Carvin DCM pro-amps vs Behringer vs PE 1000 plate amp?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Al Garay
    • Jan 2004

Carvin DCM pro-amps vs Behringer vs PE 1000 plate amp?

Appreciate your opinion on Carvin pro-amps like the DCM2000 ($499) and DCM2500 ($569).

Helping a friend build his 5.1 HT system where the wife wants small cabinets and he wants output ... the typical case. Noisy fan would also be a negative.

Looking at the new TC Sounds TC3000 15" for a small (2.0 or 2.5 cubic foot) sealed subwoofer. Originally, I was thinking the PE 1000 watt plate amp, keeping it simple since they're not likely to ever make any changes. However, my impulse tells me to go for a proamp such as the Behringer EP2500 ($299, plenty of power, concerned about quality, reliabilty and noise). I have read some of the modifications to lower the noise but is it still discernable from 4-8 feet away while watching a DVD? I read Steve's comments that the Carvin's are discernable from about an inch away, a foot away would be plenty.

Also relying on the new HT receiver to handle the crossover cutoff, expecting to choose one of the mid-upper range Sony ES and Marantz series. The monitors will be small sealed 2-way (they have to be small, less than 14" and handle dynamic ranges without compression).

Summary:
    Is Carvin worth the extra price over the Behringer?
    How quiet is the Behringer, distance away can you hear it?
    Should I reconsider PE plate amp?

thanks,

Al
    Last edited by Al Garay; 20 July 2006, 23:46 Thursday. Reason: spelling
  • SteveCallas
    • Aug 2005

I read Steve's comments that the Carvin's are discernable from about an inch away, a foot away would be plenty.
    I apologize if I created any confusion, but that's not quite right. Stock, fan noise will be ~53db at 1" from the front face plate. With a 39ohm resistor fan mod, the fan noise won't register at 1" from the faceplate, meaning it is below 50db. That doesn't mean you won't necessarily be able to discern it at 1".....48-49db isn't dead quiet.

At your seat however, with the fan mod, you shouldn't be hearing anything if you have a carpeted, decent sized room. Stock, at your seat, same circumstances, it might just be noticable.

Also, I can't say with 100% certainty that the DCM amps will have the same fan noise as the HD amps, as I use HD1800s. From your post, I can't really tell, but if this is to power speakers, the HD1800 should be way more than enough.

Comment

• Rick Craig
      • Jul 2006

Originally posted by Al Garay
      Appreciate your opinion on Carvin pro-amps like the DCM2000 ($499) and DCM2500 ($569).

Helping a friend build his 5.1 HT system where the wife wants small cabinets and he wants output ... the typical case. Noisy fan would also be a negative.

Looking at the new TC Sounds TC3000 15" for a small (2.0 or 2.5 cubic foot) sealed subwoofer. Originally, I was thinking the PE 1000 watt plate amp, keeping it simple since they're not likely to ever make any changes. However, my impulse tells me to go for a proamp such as the Behringer EP2500 ($299, plenty of power, concerned about quality, reliabilty and noise). I have read some of the modifications to lower the noise but is it still discernable from 4-8 feet away while watching a DVD? I read Steve's comments that the Carvin's are discernable from about an inch away, a foot away would be plenty.

Also relying on the new HT receiver to handle the crossover cutoff, expecting to choose one of the mid-upper range Sony ES and Marantz series. The monitors will be small sealed 2-way (they have to be small, less than 14" and handle dynamic ranges without compression).

Summary:
      Is Carvin worth the extra price over the Behringer?
      How quiet is the Behringer, distance away can you hear it?
      Should I reconsider PE plate amp?

thanks,

Al
      The PE amp works pretty well but to tweak it you'll need to do some nearfield measurements.

Comment

• Al Garay
        • Jan 2004

The proamp is intended to power the subwoofer, right now looking at the TC3000 15".

I didn't know about Carvin until I read Steve's post. The quality looks good. The EP2500 plus DEQ2496 may make more sense.... more to study.

Rick, beautiful job on the RC5 and your new value series using the Dayton woofers.

Comment

• Al Garay
          • Jan 2004

I found and read Thomas' very good summary of the DEQ2496

It is a Swiss Knife. Does it really have high pass and low pass filters for two subwoofers? Makes it very appealing with the EP2500 amplifier.

So, the DEQ2496 (if I understand correctly) allows to build the 1.7 cubic foot enclosure and use DEQ to simulate the response from larger cabinet.

Comment

• BigJim_inFLA
            • Jun 2006

I use the Behringer EP2500 to power my sub. I have it mounted at the very bottom of my rack, 2" above a carpeted floor, 6' from and directly in front of my seated position. It is barely noticeable during silent portions of movies or music, and not at all discernable when there is any music, dialog, soundFX. I have not yet done any fan mod and may not feel the need to. Build quality of this amp look very good. I've only had it a short time so I cannot answer any long term reliability questions for you. It does have plenty of power. :B

Jim

Comment

• ---k---
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Nov 2005

I have a EP2500. The stock fan is very noticable when there is no sound. But once a movie gets going, it really just fades away and isn't that big of a deal. The fan mods are easy and totally solve the problem.

I must have missed the second question. Why are we discussing the DEQ? The DEQ is a general purpose EQ that will work with any pro amp.
              - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
              CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
              CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"