X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Match Maker?

Would you guys expect a significant SQ mismatch if I coupled a RB-1050 for rear surround to my two RB-980BX's that are bridged for my front mains?

Probably a moot point since speakers are a mismatch. Rears are Kef book shelf (for now) and mains are Signet SL280B (if anybody even remembers them?!?! 2 way ported, slightly, up-front, great vocal and timbre, but with surprising LF extension for their size).

TIA
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

I'd say the mismatched speakers would be a much higher concern than the amps. So if your not worried about them, I wouldn't worry about the amps
    Jason

Comment

• gd
      • Jan 2003

Originally posted by wkhanna
      Probably a moot point since speakers are a mismatch.
      Yup... you answered your own question.

So, no center speaker?
      greg (gd to you)
      Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
      production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• gd
        • Jan 2003

Originally posted by gd
        So, no center speaker?
        Pursuant to that, look what I ran across on Audiogon:

That RB993 is hard to come by, and desirable... a center channel is a must, if only for 5.1 movies... the 993 + your bridged 980s would be a no-apologies 5-channel amplication setup good for the long haul, regardless of how your speakers change down the road.
        greg (gd to you)
        Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
        production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• wkhanna
          Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

Originally posted by gd
          That RB993 is hard to come by, and desirable... a center channel is a must, if only for 5.1 movies... the 993 + your bridged 980s would be a no-apologies 5-channel amplication setup good for the long haul, regardless of how your speakers change down the road.
          My thoughts exactly - Beautiful solution! Yes, the 993 is rare to see, I almost forgot about it!
          I am pursuing a sub next, as you know, then three channels to power RS and Center.

Then a center speaker.

By the end of the year, I plan to have my Signets at the rear, and my final purchase will be the best speakers I find in $1.5K range. I’ve tried to prioritize my purchases based on the fact that during this entire process, I want to maintain my two-channel music performance. Hence the sub is next on the list, but good buys on amps come along often and I don’t want to miss a deal just cuz it takes me a little out of sequence.

Maybe I’m going about it all wrong, but if just went out and got some Dali’s, ML’s, or B&K’s, now, I might just stop right then a there and forget all about HT!
          _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
          ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"