X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TimRawson
    • Oct 2004

Pro Amps

I got a new pre/pro.... Still working on the amp.

So, for temporary testing, picked up a "pro" amp from a music shop with a good return policy. It's a Samson 500, claimed to do 150x2 into 8ohms. However, new system sounds very bright... well, not overly bright but bass lacking. Is that typical of pro-amps? Figure they are usually intended for 4ohm loads and bass-y speakers, like dem big ole dj speakers.

Sometimes wonder if should get an EQ or stereo listening. Do eq's kill quality?

Oh well, guess I should hurry up and try a normal home amp with this prepro. Much happier with the brightness, but bass dissappeared - often a sign of lack of power. Maybe I should hook my prior reciever and try using it's 5.1/7.1 input to leverage it's internal amps to see if it's the prepro.

Thanks
  • jimmyp58
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

I am not familiar with the Samson 500 but I have two 'pro' amps. The Carver PRO ZR1600 (modded by 8th Nerve) and the Crown K2. Both are more powerful than the amp you have. Recently due to an issue with my main amp, I've been using the Carver for my mains. Perhaps a tad less deeper than my usual mains amp (Bryston 14B SST) but I can tell you, I am floored as to how incredible this sounds.

What kind of speakers are you using? Cost-wise, either of these amps are far more economical than their 'non-pro' counterparts. Hence, they are a great value.

PM me if you want more info. I truly don't believe they are a bad option at all.

Jim
    jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• Wayne A. Pflughaupt
      • Jun 2002

Assuming since you’re using a pre-pro that you have an upper-end system, I’d stay away from the Samson. It’s is a low-end pro brand – kinda like the home gear you’d find at Wal-mart. It’s certainly not on par with the amps Jimmy mentioned; I’ve heard people complain that they sound gritty.

Regards,
      Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

The only way that I'm familiar with Samson is in regards to driving passive subwoofers, where lower fidelity is okay with raw power. I think SVS offers a package where you can buy a Samson amp with a CS sub.
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• TimRawson
          • Oct 2004

Going to return it today or tomorrow. The amp is kind of thin sounding when volume turned louder. Wish I had held onto the Aragon 4004 a bit longer. Had purchased it to try out the new pre/pro. Hope to decide on amp soon.

Had off and on considered a hafler amp...

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

The Aragon's are fantastic amps so I'm not surprised to hear you didn't like the Samson in comparison.

Comment

• soundhound
              • Mar 2004

I had a Haffler 500 wich I drove Infinity RS 2.5's with about 15 years ago (got married, bye-bye toys)and liked the amp alot. Those speaks were power hogs with some ungodly crossover components but the DH500 handled them without a problem. My musical tastes have mellowed as well as volume requirements but I have recently wondered how an amp as such would sound with my current setup. Curious to see what you think of the haffler with some newer front end hardware........

Comment

• watchthewaves
                • Jul 2004

Yes, give the Haflers a try

I've heard a few in their range. To me, the top of the line P9505 and the P4000 share a similar sound -- they sound a bit warmer to me than the P7000, the biggest amp they have. In general, I find their amps accurate and also gets you into the music.

Do they have a try and return policy?

Comment

• TimRawson
                  • Oct 2004

Returned last night with no hassles - was the potential for restocking but since it was only two days and not a scratch, they said ok.

I bit the bullet and ordered a Parasound Halo A52. I loved the sound of a halo a23 with the halo stereo pre so figured a A52 would be close enough and slightly better since a bigger core power supply to drive just 2 channels in stereo mode. Like Rotel, hard to get any great discount on Halo (except used, but dont' see much midrange halo used).

It's too bad there isn't a mega shop in my area. One carries brand x other carries y of course. So often hard to do comparisons - and like always noted, needs to be in home.

Had also considered used/clearance ATI monsters 150-200wpc. Thought about the Gemstone 5 channel. But, the only place (currently and for few years) can leverage the 200-250 wpc is the mains. Rest of my speakers are smaller. So, if I become truly addicted could pick up 2 channel monster. But think I will be satisfied and thrilled with the A52.

Comment

• TimRawson
                    • Oct 2004

Oh yeah... The Aragon, did love the neutrality (didn't hear any high 'hotness' as some had said) - was using Rotel 1056 as prepro. And strong....

But the thing was a monster, extra wide and no trigger power control. Actually made 100 bucks reselling it and recouping purchase to apply toward going separates.
                    Last edited by TimRawson; 23 November 2004, 11:13 Tuesday. Reason: vagueness

Comment

• Chris D
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Dec 2000

Congrats, Tim! :banana: You'll be happy with the A52, I'm sure. Make sure you stop in at Club Parasound here at HT Guide with other Parasound owners!
                      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                      - Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"