X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Hey guys, I need an instant set wood glue,

would lock tight in the bottle be a good option, or some other suggestion. I broke two legs off this table that means a great deal to me. There is a lot of wood to glue, so that is the good news. It's a small table, so not a huge amount of stress. I tripped and fell and broke them. I broke one before just walking into the leg, table is in the way. I fixed it, but I do not believe this is the one that broke. It's an old antique table that belonged to my Mom, the legs stick out, and well, I don't have a lot of room for it, so it's going to be in the way probably always.

The wood is oak I believe.

But I want to get it fixed tomorrow.

Doug
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • Steve Manning
    • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Lex
    would lock tight in the bottle be a good option, or some other suggestion. I broke two legs off this table that means a great deal to me. There is a lot of wood to glue, so that is the good news. It's a small table, so not a huge amount of stress. I tripped and fell and broke them. I broke one before just walking into the leg, table is in the way. I fixed it, but I do not believe this is the one that broke. It's an old antique table that belonged to my Mom, the legs stick out, and well, I don't have a lot of room for it, so it's going to be in the way probably always.

The wood is oak I believe.

But I want to get it fixed tomorrow.

Doug
    Hey Doug,

About the only thing that will give you instant gratification is CA glue, i.e., super glue. I would not go that route for a permanent fix though. Why does it have to be instant?
    Last edited by Steve Manning; 07 December 2020, 20:38 Monday.
    Hold on to your butts - It's about to get Musical!

Comment

• Bear
      Super Senior Member
      • Dec 2008

Depending upon the nature of the break, clamps and bracing/strapping seem like a starting point, not an end point. And you want some open time for that.
      Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.

Comment

• technodanvan
        • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Steve Manning
        Hey Doug,

About the only thing that will give you instant gratification is CA glue, i.e., super glue. I would go that route for a permanent fix though. Why does it have to be instant?
        Point of order - I believe Steve meant he ~wouldn't~ use that as a permanent fix?

My grandfather would occasionally use Titebond 1 or 2 (I think 2) and just press a piece together by hand for a couple minutes before letting go and calling it good - no stress for a day of course. I'm not really recommending doing that, but unless you have clamps the choices are kind of limited.
        - Danny

Comment

• Steve Manning
          • Dec 2006

Originally posted by technodanvan
          Point of order - I believe Steve meant he ~wouldn't~ use that as a permanent fix?

My grandfather would occasionally use Titebond 1 or 2 (I think 2) and just press a piece together by hand for a couple minutes before letting go and calling it good - no stress for a day of course. I'm not really recommending doing that, but unless you have clamps the choices are kind of limited.
          Thanks for catching that Danny .... just fixed it. Yep, Titebond I II or III and clamps ought to do the trick.
          Hold on to your butts - It's about to get Musical!

Comment

• Lex
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Apr 2001

Thanks guys, I accidentally kicked a leg once before and it broke, they are pretty wirey bendy, and have a couple of thinner places. Well, my house is such a disaster zone, I got up from dinner and tripped and slammed down on the table and broke two legs. I did try super glue and gaffer tape to hold in place,2 different kinds as a matter of fact, and it did not setup. The wood is a little wormy looking inside, probably one reason is so weak.

I wound up using some Titebond and taking my time, gluing 1 leg at a time and let dry overnight. I used gaffer tape as my clamps, plus they had one rusty nail from the top to help hold. One came out really nice, the other is not perfect, but they are so low, you can't hardly see them. So, for now, it is mended ok. Oh, all the crooks and bends make it really difficult to clamp.

Thanks for the input! I will shoot a photo of them some day and you will see what I mean!

Happy holidays to our DIYers!

Doug
            Doug

Comment

• technodanvan
              • Nov 2009

I'm glad you got it sorted Doug, definitely post a picture sometime!
              - Danny

Comment

• Lex
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Apr 2001

Yes, already got special cards and photos in the only small drawer. Photos on top, so I am happy, photo still yet to come, I been working real hard here since Friday. First one project then another! Mostly moving stuff around, and preping for some haul out of here.

Here is a placeholder photo, lol.

I have perfected my bacon cooking skills since this was cooked. I cooked it to high, and fast. I found that a 5.5 on my range on non stick good cookware makes it perfect, if you flip it, flip it again about 2 times during cooking, I go by looks when it's done, not really time, though I would like to time it, the last I cooked had to unthaw while cooking, it worked out ok though, perfect strips, golden brown, no black.

Doug

Comment

• technodanvan
                  • Nov 2009

Well I dunno about anyone else, but now I'm hungry!
                  - Danny

Comment

• 1Michael
                    • Sep 2006

That's just cruel...
                    Michael
                    Chesapeake Va.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    😂
                    🥰
                    😘
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😞
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"