Alternatives to Odin/Soloist for high-end MTM?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fryguy
    • Apr 2006

Alternatives to Odin/Soloist for high-end MTM?

Well, I am building a set of computer speakers, and I made some adjustments to the room and layout of things so that I got a good distance between the speakers and my listening position. Unlike standard computer speakers, I got my current setup (some random audax bookshelves) on stands, each about 54" away from me, and the spread of the 2 speakers is very large at about 7.5 feet.

I think that this type of distance and spread is enough to get me out of the nearfield and stop worrying about it so much, so I can pick speakers out more easily.

Unfortunately, some sacrifices had to be made to get this type of positioning. For one, the speaker separate is VERY wide, maybe too wide. Another is that 1 is right up against a wall, whereas 1 is centered on a wall and directly in front of a window. So the positioning isn't the best. Things like rear-porting have me worried a little bit.

Looking for a pair of speakers that will give me big sound like my Dayton Reference TMWW towers are capable of, but they must be stand mounted. Really leaning towards a premium MTM like soloist/odin, but want some other options as well.

Will probably end up using a sub, but I would like to get decent bass extension without it. And subwoofer positioning in the room is most likely going to be pretty poor, so if anything it'd be used only for boosting the first octave and maybe creeping into the second octave.

Also looking at some compact WMTWs like exodus LCR and maybe the center version of the dayton TMWWs that I have downstairs, though I'm not sure how well the dayton WMTWs work mounted vertically as opposed to horizontally.
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

The "new" smallish WMTW (PE 1 cu ft box) (described in the Speaker Camp thread see link below) will work fine in either horizontal or vertical orientation. And IMO would be a great PC speaker when used with a sub

Update 9/3/07, the official build thread for these speakers is located in the link below https://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27218 Here's some guy fine tuning the CAD drawing for the front baffles.... For obvious reasons we can't show the face of the person in these photographs....and if you think these
    Last edited by theSven; 17 August 2023, 20:13 Thursday. Reason: Update htguide url

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Landroval
      • Dec 2005

If you are looking for a big sound with good quality, Tony Gee's Proteus might a good choice. And it's a front ported design if you're worried about walls too close:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image002.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	948378Click image for larger version

Name:	image004.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	948379
      Last edited by theSven; 17 August 2023, 20:15 Thursday. Reason: Update image location and link

Comment

• Fryguy
        • Apr 2006

That's probably a bit TOO big. I need something that can sit on normal speaker stands.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"