X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kwojciec
    • Jan 2005

Halo (and Parasound) toys on Cedia show

Hi

I just came back from the show. Both Halo D3 and Classic D200 DVD players are on the display. The classic version should be avalaible at the end of the year and then Halo version should follow. I talked to Parasound representative. Essentially both players have the same internal parts with the difference being 2-channel balanced analog outputs and BNC component video outputs on the D3. Estimated retail prices D3 $2300 and D200 $1500. The players seems to be comparable to the Onkyo S2000 (I think) and the corresponding Integra version. I hoped that D3 would have XLR digital output (AES/EBU), so I could use it to connect player to my Dodson DAC, but it did not happen. I guess this means that I will be after Classic version unless Brett will come up with a nice argument in favour of D3.

Multichannel analog preamp (P7) was not shown, but it is expected to appear pretty soon.

Now I think that some of you may not like that, but instead of the internal upgrade Halo/Parasound proposes external HDMI switcher with 5 inputs and a single output. It links with the Halo processors via RS-232C connector, so the audio will be processed. Frankly, I think it makes a lot of sense. At the moment HDMI processes all audio formats with the exception of SACD,
    so pretty soon we have new version with SACD avalaible and then High Def DD and DTS will come, so we will be eventually switching just one box. ZHD HDMI switcher retail price is $600.

There was a lot of interesting stuff, but I do not have time to talk about it now and I am not going to be on the net tonight. Let me just mention Rotel digital amplifiers. Everybody heard about 7 channel 100 watts box, which is probable better than RMB 1075, but they also have a stero variant almost ready. RB1092 2 times 500 watts with balanced inputs and probably better quality of the sound than RB 1090 for about $2500. This definitely make a nice competitor for A21. Okay that is it

Krzysztof
  • Ray
    • Jun 2004

So they did it again! The Halo DVD will be out next year cry cry cry
    Please Brent, tell us its not true!

Comment

• bhuskins
      • Aug 2003

Q4 2005

Off to the show...

Brent Huskins
      Media Design
      HTGuide Sponsoor

Comment

• jprafter
        • Jan 2005

Question... you said "It links with the Halo processors via RS-232C connector, so the audio will be processed."

If we use the RS-232C connection for a HDMI switch, how will we be able to do external control of the Halo units? Or will they be providing an additional serial port upgrade?

Any talk of i.Link (IEEE1394) connections?
        Parasound C2, A51, A21, T3, A23(x3)
        Onkyo TX-SR805
        Paradigm Signature S8, C5, S4, S2(x2), ADP
        Velodyne HGS-15X, SMS-1
        Sony PS3
        DirecTV HR20
        SONOS
        Harmony 1000

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2004

Originally posted by jprafter
          If we use the RS-232C connection for a HDMI switch, how will we be able to do external control of the Halo units? Or will they be providing an additional serial port upgrade?
          I would assume the external unit has a second RS-232 connector that can be used to daisy chain whatever you previously had plugged into the C1/C2...

Peter

Comment

• kwojciec
            • Jan 2005

Hi

unfortunately external unit has only one RS-232 connector. I will go to the show once Notre Dame - Michigan game will be over and ask about that

Krzysztof

Comment

• Peter Nielsen
              Super Senior Member
              • Sep 2004

Originally posted by kwojciec
              unfortunately external unit has only one RS-232 connector. I will go to the show once Notre Dame - Michigan game will be over and ask about that
              Obviously they want you to use a Crestron or AMX to control everything :W

Peter

Comment

• jprafter
                • Jan 2005

I use the Halo plugin for main lobby (cinemar). Not fancy, but gives me good control with my air panel. I would hate to give it up.

John
                Parasound C2, A51, A21, T3, A23(x3)
                Onkyo TX-SR805
                Paradigm Signature S8, C5, S4, S2(x2), ADP
                Velodyne HGS-15X, SMS-1
                Sony PS3
                DirecTV HR20
                SONOS
                Harmony 1000

Comment

• emillika
                  • Jan 2003

Originally posted by kwojciec
                  Hi

Now I think that some of you may not like that, but instead of the internal upgrade Halo/Parasound proposes external HDMI switcher with 5 inputs and a single output. It links with the Halo processors via RS-232C connector, so the audio will be processed. Frankly, I think it makes a lot of sense. At the moment HDMI processes all audio formats with the exception of SACD,
                  so pretty soon we have new version with SACD avalaible and then High Def DD and DTS will come, so we will be eventually switching just one box. ZHD HDMI switcher retail price is $600.

Krzysztof
                  Can someone post a pic of this switcher if it was on display? I don't like/won't lose my rs-232 connection as I need it for Control4 or Crestron Adagio support.

Thanks.

Elmer

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"