeeDee, I have no real true benchmark. Regardless, the performance was stunning. Brass was clean and clear. More so than I ever remember. Massed strings had shimmering texture that I don not recall hearing at home. The hall seemed very open and large, as would be required for a work of this dramatic magnitude.

I’m now anxious to play some other classical from my digital library that I am V familiar with. Hopefully the improvement will be shared with all of it.

AFA this disc, some say it is a bit green with little emotion. I found it quite pleasing, modern all most, with excellent sound quality and dynamics. I plan on purchasing the DG label of Eugen Jochum conducting. He is guided as it were during the preparation for the recording by the composer himself. I will report back when I have a chance to compare the two.
                                  Just arrived a few days ago. While I enjoy this piece very much and I look forward to this rendition, it's not quite "background music for grading" material. Will be cuing it up as soon as I have the time to devote to a proper listening session.

Comment

• wkhanna
                                    • Jan 2006

Tony Bennett - Unplugged

Say something derogatory about Anthony, go ahead, try.

While the likes of Sinatra and others of their generation were doing covers of trite pop tunes in 70’s & 80’s in an attempt to stay in the limelight and generate $ for their labels who were putting enormous pressure on them, Tony said no thanks. He just created his own label and kept his repertoire true to his roots of the great standards.

It took guts to stand up to the music company moguls, and for years he was ‘off the charts’, and not in a good way. See what happens when you swim up stream when everyone else sells out for the easy ride. Doesn’t hurt when you are blessed with natural talent that eclipses pure genius. Still, he remains as humble as an abused puppy.
                                    _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• wkhanna
                                      • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Ovation
                                      Just arrived a few days ago. While I enjoy this piece very much and I look forward to this rendition, it's not quite "background music for grading" material. Will be cuing it up as soon as I have the time to devote to a proper listening session.
                                      I anxiously await your verdict, given your familiarity with this work.
                                      _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• bigburner
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • May 2005

While the likes of Sinatra and others of their generation were doing covers of trite pop tunes in 70’s & 80’s in an attempt to stay in the limelight and generate $ for their labels who were putting enormous pressure on them, Tony said no thanks. He just created his own label and kept his repertoire true to his roots of the great standards.

It took guts to stand up to the music company moguls, and for years he was ‘off the charts’, and not in a good way. See what happens when you swim up stream when everyone else sells out for the easy ride. Doesn’t hurt when you are blessed with natural talent that eclipses pure genius. Still, he remains as humble as an abused puppy.
                                        Great post Bill.

Nigel.

Comment

• bigburner
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • May 2005

Ryan Adams - "Ashes & Fire" (2011)

This album comes close to being my favourite new release of 2011. I like every song. I’ve enjoyed Ryan Adams' work for a few years now but this is my favourite CD. In recent years he has played a lot with rock band The Cardinals but this album is a distinct departure from that style of music. It’s almost as if the enfant terrible has grown up. I'm sure a contributing factor influencing his new musical direction is his affliction with Ménière's disease – a disorder of the inner ear that affects hearing and balance. Adams had to take a two year break from music and undergo therapy to overcome the anxiety that was preventing him from getting back on stage. Ménière's is therefore not the best disorder to have if you happen to be a musician. Fortunately good music may have come out of bad luck in this case.

Nigel.
                                          Attached Files

Comment

• madmac
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Aug 2010

I'm not gonna' say anything bad about this dude!!. I have this video and his talent becomes clearly evident when he turns off all the mics and fills that room with the sound of his powerful voice!!. Unbelievable!!! :E
                                            Dan Madden :T

Comment

• wkhanna
                                              • Jan 2006

John Lee Hooker - Healer

Sometimes when great artists are in the twilight of their careers, some producer gets the idea to gather a few popular musicians to sit in with the legend in order sell to a more active consumer and doesn’t really give much care to the repertoire or engineering. IOW, it’s an opportunity to make a quick buck off the back of the legend.

I do not feel this is the case with respect to this album, though J L Hooker aficionados may not feel his true talent showcased as it should be. The engineering is decent, and with contributions from Carlos Santana, Bonnie Raitt, Robert Cray, Los Lobos, George Thorogood & Charlie Musselwhite……….How bad could this be?

Nigel, I think you would really enjoy this one if you don’t already have it. :W
                                              _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                • Jan 2006

Patricia Barber – Cafe Blue

Sorry, I just do not know any other way to get my point across.

This is simply the best fuc*ing album.

Why can't they all be recorded with this level of engineering? It makes digital attractive to even a vinyl curmudgeon like me. The talent of the musicians here is at the same level. As soon as it is ended, I want to hear every single note again. Every time I play it.
                                                _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• bigburner
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • May 2005

Nigel, I think you would really enjoy this one if you don’t already have it. :W
                                                  Ordered!

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                    • Jan 2006

Originally posted by bigburner
                                                    Ordered!
                                                    Well, I am on the hot seat now. I hope my recommendation fulfills its promise.

Oh! And happy belated B-day, too!
                                                    _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• madmac
                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                      • Aug 2010

Sorry, I just do not know any other way to get my point across.

This is simply the best fuc*ing album.

Why can't they all be recorded with this level of engineering? It makes digital attractive to even a vinyl curmudgeon like me. The talent of the musicians here is at the same level. As soon as it is ended, I want to hear every single note again. Every time I play it.
                                                      Wow!! Patricia Barber in HDCD. That must sound fabulous!! :E . Try her other album "Nightclub". That one is simply a beautiful recording.

Comment

• madmac
                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                        • Aug 2010

Quick question.....How are you folks putting album pictures into this forum?. When I click on "insert image", all I get is a request to add some text?.

Comment

• Ovation
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Sep 2004

Currently spinning a Chandos recording of Elgar's First Symphony (Richard Hickox and the BBC National Orchestra of Wales) on SACD MCH. I'm really enjoying making my way through my classical SACDs of late--I've been comparing my PS3 with my Cambridge DVD99 for SACD playback and the PS3 has grown on me. Ease of use, higher sampling rate when converting to PCM (at 176.4 vs 88.2 khz, though I find no audible difference--I'm just noting the fact) and album/track info on screen (I use a small computer monitor for OSD for players and the AVR).

I recently acquired the DVD99 (a store demo with full warranty at a "used" price) to get DVD-A via HDMI. As it also does SACD, I initially planned to use it for both formats. It works very well with DVD-A. SACD playback, however, has been a bit quirky--one of my MCH discs (Weather Report's Mysterious Traveller) would not play in MCH on the DVD99 (works fine with the PS3, which is what got me using it for SACD). Also, there is a faint, but clearly audible "tick" sound between tracks on SACDs that is not present with DVD-A. A bit of internet hunting reveals the "tick" is a known flaw in the DVD99 and its Oppo close cousin (980H), so it's not going away. If I'd paid full price for the unit, I'd send it back. However, I really only need it for DVD-A as my PS3 does so well with SACD, so I'll live with it (good to have a spare SACD HDMI capability anyway, should my PS3 have trouble). Plus it's region-free for DVDs and I have a few of those.

Sorry about the technical digression. Back to the music.

Just before the Elgar, I had Dave Brubeck's Private Brubeck Remembers SACD MCH (Telarc) in the background while marking. A very nice disc (especially with a nice single malt on a snowy evening).

Comment

• bigburner
                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                            • May 2005

Anthony's second wife Sandra Grant claims he was so heavily addicted to cocaine that he used to smuggle it through airports under his toupee.

Will that do?

That didn't stop me ordering his MTV Unplugged DVD at the same time as the John Lee Hooker CD.

Nigel.

Comment

• bigburner
                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                              • May 2005

And then there's this heinous effort:

Tony Sings the Great Hits of Today!

According to Wikipedia it was done under pressure from his record company for more marketable material. It featured misguided attempts at Beatles and other current songs and a ludicrous psychedelic art cover. By all accounts, this album was the nadir of Bennett's recording career.

Bennett later said that, "I started planning the record by listening to as many current hits as I could stand. I mean some of the songs made me physically nauseous." Clive Davis, head of Columbia Records, reported that Bennett literally vomited before the first recording session for the album.

I've learnt quite a lot about Tony Bennett thanks to you Bill. I can't wait for the DVD to arrive.

Nigel.
                                                              Attached Files

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                                • Jan 2006

Anthony's second wife Sandra Grant claims he was so heavily addicted to cocaine that he used to smuggle it through airports under his toupee.

Will that do?
                                                                Unlike Frank, who had it delivered to his room by his 'employers'. :W

That didn't stop me ordering his MTV Unplugged DVD at the same time as the John Lee Hooker CD.

Nigel.
                                                                It may not be best CD of Tony's, but it's as good a place as any to start. I truly hope you enjoy it. :T
                                                                _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                                  • Jan 2006

Bennett later said that, "I started planning the record by listening to as many current hits as I could stand. I mean some of the songs made me physically nauseous." Clive Davis, head of Columbia Records, reported that Bennett literally vomited before the first recording session for the album.
                                                                  Hence, his motovation to start his own lable.
                                                                  _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                                    • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Ovation
                                                                    Just before the Elgar, I had Dave Brubeck's Private Brubeck Remembers SACD MCH (Telarc) in the background while marking. A very nice disc (especially with a nice single malt on a snowy evening).
                                                                    Longer ago than I care to contemplate, when I first joined this forum, I had posted about the ‘Time Out’ SeeDee I was listening to. You replied and recommended this album. I purchased it immediately and it has become one of my favorites for quiet, introspective late evenings alone with one of my special Ports or Single Malts. I am grateful to you each time it is played.

_

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Ovation
                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                      • Sep 2004

:T Glad to be of service. Slainte.

(I've set aside some time for the Carmina Burana on Monday where I can focus on it seriously--will let you know what I think)

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                                        • Jan 2006

Do dheagh shlàinte.:^x
                                                                        Last edited by wkhanna; 12 February 2012, 13:15 Sunday.
                                                                        _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                                          • Jan 2006
                                                                          • 16075

Matisyahu

[youtube]WRmBChQjZPs[/youtube]

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                                            • Jan 2006
                                                                            • 5673

This is a Mapleshade SeeDee, so the production engineering is ‘par excellence’.

Pure, raw & simple blues as it should be. Acoustic guitar, acoustic bass & mouth harp with just the perfect subtle raspy quality of Ben Andrews’ vocals.

Highly recommended.
                                                                            _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• kpodolski
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Jun 2006
                                                                              • 316

Ahhh, Sunday morning.

Nothing is better than Bruckner on a Sunday morn'.......

The second place winner is the first place loser.

An argument with reality is one you'll never win.

If you are offended, you are complicit in the outrage.

It's better to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

"Americans love a winner. Americans will not tolerate a loser." Gen. Patton

Comment

• Johnloudb
                                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                                • May 2007
                                                                                • 1877

I really like Bruckner, I really like his 9th and his 8th symphony is also really good - the second movement of his 8th is one of my all time favorite pieces of music. I like most of his stuff ... Mass No. 3, 4th symphony ...

This recording is a good one: Synphony No. 8 Gunter Wand, Berlin Philharmonic -

John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• wettou
                                                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                  • May 2006
                                                                                  • 3389

Originally posted by Hdale85
                                                                                  Matisyahu

Great musician :T
                                                                                  Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• kpodolski
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Jun 2006
                                                                                    • 316

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                                                      • Jan 2006
                                                                                      • 5673

A Review of 'Time of the Templars' from ArkiMusic.
                                                                                      _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• kpodolski
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • Jun 2006
                                                                                        • 316

Steve Roach "Early Man". This was a limited editon release with a very cool CD case made of slate. Hand made and limited to 1000 units.

If you like ambient, this is hard core....

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                                                          • Jan 2006
                                                                                          • 5673

"Hard Core"....... I get it..... :rofl:

That is about the most unique jewel case I have ever seen.

Steve’s work is the benchmark for ‘meditative’ / New Age IMHO.

I also enjoy some of the work I have from Jorge Reyes.
                                                                                          _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• kpodolski
                                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                                            • Jun 2006
                                                                                            • 316

A moment of silence for Montserrat Figueras who succumed to cancer late last year. A truly beautiful voice.

The music world is a lesser place without her...

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            😀
                                                                                            😂
                                                                                            🥰
                                                                                            😘
                                                                                            🤢
                                                                                            😎
                                                                                            😞
                                                                                            😡
                                                                                            👍
                                                                                            👎
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"