• Gordon Moore
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Feb 2002

Bipolar surround owners....Postioning for Bi-polars

Quick question...

What's the concensus....

I've read everything from:

Head in the center to one driver directed at the listener and one behind
    to position them on the ceiling (which in itself sounds interesting).

Speakers are on their way....

I'm leaning towards head in the center 1 to 1.5 feet above the ear.

How is everyone else doing it? (by "it" I mean, mounting their speakers, err, I mean, hanging their speakers on the wall/ceiling : )
    Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

In my experience they sound best off direclty to the side and about a foot or so higher then your head when seated.

Comment

• Shane Martin
      Super Senior Member
      • Apr 2001

Mine are above my head by a few inches and directly to the sides of the listeners. They function as my "Sides".

Comment

• Bent
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2003

Yup, directly to the side.
        Even more so when using Bi-poles than Di-poles if wall mounted.

Comment

• Shane Martin
          Super Senior Member
          • Apr 2001

That reminds me. I need to mess with the dipole switch on mine. Mine are switchable.

Comment

• Gordon Moore
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Feb 2002

They will function asa my sides as well (funny with 7.1 these days the word surrounds is no longer applicable).

Does anyone do bipoles/dipoles all the way around the back? The only guy I know of is RickS though I haven't asked him how he likes that.

The rear center effects are supposed to be directional no?

I only have abilities up to 5.1 for now...that will change in time.
            Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

I know a few that do that but most I think perfer direct's as rears unless the back wall is very close to your seats...which obviously isn't the case for you.

Comment

• Chris D
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Dec 2000

Mine are about 1' above my head, and slightly behind the main listening position on the side walls.

Actually, I think "Bipolars" are best left in the mental health ward, taking Lithium to smooth out the mania and depression.

Anyone? Anyone? ... come on....
                CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                - Pleasantville

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

cute :B

Comment

• Azeke
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Gordon Moore
                    They will function asa my sides as well (funny with 7.1 these days the word surrounds is no longer applicable).

Does anyone do bipoles/dipoles all the way around the back? The only guy I know of is RickS though I haven't asked him how he likes that.

The rear center effects are supposed to be directional no?

I only have abilities up to 5.1 for now...that will change in time.
                    Yes Gordon, I have 7.1 configuration with Def Tech (Dipoles) rears and cb's, with DoProIIx it sounds simply beautiful. I have the sides approximately 1 foot above my head and directly to the side of the main listening area, with panaroma set to on.

Hope this helps,

Azeke

Comment

• jimmyp58
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Aug 2003

Here's a completely different and wacko approach --- tripole effect. I embarked on this with my recent upgrade to VMPS speakers. I have a floorstander in the rear corner of my HT. Sitting atop it is a dipole surround speaker. The floorstander, for the moment, is non-VMPS (but will be in a few weeks) and the dipole is a VMPS. They are 'strapped' together.

The results are stunning actually. An expensive approach but sonically an experience in and of itself. Some stuff works well with dipole as the surround and some material is solid with a front-firing (or bipole) speaker as the surround. I've combined the best of both so I have sound coming directly at me and dispersed as well. I'll admit I was skeptical in the beginning but there is no way I will go to either one separately. YMMV but my setup is all good.

Jim

P.S. This is for my 5.1 setup; I have a rear center back for a 6.1 setup.
                      jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"