X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • georgev
    • Jul 2004

To Biamp or not

This may have been covereed before but I'd like some input pls.
    Are there sonic(audible) benefits to passive bi-amping vs. a powerful single amp?
    Has anyone compared the two?
    Thanks.
    George
  • ht_addict
    • Dec 2002

If you have the extra cable and banana plugs sitting around then I say go for it. If its going to cost you less than $100 for the extra parts if you don't have them I still say go for it. I've had a Rotel RMB-1095 and now a NAD S250, both off which I bi-amped my front left/right Paradigm Studio(v3) 40's with and ran the 5th channel too the center.

ht_addict

Comment

• Burke Strickland
      • Sep 2001

I tried it a few years ago since I had some extra speaker wire and extra amp channels on hand, and it didn't hurt anything, but it didn't magically transform what was already a fine sounding setup into anything noticeably better. If you can do it without making an inordinate investment, it may be worth trying just to see if your combination of equipment hits the magic spot where everything synergizes and transcends expectations. But I wouldn't recommend spending a fortune on it unless you are sure it is going to really improve something you are currently missing (by experimenting with someone else's expensive equipment before you buy new add-on gear). :>)

Good luck!

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• georgev
        • Jul 2004

Thanks for the replies.
        Perhaps I should be more specific with the equipment.
        B&W N802's are currently being driven by a Mark Levinson 332. I have the option of obtaining another 332, which I can then use to bi-amp the speakers, or go for something like a more powerful dual mono design, and get rid of my 332. Or will the sole 332 be adequate, and am I getting the best from my 802's. It will be a substantial investment though used, and ?worth it.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Yikes there's no way I'd spring for another 332 given the subtle changes it'll bring. IMO you'd be better off looking at improving your source gear.

Comment

• georgev
            • Jul 2004

Source gear is also Mark Levinson, 31.5 transport into 360s dac into 38s pre into 332. FRom what I am hearing from you guys, it would really not make such a difference to warrant the expense. Right?
            George.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"