DIY Room Treatment / Acoustic Panels - Any Ideas?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lewisimo
    • Jan 2009

DIY Room Treatment / Acoustic Panels - Any Ideas?

As above please. I live in a rented flat so can't go crazy and install a full on room treatment system :P so I had some ideas after seeing some other peoples set ups on here. Basically I thought of creating some 'acoustic panels' which are essentially rectangular pieces of wood with an acousitc foam affixed to it, so it can be freestanding and moved where required. I would paint it white so it blends in, it obviously has to look nice as well as be functional! 8) Looked at some foam on ebay and it's not THAT pricey, just wondering if you guys had any suggestions or perhaps you could post pics of your solutions? My room isn't huge and I have french windows so not the best for acoustics (or so I don't think). Here's a quick snap of my room/hifi set up, as I also need advice as to where I should locate said panels:

Images not available

Here is the room:

Images not available

Thanks guys!
    Last edited by theSven; 28 June 2023, 22:36 Wednesday. Reason: Remove broken image links
  • johnathanwinter
    • Mar 2009

from what i have seen many room treatments can be made and hung on a wall like pictures. different fabrics can be used (as long as you can breathe through them i think) that can better fit into your decor. thats about all i know about room treatments.

oh and there is something about a sitting in the middle of your room with a mirror to find first reflective points.

ill be watching this thread.

Comment

• wkhanna
      Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

Here are some links, hope ths helps.

_

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
      ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• john trials
        • Mar 2009

There are some links on the left-hand side of the page that tell you how to make your own acoustic panels. I haven't tried them yet, so I cannot comment on their effectiveness.
        Statements: "They usually kill the desire to build anything else."

Comment

• chas
          • Jul 2005

You can find some good info in this forum as well:
          Expert advise on acoustical treatment for your home theater or audio room.

Comment

• ---k---
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Nov 2005

Not flashy, but I think this website is the best:

Note the page on absorption coefficients. You'll note that you want to use something like Owen Coring OC703 for best results. And, if you can hang the panels off the wall 4"+, the results improve significantly.
            - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
            CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
            CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Face
              • Mar 2007

Here's what I use:
              Order Direct - GIK Acoustics designs made-to-order bass traps, acoustic panels and acoustic diffusion for home theaters, recording studios, restaurants, listening rooms, auditoriums, and any environment where listening is critical. 5-Star Rated from +500 reviews for our acoustic treatment panels and acoustic room treatments. GIK Acoustics is known for its expert room acoustics advice and as a leader in producing the highest quality acoustic panels and sound panels at the most affordable price. Headquartered in Atlanta, GA, GIK Acoustics creates the most effective sound absorbing panels and sound diffusers for commercial and residential applications, used in any space where sound clarity is important.

I'm currently using two monster bass traps and four 244's.

I would also look into rearranging the room. Any way you could place one tower on each side of your TV stand and form a equilateral triangle? From the pictures, it appears your symmetry is off.
              SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

• Lewisimo
                • Jan 2009

Those are excellent - thanks very much guys!

Comment

• ThomasW
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by john trials
                  http://www.theaudioworx.com/

There are some links on the left-hand side of the page that tell you how to make your own acoustic panels. I haven't tried them yet, so I cannot comment on their effectiveness.
                  Since I created them I can comment..they work quite well...

That said, my other webpage on this topic is far more comprehensive..

It's best to start by 'mapping' the room. We've covered this numerous times in other threads. You can get the basics of it from the example seen the the ETF 5.0 demo room.....

From the looks of your room you should start by treating the first reflection points. The easiest way to find those is with the "mirror trick"

Have a friend move a mirror around the room, floor, walls, ceiling, etc. Where ever you see a reflection of the speakers is a 1st reflection point that should be treated.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• fbov
                    • Jun 2008

Lots of good ideas on making traps, but nothing on placing them...

I'm on my second run through Toole's book, Sound Reproduction. He has several "memos for listening room recommendations" in Chpt 8, Imaging and Spatial Effects in Sound Reproduction.
                    - add sound absorbing material to front wall
                    - for stereo, leave side walls reflective at first-reflection points (optional for multichannel)
                    - add sound absorbing material or diffusers to the center portion of the rear wall (with a comfirming memo)
                    - use reflective or scattering surfaces on walls opposite side surround loudspeakers to enhance envelopment, but be careful about flutter echos
                    - think twice (or more) about using dipole surround loudspeakers; there seem to be better choices (I know, not a room treatment, but an outcome of the analysis that led to the room treatment recommendations.)

That said, your room layout is far from typical, and your listening position is a worse case - heads on the wall, an unavoidable pressure max. I understand rental and WAF issues drive a lot of things, but there are two obvious and decorative things that you can take with you:
                    - window treatments
                    - carpeting

Not to comment on lifestyle, but most folks have curtains on their windows, and heavy curtains are an excellent absorber when made with deep pleats (for depth) and spaced a few inches from the wall by the curtain rod. You don't even have curtain rods!

Carpet is kind of obvious, but the key for broad-band absorption is a thick pad; Toole recommends a 40 oz/sq yd felt underlayment. While curtains are frequently custom made for a window, sliding glass doors are all about the same height and carpets travel well...

I'd suggest starting with an area rug and curtains, and adding some free-standing absorbers at the front wall. You have a very sparse room and will see big effects quickly as you add treatments.

Have fun,
                    Frank

Comment

• fbov
                      • Jun 2008

Originally posted by ThomasW
                      ...From the looks of your room you should start by treating the first reflection points. ...
                      Not to be contentious, but the data directly contradicts this recommendation in home stereo environments, especially as a first step in an otherwise sparsely furnished room. Listener preference rises as reflection angle increases due to decreased correlation between left and right ear sensations. Eliminating first reflections removes the sounds that provide the decreased correlation.

Note that all listeners preferred reflective side walls when the goal was stereo listening enjoyment. Absorbing side walls were preferred for monitoring a recording process or examining audio products by those who knew what to listen for.

In my book, that's more likely to be you, Thomas, than it is the majority of us.

Have fun,
                      Frank

Comment

• ThomasW
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

Before he does any room treatments he really should rearrange the furniture, creating some form of symmetry for the speakers and moving the listening position away from the wall.

I don't know what the white cases are, but they can be stacked on the wall between the speakers, and the TV placed on top. The sofa should be rotated 90 degrees, placed in front of and out from the glass doors. This will create paths on the side walls for accessing the glass doors

Then he should start playing with acoustic treatments.

And FWIW, I have 2 listening rooms. One over-damped for the analytical process of evaluating equipment and recordings, the other room is much more acoustically 'live'.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• fbov
                          • Jun 2008

I agree 100% with your interior rearrangement recommendations, and I'm not the least surprised you have created two different acoustic environments. My post was based on an assumption that the OP wanted the latter.
                          Frank

Comment

• Face
                            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by fbov
                            Note that all listeners preferred reflective side walls when the goal was stereo listening enjoyment. Absorbing side walls were preferred for monitoring a recording process or examining audio products by those who knew what to listen for.
                            Blanket statements don't apply here. I prefer absorbing side traps(1st reflection) for music, and I know others who do as well. As always, YMMV.

Comment

• fbov
                              • Jun 2008

You've taken my statement out of context.

I was referring to my prior post regarding specific studies of the effect of first side reflections on sonic preference. Thus "all listeners" means all study participants, regardless of skill or experience, not the general population.

I also suspect you and other audio forum participants enjoy critical listening more than most...

Comment

• lunchmoney
                                • Jul 2008

Originally posted by fbov

I hung rigid fiberglass panels on the reflections points of the side walls, and the front wall of my listening room... which is purely for enjoyment, not monitoring or ultra-critical lstening... the difference it made was fantastic. The imaging and depth of soundstage was dramatically improved.

Much more "enjoyable" ... and I don't consider myself a picky audiophile.

Comment

• ColoradoTom
                                  • Feb 2006

If you have basic woodworking skills and have access the the owens-corning rigid fiberglas panels you can make inexpensive and very effective acoustic panels. I've created several of these using cheap cedar lumber as a frame combined with grey fabric that look just fine. If you want pictures I can post them.

Tom

Comment

• lunchmoney
                                    • Jul 2008

Originally posted by ColoradoTom
                                    If you have basic woodworking skills and have access the the owens-corning rigid fiberglas panels you can make inexpensive and very effective acoustic panels. I've created several of these using cheap cedar lumber as a frame combined with grey fabric that look just fine. If you want pictures I can post them.

Tom
                                    Or you can simply wrap the fiberglass panels directly with fabric, and just hang 'em on the walls... no wood required... that's what I did, and they look just fine.

Comment

• Lewisimo
                                      • Jan 2009

Right, I have received some heavy criticism on another forum for my 'sparsely decorated' room so I have taken heed and moved things around tonight! Results are: More symetry in the listening postition, and it also looks tidier too which is nice! Regarding the curtain rail, ha, it's funny you should say that as we have been meaning to sort something out, but not sure whether the landlady will get funny about us drilling brackets onto the wall (she is a bit of a battle axe) :P I thought of perhaps getting a screen to go in front of the window though...or something along those lines anyway.
                                      I like the wooden floors and have never been a fan of carpet, but I may try and get a larger rug like you guys have suggested. It's hard to take criticism of your home style I tell you! :B I will post up a pic of the new arrangement tomorrow, then we can hopefully work on where you think I should place the panels etc. It does seem to echo a fair bit in here for sure!

Comment

• Lewisimo
                                        • Jan 2009

Oh if you guys could post some pics of your ideas/solutions that would be great also - thanks very much!

Comment

• ---k---
                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                          • Nov 2005

My corner trap (without the finish trim) and wall panels. Old pictures.

Bob's website linked above has lots of good photos.

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 071 (1).jpg
Views:	643
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	852358

Name:	photo 045 (1).jpg
Views:	797
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	852359

Name:	111_1186.JPG
Views:	848
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	852360

Name:	111_1189.JPG
Views:	759
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	852361
                                          Last edited by theSven; 01 April 2023, 20:31 Saturday. Reason: Update image location
                                          - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                                          CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                                          CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Face
                                            • Mar 2007

Image not available
                                            Room shot
                                            Last edited by theSven; 01 April 2023, 20:36 Saturday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• wkhanna
                                              • Jan 2006

Hey! I see your avitar on the wall!

V nice room!
                                              _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Lewisimo
                                                • Jan 2009

I do like how the flat panels look too, pretty mint dude!

Comment

• Dennis H
                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                  • Aug 2002

- for stereo, leave side walls reflective at first-reflection points (optional for multichannel)

Listener preference rises as reflection angle increases due to decreased correlation between left and right ear sensations. Eliminating first reflections removes the sounds that provide the decreased correlation.
                                                  I should get his book but are you sure he isn't talking about opposite wall first reflections (left speaker, right wall)? They are delayed enough in time and at big enough an angle to be uncorrelated. But a reflection from a wall right next to a speaker would only be delayed a few ms. and would be at almost the same angle. I've always thought you should absorb or diffuse those reflections to avoid muddying the image.

Comment

• johnathanwinter
                                                    • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Lewisimo
                                                    I do like how the flat panels look too, pretty mint dude!
                                                    been looking at the picture and i dont see a pretty looking mint color anywhere.

Comment

• Armbender
                                                      • Jul 2005

this is my set-up...i will be making some panels soon..is my placement correct

I'm wondering if # 2 & 3 should be 1 corner panel or have them seperate as shown...same with # XX..should that be a cornered one..my sub is placed very close in the corner
                                                      Samsung UN60C6300 | Primare SP32 | Primare A30.7 | Oppo BDP-103 | PS Audio Quintet | AppleTV | ELAC 247 Black Edition | ELAC CC 241 Black Edition | B&W DM 600 S3 | SVS PC 13 Ultra | Straight Wire Virtuoso | Harmonic Technology Pro 9's | Black Sands Power Cords

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                        • Jan 2006

Not a bad configuration for this room.
                                                        My suggestions would be:
                                                        1. move your speakers away form the back wall, towards the center of room at least 6' or more, if possible
                                                        2. get a bigger rug, or add more rugs ifs you have hard surface flooring
                                                        3. add drapes on the wall behind the couch, if possible.

As Always, JMHO, YMMV
                                                        _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Armbender
                                                          • Jul 2005

Originally posted by wkhanna
                                                          Not a bad configuration for this room.
                                                          My suggestions would be:
                                                          1. move your speakers away form the back wall, towards the center of room at least 6' or more, if possible
                                                          2. get a bigger rug, or add more rugs ifs you have hard surface flooring
                                                          3. add drapes on the wall behind the couch, if possible.

As Always, JMHO, YMMV
                                                          thanks for the advice..ill move the speakers out 6"s..i cant drape behind the couch as there is no wall..its a stair case railing as it opens up to the bottom floor stairs,..
                                                          Samsung UN60C6300 | Primare SP32 | Primare A30.7 | Oppo BDP-103 | PS Audio Quintet | AppleTV | ELAC 247 Black Edition | ELAC CC 241 Black Edition | B&W DM 600 S3 | SVS PC 13 Ultra | Straight Wire Virtuoso | Harmonic Technology Pro 9's | Black Sands Power Cords

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                            • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Armbender
                                                            i cant drape behind the couch as there is no wall..its a stair case railing as it opens up to the bottom floor stairs,..
                                                            That is probably not a bad thing, then, AFA limiting reflections.

I forgot to add, corners X-2 & X-3 would most likely benefit from some sort of absorbtion treatments.
                                                            _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Armbender
                                                              • Jul 2005

That is probably not a bad thing, then, AFA limiting reflections.

I forgot to add, corners X-2 & X-3 would most likely benefit from some sort of absorbtion treatments.
                                                              yeah for all my X-#'s..im going to install triangular peices 15"s per side in each of the corners of the ceiling...just not sure about #2 and #3 wether it should be 1 corner panel or 1 panel on each the the 2 walls surrounding the right speaker

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                                • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Armbender
                                                                thanks for the advice..ill move the speakers out 6"s....
                                                                Just for the sake of clarification, I was referring to you front main speakers.
                                                                Your rear surrounds are probably just fine.

BTW, I have always dreamt of doing a motorcycle tour of Nova Scotia. I hear it is just amazing, especially around June.
                                                                _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Armbender
                                                                  • Jul 2005

Just for the sake of clarification, I was referring to you front main speakers.
                                                                  Your rear surrounds are probably just fine.

BTW, I have always dreamt of doing a motorcycle tour of Nova Scotia. I hear it is just amazing, especially around June.
                                                                  its amayzing..especially in Cape Breton where my wife is from

Comment

• juliovideo
                                                                    • Mar 2009

I like the ancient system the most ........... Acoustic Curtain Fabric.

Image not available

Links to 4 retail websites removed by moderator.
                                                                    Last edited by theSven; 28 June 2023, 22:40 Wednesday. Reason: Remove broken image link
                                                                    "Liberty is the right of every man to be honest, to think and to speak without hypocrisy.."

José Martí (1853 to 1895)

Comment

• Lewisimo
                                                                      • Jan 2009

Right, I had a room shuffle yesterday, and here's how it is now. Don't be alarmed about the radiator, the speaker is further away from it than it looks in the pic, also it's only on low heat!

It sounds better, although it's still echoy in the room. I think i'm going to buy some acoustic foam and make up some panels as I really don't like the idea of big artisan rugs etc!

Let me know what you think, thanks!

Images not available
                                                                      Last edited by theSven; 28 June 2023, 22:37 Wednesday. Reason: Remove broken image links

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                                        • Jan 2006

Nice work!

I would expect that to sound significantly better.
                                                                        I like pillows you put in the corner, too.

Without a rug and drapes, I would think it will difficult to tame the 'echoy' character you describe, though. Even a small rug at your first reflection point on the floor may make a noticeable difference.
                                                                        _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Lewisimo
                                                                          Member
                                                                          • Jan 2009

Cheers dude, the fat cushions are there as I was doing an experiment to check out how the bass was affected. I went to a friends today and he has smaller speakers but a busy room (full of sh*te basically!) and a carpet, and it did sound good I must say.

Comment

Working...
                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                          Search Result for "|||"