X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Evil Twin
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

Daisy Rey, a Little sister to the Natalie P

While addressing logistic and fabrication issues for a new POC task for a possible "Statement" level system, not to be confused with "The Statements", I have undertaken a refreshingly simple effort to create a compact and affordable "sister" to the now unavailable Natalie P. Of course, as such, it should be an MTM, and naturally it should perform at an unexpected level of competence, as in the case of the namesake.

Even with the Force as your ally, nothing is assured, but the initial investigations are proving to be promising... most promising.

The components chosen are the Faital 5FE120 5" mid woofer, most often employed for relatively high fidelity professional line arrays in sound reinforcement, and a relatively obscure part from SB Acoustics, the SB19ST.

As you can see, the basics show some potential...

Click image for larger version

Name:	5FE120 SPL+Impedance.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	872656

Name:	SB19ST SPL.jpg
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	872657

Some calculation indicates that even with a standard text box on hand (15L), a vented alignment may be quite useful and musical...

Name:	Diasy Rey 15L SPL.jpg
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	872658

And this output level at barely over half the rated Xmax.

In 20L, a slightly flatter response is possible, using passive radiators, but the extra volume and expense may not be truly worthwhile.
    DFAL
    Dark Force Acoustic Labs

A wholly owned subsidiary of Palpatine Heavy Industries
  • Evil Twin
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

A test enclosure is in preparation... the layout is obvious even to a baby Sarlacc, given the antecedents and goals.

Name:	Daisy Rey Layout PDF Cap SS.jpg
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	867011

For this first experiment, a removable phenolic panel will be used for driver mounting...

Name:	IMG_5235SS.jpg
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	867012

Should adjustments such as a laterally offset tweeter be desired, a new front plate will accommodate that.

It is anticipated that a series crossover similar to the NatalieP will be employed, but due to driver characteristics, it should be possible to simplify or remove some networks.
    DFAL
    Dark Force Acoustic Labs

Comment

• Kevin P
      • Aug 2000

I just had to comment because of the Star Wars references. The name "Daisy Rey" caught my eye.

Is the Natalie P a reference to the prequels?

Kevin - a Jedi wannabe

Comment

• Evil Twin
        Super Senior Member
        • Nov 2004

Yes, it is.
        DFAL
        Dark Force Acoustic Labs

Comment

• Evil Twin
          Super Senior Member
          • Nov 2004

Efforts are coming together in spite of logistic delays and mislaid equipment- never trust an aging droid!

One delaying factor is the necessity to assemble a new test configuration using locally available materials and supplies, adapting to purpose as required. This is progressing well, but some key items will not arrive until later today for completing the test station. But the general configuration can be observed in this image...

Name:	Measurment Station SS.jpg
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	867013

specialty cables and construction materials are not usually available locally in this isolated backwater of the galaxy...

A shipment of a preferred acoustical absorption material did arrive on time, and will be used for this project and a more massive "DeathStar" like effort to begin shortly...

Name:	313RWgRTBvL._AC_.jpg
Size:	6.1 KB
ID:	867014

This is ATS denim acoustical batting, which reportedly used to be available from a variety of vendors, including local, but with these local "supply chain" issues the local supply seems to have been exhausted, and this problem extends to other online vendors.

Ease of handling and high levels of acoustic performance in past experiments have driven it's adoption.
          DFAL
          Dark Force Acoustic Labs

Comment

• duvixan
            • Sep 2012

Hello! Any progress with this project? Thank you

Comment

• Evil Twin
              Super Senior Member
              • Nov 2004

Due to surprising number of unexpected events and challenges in 2022, this effort (and others)_ have been delayed/paused since August.

However, acoustic tests of the drivers have confirmed factory data regarding their suitability for the intended project... for example, for the 5FE120:

Name:	5FE120 0 Deg.png
Views:	409
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	927592

Harmonic distortion is even better than expected, HD2 being about -60 dB relative to the output.

A test enclosure is ready for final assembly, but with the current priority workload scheduled that will likely not occur before the beginning of February. A planar loaded port system is planned at this time, to get the desired tuning and 40Hz cut off frequency in a small enclosure (15L).

DFAL
              Dark Force Acoustic Labs

Comment

• Evil Twin
                Super Senior Member
                • Nov 2004

It should also be noted that there is another version of this project which entered into consideration in the August/September time frame, one could call it the "Daisy Rey Supreme", with a custom loaded planar tweeter configuration in consideration, derived from the dipole version of the GRS PT-2522.

Name:	IMG_5653.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	621.1 KB
ID:	927594

Name:	IMG_5792.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	447.0 KB
ID:	927595

Of course, this would involve additional expense and effort - SMJ Audio might setup to supply these if demand occurs. This configuration has been developed for a much larger three way project, but obviously the tweeter may have a wider range of applications- 8 samples have been built so far.

The objective was to tune for the optimum extension and flatness of the planar driver, in comparison with the factory offerings, and this goal seems to have been fully realized.

Even the 45 degree off axis response is most satisfactory...

Name:	PT2522c Mod1 30 Deg 10dB-div.png
Views:	397
Size:	978.6 KB
ID:	927596

A test panel for this configuration has also been prepared.
                DFAL
                Dark Force Acoustic Labs

Comment

• duvixan
                  • Sep 2012

Thank you for answering! Any details about the "much larger three way projectā€‹"? What will be used for the bass section?

Comment

• Evil Twin
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Nov 2004

Four Dayton RSS210HF-4 woofers and four RSS265PR in each 12ā€ wide, 40ā€ tall woofers cabinet. the tweeter and midrange are in a separate module on top.

This project was originally undertaken with the E180HE woofers in mid, but their low midrange performance was not satisfactory, so the scope was increased about the same time we found out about the PS Audio FR30. Life has some strange coincidences at times.
                    DFAL
                    Dark Force Acoustic Labs

Comment

• duvixan
                      • Sep 2012

Oooh, I see... I assume you mean the PS FR30 inspired project, which I've been following too.
                      I thought there's another project in the works to convert the "Daisy Ray Supreme" into a full-blown 3-way

Comment

• Evil Twin
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Nov 2004

No, not at this time, though it could be possible with a simple approach- imagine just 1/2 of that LF cabinet, and then setting up a three way crossover. So, two 8" woofers in a shallower cabinet- assuming one ones to have at least 30" cabinet height - and the Daisy Rey Supreme as the top module. This could be straight forward to implement, because the drivers involved are very well behaved. I'd suggest a 400Hz crossover, like the SMJ-40 or the FR30. For a built in this configuration, I would leave the Daisy Rey Supreme (or standard) cabinet sealed.

Ideally, I'd say that would call for a potential modification to the currently planned Daisy Rey cabinets, making them wider, like the bass cabinet, or like another system in the works, the Modula PBD or PB. (PuriFi-Beyma-Dayon (with PR) or PB (PuriFi-BlieSMa) without PR. This is intended to be a 12" wide system also, more or less (current design is 12-1/2" wide) Using PuriFi PTT6.5X04 and BlieSMa T25A-6. Note the Modula PB(D) is intended to be a deep bass output and given the drivers involved, lower sensitivity. Not under consideration for a three way stack.
                        DFAL
                        Dark Force Acoustic Labs

Comment

• duvixan
                          • Sep 2012

May I ask why the 5fe120 was chosen, instead of something like an SB15xxx?

Comment

• JonMarsh
                            Mad Max Moderator
                            • Aug 2000

Now, if I was in a snarky mood, (and I am a bit after Jeff Beck's passing) I'd say just go measure one and find out...

šŸ˜

OTOH, I can elaborate a few points...
                            • I did a lot of Pro Audio system development long before I turned to messing around with consumer level stuff. Even then, I used Audax Pro parts in several "consumer" designs done in the 80's.
                            • The Faital 5FE120 uses what I would call the classic pro sound paper cone design profile, as also employed by many others including 18 Sound, (6ND430 for example) other Faital products (like the 6RS140) and now by PuriFi. Hmmm, maybe they know something the HiFi OEM's don't...
                            • The 5FE120 is designed for high power line arrays, and is quite robust as regards power handling for a driver of this size. Yet...
                            • The on axis performance is exemplary, with almost no detectable breakup mode, the distortion is very low, and the polar behavior at 45 degrees is remarkable for a driver of this size. Compare it to, say, an SB15CRC30-8 or SB15CAC30-8. Compare linearity, sensitivity vs. Xmax and polar response. Compare price.
                            • This part was the "winnah" for a selection contest for a wide range midrange driver for a center channel design of moderate cost that would play at Dolby Theater spec sound levels. Not home, Theater. Tip of the hat to Joe Isuzu.
                            • Because of the driver brands carried by popular distributors like Madisound, there's a tendency for the DIY crowd to just focus on Seas, Scanspeak, SB Acoustics, etc, because that's what they see at the big distributors. Parts Express dose carry some Faital parts, including this one. Like the big DIY distributors these days, they often have stocking and availability issues on many products- these aren't expected back in until early February. Just keep in mind there's a big wide world across the pond, that with current Euro to USD exchange rates can be very attractive, and you just might be surprised at delivery times- I just ordered eight of the new version SL26R passive radiator from Europe on Sunday evening, and they arrived on Wednesday.
                            Of course, my last point is that this is DIY, and there's nothing to prevent you or anyone else from taking these ideas and implementing them with YOUR preferred parts! Right?

'Nuff said?

Name:	5FE120 Spec Large.png
Views:	372
Size:	320.2 KB
ID:	927807ā€‹ā€‹ā€‹ā€‹ā€‹ā€‹ā€‹

the AudioWorx
                            Natalie P
                            M8ta
                            Modula Neo DCC
                            Modula MT XE
                            Modula Xtreme
                            Isiris
                            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                            Minerva Monitor
                            Calliope
                            Ardent D

In Development...
                            Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                            Obi-Wan
                            Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                            Modula PWB
                            Calliope CC Supreme
                            Natalie P Ultra
                            Natalie P Supreme
                            Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                            Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• duvixan
                              • Sep 2012

I hope not too snarky...
                              Truth is, I have a pair of 5fe120 which I bought on a whim (and also fountek fw135h) and I was extremely surprised seeing them mentioned and considered for projects here on htguide.
                              Never thought they could be highly regarded, esp. considering the price (I'm in Europe and got a pair for under 60eur delivered).
                              I guess I was curious to find out what makes it so special.
                              Anyways, thank you for the detailed answer. Looking forward for updates on these...

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                Mad Max Moderator
                                • Aug 2000

A little more about this...

The Daisy Rey is literally a spin off from the CC work. What I saw was an opportunity to create a budget speaker that might truly perform out of it's class... The SB19ST tweeter is the first target for the CC. It is also a budget part that performs well out of its class. Combinations like this can be synergistic with the right characteristics:
                                • Very smooth Midwoofer response that will work well with a minimum complexity crossover, not requiring any notch filters to suppress break break up modes and resonance amplification of distortion products
                                • Good sensitivity, means more modest amplifiers will give good results.
                                • Wide off axis response gives wider application usage, as the power response is more uniform off axis and listening experience across the room or for background listening, even in another room, is better balanced.
                                • These would have good application as HT mains or surrounds in a mid range system on a budget. The tweaked "Supreme" version with planar tweeter is just me running amuck after considering relatively modestly priced possibilities, and is still relatively modestly priced, especially for a DIY effort willing to build the rear enclosure themselves.
                                • There is a wall mount or in wall mount surround speaker in development with a single 6RS140 woofer and probably a BlieSMa TB25A. Obviously, an MTM based on that driver is also possible, though a fair amount larger than the Daisy Rey concept. It would also be more focused on a HT mains application with base management, due to the Fs of the driver.

I'm not surprised at your delivered price, though obviously shipping to the Western USA is more pricy than in Europe- OTOH, I get excused from VAT!

Note, the SB19ST is only about $20 each over here. Not for low crossover frequencies, but a very nice part otherwise!

And the FW135 is a nice part, too, have a couple of pairs, but it's not as "nice" as the 5FE120!

the AudioWorx
                                Natalie P
                                M8ta
                                Modula Neo DCC
                                Modula MT XE
                                Modula Xtreme
                                Isiris
                                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                Minerva Monitor
                                Calliope
                                Ardent D

In Development...
                                Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                                Obi-Wan
                                Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                                Modula PWB
                                Calliope CC Supreme
                                Natalie P Ultra
                                Natalie P Supreme
                                Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                                Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Evil Twin
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Nov 2004

It is in "interesting times" that one is so busy with ongoing efforts that a worthy one becomes neglected...

In rare occasions, the introduction of new components does present significant opportunities, and that may be the case here, as regards this project, and the introduction of the Dayton SIG180-4.

In consideration of maximizing the "value proposition", size and LF loading can be adjusted, and in a very cost effective configuration, would work well with intelligent room placement ported in a 30L net enclosure.

Name:	Screenshot 2023-05-29 at 7.13.35 AM.png
Views:	190
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	938396

Options for a larger enclosure (40L suggested, similar to the high performance evolution of the Natalie P), and using PR can further extend the LF performance envelope, but with additional size and cost.

And while much progress has been made with the PT2522 MOD4 tweeter, it involves a complex modification and still requires a somewhat complex crossover if the driver peaks are to be ameliorated. I believe that as an "entry level" or high value proposition project, the SB Acoustics SB26CDC would be an effective choice...

I can confirm that the polar behavior behavior to 45 degrees is quite consistent, though the phase shield used muddles the upper frequency range behavior:

Name:	SB26CDC Polar.png
Views:	178
Size:	163.8 KB
ID:	938397

And removing the phase shield seems to have no deleterious effect in the audible range, and reveals clearly what should be addressed with a basic notch filter in the crossover...

Name:	NPS Polar.png
Views:	172
Size:	155.0 KB
ID:	938398

Of additional interest is the achievable performance in a low cost Visaton waveguide, and the distortion reduction below 4 kHz:

Name:	NPS LG-WG.png
Views:	185
Size:	176.1 KB
ID:	938399

Obviously, a number of issues remain to be investigated, but it is clear there is significant potential here... IF, the SIG180-4 lives up to the release technical data. With parts on order, that question should be answered in the reasonably near future.

DFAL
                                  Dark Force Acoustic Labs

Comment

Working...
                                  😀
                                  😂
                                  🥰
                                  😘
                                  🤢
                                  😎
                                  😞
                                  😡
                                  👍
                                  👎
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"