• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gd
    • Jan 2003

Philharmonie

greg (gd to you)
    Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
    production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• wettou
      Ultra Senior Member
      • May 2006

The Look of Love: Music of Burt Bacharach [SACD] Valerie Joyce

Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

One of the all-time great albums: Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon

To be followed closely by: Pink Floyd - Piper At The Gates Of Dawn

I guess I'm in pink kind of mood today. . . .

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• David Meek
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Ooops, gotta take a digital break and go spin Dark Side on the turntable. I'd forgotten just how much I enjoy this album. Back to my regularly scheduled programming in a bit.

Comment

• ryan.devry
            • Apr 2008

For anyone who like a little blues & and a little southern rock check out one of Joe Bonamassa's CD's. I would recommend Sloe Gin. I believe it is his newest CD. Anyways he has a lot of nice guitar solo's and I think it is great.

Ryan
            -------------------------

Comment

• Thelonious Funk
              • Dec 2006

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Lizz Wright's cover of I Idolize You made me want to grab the wife and well...

Ok gang, don't know if anyone has mentioned her before, but WOW. FANTASTIC.
              Hello, my name is Eric and I am a music addict.

Comment

• gc8ej25
                • Nov 2007

Comment

• bigburner
                  Super Senior Member
                  • May 2005

Originally posted by Thelonious Funk
                  http://youtube.com/watch?v=CGEoC7QAeV0

Her album "The Orchard" is on my enormous-never-ending-constantly-being-increased wish list. I got onto that album because a couple of the Calexico guys play on it.

Should I, shouldn't I? Decisions, decisions.

Nigel.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• bigburner
                    Super Senior Member
                    • May 2005

Philippe Cohen Solal - "Moonshine Sessions" (2007)

Philippe Cohen Solal is a Frenchman who is best known as the co-founder of Gotan Project.

This excellent country album was recorded in Nashville with a raft of top musicians.

Nigel.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• r100gs
                      • May 2005

Jeff Golub, "Temptation" Smooth jazz guitar. ;x(
                      Attached Files
                      Jay

Comment

• David Meek
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

Submersed - In Due Time

Comment

• bigburner
                          Super Senior Member
                          • May 2005

North Mississippi Allstars – "Hernando" (2008 )

I've read reviews of this CD referring to it as "swamp rock", "blues rock" and "swamp blues".

Well folks, I can settle this for once and for all. It's rock, and pretty good rock at that.

Nigel.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• ShadowZA
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Jan 2006

To start the evening:

Jeff Golub - "Grand Central" (2007)

Paul Brown and friends - "White Sand" (2007)

To end the evening:

Jim Tomlinson - "Brazilian Sketches" (2002)

:T

Comment

• Hdale85
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Jan 2006

After you guys recommended Jeff Golub I picked up these 2 albums and they are excellent very much enjoying them. Nice upbeat pace to it. Also notice very nice low end on it great recordings.

Comment

• Cactus
                                • Feb 2006

Anybody here like some good kick you in the gut rock and roll???

Check out Rose Hill Drive. Three piece from Boulder, CO that sound like a blend of Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath and the Jeff Beck Group. They have toured nationally and overseas opening for such bands as the Black Crowes, Gov't Mule, Van Halen, and the Who (they are one of Pete Townsends favorite new bands)

Check them out at www.rosehilldrive.com

Debut album out now, new CD in June. See them live if you can and tell them Eric in Atlanta sent ya!

Comment

• Thelonious Funk
                                  • Dec 2006

I concur with this statement (and think I posted about them once.) Great band.

But today! Today I am listening to my newly acquired Flight of the Conchords CD!!

What can I say... It isn't the greatest music in the world, but it's very good, and it is certainly very very funny. The songs can stand on their own musically so I'll get repeat listens out of them. Go check them out!

Comment

• Spearmint
                                    • Sep 2004

Originally posted by ShadowZA

To end the evening:

Jim Tomlinson - "Brazilian Sketches" (2002)

:T
                                    Excellent choice, another favorite of mine is 'The Lyric' I got into Jim Tomlinson through getting hooked on his wife Stacey Kent.

Both sensational artists IMO.
                                    Richard

"Sometimes it is easier to ask forgiveness than to get permission... "

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Spearmint
                                      Excellent choice, another favorite of mine is 'The Lyric' I got into Jim Tomlinson through getting hooked on his wife Stacey Kent.

Both sensational artists IMO.
                                      Thank you, Spearmint. If truth be told, hardly an evening goes by without at least one of Stacey's discs being played. Can simply not get enough of her beautiful, silky, whispery voice. Have you heard her latest Blue Note offering: "Breakfast on the morning tram"?

Comment

• RebelMan
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • Mar 2005

Jeff is awesome especially in concert! For all you Jazzy folks out there that grew up with (and loving) Earth Wind and Fire, here comes another great disc from my favorite keyboardist extraordinary Brian Coulbertson...

Check out the sound bites.
                                        Attached Files
                                        "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• Spearmint
                                          • Sep 2004

Originally posted by ShadowZA
                                          Thank you, Spearmint. If truth be told, hardly an evening goes by without at least one of Stacey's discs being played. Can simply not get enough of her beautiful, silky, whispery voice. Have you heard her latest Blue Note offering: "Breakfast on the morning tram"?
                                          Yes I have that CD another great album, ordered it as soon as it was available for pre order. :B

I made up some demo disc's for auditioning gear and taking to GTG's, track 4 off 'Brazilian Sketches - So Nice' is very well received by all that listen and has enticed quite a few others to start buying Stacey Kent albums.
                                          Richard

"Sometimes it is easier to ask forgiveness than to get permission... "

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Jan 2006

Originally posted by RebelMan
                                            Jeff is awesome especially in concert! For all you Jazzy folks out there that grew up with (and loving) Earth Wind and Fire, here comes another great disc from my favorite keyboardist extraordinary Brian Coulbertson...
                                            Superb!!!
                                            I've just put this one on my "to buy" list. Thanks, RebelMan. :T

Comment

• RebelMan
                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                              • Mar 2005

You're welcome ShadowZA. It's been a long time coming.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Spearmint
                                                Yes I have that CD another great album, ordered it as soon as it was available for pre order. :B

I made up some demo disc's for auditioning gear and taking to GTG's, track 4 off 'Brazilian Sketches - So Nice' is very well received by all that listen and has enticed quite a few others to start buying Stacey Kent albums.
                                                Thanks to ShadowZA he helped me uncover whom it was that sang 'So Nice'. I first heard this track from the Usher Demo disc being handed out at CES. I LOVE IT! Led by Shadow's recommendation I procured "Brazilian Sketches" and thus added a couple of great artists (Stacey Kent and Jim Tomlinson) to my collection. :B

Comment

• bigburner
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • May 2005

http://youtube.com/watch?v=CGEoC7QAeV0

Well I did go and buy "The Orchard" CD Eric, and I'm glad I did. It got me out of a real hole late last night when I was confronted with the "what the hell do I put on now?" dilemma with new people to my house. When the latest Chuck Prophet album didn't work for some of them I reached for your new Lizz Wright album and everyone loved it (including me!)

Nigel.

Comment

• David Meek
                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                    • Aug 2000

Peter Gabriel - Us

to be followed by his - Up

Comment

• Thelonious Funk
                                                      • Dec 2006

Originally posted by bigburner
                                                      Well I did go and buy "The Orchard" CD Eric, and I'm glad I did. It got me out of a real hole late last night when I was confronted with the "what the hell do I put on now?" dilemma with new people to my house. When the latest Chuck Prophet album didn't work for some of them I reached for your new Lizz Wright album and everyone loved it (including me!)

Nigel.
                                                      When do I get to come over for a dinner party?

I'm glad you enjoyed it, and everyone else did as well.

I've rediscovered Madeleine Peyroux's Half The Perfect World, as I have borrowed it from a friend to save to the HD.

Great songs, great voice.

Comment

• bigburner
                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                        • May 2005

When do I get to come over for a dinner party?
                                                        Not until you tell me how the wedding went, whether The Beautiful Girls are really beautiful, and whether Levon Helm can still sing.

Nigel.

Comment

• Thelonious Funk
                                                          • Dec 2006

Not until you tell me how the wedding went, whether The Beautiful Girls are really beautiful, and whether Levon Helm can still sing.

Nigel.

The wedding was great. It was outdoors, and was looking a little sketchy the day before because the men on the boob tube were predicting rain.

Turned out there was no rain, and everyone had a great time. Becki for some reason walked to Ava Maria, and our recessional was For Those About To Rock by AC/DC.

The DJ was lame, and unresponsive to my requests. I asked for 50's R&B and he played Wipeout. Yet we all seemed to have a very good time. Becki's parents got very intoxicated and at the end of the night had produced some pot, which they smoked with some of my family in front of some of my coworkers. Luckily, everyone thought it was cute, not nefarious.

Becki and I left the party soon after, went to our hotel where we immediately set about writing thank you letters until dawn. (we also saved some lost puppies and kittens and found them homes, nothing scandalous I swear.)

The next morning, up at 5 am, and to the airport. We arrived in Chicago early, the sun was shinning and the weather was crisp. (They had predicted rain there too... Seems someone wanted us to enjoy ourselves.)

We stayed at a place called The Flemish House which is a B&B without the hassle of having to sit every morning with the owners and make polite conversation. Basically you have a apartment in the Gold Coast with a stocked breakfast bar in the kitchen every morning. It is THE place to stay in the city, walking distance to some of the most famous places to shop and eat in the city. (68 E. Cedar St, if anyone wants to google it.)

We were less than a block from Michigan and the start of the Magnificent Mile so of course we walked that and Becki shopped. We went to the Art Institute while the Hopper exhibit was there, we walked the parks... It was beautiful.

At night we did a few things. Second City was great fun. The show was No Country For Old White Men.

Schubas, a bottling plant turned bar, was where we saw Matt Jennings, The Virginia Coalition, and The Beautiful Girls. Each had their good points, and the room was fantastic, but overall, I wanted something else.

I talked to some people outside about Jazz Clubs in the area and heard more than once that the Green Mill was a place to check out, so we hopped into a cab and did just that.

GO TO THE GREEN MILL IF YOU EVER FIND YOURSELF IN CHICAGO.

An old Al Capone hangout, now serving up nightly jazz, GOOD jazz. We stumbled in on a trio consisting of a guitarist, drummer, and Hammond B3 Organ. I was highly impressed with how tight they played and during a set break got the chance to talk with the organ player. I stood by him at the bar while getting Becki a drink, and he thought I was someone else, as he was blind and I was just standing beside him. I introduced myself, he told me not to scare him like that and then we settled into a nice conversation about influences and what other clubs to check out in town. A very nice man, a very good band, and a very cool bar.

At the end of the trip we flew down to Fort Myers, jumped in the car, and drove 5 hours north to Live Oak for the Wanee Festival. Friday and Saturday were filled with music, most of it good, some of it great. Levon Helms was the absolute highlight of the weekend, coming on stage with a an army of musicians. Brass, accordions, backup singers, fiddle, organ, you name it, he had it. They opened the set with Ophelia which just happens to be my favorite song from The Band, and it just got better and better. The man can still sing, albeit differently than he did before.

I think I've answered your questions and then some. I'll bring the wine to the dinner party.

Also added some pictures, one of the wedding at my parents house, one of Becki in the Green Mill, and one of the millennium ball in downtown Chicago.
                                                          Attached Files

Comment

• bigburner
                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                            • May 2005

Thanks Eric. That's a cool weekend. Who did the organ player think you were? Where are you in the wedding photo? Questions questions.

If it helps, I'm the guy lying on the beach down there at Byron Bay.

Nigel.
                                                            Attached Files

Comment

• David Meek
                                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                                              • Aug 2000

If it helps, I'm the guy lying on the beach down there at Byron Bay.
                                                              You mean that possibly auto-shaped shadow waaaaaay down there? :B

Erik that sounds like a great time through-and-through. :T Congratulations again.

Comment

• David Meek
                                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                                • Aug 2000

Sorry got a bit off-topic there....

This is a blind-buy off of a recommendation from a co-worker. Back Door Slam is a power trio out of England with a definite blues bent. I'm through 7 tracks off of the album Roll Away and none have disappointed me. Think Jonny Lang meets early Eric Clapton with a dash of Robin Trower thrown in. Vocals are very good also - not the whiskey growl of an old New Orleans/Chicago master, but a bit more harmonic. Overall, it's good stuff so far.

Comment

• bigburner
                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                  • May 2005

Green On Red - "Gas Food Lodging"

I've been wanging on about Chuck Prophet recently. Green on Red is the band Chuck was playing in back in 1985.

Nigel.
                                                                  Attached Files

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                                    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                                                                    • Jan 2006

Also, as a desperate plea to any of you...

One of the CD's I lost, which I am scared I might never be able to replace was a burn off of a record.

For me, this was the best Brubeck album I had ever heard. Gerry Mulligan and the Dave Brubeck Trio, Blues Roots.

If anyone has a copy or the record and can make me a copy, I'd be very grateful.
                                                                    I just picked up a used copy of this LP this weekend, (near mint) I will see what Dan and I can do. He is got a project brewing to help me make digital copies of my vinyl.

It will be a wedding gift for you guys :T

And Yes, it is Fantastic!
                                                                    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                                                                    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• wettou
                                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                                      • May 2006

Nice did you ever listen to this ? Really cool bass

On an other note:

A complete list of all SA-CD titles worldwide with reviews, news and more.
                                                                      Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Thelonious Funk
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Dec 2006

Originally posted by wkhanna
                                                                        I just picked up a used copy of this LP this weekend, (near mint) I will see what Dan and I can do. He is got a project brewing to help me make digital copies of my vinyl.

I'm really glad you like the album!

Comment

• bigburner
                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                          • May 2005
                                                                          • 2649

Originally posted by wkhanna

If I remarried would I qualify for a copy?

Comment

• bigburner
                                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                                            • May 2005
                                                                            • 2649

The Raconteurs - "Consolers Of The Lonely"

This is their latest album. It's my second listen to it. Not bad. It will get played again.

Nigel.
                                                                            Attached Files

Comment

• Alloroc
                                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                                              • Dec 2005
                                                                              • 2580

The new one from Portishead 'Third'.

Don't buy if you are expecting another 'Dummy'!

It's one of the darkest albums I've heard this year. But it's growing on me...
                                                                              Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                                                Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                • Jan 2006
                                                                                • 5673

If I remarried would I qualify for a copy?
                                                                                Only if it’s my wife, please! 8O
                                                                                _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                                                                                ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                  • Jan 2006
                                                                                  • 16075

I don't think this is what you meant Bill but it sounds as though you want him to marry your wife

Comment

• alive&amplified
                                                                                    Junior Member
                                                                                    • May 2008
                                                                                    • 15

Jamiroquai: Live in Firenze, Italy 1993

It's one of their earlier gigs with some great jams, so it consists of the original (much funkier) band. Today's sound is still punchy, but it's more of a tight groove than jazz funk.

Comment

• 2Below
                                                                                      Junior Member
                                                                                      • Jan 2007
                                                                                      • 12

Little Jimmy King - Something Inside of Me.

A blues guitar virtuoso who dies at the young age of 34 from a heart attack. If you're a blues fan give it a listen.

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                                                                                        Moderator
                                                                                        • Sep 2001
                                                                                        • 3161

Follies Highlights from the 1971 Original Broadway Cast

Although this isn't a complete recording of the entire show, it has enough of its great music to let the electricity of the original cast's performance shine through. Sondheim has done a lot of memorable work, but not much of it surpasses his effort on this one. The sound is remarkably clean and lively, once again giving the lie to the myth that the only good recordings have been engineered since the advent of high def.

Highly recommneded.

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• bigburner
                                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                                          • May 2005
                                                                                          • 2649

"Is the Actor Happy?" by Vic Chesnutt

I bought this CD for my wife on Mother's Day after seeing Vic Chesnutt perform on the wonderful Cowboy Junkies DVD that I've mentioned in other posts.

It's a delightful album - very thoughtful words, pleasant melodies and high quality production values.

Vic is a paraplegic who was injured in a car accident when he was 18. He writes and sings folk & alternative pop / rock material.

This is Vic's fourth album, recorded in 1995. He has recorded 11 albums in total, starting in 1990, with the most recent album released in 2007.

Nigel.
                                                                                          Attached Files

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                                                            • Jan 2006
                                                                                            • 1098

Paul Brown - "The City"

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"