X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mluding
    • Feb 2005

Classé CAM 350 or CA-401???

Hi audio enthusiasts!

I plan to upgrade my HT-system in stereo with one of the above stated stereo power amps.

In my system I'm running 5 (soon 7) full-range speakers (german manufacturer ISOPHON) headed by the ISOPHON Europa II as fronts. Being a pretty hungry load, I'm currently biamping these speakers with a Classé CAV-180 (5th channel for center). For the rears I'm using a small stereo CA-101 (I havent yet connected my back-rears).

My idea was to sell the CA-101, keep the CAV-180 for the surrounds and get a stereo amp for the fronts.

What would You suggest??? Which one is the better buy or... the better match to the CAV-180 in terms of sound???

As I will keep my cables (cinch and speaker-cables) I won't position the amps near to the speakers (my AV-pre does not even habe XLR-outputs). So the only question is the sound (I don't think that the power difference does reallymatter!!

Thanks!
    Martin
  • Patt
    • Feb 2005

Hi Martin,

Really nice equipment you have there .......my way of thinking is the more power the better!
    ......Pat

Comment

• mluding
      • Feb 2005

Hi Patt,

thank you!

my way of thinking is the more power the better!
      You are definitely right! But I'm not yet quite sure which one is the better choice: CA-401 or CAM-350

The CA-401 has more power (one massive 3000 Watt power-supply vs. 2x1200 Watts of the CAM-350), the other has a complete separate design which is always better in terms of sound quality :roll: :roll: :roll:

So I'm still a bit confused.....

And: I already read that not all Classé-Amps sound the same even if they have the same circuits! So: wich one is the better match with the CAV-180???

Any other comments???

Martin

P.S. Unfortunately it won't be possible to hear the amps at home a the dealers are too far away (1000 miles...)!!

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

I've not heard the two amps in question, but with all other things equal I don't believe that one massive power supply offsets the overall benefits of monoblocks. As you can't demo them, I'd go with the CA-M350. 700 WPC @ 4 Ohms isn't underpowered by any means.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Patt
          • Feb 2005

Seperate monoblocks versus a stereo amp I would choose the monoblocks everytime.
          Sort of like a seperate power supply for each speaker.
          ......Pat

Comment

• JürgenW
            • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Patt
            Seperate monoblocks versus a stereo amp I would choose the monoblocks everytime.
            Sort of like a seperate power supply for each speaker.
            Hi, Martin,
            You're here, too.

I agree with Patt and I would give some other monoblocks a try. (Martin, you know which ones I mean.)

In any case the best would be to wait with buying amps, after you have heard them. Can't you wait so long? (Which I always find difficult myself.)

Jürgen

Comment

• mluding
              • Feb 2005

Hi Jürgen,

yes I'm here too

I agree with Patt and I would give some other monoblocks a try.
              Yes I know.... they are great too, and the Audionet AMP II G2 would perfectly match to my pre-amp. It's a hard decision, but switching away from Classe would mean changing also my 5 channel amp, and 7 channels all Audionet would cost quite a bit... And I also have to say that I like the Classe-Sound (maybe a bit warmer that Audionet) and IMHO it is a perfect match with my PRE.

But you're right: I just can't wait... I still found two demo Classe amps of the old series from two dealers. If I wait too long it could be too late: .... I've never seen a CAM-350 on ebay!

Bye
              Martin

Comment

• Patt
                • Feb 2005

I thought all the amps we were talking about were Classe. I've seen the 350's on Audiogon before.
                ......Pat

Comment

• mluding
                  • Feb 2005

I thought all the amps we were talking about were Classe
                  You're right! Classé would be my first choice, but as my AV-pre is from Audionet it would be a good match too! And the Audionet have a classy look!

I've seen the 350's on Audiogon before.
                  "Unfortunately" I'm living in Italy, so I don't have the possibility to buy one from the US (we have 230 Volts)... :roll: I got to buy the much more expensive european modells (list-price here: 11.000 Euro!!!) :M Used about 50% of it...

Bye
                  Martin

Comment

• David Meek
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by mluding
                    I'm living in Italy, so I don't have the possibility to buy one from the US (we have 230 Volts)... :roll: I got to buy the much more expensive european modells (list-price here: 11.000 Euro!!!) :M Used about 50% of it. . .
                    Martin, is Italy home or are you living in Europe temporarily? One thought is to buy a good transformer to convert to 120V and purchase a US version. Maybe?

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• georgev
                      • Jul 2004

How significantly(if at all) does using a transformer, affect the sound?
                      That thought has also crossed my mind, living in South Africa, where we also use 220V.

Comment

• mluding
                        • Feb 2005

David,

I'm living in Europe! I already thought about buying a voltage converter (I know that they cost only about 100$), but I'm afraid of worsening the soundquality by doing so :roll: !

Martin

Comment

• NonSense
                          • Nov 2003

Martin

I would have the same concerns as you. IMO, $100 won't give you much of a step down transformer. I have used some step up types in the past while working with PAL television standard broadcast equipment over here in North America. I can tell you we spent about $100 just shipping the unit to our facility once we found one with a suitable VA rating. Just think of the two massive toriods in the CAM350's that you would need to be supplying. The 50Hz cycles to 60Hz cycles may also be a concern. Power supply rectification, regulation and capacitor selection may be optimized for a particular system. These are some of the items that generally distinguish a good amplifier from a great one. I would contact the manufacturer to gain their opinion on the matter.

If you are interested in that level of gear, you are going to want it to perform to perfection.
                          Bruce

Comment

• mluding
                            • Feb 2005

NonSense, I totally agree with you as my recently upgraded my pre amp with a separate power supply and I experienced a noticeable better soundstage! So I know how critical the issue is...:roll:

Yesterday I made an offer for the monos :wink:

Martin

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"