X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mdrew
    • Feb 2006

Wharfendale Opus?

Greetings.

While searching the net for info on the Wharfendale’s Opus line, this sight came up……and not many more. The posts were about a year old, but hopefully the users that own Opus are still around.

I’m very interested in buy a set of these speakers for a dedicated two channel system. I have not ever heard them, and do not have that option. Long story……

I have an opportunity to pick up one of two sets at what I think is a good price. I can either get the Opus 1’s in Rosewood, or the Opus 3’s in Maple. They are out of Opus 2’s. This store is having a clearance sale on the Opus line.

Seams as if Opus is soon to be non existent in the US. I don’t know why.
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

If your searching using 'Wharfendale', then your problem is you're misspelling the name of the company....it's 'Wharfedale'. Now do a google search and see all the hits....:wink:

They're a well respected British company. My first ever loudspeakers 40 yrs ago were Wharfedale bookshelves. The old school British companies just don't get much press on this side of the pond primarily because they're overshadowed by B&W. That's too bad because Wharfedale continues to make very good loudspeakers. Note that they do have the stereotypic 'British' sonic signature....

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• mdrew
      • Feb 2006

LOL…..

I can’t spell worth a darn, plus this dysfunctional wireless keyboard only adds to my frustration. But the good news is that I misspelled it here only and didn’t while searching.

Bad news is that there still is not many hits that are worth a darn on the Opus line. If you know of any reviews on that line, please let me know. I’ve got no less than 10 hours searching the net for info on these speakers. This sight came up the most, with actual owners of the Opus 2 and 3.

Buying a set without hearing them is somewhat uncomfortable. I have a slew of Axiom stuff, but their free shipping and customer service gave me a great deal of comfort.

…….Mike

Comment

• Alaric
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Jan 2006

I followed ThomasW's link and clicked on the first link on the page-right to Wharfedale's Opus line.
        Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
        Marantz PM-KI Pearl
        Schiit Modi 3
        Marantz CD5005
        Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• NMyTree
          • May 2004

Hi Michael. Tony here.

The Wharfedale Opus 2 are wonderful speakers and I love the hell out of mine. In fact, I love them so much that I'm getting a second pair in glossy Rosewood for my office.

I haven't heard anything regarding the Opus series no longer being available in the USA. After a brief discussion with my Wharfedale dealer, it seems Wharfedale is moving their US distribution facility to California. Pure speculation on my part, but I'm guessing Wharfedale is probably clearing out it's current stock and preparing for new stock. I know they have a new update to the Evolution series, called the Evolution 2, to be released this year....somtime. Maybe they have an update to the Opus series, or as I said earlier, they may be just preparing for new stock. I know they have a new finish for the Opus and Evolution 2 series (Cherry) coming up. Whether the new finish will be available in the US, remains to be seen.

Having said that, I suppose anything is possible. It's not like I have my finger on the pulse of what Wharfedale is doing...lol.

One thing you should know about the Opus 2, while Wharfedale shows the frequency range to be 33hz-44khz, the Opus 2 can go as low as 24hz for short bursts of time. But I wouldn't suggest playing a 24hz frequency signal for any extended period of time, as it could damage the driver.

The Opus 2 goes lower than the rated 33hz, that's for sure.
          Tony

Comment

• mdrew
            • Feb 2006

Tony,

Thanks for all your help yesterday. It was a pleasure speaking with you. Greg will be checking with his supplier tomorrow for availability. Hopefully, the Opus 2’s (piano rosewood) will be proudly sitting in my home in week or so.

Interestingly, I find one on-line dealer had listed “Pacific Evolution Opus” – available soon” on their web sight.

I forgot to ask you earlier, what size binding posts do your Opus 2’s have? I have some pretty good cables with ¼” spade connectors already. My Axioms have small flat spots on the posts. Do yours? I’d hate to have to modify these gold plated cables.

Comment

• NMyTree
              • May 2004

Hi Michael.

You're welcome.

Thank you for the kind words. I enjoyed the coversation! :T

The binding posts on the Opus series are very accommodating to just about all terminating options, which includes spades (1/4 - 3/4 inches), Banana Plugs, bare wire and a few others.

All you have to do is unscrew the head of the plugs and you'll see how they are designed and where your spades will fit best. If you have any problems, let me know. But I don't think you will.

By any chace, do you have the link to that webpage that stated “Pacific Evolution Opus– available soon”?

I have a feeling I know what website that is. I suspect that's an outdated webpage.

Is it this one? http://www.sightsandsoundsva.com/category/speakers.htm

If that's the same page you're referring to, they've had that up for over three years :rofl: When I first started researching the Wharfedale Opus series, I came across that webpage. I kept checking back......for almost two years, even after purchasing and receiving my Opus 2, and they, to this very day, have not updated the page :lol:

When the Opus Series was initially slated for release and Wharfedale started marketing them, they were initially going to market them as an extention of the Pacific Evolution line. But because the Opus Series is a completely different and superior series line, than the Pacific Evolution; they decided to just call it the Wharfedale Opus Series.

This did cause some confusion. To further the confusion, in Europe, Wharfedale had named the Opus 1, Opus 2 and Opus 3, differently. They were being marketed as the Pacific Evolution Opus 50, 60 and 70, respectfully.

They have for a few years now, been simply referring to them as the Opus 1, 2 and 3.

I hope they (the Opus 2) are in stock, for your sake and also because I'm just about ready to order another pair in the Rosewood gloss, for my office. :B

I would love to hear your thougths and opinions on the Opus 2, when you have the time to share. Feel free to contact me here, through e-mail or give a ringy-dingy 8) I love talking about the gear....and especially the Wharfedale Opus 2.
              Tony

Comment

• mdrew
                • Feb 2006

Thanks for the info. And yes, that is the sight I was refering to.

Still haven't heard from Greg on the speakers. I'll give him another day before I nag him.

I want my new speakers.................here...................no w...............

Comment

• NMyTree
                  • May 2004

You'll be happy to know I just placed my order for the Wharfedale Opus 2, in the Rosewood gloss finish, for my office 8) 8)

Greg usually calls me to let me know that he has received confirmation of my order being shipped, from Wharfedale......to his place. But sometimes he gets very busy with customers and it slips his mind.

Nothing wrong calling him to remind him (nag) :B :B

Greg is a great guy and provides awesome customer service!
                  Tony

Comment

• NMyTree
                    • May 2004

I guess you'll get the same call today, from Greg, as I did

They are out of the Rosewwod finished Opus 2 speakers. Only the Piano Black Gloss is available.

Oh well, I went with the Piano Black Gloss. Afterall, it's the speakers themselves that I'm concerned with. The finish is window dressing. Would have been nice to get the Rosewood, though.
                    Tony

Comment

• mdrew
                      • Feb 2006

Yes, I got the call. Dammmmmit.

I did ask Greg if he told you yet and that you might need a hug seeing how excited you were about the Rosewood.

I'm a little disipointed, but I was pretty torn over which one to get anyway.

One way to look at it, is that pretty much all higher end speakers will charge more for piano black. It's much, much harder to finish black than a stain on wood. I've tried it several times and have learned to stick with stain and laquer.

...........so let the race begin! We'll see who gets their speakers first!

Later Tony............

Comment

• NMyTree
                        • May 2004

Yeah, I was mighty disappointed. I really wanted that Rosewood finish. Now I'll have two pairs of Opus 2, both in black gloss.

Don't get me wrong, I love that finish and it is stunning. Just wanted to do something different for my office. All in all, it's no big deal.

I'm already getting anxious for them to arrive :B :B
                        Tony

Comment

• NMyTree
                          • May 2004

They're here! Both of our Opus 2 have arrived! They arrived yesterday!

I can't wait to have them in my office!!!

:banana::banana::banana:;b>:banana::banana::banana :

:banana::dancenana::dancenana::dancenana::banana:

I'm picking mine up on Thursday.

Mike, I believe Greg has already shipped your's out. Either that or they're going out today.
                          Tony

Comment

• peed
                            • Mar 2006

can you please post your pics of your great speakers.
                            i like the opus and i wan't better pics than they on the internet.

greetz

peter

Comment

• NMyTree
                              • May 2004

Originally posted by peed
                              can you please post your pics of your great speakers.
                              i like the opus and i wan't better pics than they on the internet.

greetz

peter

My digital camera is broken. So it may be a while before I can get some pictures taken.
                              Tony

Comment

• NMyTree
                                • May 2004

Michael, have yours arrived, yet?

I picked up my new Opus 2 , yesterday.

Just a suggestion......be careful picking them up......they're like.... 80lbs each :B :B
                                Tony

Comment

• mdrew
                                  • Feb 2006

Still waiting for UPS to show up. Damn wind has been blowing for a week now with gusts up to 120mph. The planes can't fly into town, so I'm at the mercy of the wind god.

If they ever show up, I'll take a few pics and post them......provided I can do that without too much trouble.

Comment

• NMyTree
                                    • May 2004

Originally posted by mdrew
                                    Still waiting for UPS to show up. Damn wind has been blowing for a week now with gusts up to 120mph. The planes can't fly into town, so I'm at the mercy of the wind god.

If they ever show up, I'll take a few pics and post them......provided I can do that without too much trouble.
                                    bummer.

I'll do a little dance to the wind god, begging for more negotiable wind forces.

I hope they arrive soon.

If you have any problems getting the pictures up, let me know, I can help.

Or you can e-mail me the pictures and I'll host them on my photobucket page, so they can be loaded up onto this page.
                                    Tony

Comment

• NMyTree
                                      • May 2004

Opus 2 Pictures

Here are a few pics of the Wharfedale Opus 2. These are Michael's Opus 2, my camera is messed up.

Images not available
                                      Last edited by theSven; 08 June 2023, 16:52 Thursday. Reason: Remove broken image links
                                      Tony

Comment

• NMyTree
                                        • May 2004

Here's a larger version. This is the best I could with this picture, here.

Click on the picture, and then click on the little enlarge box that pops up in the corner of the pictutre. It will enlarge the picture and you'll get a closer look at the drivers.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ZZTOpus2.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	845248
                                        Last edited by theSven; 08 June 2023, 16:53 Thursday. Reason: Update image location
                                        Tony

Comment

• peed
                                          • Mar 2006

nice nice very nice, can you take also pics of the woofers and mid/tweeter.
                                          thanks for posting the pics, they great.

greetings
                                          peter

Comment

• NMyTree
                                            • May 2004

Scroll up and see my last post.
                                            Tony

Comment

• 8thDwarf
                                              • Feb 2005

40% off of Opus 1 @ AA very tempting.

Comment

Working...
                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                              Search Result for "|||"