X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bigburner
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2005

Robin Trower - "Bridge of Sighs"

Such a good album - probably Robin Trower's best work.
    Attached Files

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Oh yeah. ;x(

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• r100gs
        • May 2005

Originally posted by bigburner

A classic for sure.
        Jay

Comment

• bigburner
          Super Senior Member
          • May 2005

Joe Bonamassa - "Blues Deluxe" (Audio CD - 2003)

Is it my imagination or is this a very good album?

First listen though...
          Attached Files

Comment

• bigburner
            Super Senior Member
            • May 2005

Miles Davis - "Sketches of Spain"

The perfect album for a gloomy Sunday morning.
            Attached Files

Comment

• bigburner
              Super Senior Member
              • May 2005

Tord Gustavsen Trio - "Changing Places"

Continuing the Sunday morning jazz theme...

Piano, double bass, drums. Very cool.
              Attached Files

Comment

• eddiespaghetti
                • Sep 2006

Genesis for two Grand Pianos

A coworker lent me his copy, and I thought it would be pure crap. I was wrong. It is 2 guys (Yngve Guddal and Roger Matte), two pianos and a handful of Genesis songs. The arrangements and performances are both excellent.

There's also a volume 2.

Comment

• Alaric
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Jan 2006

Ditto. Although the cover is awfully reminiscent of Manfred Mann's ' The Roaring Silence
                  Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                  Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                  Schiit Modi 3
                  Marantz CD5005
                  Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• David Meek
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Pink Floyd - The Division Bell

Comment

• Alaric
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Jan 2006

Derek Trucks Band - “Joyful Noise” (Audio CD - 2002)

The most descriptive word for this album is *eclectic. It includes blues, soul, Eastern music, and even jazz (in particular track 9 “Lookout 31” which reminded me that I gave up liking some styles of jazz a long time ago). That slightly negative comment has nothing to do with the quality of the songs or the musicianship on this album, which are both sublime, including track 9!

Track 8 “Baby, You're Right”, featuring his wife Susan Tedeschi singing, is a gem among many. Track 3 “Home In Your Heart” and Track 6 “Like Anyone Else” feature Solomon Burke who I rate as the best soul (and sometimes country) singer alive.

Derek has three jobs: he’s the guitarist in the Allman Brothers Band, he’s been on tour with Eric Clapton as second guitarist for the past year (playing mainly slide guitar), and he has his own band who are responsible for this album. He has excelled in all three jobs. In between he has a wife and two young children, which must have made his time on the road quite difficult at times. We are the benefactors of Derek’s hard work.

I rated “The Derek Trucks Band - Songlines Live!” (2006) just about the best DVD I saw last year. The songs on that DVD are eclectic too.

Make no mistake – Derek Trucks is a star and the sooner you chaps get onto him the better. Heavy hitting musicians want to be near him and so do I.

Nigel.

*eclectic – a mixture of styles; composed of material gathered from various sources

Saw Derek Trucks in Orlando in 1990 or 1991 at The Junkyard. Phenomenal talent-and he was 13 at the time. I have a cassette of his real early work somewhere. When the band did Statesboro Blues , Derek was left onstage (solo) for 20 minutes. Great show.
                      Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                      Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                      Schiit Modi 3
                      Marantz CD5005
                      Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• bigburner
                        Super Senior Member
                        • May 2005

Hammond Gamble - "Recollection"

Before that it was Rosanne Cash - "Black Cadillac"
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                          • Sep 2001

Ian & Sylvia "Greatest Hits"... A fun blast from the past reprising the career of a 1960s-era folk duo that originated a number of songs made more famous by other performers who covered them, including "Early Morning Rain" (Peter, Paul and Mary), "You Were On My Mind" (We Five) and "Someday Soon" (Judy Collins). They are both still performing these days, but not together.

Their performances of their own songs are engaging, but it is difficult to ignore the more familiar renditions still "playing in your head" when you hear these tracks by Ian & Sylvia. On the other hand, they make a few songs by others (such as Bob Dylan's "Mighty Quinn") sound like their own material, making me have to look at the album liner notes to know for sure. :>)

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• bigburner
                            Super Senior Member
                            • May 2005

Originally posted by David Meek
                            Nigel, if you like Derek Trucks then there's a good chance you'll like the band Gov't Mule. It's a "power trio" made up of guitarist Warren Haynes, bassist Allen Woody (both of Allman Brothers fame) and drummer Matt Abts.
                            David, I'm really enjoying Warren Haynes' guitar playing on the Allman Brothers Beacon Theatre DVD. I never realised he was so good.

Nigel.

Comment

• David Meek
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2000

Neither did I until I brought my first Gov't Mule disc home. He is pretty impressive isn't he?

Comment

• wkhanna
                                Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                                • Jan 2006

'The Best of the Alan Parsons Project'

A compilation of Alan's work form 1977 to 1983.
                                NOTE: I typically stay FAR, FAR away from any CD that has 'Best Of' and/or "Greatest Hits' anywhere in its title'

None the less, It's one of those albums that makes you say 'I forgot all about these songs, but heard them all the time when I was a kid'.

It's a good listen, brings back fond memories and is good music to boot.
                                He was ahead of his time, IMHO.

A 'fun' CD for us 'Baby Boomers'.

Anybody rember 'Phychobabble' or 'I Wouldn't Like to be Like You'?
                                _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                                ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Chris D
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Dec 2000

Really? Interesting. I very much enjoy several albums that I have that are the "best of" or "greatest hits". Along the same lines, I like some of the live albums groups put out, although certainly not all.

You're right, there's been some good Alan Parsons stuff over the years, although he was mostly ahead of my time. (then again, I grew up on Neil Diamond, and still very much enjoy his stuff)
                                  CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                                  - Pleasantville

Comment

• Thelonious Funk
                                    • Dec 2006

Morphine - Cure For Pain

All around this has to be in my top 20 records, it is always a pleasure to hear this.

For those who may not have heard of them, Morphine was a trio featuring a Bass, Drums, and a Saxophone that focused on minimalist songs with intelligent lyrics.

Mark Sandman, the band's frontman, died on stage of a heart attack in (I think) Italy.

The music ranges from slow swining to brash declarations but is truly in a category of it's own. I cannot do it justice, but urge everyone to check out a song or two.
                                    Hello, my name is Eric and I am a music addict.

Comment

• wkhanna
                                      • Jan 2006

wow!!!!
                                      That sounds right up my alley, TFunk!
                                      _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Thelonious Funk
                                        • Dec 2006

The Five Blind Boys of Alabama - Higher Ground

This CD is a delight to hear on a good setup. If you don't know the story of the group you should check them out here: http://www.blindboys.com/about/

The CD has a deep rich sound. Even if you're like me, and do not connect with the message of Gospel music, you can enjoy it strictly for the enthusiasm of the performances and warmth of the voices.

At least that's my thought on it.

Comment

• Thelonious Funk
                                          • Dec 2006

Ellen Mcllwaine - Up From The Skies (The Polydor Years)

My mother asked me to find this for her as a Christmas gift one year. I had never heard of her or her songs, but picked up two copies of the CD as my mom was very convincing.

She was right. This is a singer/song writer from the late sixties and early seventies that should have gotten just as much attention as Carly Simon or Joni Mitchell. The only difference is that I like Ellen Mcllwaine.

She's got a strong, bluesy, distinct voice. Anyone else heard this album? I'd like to hear your opinions.

Comment

• dknightd
                                            • Mar 2006

Burning spear - Jah Kingdom. Great tunes

Comment

• David Meek
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Aug 2000

Frankie Goes To Hollywood - Welcome To The Pleasuredome

Comment

• Thelonious Funk
                                                • Dec 2006

I love me some Franti... good pick.

OK METAL HEADS... you have to check this link out... a capella metal from Germany....

Join us on Facebook! (http://www.facebook.com/vancantoband)Van Canto The Mission(C) 2007 van canto

Comment

• Chris D
                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                  • Dec 2000

Wow, I like! Thanks for the link.
                                                  CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                                                  - Pleasantville

Comment

• chinets
                                                    • Jun 2005

Yes, Thanks for the Link!! Very different type of heavy metal!!
                                                    Unique!! Comes to mind!!
                                                    Cheers

Comment

• Club1820
                                                      • Jan 2006

Originally posted by David Meek
                                                      Frankie Goes To Hollywood - Welcome To The Pleasuredome

Wow! I never that I would see that album posted on this forum! The power of Love - absolutely a gem. This whole album (If you can get by "Relax" and the overkill of that track way back in the 80's) is great.

Even the album art is great.

Frankie says....
                                                      Rotel 1068, Rotel 1060, Rotel 1055, Rotel 1095, Rotel 956, Rotel RLC-1040, M&K VX-860 Sub, Whatmough M30s, Squeezebox 3

Comment

• Club1820
                                                        • Jan 2006

Listening to Earth, Wind, & Fire - Illumination 2005 as I type this.

Pretty good album. I saw them in concert a couple of months ago. I almost cried! Brought back memories of my childhood in the 70's and my older brother.

Phillip Bailey held that note on "The Reasons" for an incredible amount of time. Better than the version on their original Live Gratitude album from the 70's. He sounded amazing!

Never thought I would get to see them live.
                                                        Rotel 1068, Rotel 1060, Rotel 1055, Rotel 1095, Rotel 956, Rotel RLC-1040, M&K VX-860 Sub, Whatmough M30s, Squeezebox 3

Comment

• Alloroc
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Thelonious Funk
                                                          The Five Blind Boys of Alabama - Higher Ground

This CD is a delight to hear on a good setup. If you don't know the story of the group you should check them out here: http://www.blindboys.com/about/

The CD has a deep rich sound. Even if you're like me, and do not connect with the message of Gospel music, you can enjoy it strictly for the enthusiasm of the performances and warmth of the voices.

At least that's my thought on it.
                                                          I saw them for the first time in Dublin in 1998 - they played Whelans for those interested. They've been back many times since - playing bigger venues, but the Whelans gig was special - a small venue with a great sound.

And agreed, Higher Ground is fantastic....

V.
                                                          Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                            • Jan 2006

Charlie Byrd - ‘Byrd by the Sea

As a guitarist who had mastered many styles of guitar from classical (tutoring under Segovia himself) to bossa nova, folk, blues and mainstream Jazz, this live set of Charlie’s from a 1974 club gig, displays a little sampling of most all forms of music. Light enough to be ambiance, but if you sit and ‘listen’, sophisticated (obviously the Segovia influence) enough to stand up to critical evaluation.

I just picked it up today at the exchange store for $7. NO regrets!
                                                            _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                              • Mar 2005

Latest Album, some damn good beats and sounds great! One of the best "quality" mixed discs I have. Props to Timbaland.
                                                              B&W

Comment

• Thelonious Funk
                                                                • Dec 2006

The Charles River Valley Boys - Beatle Country

Great bluegrass chops, great Beatles covers. Baby's in Black is a standout for me. It's like Hayseed Dixie, but they take themselves more seriously and they did it in the 60's.

I've Just Seen A Face
                                                                Baby's In Black
                                                                I Feel Fine
                                                                Yellow Submarine
                                                                Ticket To Ride
                                                                And Your Bird Can Sing
                                                                What Goes On
                                                                Norwegian Wood
                                                                Paperback Writer
                                                                She's a Woman
                                                                I Saw Her Standing There
                                                                Help!

If you havn't heard Hayseed Dixie, they're cover of Feel Like Makin' Love is a treat. They've done a whole album devoted to Kiss and AC/DC as well.

Comment

• Thelonious Funk
                                                                  • Dec 2006

Rose Hill Drive - Rose Hill Drive

Miss that 70's hard rock feel? Back when a guitar solo could be longer than 15 seconds? When lyrics had to be read to be truly understood because the singer was in desperate competition with the rest of the band to be the rockin-est mofo on the record?

This would be for you. It's hard rock of the early 70's ilk. Not prog, not metal, just rock.

Oh and if they ever come to your town, one of the loudest shows you will ever see.

Comment

• sonicbaer
                                                                    • Jul 2006

moonrise
                                                                    by David Friedman

Comment

• eddiespaghetti
                                                                      • Sep 2006

Bela Fleck Little Worlds (Disc 3)

Comment

• David Meek
                                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                                        • Aug 2000

Little Feat - Time Loves A Hero

Hi Roller
                                                                        Time Loves a Hero
                                                                        Rocket in My pocket
                                                                        Day at the Dog Races
                                                                        Old Folks Boogie
                                                                        Red Streamliner
                                                                        New Delhi Freight Train
                                                                        Keepin' Up with the Jonses

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                                          • Jan 2006
                                                                          • 5673

Wow!!!
                                                                          ‘Little Feet’!! Now I know I should have more memories than I do of listening to their music, but hey, it was the early seventies, and I was a participant!

At the moment, OTTMAR LIEBERT & Luna Negra - Solo Parar Ti Sony/EPIC 1992
                                                                          Carlos Santana contributed on the electric guitar in selected songs on this album supporting Ottmar’s classic flameco.
                                                                          _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Club1820
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Jan 2006
                                                                            • 269

Ottmar Liebart - anything of his is great. Saw him live at the Park West in Chicago about 10 years ago. Great Show.

Comment

• r100gs
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • May 2005
                                                                              • 321

Originally posted by Club1820
                                                                              Ottmar Liebart - anything of his is great. Saw him live at the Park West in Chicago about 10 years ago. Great Show.
                                                                              I have to agree with comment. ;x(
                                                                              Jay

Comment

• Alloroc
                                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                                • Dec 2005
                                                                                • 2580

I'm listening to the new Ben Taylor album - "Another run around the sun".

Like his dad (James), he has a great voice - smooth, gentle and breezy but slightly more raw and edgy. He also has both his parent's ability to pen some very catchy songs.

Overall a very cool album and great for the summer.
                                                                                Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• bigburner
                                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                                  • May 2005
                                                                                  • 2649

Jeff Beck - Official Bootleg USA '06

This CD was lifted directly from the sound desk so it has a nice raw feel. It's not an album for the fainthearted - complex rhythms and an abundance of guitar. Some tracks have an Eastern flavour which reminded me of Derek Trucks.
                                                                                  Attached Files

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                                                                                    Moderator
                                                                                    • Sep 2001
                                                                                    • 3161

Thuille Piano Quintets
                                                                                    Two fascinating works for string quartet and piano by Ludwig Thuille (1861 - 1907), The Piano Quarter in E flat Op 20 (1901) and Piano Quintet in G minor both played by the Falk Quartet with Tomer Lev on the piano.

The composer has been compared to Schumann and Brahms and these works definitely are late-Romantic, with sweeping melodies and almost orchestral sounding crescendos interspersed with hauntingly introspective solo passages, with the theme handed off instrument to instrument, then picked up by the ensemble in subtle interplay.

This is a digitally recorded ASV CD DCA 1171. Although it is available online, Houston is fortunate to have a local CD shop, Joel's Classical, that carries items like this, and that is where I bought this one.

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• David Meek
                                                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                      • Aug 2000
                                                                                      • 8938

Nice recommendations Burke 'n WK. I've just ordered both - thanks.
                                                                                      .

Comment

• luvdozer
                                                                                        Junior Member
                                                                                        • Apr 2007
                                                                                        • 12

Originally posted by Alloroc
                                                                                        I'm listening to the new Ben Taylor album - "Another run around the sun".

Like his dad (James), he has a great voice - smooth, gentle and breezy but slightly more raw and edgy. He also has both his parent's ability to pen some very catchy songs.

Overall a very cool album and great for the summer.
                                                                                        the music might be good, but that album cover ranks as an 8 on the unintentional comedy scale

Comment

• luvdozer
                                                                                          Junior Member
                                                                                          • Apr 2007
                                                                                          • 12

People in Planes - As far as the eye can see
                                                                                          Attached Files

Comment

• luvdozer
                                                                                            Junior Member
                                                                                            • Apr 2007
                                                                                            • 12

Kaiser Chiefs - Yours Truly Angry Mob
                                                                                            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"