Help plan oneplustwo's listening room/home theatre/family room/

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oneplustwo
    • Jan 2010

Yes, I'm debating whether I should get one. Seems like a great deal but it's also not cheap. I'm thinking it might be the best option though. I'm a little worried about the ability of Dirac or parametric EQ to manage the line arrays, but I could try to work out a more optimized solution with two channel playback if it's not good enough. Plus, when I started this whole idea, I was originally JUST going to use parametric EQ. So I suppose it's an upgrade to that original plan already so perhaps I'm setting the bar too high.
    Last edited by oneplustwo; 27 July 2016, 17:38 Wednesday.
    Zaph SR-71
    Zaph ZDT 3.5
    Sunflower Redux
    12" Dayton HF sub
    CJD RS 150 MT
    Revelator bookshelf
    2x12 Guitar cab
    Corner loaded line array

Comment

• oneplustwo
      • Jan 2010

Well, I pulled the trigger on the XMC. Couldn't resist the discount price. I'll wire and install the 4 Atmos speakers in the ceiling. The rear wall will have a wet bar so I don't have room for in wall rear speakers. I've seen those installed in the ceiling too though. Is that ok?

I also found a couple four channel amps... a iNuke NU4-6000 (4x1600W) and an older Europower EPQ304 (4x75W). The iNuke seems like overkill for speakers that are only rated to about 75W in the first place. But it's only $350. The EPQ304 is about $240 but it's probably plenty for surround speaker duty. And it's only 1U tall so it's nice and tidy. Eventually, I can get one for the four Atmos speakers and stack it with the first one that will power the sides and rears. I may even be able to disable the fans since they'll only be used for surround duty.
      Last edited by oneplustwo; 28 July 2016, 01:52 Thursday.
      Zaph SR-71
      Zaph ZDT 3.5
      Sunflower Redux
      12" Dayton HF sub
      CJD RS 150 MT
      Revelator bookshelf
      2x12 Guitar cab
      Corner loaded line array

Comment

• scottvalentin
        • May 2015

Have you thought of a chip amp kit? A 4X50w should be plenty for surround duty. Check parts express's selection of Sure amp boards. The board and a PSU will probably run you around $100 and my experience is that the sound quality of those boards is pretty good. Plus then you get to build it!

Comment

• oneplustwo
          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by scottvalentin
          Have you thought of a chip amp kit? A 4X50w should be plenty for surround duty. Check parts express's selection of Sure amp boards. The board and a PSU will probably run you around $100 and my experience is that the sound quality of those boards is pretty good. Plus then you get to build it!
          I didn't find their chip amp but I did find a 4x100 class D module. That could work... although after you add all the enclosure and other stuff, the price difference isn't really that much. And to be honest, I've built so many amps, DACs, preamps, etc. that I'm less excited to do that work these days. Sacrilege, I know. But I'll look into options at least for the fun of it!

EDIT: I just came across this. It's designed for amplifying your home but with 12 channels, it can cover all my surrounds, the center, and also a couple exterior speakers I have in the plan. It's also Class D and passively cooled so no fans. 60 Watts per channel is probably a good place to be also. And at $600, it's a reasonable value given how many channels it's driving.
          Last edited by oneplustwo; 28 July 2016, 17:10 Thursday.
          Zaph SR-71
          Zaph ZDT 3.5
          Sunflower Redux
          12" Dayton HF sub
          CJD RS 150 MT
          Revelator bookshelf
          2x12 Guitar cab
          Corner loaded line array

Comment

• Hdale85
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

Welcome to Emotiva Audio Corporation. Home Audio Systems, Speakers & Accessories and more. We use science to evoke the true emotion behind every note.

110wpc x7

Comment

• oneplustwo
              • Jan 2010

I liked it but it's short 5 channels. But still an option I'm considering. Plus, it matches the XMC-1. And I'm in no hurry so maybe I can get it on sale over the holidays.
              Last edited by oneplustwo; 30 July 2016, 15:22 Saturday.
              Zaph SR-71
              Zaph ZDT 3.5
              Sunflower Redux
              12" Dayton HF sub
              CJD RS 150 MT
              Revelator bookshelf
              2x12 Guitar cab
              Corner loaded line array

Comment

• oneplustwo
                • Jan 2010

Update to line array built into frame:

Click image for larger version

Name:	28550089642_bb83edf38e_z.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	931162
                Last edited by theSven; 01 April 2023, 17:42 Saturday. Reason: Update image location
                Zaph SR-71
                Zaph ZDT 3.5
                Sunflower Redux
                12" Dayton HF sub
                CJD RS 150 MT
                Revelator bookshelf
                2x12 Guitar cab
                Corner loaded line array

Comment

• oneplustwo
                  • Jan 2010

Hmm, turns out the framing requirements are structural in nature after all so I can't just move 2x4's as I would like. However, I have an idea to basically make the top of the array open into the ceiling joists and have a sealed volume up there to accommodate what I'm missing directly behind the drivers. It's not exactly elegant, but I think it should work fine.
                  Zaph SR-71
                  Zaph ZDT 3.5
                  Sunflower Redux
                  12" Dayton HF sub
                  CJD RS 150 MT
                  Revelator bookshelf
                  2x12 Guitar cab
                  Corner loaded line array

Comment

• oneplustwo
                    • Jan 2010

The house is coming along nicely. We're in rough plumbing and electrical now. Solar panels are up and running. Will start putting radiant heat plumbing in shortly and getting insulation and drywall up after that.

Question for the group since I'm getting to the point where I need to run speaker wires.

I'm planning on wiring for 7.4.2 protecting for potential Atmos speakers. I will have the 2 side channel speakers in the wall but the two rears will be in the ceiling since I have a wet bar directly behind the couch. Keep in mind this is not a huge room... 12' wide by 20' deep with 7'6" ceilings roughly.

So the question is, how close to the edges should I put the 4 Atmos surround speakers? I was considering keeping them about 2' away from the corners. That makes them about 8' apart. But I also considered putting them right at the corners thinking that might minimize some unwanted reflections and perhaps create a greater illusion of sound stage. Same question for the two rears... Should they be in the corners or a couple feet away? It's a little uneven for one of those rear speakers since one corner opens into a hallway but that can't be helped.

Thanks in advance for the input!
                    Zaph SR-71
                    Zaph ZDT 3.5
                    Sunflower Redux
                    12" Dayton HF sub
                    CJD RS 150 MT
                    Revelator bookshelf
                    2x12 Guitar cab
                    Corner loaded line array

Comment

• dar47
                      • Nov 2008

If the rear surrounds have some tweeter focus ability, mine could be tilted forward a bit the distance behind the seating should take this in to consideration. You don't want the rears to close to the side surrounds, again I used 1/3 the width of the room and placed them out from the side wall that distance and of course inline with each other. This gave great fill and seamed coherent.

Comment

• oneplustwo
                        • Jan 2010

I think I'll be able to get them 1/3 the width as you mention for the rears. And a little bit behind the seating position. I think the Atmos speakers are supposed to be a little closer to the edges though based on the Dolby website.

Like this:

Here's a pic of the house while I'm at it:

Name:	30144003394_6e1f63d26d_z.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	931163
                        Last edited by theSven; 01 April 2023, 17:42 Saturday. Reason: Update image location
                        Zaph SR-71
                        Zaph ZDT 3.5
                        Sunflower Redux
                        12" Dayton HF sub
                        CJD RS 150 MT
                        Revelator bookshelf
                        2x12 Guitar cab
                        Corner loaded line array

Comment

• oneplustwo
                          • Jan 2010

Progress shot and a question.

Here's the room where all the stuff is going to go. It's just a shot of the insulation and rebar ahead of the concrete pour tomorrow. But any who...

Name:	31823991790_564207b256_z.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	931164

Also, speaker wires have been run for 7.1.4 and HDMI and power are run for the ceiling mounted projector. The in-wall/ceiling surrounds have been purchased and my old ZDT 3.5 center has been re-acquired from my brother. Will need to build the line array and IB subs when we move back in. Most of the other pieces are also ready to go but I still need the projector screen which leads me to my question.

First, I'm thinking about getting this:

Name:	51nq1mmKHZL._AC_SL1044_.jpg
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	931165

I think 120" will fill the wall nicely and still leave room for the arrays and the IB subs (about 1' space between the screen and walls). The question is whether it's ok to mount it so the top is right at the corner of the wall and ceiling. I'm wondering if there will be some wash out with light bouncing off the ceiling. I've seen others like this so I think it will be fine. Reason I want it up high is to make sure I have room for the IB sub holes to the other side of the wall. And also to make as much room as possible for all the amps, center channel, etc. that will be taking up residence in the front.

EDIT: one more question... opinions on white, gray, or silver screen? Projector is the Sony VPL-HW45ES (1800 lumens) and the room will be a mix of totally controlled light and not. For serious viewing, I will have blackout shades and such. But if we're entertaining and such, it may not be so controlled and in which case, I probably don't care so much about how it looks then anyway.
                          Thanks! I do plan on viewing some 3D but it isn't a huge priority.
                          Last edited by theSven; 01 April 2023, 17:43 Saturday. Reason: Update image location
                          Zaph SR-71
                          Zaph ZDT 3.5
                          Sunflower Redux
                          12" Dayton HF sub
                          CJD RS 150 MT
                          Revelator bookshelf
                          2x12 Guitar cab
                          Corner loaded line array

Comment

• oneplustwo
                            • Jan 2010

One more question. I think I can get 28 of the TC9 in each array. So I'm thinking four groups of 7 for a 14 ohm nominal load. Any other ideas for something better? (I'm driving these with Ncore 400.)

They are pouring the cement next week so I don't know for sure yet, but there's a chance I may need to go to 27 drivers. And that makes for a more difficult decision (24 or 2.7 ohm.). Hope that's not the case. Might need to go to 25 drivers for a 5x5 for a 8 ohm load if so. But that would leave a few inch gap in the array.
                            Last edited by oneplustwo; 14 January 2017, 12:42 Saturday. Reason: Mistake
                            Zaph SR-71
                            Zaph ZDT 3.5
                            Sunflower Redux
                            12" Dayton HF sub
                            CJD RS 150 MT
                            Revelator bookshelf
                            2x12 Guitar cab
                            Corner loaded line array

Comment

• oneplustwo
                              • Jan 2010

I had read someone had separated five drivers at a time in their own enclosure for some reason. It was something about making sure the drivers that were wired in series didn't share the same space as the others. I'm not sure why this would make a difference though. Minimizing the standing waves going up and down the column is the only thing I was thinking would be a design consideration. So I'm missing something?

Second question... is it better to mount these from the front or the rear? From the rear, I can just round over the front face with a 1/2" or 3/4" bit. Then I don't need to scallop the rear. And the front acts a bit like a horn although I don't know if anyone has actually measured this. And it also makes grill cloth installation more straight forward.
                              Zaph SR-71
                              Zaph ZDT 3.5
                              Sunflower Redux
                              12" Dayton HF sub
                              CJD RS 150 MT
                              Revelator bookshelf
                              2x12 Guitar cab
                              Corner loaded line array

Comment

• chrisn
                                • Sep 2007

Mounting them from the rear would let them breathe easier, and likely look better.

Comment

• chrisn
                                  • Sep 2007

Regarding horn loading/diffraction differences between front and rear mounted small woofers, I don't recall seeing any testing done. I do happen to have to no longer used baffles with HiVi B3N drivers mounted in them, from the front, with a 45 degree chamfer on the back side. I took one baffle, and reverse mounted the drivers, and left the other baffle as is. I don't have cabinets to mount these to, so I had to improvise a rear chamber.

Name:	cup testing 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	862624

Sorry for the low quality of the photo. Hopefully you can see the chamfer, which measures about .375", and the straight through cut portion, which measures just under .50". The thickness of the baffle is about .75". I think a much wider chamfer, or roundover, would perform better, but it's not router weather

This is the response with the drivers mounted from behind:

Name:	b3s rear mount 1.png
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	862625

The other baffle, with the drivers conventionally mounted (only one driver connected):

Name:	b3s front mount 1.png
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	862626

Some of the difference, mostly level, is due to the mic being further away from the driver when rear mounted. It was too noisy to attempt far field measurements, which may mitigate some of the issues. Hopefully this is of some use to you.

Comment

• oneplustwo
                                    • Jan 2010

Hmm, interesting. The conventionally mounted ones look smoother to me for sure. I assume these both are with just one driver connected? You mentioned it for one but not the other. I wonder if it's more interesting to see the results with the mic farther away?

Regardless, thanks for taking the effort to do this quick and dirty test. I imagine there must be some white paper or other previous work done on this subject?
                                    Zaph SR-71
                                    Zaph ZDT 3.5
                                    Sunflower Redux
                                    12" Dayton HF sub
                                    CJD RS 150 MT
                                    Revelator bookshelf
                                    2x12 Guitar cab
                                    Corner loaded line array

Comment

• chrisn
                                      • Sep 2007

Yes, those were all done with one driver at a time. I re-tested, using two drivers in parallel, at a greater distance.

Both drivers front mounted:

Name:	b3 front mount  56 inches both drivers.png
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	862627

Both drivers rear mounted:

Name:	b3 rear mount  56 inches both drivers.png
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	862628

I wanted to see how much effect the small chamfer has versus a larger one, and few things are as invigorating as routing baffles when it's -1 Fahrenheit with the wind chill :rf The large chamfer measures .75", almost double the original size. There wasn't enough meat to cut a roundover on the existing chamfer.

Name:	chamfers.jpg
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	862629

These measurements were done with just one driver, with the mic positioned between each driver, at a distance of 4 feet.

Small chamfer:

Name:	b3 rear mount small chamfer 4 feet.png
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	862630

Large chamfer:

Name:	b3 rear mount large chamfer 4 feet.png
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	862631

Comment

• oneplustwo
                                        • Jan 2010

Interesting. Thanks for pushing through the extreme conditions! Large chamfer seems to be a bit better behaved IMHO. Wonder if the width of the baffle itself with respect to the size/position of the hole and chamfer makes a difference.
                                        Zaph SR-71
                                        Zaph ZDT 3.5
                                        Sunflower Redux
                                        12" Dayton HF sub
                                        CJD RS 150 MT
                                        Revelator bookshelf
                                        2x12 Guitar cab
                                        Corner loaded line array

Comment

• chrisn
                                          • Sep 2007

I believe it does. This is on a 5.5" baffle, and the rear mounting diffraction effects seem to coincide with the peak caused by the baffles width. Of course there is no edge roundover on these baffles when I flip it around, so I think it's the worst case scenario. When I performed those measurements, I also tested a Zaph B3S design, with a 5" width, front mounted driver, and .50" roundover, and it's relatively smooth, aside from the room effects:

Name:	zaph b3 55 inches on floor.png
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	862633

Comment

• oneplustwo
                                            • Jan 2010

Interesting. This is a bit of a stretch from the last few posts, but I'm considering a bit of a horn type design for the array now too.

Name:	31846171694_f467090003_z.jpg
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	931166

Line array baffle would basically just be a 45 degree baffle in the room corners. And then I would figure out some way to have some sort of horn profile along the height of the array to create this effect. The radius would be about 3" or perhaps a little bigger. Might try using styrofoam to validate the concept first and if it works out then I could build something more permanent.

Thoughts?
                                            Last edited by theSven; 01 April 2023, 17:44 Saturday. Reason: Update image location
                                            Zaph SR-71
                                            Zaph ZDT 3.5
                                            Sunflower Redux
                                            12" Dayton HF sub
                                            CJD RS 150 MT
                                            Revelator bookshelf
                                            2x12 Guitar cab
                                            Corner loaded line array

Comment

• chrisn
                                              • Sep 2007

I'm really not sure how a large radius would would effect them, it should provide a boost somewhere. The Murphy corner arrays are mostly just a flat baffle, with a large, wide, dip in response. I couldn't find any tests using other baffle sizes or shapes. Do you plan to build a test box? Perhaps mounting the drivers off center could be of benefit?

Comment

• oneplustwo
                                                • Jan 2010

Now that I look at the volume I'm planning for (about 2.2L) and using 25 drivers to get the 5 series/5 parallel wiring setup despite having vertical space for 28 drivers, I think I can get the baffle to be a bit narrower. And as such, the space to the side of the drivers would be less to the point that the drivers are nearly in the corners. So I'm thinking I'll forego the additional profiling. Also, I'm not sure it would pass the WAF test.

I am still debating front vs rear mounting though. Rear mounting means less volume in the cabinet but maybe better response with the round over per your tests. It would be easier to do grill cloth too. So I'm leaning that way now using a 1/2" thick baffle. Feel better about that now also because the baffle width will be 7" compared to 8.5" as originally planned.
                                                Zaph SR-71
                                                Zaph ZDT 3.5
                                                Sunflower Redux
                                                12" Dayton HF sub
                                                CJD RS 150 MT
                                                Revelator bookshelf
                                                2x12 Guitar cab
                                                Corner loaded line array

Comment

• chrisn
                                                  • Sep 2007

I wasn't sure how high the WAF would be with brightly colored pool noodles on each side Is the baffle going to be removable?

Comment

• oneplustwo
                                                    • Jan 2010

Baffle will be removable. Basically, it's just going to be screwed directly into the walls since I have plywood shear walls to screw directly into. I'll probably seal with some foam tape. I need to think a bit about the top and bottom but at the moment, I'm thinking I'll just have a triangular piece that will meet the baffle already installed so I don't have any problems actually angling it into place.

Also, thinking front mounting now with maybe some felt (in orange) going top to bottom to the corner to smooth out that junction and prevent higher frequency reflections. And then grill cloth (in pink) covering it all.

Like this:

Name:	32327954600_edf48072ac_z.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	931167
                                                    Last edited by theSven; 01 April 2023, 17:44 Saturday. Reason: Update image location
                                                    Zaph SR-71
                                                    Zaph ZDT 3.5
                                                    Sunflower Redux
                                                    12" Dayton HF sub
                                                    CJD RS 150 MT
                                                    Revelator bookshelf
                                                    2x12 Guitar cab
                                                    Corner loaded line array

Comment

• flamethrower1
                                                      • May 2008

Originally posted by oneplustwo
                                                      I had read someone had separated five drivers at a time in their own enclosure for some reason. It was something about making sure the drivers that were wired in series didn't share the same space as the others. I'm not sure why this would make a difference though. Minimizing the standing waves going up and down the column is the only thing I was thinking would be a design consideration. So I'm missing something?

Second question... is it better to mount these from the front or the rear? From the rear, I can just round over the front face with a 1/2" or 3/4" bit. Then I don't need to scallop the rear. And the front acts a bit like a horn although I don't know if anyone has actually measured this. And it also makes grill cloth installation more straight forward.
                                                      I built the IDS25 clones this way (5 drivers in each compartment) per JMs recommendation due to differences in BL from all of the speakers.
                                                      All of the other array builds I have seen did not do this, not much help I know, hope it helps some what

Comment

• oneplustwo
                                                        • Jan 2010

Thanks for the input. I'm thinking I will likely not split up into totally separate compartments but I may add some bracing that will cut down on resonances and also reduce the risk of standing waves. Part of the rationale is to maximize the available volume while minimizing the baffle width.
                                                        Zaph SR-71
                                                        Zaph ZDT 3.5
                                                        Sunflower Redux
                                                        12" Dayton HF sub
                                                        CJD RS 150 MT
                                                        Revelator bookshelf
                                                        2x12 Guitar cab
                                                        Corner loaded line array

Comment

• oneplustwo
                                                          • Jan 2010

Been busy learning a little Fusion 360 to more accurately model the enclosure. Also, a member at DIY audio had a model of the TC9 that I was able to use. Still trying to figure out if I'm ok with the back wave being so close to the driver. And whether I can get away with a 1/4" aluminum baffle that's 160mm wide. It will be screwed into the wall every 84mm so it should be quite rigid. I may line it with mass loaded vinyl as well. And there's also the option of doing a layered baffle with either plywood or MDF. Or I could just do a 3/4" ply baffle with bracing. Lots of options. Notice there are also 2" holes to the side of each driver that will lead to a space stuffed with fiberglass to get the Q a bit closer to .8 or so.

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-02-11 at 12.16.39 AM.jpg
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	862654

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-02-11 at 12.17.17 AM.jpg
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	862655

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-02-11 at 12.17.32 AM.jpg
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	862656

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-02-11 at 12.18.36 AM.jpg
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	862657

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-02-10 at 11.49.27 PM.jpg
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	862658
                                                          Zaph SR-71
                                                          Zaph ZDT 3.5
                                                          Sunflower Redux
                                                          12" Dayton HF sub
                                                          CJD RS 150 MT
                                                          Revelator bookshelf
                                                          2x12 Guitar cab
                                                          Corner loaded line array

Comment

• TEK
                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                            • Oct 2002

are you able to cut the side of the baffel at 45 degrees so that it will be flush with the wall, instead of it just beeing a sharp edge that connect it to the wall (left side on picture)?
                                                            Or add a small pice of wood along the wall on the back of the baffle that it can rest on (right side of picture)?

Name:	baffel.jpg
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	862659
                                                            -TEK

Many of the great achievements of the world were accomplished by tired and discouraged men who kept on working...

Comment

• oneplustwo
                                                              • Jan 2010

Yes, I should be able to make that cut. Either with my router or on my table saw with an aluminum cutting blade.
                                                              Zaph SR-71
                                                              Zaph ZDT 3.5
                                                              Sunflower Redux
                                                              12" Dayton HF sub
                                                              CJD RS 150 MT
                                                              Revelator bookshelf
                                                              2x12 Guitar cab
                                                              Corner loaded line array

Comment

• oneplustwo
                                                                • Jan 2010

Since the idea is to isolate the baffle from the wall though, would it be better to let the edge rest against the neoprene? Would that not reduce the amount of energy transferred to the walls?
                                                                Zaph SR-71
                                                                Zaph ZDT 3.5
                                                                Sunflower Redux
                                                                12" Dayton HF sub
                                                                CJD RS 150 MT
                                                                Revelator bookshelf
                                                                2x12 Guitar cab
                                                                Corner loaded line array

Comment

• oneplustwo
                                                                  • Jan 2010

Progress... will start the line array build soon.

Name:	18423072_10155419916234940_7376300120915357486_o.jpg
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	862971
                                                                  Zaph SR-71
                                                                  Zaph ZDT 3.5
                                                                  Sunflower Redux
                                                                  12" Dayton HF sub
                                                                  CJD RS 150 MT
                                                                  Revelator bookshelf
                                                                  2x12 Guitar cab
                                                                  Corner loaded line array

Comment

• chrisn
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Sep 2007

Looks sharp. What size screen did you end up using?

Comment

• oneplustwo
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Jan 2010

120" fit perfectly. Will be nice when 4K projectors come down into my budget!
                                                                      Zaph SR-71
                                                                      Zaph ZDT 3.5
                                                                      Sunflower Redux
                                                                      12" Dayton HF sub
                                                                      CJD RS 150 MT
                                                                      Revelator bookshelf
                                                                      2x12 Guitar cab
                                                                      Corner loaded line array

Comment

• oneplustwo
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Jan 2010

Getting close... room is done. Still need to build the line arrays but planning the AV cabinet and the subwoofer integration now. Behind the wall, there's actually a bit of a concrete foundation the entire way across that goes to about 8" above the floor. I'm thinking I could drill some pocket holes in some 2x4's for the mounting frame and tap con through those holes into the footer. That would pretty much isolate the subs from the wall and I think prevent vibration from getting to the house in general. True, that leaves half of the frame attached to the wall itself, but I feel much better about this than not doing so. I'm still considering having the two woofers facing each other with forces canceling each other out. But that still leaves potential for vibration in the cabinet itself and I'm sensitive to that given I will have a record player on top. The first method leaves the AV cabinet isolated from the subs entirely.

Thoughts?
                                                                        Zaph SR-71
                                                                        Zaph ZDT 3.5
                                                                        Sunflower Redux
                                                                        12" Dayton HF sub
                                                                        CJD RS 150 MT
                                                                        Revelator bookshelf
                                                                        2x12 Guitar cab
                                                                        Corner loaded line array

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                          Mad Max Moderator
                                                                          • Aug 2000
                                                                          • 15313

A record player on top of the sub woofer? You are indeed a brave man... A DAC, I might not be too worried about, though some people do go all OCD about vibration into any kind of component. I'm having trouble visualizing from your verbal description- any chance of a sketch?

Force cancellation in a common cabinet can't help but be a good thing, but I'm getting the impression you're talking about two separate cabinets facing in to each other?
                                                                          the AudioWorx
                                                                          Natalie P
                                                                          M8ta
                                                                          Modula Neo DCC
                                                                          Modula MT XE
                                                                          Modula Xtreme
                                                                          Isiris
                                                                          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                          Minerva Monitor
                                                                          Calliope
                                                                          Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                          Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                                                                          Obi-Wan
                                                                          Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                                                                          Modula PWB
                                                                          Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                          Natalie P Ultra
                                                                          Natalie P Supreme
                                                                          Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                                                                          Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• oneplustwo
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Jan 2010
                                                                            • 666

Indeed. I'm now considering Tapcons down into the concrete floor and then back into the foundation footer ONLY with no connections to the wall at all. That shouldn't vibrate anything.

I'll draw up a sketch shortly... I think it will do the trick though. It will take a little more effort but not much.
                                                                            Zaph SR-71
                                                                            Zaph ZDT 3.5
                                                                            Sunflower Redux
                                                                            12" Dayton HF sub
                                                                            CJD RS 150 MT
                                                                            Revelator bookshelf
                                                                            2x12 Guitar cab
                                                                            Corner loaded line array

Comment

• Steve Manning
                                                                              Moderator
                                                                              • Dec 2006
                                                                              • 1898

A sketch would be good ..... though having done some vibration control for vacuum pumps and other stuff, any kind of rigid connection will typically have a tendency to transmit vibration. You might want to look at McMaster Carr, they might give you some ideas since they carry of bunch of vibration control goodies. https://www.mcmaster.com/#vibration-...ounts/=17x9gfi as an example.
                                                                              Hold on to your butts - It's about to get Musical!

WEBSITE: http://www.smjaudio.com/

Comment

• oneplustwo
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Jan 2010
                                                                                • 666

I see your point. I was also planning on layering some butyl sheets between the sub and the concrete so it wouldn't be an entirely rigid connection. Think that would be good enough? Plus the concrete slab is rebar reinforced and 6" deep. And the foundation footer is 12" tall, 12' wide, and about 4' deep. So there's lot of mass there.
                                                                                Zaph SR-71
                                                                                Zaph ZDT 3.5
                                                                                Sunflower Redux
                                                                                12" Dayton HF sub
                                                                                CJD RS 150 MT
                                                                                Revelator bookshelf
                                                                                2x12 Guitar cab
                                                                                Corner loaded line array

Comment

• oneplustwo
                                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                                  • Jan 2010
                                                                                  • 666

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-06-04 at 9.14.43 AM.jpg
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	863004

Here's a sketch of the room for context.

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-06-04 at 9.16.48 AM.jpg
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	863005

And a basic layout of the components overlaid on top of an older photo of the wall.

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-06-04 at 9.23.52 AM.jpg
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	863006

And here's what I'm thinking the cabinet would be like. To clarify, the sub enclosures would not be attached... the face frames and such would be more like a facade. Also, the lighter brown color is grill cloth to hide the drivers of the subs and the center channel. The other components just sit on the floor. Finally, the top of the cabinet would be hinged so I can access the turntable.

Any input welcome!

Edit: another thought would be to cover all of it in grill cloth. I think it's transparent to IR. Or I can use an IR repeater if not.
                                                                                  Zaph SR-71
                                                                                  Zaph ZDT 3.5
                                                                                  Sunflower Redux
                                                                                  12" Dayton HF sub
                                                                                  CJD RS 150 MT
                                                                                  Revelator bookshelf
                                                                                  2x12 Guitar cab
                                                                                  Corner loaded line array

Comment

• Steve Manning
                                                                                    Moderator
                                                                                    • Dec 2006
                                                                                    • 1898

Originally posted by oneplustwo
                                                                                    I see your point. I was also planning on layering some butyl sheets between the sub and the concrete so it wouldn't be an entirely rigid connection. Think that would be good enough? Plus the concrete slab is rebar reinforced and 6" deep. And the foundation footer is 12" tall, 12' wide, and about 4' deep. So there's lot of mass there.
                                                                                    The butyl sheets ought to do the trick I would think .... I'm sure you could go with something exotic, though probably not worth the investment.
                                                                                    Hold on to your butts - It's about to get Musical!

WEBSITE: http://www.smjaudio.com/

Comment

• oneplustwo
                                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                                      • Jan 2010
                                                                                      • 666

Been a long time since an update.

One of two floor to ceiling line array speaker baffles milled into Swiss cheese to accept drivers. I love the smell of cutting fluid in the evening!

The 3” hole saw rings like crazy though. Enough that I need hearing protection and I’m pretty sure the neighbors are glad I stopped before starting the second one. That said, it got through the first 28 holes without any real problems. I'm hopeful it makes it through the remaining 28 as well although I have a backup if need be.

On a side note, the big Jet drill press I got worked pretty well. I had to reseat the chuck once after I pushed it a little too hard but otherwise, smooth sailing with some cutting fluid and a soft touch.

One more to go and then I need to mill the wood supports/mounting strips and get the drivers mounted/wired up.

Name:	22195444_10155883793979940_806491159575748859_n.jpg
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	863215Click image for larger version

Name:	22050125_10155883793934940_6531332842281096784_n.jpg
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	863216Click image for larger version

Name:	22154599_10155883793939940_2840418830076079529_n.jpg
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	863217
                                                                                      Zaph SR-71
                                                                                      Zaph ZDT 3.5
                                                                                      Sunflower Redux
                                                                                      12" Dayton HF sub
                                                                                      CJD RS 150 MT
                                                                                      Revelator bookshelf
                                                                                      2x12 Guitar cab
                                                                                      Corner loaded line array

Comment

• chrisn
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • Sep 2007
                                                                                        • 166

Looks straight and aligned. How long did it take to make all those cuts? Isn't it annoying when the chuck falls off?

Comment

• oneplustwo
                                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                                          • Jan 2010
                                                                                          • 666

I did it in stages. First measuring and marking all the holes. Then drilling all the mounting holes with my tiny press. Then I tried the big hole but my tiny press wasn’t close to capable. (It’s a harbor freight one that I got for free years ago.). Then I had to research and buy the upgraded Jet drill press. Long story short, a long time. The hole saw holes were probably only about 3 min of actual cutting each though. Not too bad.

EDIT: The first time the chuck fell off I thought I sheared the thing off for good. Thankfully, I figured out how these things work in short order...
                                                                                          Zaph SR-71
                                                                                          Zaph ZDT 3.5
                                                                                          Sunflower Redux
                                                                                          12" Dayton HF sub
                                                                                          CJD RS 150 MT
                                                                                          Revelator bookshelf
                                                                                          2x12 Guitar cab
                                                                                          Corner loaded line array

Comment

• TEK
                                                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                                                            • Oct 2002
                                                                                            • 1670

That is just so cool!
                                                                                            -TEK

Many of the great achievements of the world were accomplished by tired and discouraged men who kept on working...

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"