X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Victor
    • Apr 2002

Level mismatch with 3-way dipole using RD-75

Hello All,

I have been living with my dipole 3-way system for a while now and it does sound good to me. I did post pictures a while ago. Each channel of my system consist of an RD-75 in its own baffle (400 Hz and up), 4 units of Scan Speak 25W58565 in a narrow 14-inch baffle (70-400 Hz) for the mid-range and a pair of Phoenix W-frame woofers (four 12-inch Peerless drivers). The mid drivers ‘sit’ on top of the stacked woofers.

For EQ I am using a combination of two Behringer boxes, the DEQ2496 and DCX2496 along with a separate DIY analog processor which handles all dipole EQ. The DEQ2496 does the RTA duties and the DCX2496 does all the filtering (I am using L-R 4th order), and all the notch filters and the delays. I had to use a separate analog processor, because the DCX2496 simply does not have the headroom and I needed around 30 dB at 10 Hz to EQ the dipole woofers along. Since the DCX and the DEQ are connected digitally and my CD Player uses SPDI/F connection to the DEQ2496, I only have one D/A conversion. I have built a motorized volume control using a pair of motorized 4-gand Alps Blue potentiometers.

Here is the issue I am trying to address now, - I have an efficiency mismatch between the RD-75 and the midrange array. The 4 units in my midrange array of Scan Speak 25W58565 are wired in parallel-series fashion. That is two drivers are wired in parallel and then two parallel combinations are connected in series. It appears that the mids are about 10 dB louder then the RD-75. Now, I can correct this with DCX2496, but I do not want to loose the resolution as a result of 10 dB level reduction. I can also introduce an additional resistor-divider network just before the analog dipole EQ circuit. Well, as is all my dipole EQ circuits have about 25 dB attenuators (voltage dividers) built–in.

I need to do that in order to drop the output voltage of the DCX2496. It is commonly known that in order for the digital crossover to function at its best it needs the maximum full scale input voltage. For the DCX2496 it is 22 dB or about 12 Volts. Since the DCX is a unity gain device I have this 12-volts peaks appearing at the output. Therefore I had to use voltage dividers to bring the voltage down before the dipole EQ analog circuit, which is a common low-pass shelving filter.

Another solution, I suppose, is to rewire the midrange array into the series combination of drivers. I suppose this will give me a 32 Ohm load and the consequent decrease in efficiency. Well, I need an advice here, what to do, i.e. what is the best way to bring the efficiency of the midrange in line with the efficiency of the RD-75?

Thanks,
    Victor
    Last edited by Victor; 05 May 2004, 22:27 Wednesday.
  • Davey
    • Jan 2003

I'm not sure what the problem is with the resistor divider you're using....but if you want something more expensive you could use a transformer like the Jensen. This will give you a 12db reduction and perform a balanced to unbalanced conversion.

Davey.

Comment

• Paul Ebert
      • May 2004

DCX and DEQ question

Victor,

I'm confused about your comment about there only being one conversion. My understanding is that the DCX only has analog inputs and outputs. I can't figure out how you can use the two devices and only have one conversion. Could you please elaborate on how you have these connected?

Thanks.

Paul Ebert

Comment

• Victor
        • Apr 2002

Paul,

You see, the DEQ2496 is an extremely versatile machine. It has an optical SPDI/F input and output. It also has an AESBU input and output on XLR jacks. So, I connect an optical SPDI/F output of my CD Player into the SPDI/F optical input on DEQ2496. The DCX and the DEQ are then connected ‘digitally’ using the AESBU interface. The input ‘B’ on DCX2496 also doubles as a digital AESBU input. This way I only get one D/A conversion in the signal chain.

The two units, the DCX and the DEQ, work together very well. I use the DEQ2496 for the RTA and the DCX2496 for the most of the crossover functions I need for my dipoles.

Victor

Comment

• Paul Ebert
          • May 2004

Ah, yes. I had forgotten about the AESBU input on the DCX.

Too bad they don't provide a digital output of some sort that could be fed into a digital amp.

Thanks for the explanation.

Paul

Comment

• skvinson
            • Dec 2002

Victor,

Your speakers SOUND like they are very interesting ... I cannot get your original pictures, from your post "New system is ready! Take a look" to load. Anyway you (or someone else) can fix that?? I'd love to see them.

Comment

• Victor
              • Apr 2002

skvinson,

Yes, the links had expired a while ago. I e-mailed a few pictures to ThomasW, hopefully he will post them in the gallery.

I will also try to find a server somewhere that can take more then 600kB files and I will post the pictures there and will link them to htguide.com

I am still doing the electronics for my dipoles, so they are not ready for prime time. However, I had a chance to listen to a $30k (Can.) BW Nautilus that a local High End dealer has in the show room and I must tell you that my imperfectly tweaked dipoles sound better, - naturally, no bias here...

Regards,
              Victor

Comment

• ThomasW
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Here's an pic of Victor's speakers. This picture has been added to the B&G gallery pages

Victor, if you have a rear view or views of the separate modules send them to me....

Click image for larger version

Name:	VictorFront.jpg
Views:	1241
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	840641
                Last edited by theSven; 23 July 2023, 08:40 Sunday. Reason: Update image location

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• skvinson
                  • Dec 2002

Thanks! As everyone said in the original post, those are beautiful speakers!

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"