X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • VictorHRS
    • Apr 2005

Amp - Krell, Halo, Parasound, Rotel?

Hi there! This is my first post in this forum. I have appreciated it for a long time, but just as an observer. As you can see, I live in Brasil, which is not a good place to live if you like high quality audio. Everything is very expensive due to import taxes, and many brands aren't easily available here. Since I'll be travelling to the US in a few days, I would like to seize the opportunity to buy a new amp.

Currently my system runs on a Rotel RMB-1075, with a RSP1068 as pre/pro, Philips 963SA as the source and a set of Paradigm speakers (S20v3s up front, CC-470 as the center, Mini-monitors as the surrounds and the sub PW-2100). Cabling is mixed, with monsters, VDH, Absolut Acoustics, and AR. I'll be investing more in 2 channel audio, so I will soon buy a new pair of front speakers (one of these - Paradigm Studio100v3, Dynaudio Audience 72SE or B&W703 / CDM9NT). And I want a stereo amp to drive these with enough power, headroom and finesse for years to come, maybe on a warmer side, compared to the Rotels. My budget is usd 1,500, and I don't mind buying an used amp. Here are my first choices:

1. Parasound HCA1500a 205w (800 new);
    2. Rotel RB1080 200w (1000 new);
    3. Halo A21 250w (1400 Audiogon);
    4. Halo A23 125w (850 new, 550 Audiogon);
    5. Krell KAV250A 250w (1600 Audiogon);
    6. Krell KAV150A 150w (1100 Audiogon);

These brands are my preferred choices because if I don't like the amp in my set here in Brasil, I can sell them easily and also I can get easy maintenance on these.

I will appreciate very much all the help i can get, thank you.

Victor
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Hi,

And welcome.

One question, which of these brands can you get serviced in Brasil?

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

Hi, Victor, and welcome to the Guide! :banana:

You got some winners there. For starters, I'd recommend that you visit Club Rotel and Club Parasound here in the Guide. LOTS of good info there for you!
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• VictorHRS
        • Apr 2005

Thanks for the warm welcome, guys! :B

Thomas, the easiest service I can get is with Rotel, since the brazilian distributor is located about 150km from where I live. This distributor also services Classé, Mark Levinson, Meridian, Nad and others. Parasound, Halo and Krell I can also get service, but it will take longer and will be more expensive due to shipping costs.

Chris, I have read already a lot on the Club's forums, there are really some great infos there, in fact, it was there that I decided to strecth my budget of possible amps a little higher to fit the Halo A21 (consequently also the used Krells).

Pondering the used vs. new possibilities, my desire to have an amp on the neutral to warmer side (to balance the little bit of edginess that I get from my Paradigms) and this amp to be the best bang (sound quality) for the buck on my beggining audiophile quest, which do you suggest?

Thanks! :T

Victor

Comment

• cuda65
          • Feb 2005

Can you get Anthem Amps in your area? I have the MCA30 hooked up to Paradigm 100 V3's and I love it. Just another suggestion.
          Doug

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Since you're really long distance to be using Audiogon, I'd buy new Rotel and enjoy the comfort of a warranty and local service.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• VictorHRS
              • Apr 2005

Thanks Thomas and Cuda65!

Rotel is really the safest choice, since I own them and love their sound. But I would be willing to try something new... :roll: And in fact I really want the RB1090, but I disconsidered it due to its weight - 90lbs+!!!! I would pay fortunes for the extra weight in the airplane.

Coda, I thought about the Anthems also, they seem to be positioned in the same spot in the market as the Rotels. But since I'll do very little auditioning of these amps before buying, and Anthem opinions and mainly comparisions with both Rotel and Parasound are all hard to find, I'll stick with those I have read and/or listened the most.

Can you show me a good place to find Rotel - Anthem comparos?

thanks!

Victor

Comment

• cuda65
                • Feb 2005

You are right. It is very hard to find much information about how Anthem compares to other Amps. I was able to find a couple dealers around my area that carried Anthem and other amps to compare them to head to head. It has to be hard when you have limited sources. All I can tell you is the Anthem and the Paradigms matched well for my taste.

Good luck in your search!
                Doug

Comment

• VictorHRS
                  • Apr 2005

Cuda65, in fact, the Anthem distributor here in Brasil is located also very close to where I live. But they don't have a show room, only sell to resellers, and none of the resellers in my city have Anthem so that I could listen before I go to the US...

I'm settling on buying either a Halo A21 from Audiogon or a Rotel RB1080 from a B&M place in Las Vegas. I will also look for other good deals that I might find.

Anyone else that can help me?

Thank you,

Victor

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"