X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

I settled, or did I?

I got caught up in the moment and bought two pretty high priced guitars, while I liked the electric tele, fashioned after George Harrison's Rooftop Rosewood tele, I felt it was way overpriced even with a supposed "deal", so I returned it, and did get my 6th Les Paul back, a 2013 Trad Pro II. I think it may have been slightly damaged on bottom edge, just mostly finish. I'll let it go.
    I am heavier in electric guitars than acoustic, so I instead came home with maybe my last acoustic guitar. It's a Martin triple 000 body, with a Tazmanian blackwood flamed back, and a Silka front, it is 1 of 1 Martin Custom Shop like it in the world. The guitar guy went to the Martin plant and picked out the Tazmanian Blackwood, oh that back is so beautiful. The front looks pretty much like any Martin. So, what I love about this guitar is the light weight, it's my couch picker. I have another Martin that is 1 of 3 like it in the world. It will be interesting to compare tones on my girls in the coming days...:-)

photos to follow. The one thing I wish he had ordered was Mother of Pearl circle around the hole. Oh well, I have 1 of those. This guitar is like a standard campfire style, not a cutout for lead acoustic like my other two... That's another reason I chose it. Now I have both, cut away and dreadnaught non-cutaway design.

That is all... except to say that is the only 1 of 1 guitar I own.
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • chrisn
    • Sep 2007

i get nervous reading "campfire" in the same paragraph as "1 of 1 Martin" Bring on the pictures!

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

Ok Chris, when I say camp fire guitar, I just mean a standard rather smaller body standard shape, no cut away. This one certainly wasn't well cheap. I have not been able to get a certificate saying it's 1 of 1, but I do have a photo of the Tasmanian blackwood the back was made out of. I'll make it a priority to show you my 000 baby. :-)
      Doug

Comment

• chrisn
        • Sep 2007

it sounds like it looks great, i'm sure it sounds great too

It wasn't really on my radar, but last year I saw/heard a Gibson LP DC tribute that raised my eyebrows, and recently saw them being blown out online (none in stock locally in my preferred color) and a nice blue one found its way to my doorstep)

Comment

• Lex
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Apr 2001

A blue guitar I do not have, and may never have, and that's ok, I am happy with my collection at this point I think. I got to back off spending on big items.
          Doug

Comment

• chrisn
            • Sep 2007

I'm a fan of blue, yet this is only my third blue guitar. Being content with what you have is an achievement all its own I've no plans for any big/moderate priced guitars, but i'd sure like a carved top SG some day)

Comment

• Lex
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Apr 2001

Holding this thread to acoustic, I could only find my D28E online right now, at least I Think it is an E:

It has a really nice alligator look case, that they say costs extra. May or may not be available now, I don't know, this is a cut away model, and has built in electronics for plugging into an amp. The volume and tone is inside the blow hole, lol. Right at the edge.

The back has a little flair, and it's got white to creme binding, somewhere in that range.

Silka top and mahogany body I believe...

It is a very nice D28, great tone, and will get better year after year after year. I still find that I like the smaller body guitars, I guess that's true whether in acoustic or electric... This one is a little large for my taste, but it can't be pryed from my hands with pocket change either...lol
              Doug

Comment

• Lex
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Apr 2001

Chris, finally, got some photos of Taz. Martin custom shop, 1 off: It's 1 off because of the Tazmanian Blackwood used in the guitar. I don't have to tell you, you will see. But it has a unobtrusive Silka top, Triple 000 smaller body, really a Sweet guitar, note the Taz Blackwood back, and sides, nicely bound, and fancy Mother of Pearl logo at the top. Ohhh, she is a sweet lady:

Doug

Comment

• chrisn
                  • Sep 2007

Sharp! The grain/figuring of the top on that D28E is crazy! Taz... I like what they did, the top looks nice, with a great warm color, but I would not expect the sides and back like that! Stealthy. That blackwood is something else entirely, i can only imagine how that pops in person:dudes::dudes: Very nice!

Comment

• Lex
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Apr 2001

I sometimes forget how beautiful the D28E is. Honestly. I don't get it out very much, but I am glad I have not traded it. The Tazmanian Blackwood Custom Shop guitar, hereafter known as Taz is really something special. She's my keeper forever. So modest looking on the front, then when you get to the sides and back, tied in by the headstock, it's like WOW, a Screamer! I am blessed with this guitar.

What is amazing to me, is they can turn such a thing of beauty out of a hunk of boards like this, this is my guitar:

Doug

Comment

• Kevin P
                      • Aug 2000

Nice lookin' gee-tar. :T

Comment

• Lex
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Apr 2001

Hard to believe it came from that pile of lumber, well, maybe not all of it, I am not sure if the silka is there or not, that's the top. I hope I spelled that right...
                        Doug

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"