X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • glangston@socal
    • May 2004

Turntable- Project 1 Expression

This is touted as an audiophile turntable for around $400, incl a Sumiko cartridge. Graphite tonearm.

Anyone hear or buy one? It seems like a great price and has some good writeups.

I definitely want to get my vinyl stuff back in use after getting other new equipment, incl. Rotel 1056 and some Axiom speakers with a Hsu Sub.
  • Bam!
    Super Senior Member
    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by glangston@socal
    This is touted as an audiophile turntable for around $400, incl a Sumiko cartridge. Graphite tonearm.

Anyone hear or buy one? It seems like a great price and has some good writeups.

I definitely want to get my vinyl stuff back in use after getting other new equipment, incl. Rotel 1056 and some Axiom speakers with a Hsu Sub.
    No brainer....buy It! Excellent table......

Would not ruin it on a 1056 but anyways!!!!

Do understand though that the cartridge might be finished......the arm might need rebalncing..adjusting...VTA....weighing in the cartridge....

The bearings might need cleaning and regreasing....

All that being said..I'd take it in to your nearest HIFI shops that does this type of work on TT's well worth the minimal investment!

Make sure your pre amp has a good phono stage....!
    Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• Cowanrg
      • Feb 2004

Bam!,

im assuming he's talking about a new one, not a used one... you can get it for $400 new.

ive seen it, we have it on demo in the store. im not a vinyl guy, so i cant talk too much about sound quality or anything, but build quality is pretty good for the table. its all manual, has a decent feel (not too heavy though), the graphite tonearm is top notch though. for $400, its a great table. the tonearm and cartridge are worth that.

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Gordon, the Pro-Jects are (and have been) getting good press as far as being very solid values for their price. If you can, take a couple of your albums - clean 'em first - and listen to the TT. If you like what you hear, for $400 how can you go wrong? Do make sure they aren't feeding the Expression into a $2000 phono-stage (and other higher-end equipment) as that might cause some unreasonable expectations on your part. :B

Good luck and keep us posted, okay?

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Bam!
          Super Senior Member
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Cowanrg
          Bam!,

im assuming he's talking about a new one, not a used one... you can get it for $400 new.

ive seen it, we have it on demo in the store. im not a vinyl guy, so i cant talk too much about sound quality or anything, but build quality is pretty good for the table. its all manual, has a decent feel (not too heavy though), the graphite tonearm is top notch though. for $400, its a great table. the tonearm and cartridge are worth that.

You are so right.....I was thinking of Rm9 from Project.....I see Project and I immediately think RM9 because I came within inches of buying one.......

so sorry!

Comment

• glangston@socal
            • May 2004

Originally posted by David Meek
            Gordon, the Pro-Jects are (and have been) getting good press as far as being very solid values for their price. If you can, take a couple of your albums - clean 'em first - and listen to the TT. If you like what you hear, for $400 how can you go wrong? Do make sure they aren't feeding the Expression into a $2000 phono-stage (and other higher-end equipment) as that might cause some unreasonable expectations on your part. :B

Good luck and keep us posted, okay?
            This leads me to another question, cleaning records. I've seen the liquids and aerosols and brushes but does anyone have a solution for vacuuming short of the expensive machines.....or is there another method that doesn't include vacuuming. I'm willing to take time to do this but unwilling to invest in expensive equipment. BTW, I'm just going to hook this into the phono inputs on my Rotel 1056 for the time being. The dealer is setting up the cartridge and I'll just have to level it when I bring it home.

Comment

• David Meek
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

This leads me to another question, cleaning records. I've seen the liquids and aerosols and brushes but does anyone have a solution for vacuuming short of the expensive machines.....or is there another method that doesn't include vacuuming. I'm willing to take time to do this but unwilling to invest in expensive equipment.
              Unfortunately, I'm not aware of one. I use a NittyGritty 1.5 and I'll never go back. For one, the amazing amount of crud - both surface and in the grooves - this thing removes will make my vinyl and stylus last longer. Add that to the way the albums sound after a good cleaning and it makes the pain of the price worth it.

BTW, I'm just going to hook this into the phono inputs on my Rotel 1056 for the time being. The dealer is setting up the cartridge and I'll just have to level it when I bring it home.
              If you tell him the weight of your albums, ie. 160, 180 or 200 gram, they should be able to set the VTA for you. Generally, older albums are 160 grams IIRC.

Comment

• Bam!
                Super Senior Member
                • Jan 2004

This leads me to another question, cleaning records. I've seen the liquids and aerosols and brushes but does anyone have a solution for vacuuming short of the expensive machines.....or is there another method that doesn't include vacuuming. I'm willing to take time to do this but unwilling to invest in expensive equipment. BTW, I'm just going to hook this into the phono inputs on my Rotel 1056 for the time being. The dealer is setting up the cartridge and I'll just have to level it when I bring it home.
                Click here DIY

Comment

• glangston@socal
                  • May 2004

Thanks

Between the DIY and the cheaper Record Doctor ($199) items also manufactured by Nitty Gritty I guess I really do have quite a few choices

Comment

• glangston@socal
                    • May 2004

Just one last little update

I got the turntable then discovered my Rotel 1056 had no phono inputs. Luckily I had a Recoton pre-amp from another setup and was able to hook up to the tape inputs. The Recoton is a minimal pre-amp so it looks like I will eventually be looking at one of the Project pre-amps in the future (when the wife's not looking) :W :W

I pulled out Thriller by Michael Jackson and played a few cuts. It's been a long time since I've heard my vinyl. This was a Nautilus 1/2 speed and it sounded clean but certainly different to my ears from the CDs I've been listening to.

If I play Pressure Cooker by Thelma Houston I'll probably be transported back to my days with a Phase Linear setup and Heil AMT towers (and the neighbors yelling). :P

Comment

• Bam!
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Jan 2004

I got the turntable then discovered my Rotel 1056 had no phono inputs. Luckily I had a Recoton pre-amp from another setup and was able to hook up to the tape inputs. The Recoton is a minimal pre-amp so it looks like I will eventually be looking at one of the Project pre-amps in the future (when the wife's not looking) :W :W

I pulled out Thriller by Michael Jackson and played a few cuts. It's been a long time since I've heard my vinyl. This was a Nautilus 1/2 speed and it sounded clean but certainly different to my ears from the CDs I've been listening to.

If I play Pressure Cooker by Thelma Houston I'll probably be transported back to my days with a Phase Linear setup and Heil AMT towers (and the neighbors yelling). :P
                      Good to here!

I just bought as a phono stage.....me likes very much.....

Comment

• David Meek
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

Bammer, those are supposed to be very nice phono stages. :yesnod:

Gordon, talking more about phono stages - in the price range you are looking at (sub $500 US), there are several contenders that I'm aware of:

Muscial Fidelity's X-LPS (I'm currently using this one)
                        Musical Fidelity's X-LPS V3
                        Graham Slee's Gram Amp2 (see Bam's Special Edition version above)
                        Creek's OBH-15
                        Creek's OBH-18
                        Grado's PH-1
                        CI Audio's VPP-1
                        Pro-Ject's Phono Box SE

Take your time and audition as many as you can with your equipment before you settle on one. Keep us posted....

Comment

• gd
                          • Jan 2003

Here's a bunch more to look at...

For a little beyond $500, the Lehman and EAR are highly regarded.

I use a Parasound PPH-100 with my Rega P3, and it's an overachiever @ $120.

Happy hunting.
                          greg (gd to you)
                          Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
                          production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• Bam!
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by David Meek
                            Bammer, those are supposed to be very nice phono stages. :yesnod:

Yup it<s pretty cute! :lol:

Comment

• ninetynine
                              • May 2005

I have a pro-ject 1 xpression 2 months old as new to sell (reason : upgrading amp) if anyone is interested, email me at jimason101@hotmail.com for more info and pics. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"