• Sep 2005

Van Morrison's "Moondance". Timeless...
    Bluespower

Comment

• wkhanna
      Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

The Robert Cray Band – ‘Twenty’.
      A slightly ‘refined’ brand of straight ahead blues, very musical and subtle. Think Albert Collins unplugged. I had to listen to title track #8, “Twenty” twice; something I have rarely ever done. Very powerful stuff – had both my wife and I in tears. Sounds wonderful on PewterTA’s old Cambridge Audio 640C CDp!

BTW PewterTA, where did you go to listen to Audioslave? ( I’m teasing him; he’s still waiting on his replacement CDp!)

Also, been listening to some Dave Mathews Band too, thanks to PewterTA!
      _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
      ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• bigburner
        Super Senior Member
        • May 2005

Originally posted by philly boy
        Bob Dylan's "Modern Times" Very good, even the reviewers agree.
        I have just finished listening to this for the first time, and I'm not sure. I had high expectations after reading all the reviews but it has left me a bit flat. I'll give it another go tomorrow evening after a big buttery chardonnay or two.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Camelot
          • Aug 2006

Originally posted by r100gs
          The Rippingtons "20th Anniversary", Well done! Great music and another well recorded cd by these guys.
          Hi Jay

Seems we have the same taste more or less. I just got my 20th Anniversary CD and I love it. I have all the Rippingtons CD's. Music of the Rippingtons is hard to find in the Netherlands.

During our holiday in the US I used to watch "The Weather channel". The background music they play is always smooth jazz. If you look at the website weather.com you can find the playlists they use during the year.
          You will find a.o. Nils, Joyce Cooling, Brian Hughes.

Another band worthwhile is "Dancing Fantasy".
          Please let me know if you can recommend others.

Comment

• Jesse111
            • Jul 2005

Pearl Jam No Code

Comment

• PewterTA
              • Nov 2004

Ha ha wkhanna... I was listening to it on my Pioneer DVD player -> digital signal to my 1098. Definitely showed where the DACs in the 1098 lack in imaging. That was even listening to a lot of stuff I had "memorized" as to how it sounds... But I'm extremely happy you are enjoying my CA 640!!!! That's great to hear that you are enjoying it as much as I did! How you liking Dave Matthews Band (DMB)??? Not too bad, recording on those discs is definitely reference in my book! Music's not too bad either :T :B

Now (well on the 7th) I got my CA 640 V2. So I've been working it over breaking it in. Definitely a noticeable difference in clarity and precision (on instrument placement) over the one you have now. So all in all, I'm a happy camper! Only thing that sucks is I'm listening on my B&W 602s instead of my 604s...so the lack of bass (while not terrible) is noticeable...as I disassemble my HT for re-carpeting. *sniff*

Right now listening to Dream Theater - Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence. Extremely well produced progressive rock album. Sounds absolutely amazing on the new CDP!!!
              Digital Audio makes me Happy.
              -Dan

Comment

• David Meek
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Waiting on Monday Night Football to start, I've got disc 1 of Rare Earth's Anthology playing.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• r100gs
                  • May 2005

Originally posted by Camelot
                  Hi Jay

Seems we have the same taste more or less. I just got my 20th Anniversary CD and I love it. I have all the Rippingtons CD's. Music of the Rippingtons is hard to find in the Netherlands.

During our holiday in the US I used to watch "The Weather channel". The background music they play is always smooth jazz. If you look at the website weather.com you can find the playlists they use during the year.
                  You will find a.o. Nils, Joyce Cooling, Brian Hughes.

Another band worthwhile is "Dancing Fantasy".
                  Please let me know if you can recommend others.
                  Camelot, I'll check out some of Dancing Fantasy's albums. I'm a real big fan of Acoustic Alchemy. I had the pleasure of seeing them live a couple of months back! Their latest album is titled " American/English ". It's another great album from these guys. If you run upon an album from these guys buy it. In fact buy them all. There is not a bad one in the bunch.
                  Jay

Comment

• Camelot
                    • Aug 2006

Thanks Jay, for refreshing my mind. I forgot that I have Acoustic Alchemy's "back on the case". I put it in my player again and have to admit that these guys are great. Although this CD was dated 1991 the sound quality is amazing. I'll follow your advice and going to collect more.

You are very lucky having the change to see them live. I'd checked their website and they must have been in your area around July 2006. Unfortunaltely, they didn't come to the Netherlands until now. However, some years ago I had the pleasure to see the Rippingtons live. They played at our annual "North Sea Jazz Festival".

Another great band to give a try is "Fourplay" and of course Lee Ritenour.

Camelot

Comment

• wkhanna
                      • Jan 2006

I'm a real big fan of Acoustic Alchemy. I had the pleasure of seeing them live a couple of months back!
                      I am very envious, I first started buying their music in the very early 90's, some of their albums (CD's) are considered by some as reference quality and good for evaluating equipment. Regardless, I enjoy their music immensely.
                      _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• bigburner
                        Super Senior Member
                        • May 2005

Wrong wrong wrong

Originally posted by bigburner
                        I have just finished listening to this for the first time, and I'm not sure. I had high expectations after reading all the reviews but it has left me a bit flat. I'll give it another go tomorrow evening after a big buttery chardonnay or two.
                        Bob Dylan's "Modern Times" is a great album. If tracks 1, 3, 5 and 9 don't get you up and dancing they'll at least get your toes tapping. In between those fast tracks are some lovely slow songs with great lyrics. The standard of poetry on this album is very high.

But wait there's more! The CD is accompanied by a DVD which is an absolute gem - 4 songs, 20 minutes long. As soon as it finished I had to play it again. I fact I played song 4 a third time!

A couple of small points though. You'd think from the liner notes that Bob wrote track 3 "Rollin' And Tumblin'". The last time I looked it was written by Muddy Waters. Also track 7 "Beyond The Horizon" is a 100% rip-off of an old song called "Red Sales in the Sunset" written by Jimmy Kennedy.

Don't let these little idiosyncrasies put you off buying a great CD (and DVD). It's a contender for best CD of 2006 in my book.

Nigel.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• sonicbaer
                          • Jul 2006

Paying bills now..so it's time to play something to soothe the soul.
                          I don't like to pay bills...it interferes with my toy purchases..

Secret Garden...songs from A Secret Garden

helps keep my blood pressure in check

Comment

• chinets
                            • Jun 2005

LINN SACD of Martin Taylor........Some cool Jazz!!

Fantastic recording!!!!!!!! Probably one of the best recordings I've ever heard!!

Cheers.

Comment

• bigburner
                              Super Senior Member
                              • May 2005

"Ain't Enough Comin' In" by Otis Rush.
                              Attached Files

Comment

• chinets
                                • Jun 2005

Diane Krall on SACD and SVD-A " A Multichannel Audio Heaven for me in Surround"!!
                                Vivaldi- The four Seasons In redbook and SACD to end the day!!!!!!!!! Heaven on Earth to me and YES In 2 Channel this time for old time sake!!!!!!!!
                                Cheers!!!!!!

Comment

• JudyLou
                                  • Apr 2006

Freshlyground - Nomvula. Just brilliant.

Lourens :T

Comment

• David Meek
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2000

Also track 7 "Beyond The Horizon" is a 100% rip-off of an old song called "Red Sales in the Sunset" written by Jimmy Kennedy.
                                    Yep, circa 1926, performed by Louis Armstrong. Although it's "...Sails..."

Comment

• bigburner
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • May 2005

Originally posted by David Meek
                                      Yep, circa 1926, performed by Louis Armstrong. Although it's "...Sails..."
                                      Red sales and marketing in the sunset. It doesn't quite conjure up the same image, does it?!

Comment

• bigburner
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • May 2005

"For Earth Below / Live" by Robin Trower.

2 albums on the one CD. I prefer the Live album I think. Trower is a very good guitarist.
                                        Attached Files

Comment

• David Meek
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Aug 2000

Nigel, I'm still pushing his Passion or Bridge Of Sighs.

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                                            • Sep 2001

Boccherini Clavier Quintets (complete) performed by the Ensemble Claviere on the Brilliant Classics label. Beautifully played, very well recorded. Boccherini is perhaps best known for his guitar music, but this set demonstrates that it is worth listening to just about anything he composed. Especially when the performances are this good.

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• r100gs
                                              • May 2005

"For Earth Below / Live" by Robin Trower.

2 albums on the one CD. I prefer the Live album I think. Trower is a very good guitarist.

I'm a big fan of Mr. Trower. ;x( The last time I saw him in concert was 1979! :T My only cd I have is "Bridge of Sighs." The rest of his albums I have are on cassette! Now I'm feeling real old. ops:
                                              Jay

Comment

• chinets
                                                • Jun 2005

The Eagles On DVD-A !!!!!!!! Bliss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can see the light again!!!

Comment

• Indytown
                                                  • Apr 2005

I'm a big fan of Mr. Trower. ;x( The last time I saw him in concert was 1979! :T My only cd I have is "Bridge of Sighs." The rest of his albums I have are on cassette! Now I'm feeling real old. ops:
                                                  r100gs,

Went to a Robin Tower concert in Chicago this summer at the House of Blues.
                                                  The band still has it. They look a little gray and weathered.

Indy

Comment

• PewterTA
                                                    • Nov 2004

Evanescence - The Open Door. I've been listening to it for a while through mp3s, but the CD is definitely much better. They did a phenominal job with Amy Lee's voice. It's "hauntingly" good (only word I know for it). The CD itself is decent, I've only listened through about 1 1/2 times so far and most of the tracks (while not a catchy as their first album) is growing on me.

I've also picked up Nitin Sawhney - Prophesy. Which is blowing my mind at the moment. I've never heard a CD that is so completely different track to track and uses 2ch audio at such a high level. Even from my lowly B&W 604s I'm getting complete envelopment of sound. The sound stage is the biggest I've ever heard on a disc. It's definitely the most impressive CD I have to date to show off a system.
                                                    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                                                    -Dan

Comment

• chinets
                                                      • Jun 2005

The SACD Multicahnnel series of all MOZART's work ,that I found as a set In Vienna, Austria, for the Anniversary of Mozart!!! Awsome is all I can say!!
                                                      Cheers!

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                        • Jan 2006

‘Citizen Cope’ - The Clarence Greenwood Recordings

I suppose to the ‘younger’ crowd here, this is old news.
                                                        I hit a flea market near by every other week or so, and pick up three or eight used CD’s for $3 a pop from a guy there who always seems to have something interesting. 90% of my collection is mostly jazz with some classical, and a few older rock and blues classics.

He said I might like this, and boy, was he right.

I love when I find something so different and still very musical. It’s good to always broaden your horizon, and this one does it for me.
                                                        _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• bigburner
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • May 2005

"Phantom Blues" by Taj Mahal.

It's my reference CD. I've been using it to trial the Benchmark DAC-1.
                                                          Attached Files

Comment

• JudyLou
                                                            • Apr 2006

I sort of enjoyed Dido’s songs when it played on the radio. Never bothered buying a cd of her – my daughter also has one of her cd’s – never took it to take a real listen. Then my friend and business partner got himself “Dido live at brixton academy” the DVD/CD combo and let me have a look. I must honestly say it is actually brilliant! Her stage performance is good – nice stage personality – good songs, wrote them herself – music excellent – good bass guitar in there – DTS recording reference quality, for sure – If that’s not all she’s sexy also – what a buy – really worth it.
                                                            Lourens

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                                                              • Sep 2001

On a Sony Classical SACD, an appeallingly idiomatic rendition of Late Vivaldi Concertos RV 386, 235, 296, 258, 389, 251. Played by Giuliano Carmignola on a baroque violin with the Venice Baroque Orchestra conducted by Andrea Marcon. The surround channels provide performance hall ambience and the exceptionally musical detail makes it seem like "you are there" while these inspired performers play.

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• sokoban
                                                                • Apr 2006

Let's see, I've been listening to some new recordings lately.

On Sunday I went to see the American Spiritual Ensemble. Their music director lives here in Lexington, so they come and do a performance around here about every year or so. I picked up a few of their CD's at the concert, and am really impressed. If you like African American Spirituals at all, you owe it to yourself to check them out. Most of the singers are professionally trained in opera, and the majority of them seem to hold or be completing Doctorates in music performance.

I've also been downloading a lot of Radiohead bootlegs lately. When their Bonnaroo Live DVD comes out, that will be a definite buy. They played for about 2.5 hours straight and were more or less amazing the whole way through. I quit listening to them on a regular basis a few years back, and only got back into them this year. Their live shows have gotten excellent.

The Dirty Dozen Brass Band came to town last week. I've been a fan of theirs for a long time, but took the opportunity to pick up their new CD, "What's Going On". Very good New Orleans style brass.

Comment

• bigburner
                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                  • May 2005

"All Children Believe In Heaven" by Bocephus King.
                                                                  Attached Files

Comment

• bigburner
                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                    • May 2005

"The Old Kit Bag" by Richard Thompson.

I really should know this guy but I don't because I never got into Fairport Convention (which made him well known 30 years ago). I'm impressed. Good guitar and vocals, and a nice clean recording with no electronic crap or overdubbing (not that I mind electronic crap and overdubbing; it's just nice not to have it for a change).

Richard Thompson is father to Teddy Thompson whom I mentioned a few weeks ago in this thread.
                                                                    Attached Files

Comment

• andrewinmelb
                                                                      Junior Member
                                                                      • Oct 2006

Neil Young, Dead Man: Guitar Solo 5....

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                        • Jan 2006

DVD-Audio (96kHz/24-bits MLP): "Moonlight Acoustica" - The AIX Allstar Band.

Bliss!

Now finishing off this eve listening to the CD track "The boy next door" from Stacey Kent's CD title of the same name.

Comment

• r100gs
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • May 2005

Acoustic Alchemy, "Radio Contact." Been awhile since I've played this cd. Excellent recording job. Makes my Joseph Audio's sing!
                                                                          Jay

Comment

• bigburner
                                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                                            • May 2005
                                                                            • 2649

"Roll it Down" by Ray Bonneville.
                                                                            Attached Files

Comment

• bigburner
                                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                                              • May 2005
                                                                              • 2649

Arc Angels.

Thanks to David Meek for recommending this one. I'm enjoying it.
                                                                              Attached Files

Comment

• David Meek
                                                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                • Aug 2000
                                                                                • 8938

Nigel, I'm really glad you like it! :T I certainly do.
                                                                                .

Comment

• gimpy
                                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                                  • Sep 2004
                                                                                  • 119

Sting, "Brand New Day" on dvd-A.

Frank

Comment

• bigburner
                                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                                    • May 2005
                                                                                    • 2649

I have just come back from a 3-day holiday in a bach up in the hills 2 hours drive from home. We took a whole lot of new and old music with us, which was a good decision because it rained all 3 days which meant we were able to listen to CDs and watch music DVDs for 3 whole days and nights. Luxury!

I have already commented on the best new DVD in this thread: http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthr...947#post293947

The best new CD was "Another Days Blues" by Robin Trower. Listen up Mr Meek; this album is well worth an audition!

The runners-up in the new CD category were:

2nd place - "Highway Companion" by Tom Petty.
                                                                                    3rd place - "Till the Sun Turns Black" by Ray LaMontagne.
                                                                                    Highly commended - "Last Man Standing" by Jerry Lee Lewis.
                                                                                    Attached Files

Comment

• David Meek
                                                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                      • Aug 2000
                                                                                      • 8938

Thanks for the heads-up Nigel. It's now on order from DeepDiscountCD. :T
                                                                                      .

Comment

• Armand
                                                                                        Member
                                                                                        • Nov 2005
                                                                                        • 70

Great thread and thanks for the "ummmm's"? I'll check some of the recordings out.

Tonight, I pulled out something I haven't played in quite a while and enjoyed it as usual. It's Van Morrison's The Best Of. Gloria, Jackie Wilson Said (I'm In Heaven When You Smile), all the radio hits and my favorite: Baby Please Don't Go.

Comment

• whoaru99
                                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                                          • Jul 2004
                                                                                          • 638

Nirvana - MTV Unplugged in New York...

And I think after that it will be Rush 2112.
                                                                                          There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• chinets
                                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                                            • Jun 2005
                                                                                            • 855

SACD of SEAL just awsome!!!
                                                                                            SACD of Brasilian Jazz In Bosa Nova is spectacular, and Billy Joel's Anthony's Song In DVD-A was unbelievable In Multichannel, with sound comming out of every single speaker individually, and all the time!!! WOW!!! All 5 speakers were playing different instruments and different notes!!

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"