Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Srixon
    • Feb 2016

Time capsule quandary - Odin related

My wife and I were recently cleaning out a closet in a spare bedroom when we came across a large box. Apparently, about 16 years ago I was thinking of building a set of Thor speakers. The parts arrived and were immediately stowed away and forgotten.

The box indicates that it was delivered in December of 2006. Everything is complete and in good condition. The mid-woofers say VIFA PL11WG09. The tweeters say MOREL MDT 30-S. There are components for the crossovers, binding posts, two rather short ports, a pile of polyester filler, and what appears to be roughly 20 ft. sq. of a heavy black mat called Black Hole.

First, is any of this stuff even any good any longer, or has it been superceded by superior drivers?

Second, after more than 15 years I really no longer have much interest in towers and would prefer to build the Odins which, I believe, mostly use the same components.

Should I plan on upgrading the drivers? Should I make some changes in the values of the crossovers? Should I just box it all back up and forget about it? Are the cabinet plans for the Odins, which are still on the internet, still good? Should I make any changes to their cabinet plans? Building the cabinets won't be a problem at all since I have already built a pair of Carreras a couple of years ago (and I love them). This could be a fun winter project or is it a waste of time?

Thank you in advance for any help you can direct my way.

Click image for larger version

Name:	parts.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	872632
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

If you want to build "Odins", and they use the same drivers, then that's what you use. Different drivers will require a redesign in most cases on the crossover. If you have measurement and design capabilities, then the sky is the limit- indulge yourself!
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Srixon
      • Feb 2016

Originally posted by JonMarsh
      If you want to build "Odins", and they use the same drivers, then that's what you use. Different drivers will require a redesign in most cases on the crossover. If you have measurement and design capabilities, then the sky is the limit- indulge yourself!
      Therein lies the problem. I have zero measurement and design capabilities. I have woodworking abilities and can solder stuff together. But comparing the Thor and Odin kits online, it appears the only difference are the cabinets. My concerns are regarding just how old this kit I have is and have there been any improvements made to the crossovers between when mine was purchased and now. If there have been improvements, I would like to incorporate them into this build rather than build 15 year old technology. My other question is whether or not these will sound any better than the Carreras that I built a couple of years ago.

Comment

• technodanvan
        Super Senior Member
        • Nov 2009

Looks like the crossover for the Odin and Thor is identical, as are the speaker drivers themselves, so there's no reason you couldn't do that. The Madisound page lists a crossover for the Odin/Thor Mk3, so it is possible it has been updated since you made your purchase. I'm sure your kit came with a schematic, so we'd have to compare it to see what you have.

The Carrera is a high performing speaker but I would 'guess' the Odin would play lower and louder just from being a larger speaker with a pair of woofers. Anything beyond that is probably personal preference, as the Hiquphon tweeter in the Carrera is regarded by many as being very special (though I have not heard it myself) and the Scan-Speak driver, while small, is certainly no slouch. The Seas are still really nice drivers, though I would assume high value models of today (ceramic woofers from SB Acoustics come to mind, as does that Peerless tweeter of Jon's) are probably better in several ways.

If I had that kit, I'd almost certainly make it. Whatever you decide, I would not box it up and forget about it - the parts still hold some value (I mean, look at the cost on Madisound!) and it's certainly possible someone out there would be interested in your kit. If you're itching to make something but want to use modern drivers, I'd say sell the kit and use that money to buy what you really want.

Hope this helps!
        - Danny

Comment

• Efalegalo
          • Jan 2007

I agree with Danny - but I thought Thor and Odin used Seas drivers (not Vifa & Morel)?

You're in NOVA - I'm close by in MD. If you can build the enclosure, I can help with measurements.

Comment

• technodanvan
            Super Senior Member
            • Nov 2009

That's an excellent point, I was so caught up in researching the build I didn't catch the drivers on hand are definitely not from the kits I researched.
            - Danny

Comment

• Srixon
              • Feb 2016

Originally posted by Efalegalo
              I agree with Danny - but I thought Thor and Odin used Seas drivers (not Vifa & Morel)?

You're in NOVA - I'm close by in MD. If you can build the enclosure, I can help with measurements.

You raise a good point, but I can tell you that in December of 2006 the kit came with Vifa and Morel. This box was unmolested during all those years in my closet. It could be that everything has changed with regard to that kit over the years. All of which makes me wonder if I should bother building it.

Comment

• Efalegalo
                • Jan 2007

Do you have the plans? If so, I'd say build it. Otherwise changing the cabinetry (from the original design) might render some of the crossover parts on hand useless. For the cost of some building materials, you can have a nice set of speakers.

You may also want to think about where you plan on using the speakers.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"