X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 5th element
    Supreme Being Moderator
    • Sep 2009

The TL Be dome in Europe costs the same as the Be domes from SEAS and Scan.

Don't forget that the SS9900 and SS9700 are essentially the same tweeter but with different face plates. One of the advantages of the older scan tweeters is they have lower 2nd order products. Their 3rd order isn't quite as low as the newer stuff though. I've had my eye on the 71000 for a while, it seems like it performs just marginally better than the 6600 and I like it's sculpted rear chamber too, even if it's only really cosmetic.
    What you screamin' for, every five minutes there's a bomb or something. I'm leavin' Bzzzzzzz!
    5th Element, otherwise known as Matt.
    Now with website. www.5een.co.uk Still under construction.

Comment

• Jonasz
      • Nov 2004

Originally posted by 5th element
      Don't forget that the SS9900 and SS9700 are essentially the same tweeter but with different face plates.
      That is what I thought too but according to Jeff...

The 9700 has the same dome assembly and voice coil as the 9500, but it has the same motor shorting rings and cap as the 9900. It does not have ferrofluid. It has a smaller chamber, different pole-piece damping, and a different faceplate than the 9900. The 9900 differs from the 9700 in these ways as well as having a different dome too. The only thing the 9700 and 9900 share are the same SD-2 motor design and voice coil. The impedance curves are very similar, but the 9900 has a little higher midband sensitivity.
      I haven't used my 9900s for about 20 years or so but they were always my reference back in the days. I always assumed technology had moved on so they've been laying on the shelf ever since but now I think I'm going to wipe the dust off and let them sing again! Got a couple nice 6,5" I'm going to pair them up with. 8)

I think the 9900 were a little ahead if it's time with the wg wich wasn't really fashionable at the time, maybe that's why they never got the same popularity as the 9700, well that and the size and price...

Comment

• Hdale85
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

There any way to find out if it's really pure beryllium?

Comment

• Hdale85
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

Looks like the ES140Ti is back in stock Jon.

Comment

• 5th element
            Supreme Being Moderator
            • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Jonasz

I think the 9900 were a little ahead if it's time with the wg wich wasn't really fashionable at the time, maybe that's why they never got the same popularity as the 9700, well that and the size and price...
            Hmm as far as I know the dome/coil assembly for the 99 and 97 are the same. You can buy replacements from Madisound and the 93/95 share a part as do the 97/99. I thought the main difference was that the 93/95 had perforations in the former to allow the ferro to flow better, and the 97/99 obviously did not.
            What you screamin' for, every five minutes there's a bomb or something. I'm leavin' Bzzzzzzz!

Comment

• Jonasz
              • Nov 2004

Hmm as far as I know the dome/coil assembly for the 99 and 97 are the same. You can buy replacements from Madisound and the 93/95 share a part as do the 97/99. I thought the main difference was that the 93/95 had perforations in the former to allow the ferro to flow better, and the 97/99 obviously did not.
              I just checked because I was of the same opinion as you but they really are different. Apparantly 93/95/97 share the same dome and vc, unless there are typos over at Madisound.

Replacement Voice Coil for Scan-Speak D2905/9900 tweeter (290032)General Instructions for Repair:1. Remove the four small Torx screws (T8 bit) that hold the tweeter faceplate to the magnet assembly. Set aside.2. Remove the plastic ring. Set aside.3. Carefully remove the foam gasket. Set aside.4. Clip voice coil lead wires from solder tabs.5. Remove solder tabs. Discard.6. Remove voice coil assembly from magnet assembly. You may have to pry it out. Discard.7. Remove tape on new voice coil assembly.8. Fully insert new voice coil assembly into magnet assembly. Make sure to line up the voice coil lead wires with solder tab location.9. Insert new solder tabs.10. Solder voice coil lead wires to solder tabs.11. Replace foam gasket.12. Replace plastic ring.13. Replace face plate.14. Slowly tighten four Torx screws.

Replacement Voice Coil for Scan-speak tweeters D2905/9300  D2905/9500  D2905/9700 General Instructions for Repair:1. Remove the four small Torx screws (T8 bit) that hold the tweeter faceplate to the magnet assembly. Set aside.2. Remove the plastic ring. Set aside.3. Carefully remove the foam gasket. Set aside.4. Clip voice coil lead wires from solder tabs.5. Remove solder tabs. Discard.6. Remove voice coil assembly from magnet assembly. You may have to pry it out. Discard.7. Remove tape on new voice coil assembly.8. Fully insert new voice coil assembly into magnet assembly. Make sure to line up the voice coil lead wires with solder tab location.9. Insert new solder tabs.10. Solder voice coil lead wires to solder tabs.11. Replace foam gasket.12. Replace plastic ring.13. Replace face plate.14. Slowly tighten four Torx screws.  

Maybe the SS9800 could be another contender, best aluminium dome available rivalling the SS Berylliums in performance according to Troels.

Comment

• 5th element
                Supreme Being Moderator
                • Sep 2009

Interesting that's changed since I last looked, or perhaps I am remembering another website. Here I found it.

Self-assembly loudspeakers Filter components, building kits. Made-to-measure in Speaker construction. RumoH since 2006. Loudspeaker Repair, cabinet…

They sell the same part for both and then something different for the 93/95.

Self-assembly loudspeakers Filter components, building kits. Made-to-measure in Speaker construction. RumoH since 2006. Loudspeaker Repair, cabinet…

I guess we will never know. I did try and buy a replacement for the 97 from wilmslow audio a long time ago, I still haven't repaired that tweeter, but whatever it was they shipped to me wasn't the same as what was in the tweeter and it wouldn't align properly in the gap either. Needless to say I sent it back.

The good old russian chap has done a recent measurement of the 99 too. So now he's done with the 99 and 97. They are very similar in distortion performance and both perform very well. The 99 is ever so slightly better though.

It is a fantastic tweeter.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                  Mad Max Moderator
                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Hdale85
                  Looks like the ES140Ti is back in stock Jon.
                  It's the ES180ti that's been out- I will order some more ES140ti shortly- after back from this next trip!
                  the AudioWorx
                  Natalie P
                  M8ta
                  Modula Neo DCC
                  Modula MT XE
                  Modula Xtreme
                  Isiris
                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                  Minerva Monitor
                  Calliope
                  Ardent D

In Development...
                  Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                  Obi-Wan
                  Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                  Modula PWB
                  Calliope CC Supreme
                  Natalie P Ultra
                  Natalie P Supreme
                  Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                  Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Hdale85
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2006

Oh well a week ago or so the 140 was out as well.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                      Mad Max Moderator
                      • Aug 2000

Interesting that's changed since I last looked, or perhaps I am remembering another website. Here I found it.

They sell the same part for both and then something different for the 93/95.

I guess we will never know. I did try and buy a replacement for the 97 from wilmslow audio a long time ago, I still haven't repaired that tweeter, but whatever it was they shipped to me wasn't the same as what was in the tweeter and it wouldn't align properly in the gap either. Needless to say I sent it back.

The good old russian chap has done a recent measurement of the 99 too. So now he's done with the 99 and 97. They are very similar in distortion performance and both perform very well. The 99 is ever so slightly better though.

It is a fantastic tweeter.

thanks for the links- checked that out. Guess the only thing to do is buy a pair and test them, too!
                      the AudioWorx
                      Natalie P
                      M8ta
                      Modula Neo DCC
                      Modula MT XE
                      Modula Xtreme
                      Isiris
                      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                      Minerva Monitor
                      Calliope
                      Ardent D

In Development...
                      Obi-Wan
                      Modula PWB
                      Calliope CC Supreme
                      Natalie P Ultra
                      Natalie P Supreme
                      Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                        Mad Max Moderator
                        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Face
                        Doesn't sound right to me either.

You can get them from Solen for $300 each. Considering what their ceramic dome units sold for, and that others have bought them direct from TL at that price, I guess it's real. Something else to put on the purchase and test list.... maybe first!
                        the AudioWorx
                        Natalie P
                        M8ta
                        Modula Neo DCC
                        Modula MT XE
                        Modula Xtreme
                        Isiris
                        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                        Minerva Monitor
                        Calliope
                        Ardent D

In Development...
                        Obi-Wan
                        Modula PWB
                        Calliope CC Supreme
                        Natalie P Ultra
                        Natalie P Supreme
                        Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Hdale85
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Jan 2006

Yea that's a steal for a BE tweeter.

Comment

• 5th element
                            Supreme Being Moderator
                            • Sep 2009

Originally posted by JonMarsh
                            thanks for the links- checked that out. Guess the only thing to do is buy a pair and test them, too!
                            Haha, thumbs up for the good old revelator. It's funny really the design is pretty old and for all of scan-speaks new tweeters, it still manages to hold its own, most notably is the fact that 2nd order is much lower than their newer offerings.

Comment

• Hdale85
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Jan 2006

Are the older revelator tweeters cheaper now?

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                Mad Max Moderator
                                • Aug 2000

It's 5:20 in the morning, I'm at a nearby Starbucks to home, I've got a full tank of gas, and it's 866 miles to Burlington WA. No cop tires, no cop suspension, just a Honda Element in good shape with a 5' X 9' motorcycle trailer behind me, and a lot of miles to go in front of me. Should be there Friday afternoon.... where that RADD suspension Yamaha GTS1000 is waiting for me.

Road Trip! :B

I think my GF thinks this is the craziest thing I've done since I met her... OTOH, that big shipment of LBL for the new speaker project arrived while we were down in Santa Barbara, so we may be running neck and neck on these two events.... :W
                                the AudioWorx
                                Natalie P
                                M8ta
                                Modula Neo DCC
                                Modula MT XE
                                Modula Xtreme
                                Isiris
                                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                Minerva Monitor
                                Calliope
                                Ardent D

In Development...
                                Obi-Wan
                                Modula PWB
                                Calliope CC Supreme
                                Natalie P Ultra
                                Natalie P Supreme
                                Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                  Mad Max Moderator
                                  • Aug 2000

Haha, thumbs up for the good old revelator. It's funny really the design is pretty old and for all of scan-speaks new tweeters, it still manages to hold its own, most notably is the fact that 2nd order is much lower than their newer offerings.
                                  Well, you guys have convinced me for now- I'm ordering a pair of these to check out. But I'll probably also order a pair of the Be TL tweeters. And at this rate, there will have to be three versions of the NatalieP ES, all with different tweeters- choose your preference! Maybe 4, if the ceramic TL N26 requires different optimizations than the Be N26.

I had a weird dream last week, too- an outlandish system, a 2.5 way with the 5.5's and four of the ES180's in each cabinet for the 0.5 way part. Yes, that's 2-5.5" and 4 7" in each cabinet. Must have been something I ate... :B
                                  the AudioWorx
                                  Natalie P
                                  M8ta
                                  Modula Neo DCC
                                  Modula MT XE
                                  Modula Xtreme
                                  Isiris
                                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                  Minerva Monitor
                                  Calliope
                                  Ardent D

In Development...
                                  Obi-Wan
                                  Modula PWB
                                  Calliope CC Supreme
                                  Natalie P Ultra
                                  Natalie P Supreme
                                  Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Hdale85
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Jan 2006

Doesn't sound that crazy, my Dynamic 4t's aren't far off with the 4 RS180's and 2 tangband 4" mids lol. Although 4 ES180's gets pricey!

Comment

• ---k---
                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                      • Nov 2005

If Jon ever has a garage sale, it might be worth driving a Uhaul from Chicago to Livermore and back for.
                                      - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                                      CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                                      CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Hdale85
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Jan 2006

You got that right!

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"