X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Race Car Driver
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Hehe, I ended up picking up an older, but nice Aragon 4004 for a great price IMO.
    It works for now, i figured if Im gonna spend big money on some amps, id like to do it once. This is holding me over for now.

I again, was checking out my pricing on the Monster amps today, and was thinking I could get two and bi-amp, but then again.. for that price, id like to hear them first.

Im sure they are nice amps, and for my cost on them, i probably wouldnt be dissapointed.

But some nice mono blocks would be nice too.

Who knows, maybe sometime in '06... but im wanting a new Sony SXRD 50" also... grr.
    Wheres my winning lotto ticket?
    B&W

Comment

• Rotel Fan
      • Oct 2005

The Aragon's ARE nice.

Comment

• Alaric
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Jan 2006

Markup on audio

Originally posted by junior77blue
        The marketing ploy is in the retail price. People that shop at medium to high end audio come to expect 10-15% of retail price.

You don't think the manufactures in conjuction with the distributors/dealers bake in a 10-15% of Fat just so when the dealer agrees to take 15% off you think its one hell of a deal and buy it! It's all about closing the deal. And for people that pay full retail price, they aren't buying from the right shops.

I wish someone from a retail store will chime in and tell us how much markup is on high end audio, just at the dealer level. Hey, the original poster works at best buy, I bet he could shed some light on retail pricing.

This is why I tend to buy used...at least then its somewhat 'market' driven.

And yes, the best advice is to take your time on finding what is best for your likings at a budget that doesn't break the bank.

Count on %100 to %150 on "landed" cost for low to mid-range gear.As much as %300 on accessories like cables and surge protectors. Including *ose.
        As for mauf. set prices,it allows dealers to compete and protects thier profit-thereby encouraging dealers to carry the product.Maytag , Dyson , and LG do it as well.Includes TVs as well.
        Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
        Marantz PM-KI Pearl
        Schiit Modi 3
        Marantz CD5005
        Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• kgt
          • Mar 2005

Comeup,

I believe I saw you have a Monster 3250 and a Rotel 1075 - after spending some time with them, how would you compare the two? Do you still prefer the Monster for the same reasons as you mentioned before? Any problems with it?

Thanks,
          kgt

Comment

• comeup
            • Jul 2005

kgt

I still prefer the 3250 over the 1075 becauses it is a better amp all around. I know a lot of people don't like Monster Cable for their business practices, but this piece is a great sounding amp. I can't knock the Rotel for it is a great amp for the$$$ you spend. Its probably the best amp for a G. The Rotel has a warm sound and is great sounding with movies and music, but tends to lose control at high volumes. The 3250 is warm, super clear, and has full contol of the speakers always. I was really surprised how good this amp sounds. I don't think its really fair to compare it to the 1075 the monster is triple the price. I think the 1095 would be a better comparison or the RB 1080 that I do have in a two channel setup. Both amps are vary good. I think it comes down to your ears. I use to like the Monster better than the 1080, but after having them both for a while I like them both the same though the sounds are completly different. The 1080 has a warm powerful sound that is smooth. What I like about the 3250 is the clarity it is so clear and clean and with a touch of warmness and it sounds good at low volumes. Imaging is great on both amps. I have Kef and B&W speakers that I switch around all the time.
            Blake

Comment

• 8thDwarf
              • Feb 2005

FYI~
              Mpa3250(3x250watt) $9 bills 'Buy it now' or bids start at $800(shipping was about $90)
              Or another online seller offers $1100 (shipped!)
              Both designate as new product not reconditioned.
              Monster anger the entire planet?
              Those deals sound tasty.

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2005

yup, i picked one up.
                I will give a review when after it shows up and i have some time with it.
                B&W

Comment

• Drewbert
                  • Aug 2005

Originally posted by Race Car Driver
                  yup, i picked one up.
                  I will give a review when after it shows up and i have some time with it.
                  Good I want to know how it sounds..... my hook up is really great for monster stuff!
                  -Drew

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Mar 2005

Yes, I know your pricing, as I get the same, but this one I picked up for about half of that. I couldnt resist.
                    B&W

Comment

• kgt
                      • Mar 2005

I have this amp (3250) powering my B&W 804S and HTM3S.

The switch that toggles between RCA and XLR broke for the center channel (it just wiggles around, it seems to not be connected to anything inside the chasis), so it's stuck on RCA. Unfortunately I wanted to use XLR.

Luckily I bought it from costco.com and while Monster won't repair it as it wasn't bought from an "authorized" dealer, I can return it whenever I want. For the time being, I'll keep it.

Can't comment too much on the sound as this is my first HT system, but I do know mine runs very hot (you wouldn't want to leave your hand on the top of this thing after an hour of being on...even at low volumes).

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Mar 2005

Mine showed up today, 3250. I didnt have much chance to listen to it before work, it showed up 15 mins before I had to leave.
                        I have contacted the seller as the bottom corner had a dent in it from shipping, dont know what I will end up doing with this amp though

I can say this, the thing is a beast! Its HUGE! much deeper then my salamander rack, the posts for the speaker connection are nice. I saw that cheezy toggle switch, ive seen them on other amps, but oh well.
                        B&W

Comment

• kgt
                          • Mar 2005

Race Car,
                          Let us know what you think about the 3250 compared to the other amps you've had in your system.

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Mar 2005

Well, almost a year and a half later, I can give my own review on these amps.... so far.
                            I have about 10 hrs of listnening, with music of 3doors down SACD, Godsmack SACD, John Mayer, 12 Stones, Deftones. This is my "basic" comparison to the Aragon 4004.

First thoughts unpacking... DAMN, this thing is big! The power cable is quality IMO. Beefy 11 gauge on each strand. Its THICK! Also noticed... DAMN, the front corner is dinged, and the rear corner is bent! :evil:
                            (Already have a claim started with UPS, dont know if im going to end up keeping this or what)

The sound, definatly brighter and a wider sound stage. It sounds as if the music "surrounds" you. The vocals sound more as if they are right infront of your face, while the music comes from each side. As I read in another thread, someone stating the Aragons tend to sound a bit "dull" I believe the word was used. And with this comparison, I agree, it is.

I really dont know how else to describe it, thats not my specialty. :lol:
                            I plugged it in, and at first, thought I had to turn the vol up more to get the same output from the speakers, then I sat and listened and definatly noticed an improved sound. I noticed the current draw through my Monster 3600 Surge/Filter was up a bit. The 3250 produces heat! Smells a little "different" too Dunno if thats normal or what for burn it. I ended up plugging the Aragon 4004 back in and listening to it for another 45 mins or so, vol was down compared to the Monster Amp. And my first thoughts of the Monster vs the Aragon was correct, the Aragon was a dull in comparison. Regaurless, I will be keeping the 4004 for other use. I like it, decent old amp that is mint.

Seems like a good amp to drive two mains and a good center (next step, Nautilus HTM1)

So, take it for what its worth.
                            B&W

Comment

• comeup
                              • Jul 2005

Originally posted by 8thDwarf
                              FYI~
                              Mpa3250(3x250watt) $9 bills 'Buy it now' or bids start at $800(shipping was about $90)
                              Or another online seller offers $1100 (shipped!)
                              Both designate as new product not reconditioned.
                              Monster anger the entire planet?
                              Those deals sound tasty.

I should have waited I paid two grand for mines at the Good Guys closeout but it was new in mint condition. I think the reason its selling for cheap is because a lot of audiophiles won't buy or try it because of their dislike of Monster cable which is unfortunate because it is a great amp. If something is not being bought the price will drop. kgt the difference between the Balanced and RCA is none so don't let it bother you believe me I played around with them for a while and heard no difference other than the balanced side is a tad louder.
                              Blake

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Mar 2005

I told a coworker about the amp, and he said the reason they are cheap is because they have some new stuff in the works.
                                This amp is well worth 900$ any day any way you cut it IMO. I won mine for $842. Almost too good to be true (damn shipping)
                                B&W

Comment

• comeup
                                  • Jul 2005

And I thought I had a great deal going your patients payed off Race Car Driver good job. I hope your enjoying yours as much as i'm enjoying mines as I type i'm listening to SIRIUS Pure Jazz over Dish Network.
                                  Blake

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Mar 2005

Yea I enjoy it so far. (Listening to it right now)
                                    I will be comparing the Monster and my Aragon to a pair of Bryston 7Bs next week. The Brystons should out power both amps quite easily, but im curious to how they will sound over all.
                                    B&W

Comment

• 8thDwarf
                                      • Feb 2005

Post your impressions fttt as you get settled in with the Monster...
                                      ...if you keeps it.
                                      Why oh why must (*)hit get shipped bent. :rant:

Comment

• kgt
                                        • Mar 2005

Anybody still around with this Monster 3250 amp? Any updated impressions?

I bought mine at Costco a long time ago and had a problem with it (the problem may or may not have been my fault...). Monster sent me a brand new one before I even returned mine to them...it has been running fine ever since...

Comment

• tyler
                                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by David Meek
                                          Chris, you've run head-on into whole anti-Monster issue here. These amps may be quite good, but I wouldn't give them a thought simply based on Monster's business practices. Also, with your willingness to look at used equipment, for under that $2,500 price point you can get some seriously fine amps on Audiogon.

Here's a few:
                                          Conrad Johnson MF 2500, $1,700 obo
                                          VTL ST-150, $2,200 obo
                                          Audio Research VT-100 Mk II, $2,100
                                          I also agree but let's also not forget McIntosh. That would also pair up nice w\your B&W's. Not to mention there resale value.:T

Comment

Working...
                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                          Search Result for "|||"